U.S. Pairs 2020-21 season - News & Updates, Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Pfund/Santillan were removed from team envelopes and ISP recently, so maybe they have retired.

Awww, I'll be sorry if that's the case. They've struggled through so much. I was hoping to see them have a good season after they came back from so many injuries to compete well at 2020 U.S. Nationals. But I suppose with the uncertainty still looming regarding a full season, it's difficult for some skaters to make it financially and logistically. Some of the splits and retirements are surely due to the current health crisis impacts.

I guess we'll hear soon one way or the other. I really enjoy watching Joshica! ♥

Bob Mc

Awww, I'll be sorry if that's the case. They've struggled through so much. I was hoping to see them have a good season after they came back from so many injuries to compete well at 2020 U.S. Nationals. But I suppose with the uncertainty still looming regarding a full season, it's difficult for some skaters to make it financially and logistically. Some of the splits and retirements are surely due to the current health crisis impacts.

I guess we'll hear soon one way or the other. I really enjoy watching Joshica! ♥
I can tell you that Jessica and Josh are NOT retiring!
They are still struggling with some ongoing injuries and their medical team recommended to take a break for a month or so to fully recover. They have just completed choreography on two new programs.
They have decided not to participate in any international competitions, if any are held, during this challenging health crisis.
They will continue full training as soon as they give their bodies a chance to fully heal.

skylark

Awww, this is a sweet Father's Day pic with Todd Sand and sons:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBuUxC7JBOy/

Todd/Jenni's oldest son resembles Jenni quite a bit, and their youngest son resembles Todd a lot. ♥

Both of their sons appear to have inherited Jenni's red hair. :)

You're spot on, with the resemblances! That's a lovely picture. And don't forget, Todd's hair used to be red too, slightly paler than Jenni's, before his hair followed suit with his last name and turned sandy. :)

skylark

Reading that list of team envelopes got me wondering which pairs do are in Jim Peterson's camp now? KateMcBeath/Nate Bartholomay are with Jenni Meno and Todd Sand now. All I can think of are Pfund/Santillian. What pairs am I missing?
I've been wondering about Jim Peterson too. P/S have been coached by Lyndon Johnson for several years; Josh's blog cited less expense as a factor. I heard that Jim had moved to Detroit; I'm not sure whether the source meant temporarily or permanently. He coached younger teams as well, though. I wonder, too, about Amanda Evora.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^

Reading that list of team envelopes got me wondering which pairs are in Jim Peterson's camp now?

This was discussed in the previous thread when we were informed of the news that Peterson & Evora were relocating to Michigan. Below is a link to page 43 where the discussion began. I'll also re-post the initial news by @Bob Mc from that previous thread:

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/u-s-pairs-2019-20-season-news-updates-part-x.105722/page-43

Bob Mc said:
Just a FYI on some coaching moves that I am aware of... Jim Peterson and Amanda Evora have not worked at the Ellenton, Florida rink for a few months.. I understand they will ultimately move to a rink in Michigan sometime this summer. I believe that their former pair teams have moved on to other rinks.. even though nobody is currently training in this environment. Lyndon Johnston and Cindy Caprel remain as the primary pair and senior figure skating team coaches at the Ellenton, FL rink.

To my knowledge Nate Bartholomew and his new partner have relocated to California to train, don't know anyone planning to go to Michigan.

It seems as if Jim and Amanda are planning to start afresh. What rink in Michigan are they moving to I wonder?

Sylvia

TBD
It seems as if Jim and Amanda are planning to start afresh. What rink in Michigan are they moving to I wonder?
Canton (Arctic FSC): https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2910213895691624&id=136154196430955
I don't know if one or both have relocated yet.

I posted in the previous thread about Blake Eisenach, 20, and Grace Knoop, 19, splitting (they were in the ISP last season and withdrew due to injury from the Junior Pairs event before the start of 2020 Nationals after having skated injured at the Pairs Final). Blake had hip surgery back in May and has been rehabbing in his home state of Colorado; he listed Peterson/Evora on his IPS profile in January 2020: http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=6762
Last I heard, Grace is looking for a new partner as well and is still with Peterson/Evora.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Hidden on Alexa's Instagram, sbs triple salchows from her and Brandon: :D

Yep, those sbs jumps look good. (y) So with the extra time, I hope they keep coming along with their training and get a chance to compete even if at local competitions and virtual competitions. I look forward to seeing their programs. :)

Sylvia

TBD
From the previous U.S. Pairs thread:
Lockley/Prochnow have a new SP by Rohene Ward. No music listed yet, but see her stories for a glimpse of choreography.
See Keenan Prochnow's Instagram stories for a clip from their "work in progress" program and happy 18th birthday to Laiken today! https://www.instagram.com/p/CC6SP6Pgmyj/

ETA that Laiken Lockley has posted their SP music along with the same video clip that Keenan shared: https://www.instagram.com/p/CC6rRjMBKGd/
"🎵: you & me - flume remix" [originally by Disclosure]

Last edited:

olympic

Calalang/Johnson interview by @clairecloutier as they launch their new official website today:

They are keeping their SP and have a new FS to "Who Wants To Live Forever" (version by The Tenors featuring violinist Lindsey Stirling), choreographed by Cindy Stuart.

Good to hear. As an uber - I liked the SP, but thought their LP music was a little snooze-worthy. It's a guess, but maybe they chose the elevator music last year for the LP because it would be simple for them to focus on more technically demanding elements as a new couple.

skylark

Good to hear. As an uber - I liked the SP, but thought their LP music was a little snooze-worthy. It's a guess, but maybe they chose the elevator music last year for the LP because it would be simple for them to focus on more technically demanding elements as a new couple.
Agree. And it certainly worked! Remembering the way they progressed last year every time they competed, it was smart.

One of the more interesting bits of this interview was the information that they recognized they need to create more intricate choreography this year. And I'm looking forward to seeing their new lifts.

olympic

Agree. And it certainly worked! Remembering the way they progressed last year every time they competed, it was smart.

One of the more interesting bits of this interview was the information that they recognized they need to create more intricate choreography this year. And I'm looking forward to seeing their new lifts.

Seeing Brian in a onesie is the highlight of the FS season for me

Sylvia

TBD
30-second clip of Knierim/Frazier practicing a program: https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/1290303016751394816

2020 Junior silver medalists Smirnova/Siianytsia competed both of their Junior programs at the Skate Shakopee club competition in Minnesota (near where they train) this past weekend and their protocols are linked below:
52.98 in SP: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/nonqual_results/2020/29627/SEGM004.html
94.52 in FS: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/nonqual_results/2020/29627/SEGM014.html

aftershocks

Banned Member
30-second clip of Knierim/Frazier practicing a program: https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/1290303016751394816

Thanks. I came here to post the same re the Alexa & Brandon clip. They look very strong (athletic & energetic) and in good sync together. Here's the original clip on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDbn287ATsY/

I'm wondering why we're asked by USfigureskating to guess at the music they're skating to when there's no sound on the link. Give us more of a clue, my goodness! It could be anything. :lol:

I saw that news about Jessica & Brian too. It's a nice article by Claire. I don't see the actual link though to their new website on FigureSkatersOnline.

The below appears to be a former website?

https://jessicabrian.com/

ETA:
Scratch that. Here's their new website:

The cover photo is so lovely and a special moment from their wonderful fp last season. ♥

As noted on the website (and probably already mentioned), C/J are apparently keeping their delightful Light of the Seven (Game of Thrones soundtrack) sp from last season (choreo by Benoit Richaud). :love: And they're working on a new fp, again with Cindy Stuart who did such a wonderful fp job for them last season with choreo to You Are the Reason (Calum Scott/Leona Lewis).

At 2:20 in this additional USFigureSkating (social media rundown) clip co-hosted by Jason Brown, we see a brief shot of Kayne/O'Shea "up to something special," but no deets are shared. ;)

^^ Ash & Tim also feature in the above social media clip, as well as Lu/Mitrofanov doing an energetic workout ('spider-man' style -- the original clip was posted here previously by @Sylvia). Plus, icegirlash celebrated her birthday on July 22:

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
From the C/J interview with Claire:
"They will skate to a cover of Queen’s 'Who Wants to Live Forever,' performed by The Tenors, featuring violinist Lindsey Stirling."

A very dramatic rendition by The Tenors and Lindsey Stirling. The music video is fun to watch too. :) I look forward to seeing C/J perform Cindy Stuart's choreo to this piece.

Wow re C/J's indication that they have been working on even more difficult lifts and more intricate choreo. Their lifts from this past season were already so amazing! It's definitely phenomenal how the entire international pairs field continues to innovate -- there have been lots of important influences that have pushed this vibrancy and creativity forward. It's hard trying to temper excitement for the new season with realistic understanding and acceptance of the global and personal challenges we're all facing. U.S. pairs teams have so much to be proud of and to look toward working hard to make happen!

I noticed that Dave Lease voiced eagerness on TSL to see Alexa share a clip of her and Brandon doing a 3-twist. That is one of the elements new pairs partners generally have to build up to together. The fact that both Alexa and Brandon had boffo 3-twists with their former partners surely bodes well for them developing an excellent 3-twist. :cheer2: Plus, they both seem to have a very vibrant athletic approach together. Still, I wouldn't expect them to be sharing that particular element with us straight-away. I wouldn't be surprised to see them showing one off in style when they're ready to do so, although we may have to wait until they perform it in competition.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
On Ice Perspectives’ Jordan Cowan filmed the first part (50 seconds) of Calalang/Johnson’s “Who Wants To Live Forever” FS: https://www.instagram.com/p/CDmGfeXJNCl/?igshid=2o2tdpo6f22r

Cowan also filmed Knierim/Frazier stroking around the ice: https://www.instagram.com/p/CDgvs1oJCfW/?igshid=1spz2hnw9hhm3

Clip of Kayne/O’Shea’s “Clair de Lune” SP from Monday: https://www.instagram.com/p/CDeNRgjJy5U/?igshid=osywgcup3its

Lu/Mitrofanov are scheduled to compete both of their programs at Cup of Colorado next week. Skating Senior SP only:
Labazina/Nyman (team debut)
McIsaac/Sadusky
Deardorff/Johnson
Burden/Rounis (team debut)

Benoit Richaud has shared Instagram story clips of Finster/Nagy’s SP (to "Lost Without You" by Freya Ridings) and Labazina/Nyman’s FS to the Angels & Demons OST.

Lacey

Without any hidden meaning interpreted, Alexa skates big, very big and strong. And she matches Brandon which is a good, NO GREAT, thing. I love powerful pairs, THEY SKATE LIKE A PAIR, and I think that is what we have here.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

I am clear that this is my opinion.

I think there is going to end up with something bad. She is doing what she loves, and something that he had to leave. I can imagine that it took a strain off....and undoubtedly that needed to happen.

The place I have a problem is how is it going to affect the marrieds, when she is out there with another person living their dream?

We shall see.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.

I think there is going to end up with something bad. She is doing what she loves, and something that he had to leave. I can imagine that it took a strain off....and undoubtedly that needed to happen.

The place I have a problem is how is it going to affect the marrieds, when she is out there with another person living their dream?

We shall see.

Your relentless optimism is exhausting.

Lacey

We shall see.

And aren't they all very mature for figuring out how to be happy with new directions for all of their dreams, combining old ideas with new instead of remaining stagnant trying to live down to others' expectations instead of their own?

Do we think we can judge the skating. Oh, and let's hope others don't prejudge it. And I can't wait to see Chris' cars.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝

We shall see.

I hear you.

But the three of them were friends before all this. Chris and Brandon having gone on fishing trips (Not like Brokeback, tee-hee) in the past. And Chris CLEARLY wanting to leave the competitive aspect of figure skating. He will still be there just a bit happier I think.

:)

aftershocks

Banned Member
LOL. Before commenting, some posters should actually read the articles first. Oh, but apparently such posters aren't really fans of the skaters they are commenting on.

Claire noted in the recent C/J interview article, "Chris Knierim coaches a lot of the younger teams," as well as working with female skaters who are looking for partners, some of whom are new to pairs e.g., Megan Wessenberg. Therefore, Chris is still very much a part of the training camp. As Jessica said, "Chris is very happy now." And Brian added teasingly, "Yeah, he's living the high life."

Chris, Alexa, and Brandon all seem very happy and committed to making this new partnership work. That's attested to by many of Alexa's Instagram posts. Prior to rinks re-opening, Brandon moved from Florida to California to begin off-ice training and preparation with Alexa. He moved in with the Knierims temporarily once he arrived. Plus, it's well documented in previous articles that Brandon has been friends with both Chris and Alexa for years. His friendship with Chris goes back many years when they were young skaters training in Colorado.

In the previous thread, we've seen fun clips over the past several months of some of the U.S. pairs teams' off-ice workouts. Alexa & Brandon have looked very good together from the beginning of their workouts. At the moment, they appear to have a very strong athletic vibe with dance-like elements, per the ice dance influence which is so popular in pairs currently. It will be interesting to see how their style develops.

BTW, it should go without saying that many pairs and ice dance couples are not romantically involved, nor is that a prerequisite to partnership success. Sometimes partners are good friends prior to partnering, or they develop a strong friendship that remains very professional as they pursue mutual goals. In the C/J article by Claire, Jessica mentions how professional she and Brian are about their partnership. They work hard together at the rink, but go their separate ways in their private lives. They are also good friends who have known each other for years training with the same coaches. I sense a strong connection between Jessica & Brian, but it seems to be a brotherly-sisterly vibe, which doesn't negate them performing traditional romantic themes, if they choose. They are a team who have already shown expansive range in their program selections and performances.

It is notable and commendable that all the top U.S. pairs teams are friendly and have known each other for years. In the process, they all seem to have developed great camaraderie and respect for one another.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information