U.S. Pairs 2020-21 season - News & Updates, Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

olympic

Bump.

Good job in the LP by K/F at WTT! They scored 133.63

It looks like they hit a 3-2-2 cleanly! Then, mostly Lv4s except a BoDs Lv2, and a smaller issue on the SBS 3S w/ neg. GOE. Rotated and no falls

Would be great to see a video

ETA - Little oopsie on the throw 3F [hands down]

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Bump.

Good job in the LP by K/F at WTT! They scored 133.63

It looks like they hit a 3-2-2 cleanly! Then, mostly Lv4s except a BoDs Lv2, and a smaller issue on the SBS 3S w/ neg. GOE. Rotated and no falls

Would be great to see a video

Watched it just now on Peacock. They were great. Was great to see that three jump combo. Only mishap was her landing on the next side-by-side jump

They came in second place in the free skate! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

It was great in the kiss and cry, letting out a shout when the score came up!

Sylvia

TBD
TeamUSA.org's WTT Day 3 article includes quotes from Alexa & Chris Knierim as well as Brandon: https://www.teamusa.org/News/2021/A...Place-Behind-Team-Russia-At-World-Team-Trophy
“This feels like the longest season of my career, just because of training days at home and the virtuals we’ve done,” Knierim said. “So before we took to the ice today, Brandon brought me to the side and said, ‘One year ago, we were doing lifts and falling on things in the parking lot, just trying to learn each other’s timing. It’s incredible we are here. Let’s just let everything go, of course fight, but stop trying to be perfect and just do this for each other.’”
Knierim and Frazier weren’t perfect on Friday — Knierim put her hands down on a throw flip and stepped out of a triple Salchow — but their elements were high-quality, and they maintained ease and flow throughout their four-minute routine. They even showed off a new skill: a three-jump combination of triple toe loop, followed by two double toes.
Their free skate score, 133.63, was more than six points higher than that earned at the 2021 World Figure Skating Championships in Stockholm last month, where they placed seventh.
“We were very proud to put on our three-jump combo,” Knierim said. “We train it at home in our run-throughs, but it wasn’t quite ready for the world championships, so we decided this is a really good opportunity to put it out here. It’s a confidence boaster moving forward.”
“Alexa and I are very proud of how this season went, not on the basis of results but because of how quickly we were able to gel with the technical elements,” Frazier said. “We both came from long term partnerships, so it’s not necessarily easy to hit these high-powered tricks this quickly. … Overall, this has taught us so many things to progress even further on the ladder for next season.”
“They need to get out into international atmosphere in front of international judges,” Chris [Knierim] said. “Next year, they could be a very competitive team, if they can get out more often and get those nerves dealt with and gone for the latter part of the season.”
“I’m pretty excited to get going in the off-season working on their twist, some of the throws, along with their coaches, Jenni and Todd,” Chris said. “Now that they’ve competed with the program, they have an idea what they like to do with the (order of the) elements, so that will probably change, and they will be even more comfortable next season.”

acraven

The promo for the next episode of the PBS documentary series Human: The World Within, indicates that it's going to have some skating content. This is the description of the episode: "Dive into the stories of a pairs figure skating team, a perfumer, a cave explorer and a musician to decipher how different ways of sensing the world all create their own vivid and unique picture."

There was a brief clip of a pair team, not really identifiable by me, but the voiceover referred to "Tara(h)" and the male partner could have been Danny. I'm thinking Kayne and O'Shea, though it could be Tarah with someone else or a different Tara(h).

The show airs in my East Coast hometown at 10 PM on Wednesday (May 26) EDT.

Sylvia

TBD
The promo for the next episode of the PBS documentary series Human: The World Within, indicates that it's going to have some skating content. This is the description of the episode: "Dive into the stories of a pairs figure skating team, a perfumer, a cave explorer and a musician to decipher how different ways of sensing the world all create their own vivid and unique picture."

There was a brief clip of a pair team, not really identifiable by me, but the voiceover referred to "Tara(h)" and the male partner could have been Danny. I'm thinking Kayne and O'Shea, though it could be Tarah with someone else or a different Tara(h).

The show airs in my East Coast hometown at 10 PM on Wednesday (May 26) EDT.
Yes, Kayne/O'Shea - here's a longer clip (eta that I believe this was filmed at the Monument, CO rink last July): https://www.pbs.org/video/proprioception-sixth-sense-q3wgxi/

I'll cross-post in the PBS thread in OTBT.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Katie McBeath/Nathan Bartholomay's 2021-22 FS program is to "The Blower’s Daughter" performed by Christina Aguilera & Chris Mann, choreographed by Cindy Stuart. On Ice Perspectives' 1+ minute clip filmed at Great Park Ice was posted yesterday: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CPQggS4HAXO/

ETA the other U.S. Pairs info that has been posted in the Programs & Choreographers thread:

Audrey Lu & Misha Mitrofanov: FS to "Ancient Lands" by Ronan Hardiman (choreo. by Olga Ganicheva, I assume)
OIP's 50-second clip of the beginning section (posted on April 15): https://www.instagram.com/p/CNtKdozHCg2/

Misha Ge shared this photo from the Artesia, CA rink on May 6: https://www.instagram.com/p/COjJ_yOJtoL/
Ashley Cain-Gribble / Timothy LeDuc SP - The White Crow [2019 film soundtrack - original music composed by Ilan Eshkeri]

Ashley shared this photo on April 23: https://www.instagram.com/p/COBc8rXjchC/
"Thank you Pasquale [Camerlengo] for all of your amazing work over the years! Excited to show you all what we have been working on☺️"

@Wyliefan posted the 2021 U.S. Junior Pairs champs' info last Thursday:

Anastasiia Smirnova & Danil Siianytsia
SP: "Dixie Biscuits" by Tape Five (kept from previous season)
Choreographed by Randi Strong

FS: "Je Suis Malade" by Lara Fabian
Choreographed by Trudy Oltmanns

Last edited:

aml78

Aljona Savchenko was released from Germany to compete for the US with...TJ Nyman?!?? This is just wrong.

Sylvia

TBD
Misha Ge shared this photo from the Artesia, CA rink on May 6: https://www.instagram.com/p/COjJ_yOJtoL/
Ashley Cain-Gribble / Timothy LeDuc SP - The White Crow [2019 film soundtrack - original music composed by Ilan Eshkeri]

Ashley shared this photo on April 23: https://www.instagram.com/p/COBc8rXjchC/
"Thank you Pasquale [Camerlengo] for all of your amazing work over the years! Excited to show you all what we have been working on☺️"
Timothy LeDuc mentioned in his IG Live conversation with Eliot Halverson yesterday (at 7:30 in USFS' IGTV video linked here) that he and Ashley are bringing back their 2018-19 free skate to the W.E. film soundtrack by Abel Korzeniowski, choreographed by Pasquale Camerlengo.

LeDuc also mentioned that he identifies as a "non-binary person" and his "pronouns are they/them" after the 6-min. mark of the chat.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
LeDuc also mentioned that he identifies as a "non-binary person" and his "pronouns are they/them" after the 6-min. mark of the chat.
I also really liked their discussion about the heavily gendered roles in skating. Timothy said they prefer to refer to themself as the "lifting partner" when discussing their role in the pair. I loved that.

skylark

Timothy LeDuc mentioned in his IG Live conversation with Eliot Halverson yesterday (at 7:30 in USFS' IGTV video linked here) that he and Ashley are bringing back their 2018-19 free skate to the W.E. film soundtrack by Abel Korzeniowski, choreographed by Pasquale Camerlengo.
I'm happy to hear this. I was actually wondering a few days ago if they'd consider this. I think it will lift their performances and give their confidence a boost. It's such a perfect program for them.

Also, I think Ashley and Timothy are among the skaters who really are lifted by response from audiences, so that may well have contributed to their struggles of the past year. I have a good feeling about their journey, going forward. Whether or not in terms of placements and medals.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap

Should Tim also get a thread? Everyone else coming out today has his own thread! They shouldn't be left out! (I know Tim was already out as gay, but I do not believe they have come out as non-binary before.)

olympic

Well Cain & LeDuc have certainly improved their throws.... wowza! +5 from the Los Angeles judge!!!! 🥰

Jeebus were those improved. Ash even had a slight delay I think

Spiralgraph

Well Cain & LeDuc have certainly improved their throws.... wowza! +5 from the Los Angeles judge!!!! 🥰

Oooh, much better indeed. I'm impressed. I hope they keep improving in all areas until Nationals.:cheer2:

skylark

What event are you referring to, with the Los Angeles judge? Is there more? I'm avid for more ...

Sylvia

TBD
What event are you referring to, with the Los Angeles judge?
Pretty sure ANL was referring to himself. ;)

Just realized I haven't posted the news in this thread that Laiken Lockley has paired up with Jedidiah Isbell, according to Stefania Berton's Instagram post back in mid-May (they're the masked team with John Kerr on the left in the first photo & in the 3rd photo; Isabelle Martins/Ryan Bedard are on the right): https://www.instagram.com/p/CO4Rrr9rJxk/

ETA: Lockley turns 19 after July 1, 2021 so she & Isbell, 19, are ISU Junior age-eligible in 2021-22. I’m told John Kerr choreographed their SP, as well as the Junior SP of their training mates in Geneva, Illinois (Rockne Brubaker's rink) - 2021 Junior Pairs silver medalists Martins/Bedard (Rohene Ward choreographed their FS).

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I also really liked their discussion about the heavily gendered roles in skating. Timothy said they prefer to refer to themself as the "lifting partner" when discussing their role in the pair. I loved that.
:wall: Huge groan.

Sylvia

TBD
So... Chris Knierim has paired up with Ellie Korytek? Here's a video of a quad twist:
AFAIK, he's been helping coach her. She placed 3rd in Novice Pairs with Allen Fisher in the virtual Championship Series this past season. Here's a slo-mo 4twist clip of Ellie and Chris from April, filmed by Jordan Cowan: https://www.instagram.com/p/COEFA6GH0Gh/
She's gutsy! :D

Sylvia

TBD
There are now 11 pairs listed in USFS' International Selection Pool as of today (the 3 junior medalist teams from 2021 Nationals are all ISU Junior age-eligible in 2021-22):

Ashley Cain-Gribble and Timothy LeDuc
Jessica Calalang and Brian Johnson
Emily Chan and Spencer Howe
Alexa Knierim and Brandon Frazier
Chelsea Liu and Danny O'Shea (new, based in Irvine, CA)
Audrey Lu and Misha Mitrofanov
Isabelle Martins and Ryan Bedard [J2]
Katie McBeath and Nathan Bartholomay
Catherine Rivers and Timmy Chapman [J4]
Olivia Serafini and Mervin Tran
Anastasiia Smirnova and Danil Siianytsia [J1]

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
There are now 11 pairs listed in USFS' International Selection Pool as of today (the 3 junior medalist teams from 2021 Nationals are all ISU Junior age-eligible in 2021-22):

Ashley Cain-Gribble and Timothy LeDuc
Jessica Calalang and Brian Johnson
Emily Chan and Spencer Howe
Alexa Knierim and Brandon Frazier
Chelsea Liu and Danny O'Shea (new, based in Irvine, CA)
Audrey Lu and Misha Mitrofanov
Isabelle Martins and Ryan Bedard [J2]
Katie McBeath and Nathan Bartholomay
Catherine Rivers and Timmy Chapman [J4]
Olivia Serafini and Mervin Tran
Anastasiia Smirnova and Danil Siianytsia [J1]

Oh yay! I'm happy to see Danny O'Shea has a partner, and they're in a good group there. This could be a very interesting pair.
I'm glad to see Chelsea Liu is back skating for the US. I was disappointed when she switched to China a couple seasons ago because I thought she had longterm potential for the US.

And it's great to see Danny O'Shea continuing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information