U.S. Pairs 2020-21 season - News & Updates, Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiralgraph

Color me pleasantly surprised that Danny has a new partner. He's a very good skater who hasn't reached his potential, IMO.
And although many here don't consider Tarah a strong skater I'm still hoping she finds a new partner if she wishes to continue.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Oh wait .... I'm taking Delilah out of the whole equation though. There's other coaches that are not her. That's fully what I meant. 😳
She needed a partner who wasn't going to the Olympics this season since she's not eligible. Now, there likely will be a shake up after the Olympics--there always is--and she may be looking to a partner that she can go to Worlds and 4CC with and win. Now, O'Shea probably won't be going, but he has the chance that he could and isn't likely to give up that chance.

Jayar

She needed a partner who wasn't going to the Olympics this season since she's not eligible. Now, there likely will be a shake up after the Olympics--there always is--and she may be looking to a partner that she can go to Worlds and 4CC with and win. Now, O'Shea probably won't be going, but he has the chance that he could and isn't likely to give up that chance.
There is absolutely zero chance of Danny making the Olympic team with Chelsea. She can NOT jump.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
There is absolutely zero chance of Danny making the Olympic team with Chelsea. She can NOT jump.

Well this is my opinion. She’s usually crooked in the air and then usually falls. But someone who I’ve befriended on here is telling me she has improved. So we shall see

Jayar

Well this is my opinion. She’s usually crooked in the air and then usually falls. But someone who I’ve befriended on here is telling me she has improved. So we shall see
Are you considering body of work? That leaves four teams with a legitimate shot at the team-- Scimeca/Frazier, Calalang/Johnson, Gribble/LeDuc, and maybe Lu/Mitrofanov. Two of the four of these will be the team.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Are you considering body of work? That leaves four teams with a legitimate shot at the team-- Scimeca/Frazier, Calalang/Johnson, Gribble/LeDuc, and maybe Lu/Mitrofanov. Two of the four of these will be the team.
Do we honestly believe that BOW is going to come into play for the pairs spots? I can't see it being a factor if one of S/F, C/J or C-G/L are in the top two (or top three if Savchenko/Nyman are 1st or 2nd). The only way BOW is going to factor here is if the gold, silver and bronze medalists at Nats are some combination of Lu/Mitrofanov, Savchenko/Nyman, Serafini/Tran, Liu/O'Shea, McBeath/Bartholomay, or Chan/Howe. I don't see the USFS being sussed enough over the 2nd pairs spot on the Olympic team to bring BOW into the assignment discussion as long as one of the 3 leading teams makes the team based on their placement at Nationals alone.

skylark

I'm very happy that Danny is getting a chance to skate pairs again. I've always enjoyed watching him.
The jumps are the question. I think Chelsea and Danny may well be a beautiful pair together. There's no question that Tarah and Danny had a spark and charisma together, but I think Chelsea and Danny may match up in style. Chelsea has been working at the Jenni/Todd rink in Irvine for many months now. So she may have been able to work with Rafael on jumps. Who knows?

I will be fascinated to see Danny perform a triple twist with someone new. His with Tarah was always a weak spot (to put it mildly). Tarah said or wrote in their blog years ago that the problem was that she began rotating too soon out of the throw. They worked on it, but in competition she apparently reverted to old habit. Of course, with a new partner, either or both may learn a new technique altogether. With Chris Knierim on the coaching staff, the twist prospect seems hopeful.

Here's a clip from another US pair at Irvine, Katie McBeath and Nate Bartholomay, filmed by On Ice Perspectives. I am simply blown away by their speed, joy and love of skating. It's the first time I've liked The Blower's Daughter, too. I realize that's a minority opinion.

Sylvia

TBD
From post #1 of this thread (July 1, 2020):
Starting a new season thread since the team envelopes were published today.
Natasha Mishkutionok & Daniel Tioumentsev N1 (Team D)
Sonia Baram & Blake Edwards N3 (Team D)
Sonia Baram, 13(?), and Daniel Tioumentsev, 19, are a new Junior team based in Irvine, CA - here's his reel of clips showing the "progress of our Triple Twist" with Chris Knierim spotting/helping them: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CQrsMCOFmfG/

Cain-Gribble/LeDuc are in Finland for a 2-week camp with Nina Mozer's group - Ashley's DFW airport photo/post 2 days ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQmT_WTjRgJ/

Last edited:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Chelsea Liu has shared a clip of a lift with Danny O'Shea via her Instagram (filmed by Jordan Cowan & uploaded to his TikTok account): https://www.instagram.com/reel/CQsOq5aFQAS/
It's one lift, but they're both smiling and look happy. I imagine after everything that has gone on in the last year (especially with Danny's coaching situation then split), it feels nice to be skating and in what seems to be a pretty good group. Best of luck to them.

Sylvia

TBD
Chelsea Liu has shared a clip of a lift with Danny O'Shea via her Instagram (filmed by Jordan Cowan & uploaded to his TikTok account): https://www.instagram.com/reel/CQsOq5aFQAS/
Jordan has uploaded a longer clip to his OIP Instagram account and it's from Liu/O'Shea's short program ("Lover" by Taylor Swift, choreo. by Adam Rippon): https://www.instagram.com/p/CQtX7NYnYpd/

Short article confirming Liu/O'Shea's new partnership based on Chelsea's Instagram post last night:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Jordan has uploaded a longer clip to his OIP Instagram account and it's from Liu/O'Shea's short program ("Lover" by Taylor Swift, choreo. by Adam Rippon): https://www.instagram.com/p/CQtX7NYnYpd/
I'm sure this will be a less popular opinion, but I adore Taylor Swift and "Lover" and from that snippet it looks like a great choice for them. Very exciting stuff.

semillon27

What the heck is going on with C/J? Certainly they have good enough scores for at least 1 if not 2 GP events yet they aren't listed at all?

Maybe they've just decided to stay as safe as possible and avoid international travel for the time being? Though I suppose that doesn't explain why they wouldn't be at Skate America at least.

Jammers

Maybe they've just decided to stay as safe as possible and avoid international travel for the time being? Though I suppose that doesn't explain why they wouldn't be at Skate America at least.
Avoiding all competition is idiotic now. It was one thing to turn down Worlds but now it's just becoming ridiculous. They either have to be injured or have broken up. To bad they had huge potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information