U.S. Pairs 2019-20 season - News & Updates, Part X

blue_idealist

I am sure that Danny O'Shea is also dreaming about the Olympics! I know I am gonna get crap for even suggesting to break up a partnership! :)

He's probably more likely to get there with Tarah than with a new partner, even if it's Alexa, especially with the Knierims no longer taking up a spot. Now their competition would only really be CG/L and C/J.

Carolla5501

Wonder when the merry go round begins. If she grabs a partner from an existing team this could ripple through our teams.

Frasier is an interesting option. While it will be tough to get to the Olympics with Alexa it might be tougher with his current partner

Last edited:

chachacha

Wonder when the merry go round begins. If she grabs a partner from an existing team this could ripple through our teams.

Frasier is an interesting option. While it will be tough to get to the Olympics with Alexa it might be tougher with his current partner
I would hate to see Denney and Frazier Split, but Denney has the same jumping issues as Chris since her injury and Frazier may be a good match for Alexa. Should be interesting how this may create some shuffle in US Pairs.

sk8nlizard

This was my thought. I actually like all of the teams we currently have now just fine but I think Alexa and Brandon could actually be fairly strong, and he’s already an established pairs skater...the next few months will definitely be interesting!

twinsmom

At Nationals, I told my friend Alexa and Brandon should team up. While I think O’Shea is a stronger skater, Frazier is bigger and would do some things that Alexa is used to (big twist, lifts, throws, etc). I hate to say that bc it would break up a US team, but when watching the event it’s what I thought would be best for US pairs.
Also, I’m sure this news is making for interesting convos and thoughts with all US teams. Alexa is quite the catch as far as US pair girls are concerned!
When Denney/Frazier ended their long program at Nationals, Haven leaned down and touched the ice. I wondered to my friends if she was done, and we were thinking who Brandon could partner with but of course never thought about Alexa. Brandon is a really strong skater and could do well with Alexa. Of course it's all my own thought about Haven...

Also Danny O'Shea is a fab partner, but somehow I don't see him splitting with Tarah.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Wow. I had been expecting the Knierems to withdraw from the Worlds Team but I wasn't expecting him to retire while she tried to find a new partner. It will definitely be interesting over the next few months to see how it shakes out with other IS pairs teams.

Oh, and by the way, I think all the naysayers who told many of us in this thread that we were dead wrong in our interpretation of Chris' "completely over it" body language this fall and at Nats and 4CCs owe us at least an admission that we were right after all.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Wow. I had been expecting the Knierems to withdraw from the Worlds Team but I wasn't expecting him to retire while she tried to find a new partner. It will definitely be interesting over the next few months to see how it shakes out with other IS pairs teams.

Oh, and by the way, I think all the naysayers who told many of us in this thread that we were dead wrong in our interpretation of Chris' "completely over it" body language this fall and at Nats and 4CCs owe us at least an admission that we were right after all.

And why, pray tell, is it so very important for (the collective) you to be acknowledged as "right" following this very sad announcement?

aftershocks

Banned Member
This may cause a reshuffling of who is skating with who in US pairs, yes. We'll have to see.

OMG, one thought: Mervin Tran. Although he's not a US citizen yet, and I'd hate to break up a partnership... but Mervin Tran. Unless Alexa is too tall for him. I think she's 5'2"? Mervin is about 5'9".

Mervin is not going to desert his partner, Olivia Serafini. To me they seem very close, and may even be in a relationship.

ETA:
He's probably more likely to get there with Tarah than with a new partner, even if it's Alexa, especially with the Knierims no longer taking up a spot. Now their competition would only really be CG/L and C/J.

Unless Denney/Frazier have also retired, I wouldn't count them out competitively. (I now see that others have already pointed this out).

Last edited:

Lacey

It's not a game where someone (especially fans who are not skaters) wins.

It's two lives. And perhaps many others. Skaters all. Skaters with lifelong careers.

It's happy, sad, tragic and yet somehow peaceful.

Please let it be what will be.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I understand that Nate Bartholomay is interested in returning to pairs. He had knee surgery, which is why he'd had to step away for a bit, but plans to return once he's healed up. He's 5'10", so they'd need to see if her (relative, for a pairs skater - she's 5'2") height is an issue.

It's about more than height issues though. It's also about factors that include other physical aspects, personalities, possible technical training differences or similarities, location logistics, and obviously whether or not a tryout clicks.

Erin

Banned Member
Ideally, the man already has US citizenship or already has the US citizenship process well in progress (Tran, for example, perhaps does, as he's been in the US for at least a couple of years now, with an apartment here and etc.)

Tran got his green card in the last half of 2017 (I found an article from June 2017 where he said he was in the last stages). It takes 5 years after the green card to get citizenship, so he would not get it in the time for the 2022 Olympics without some kind of exception, which does not seem like it would happen these days.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
And why, pray tell, is it so very important for (the collective) you to be acknowledged as "right" following this very sad announcement?

It's two lives. And perhaps many others. Skaters all. Skaters with lifelong careers.

Seriously? Is it really too much to expect people to own when they were vastly mistaken?

There isn't any gloating or "winning" in my original comment, just simply pointing out that a lot of people who picked up on something being very wrong with Chris' emotional health were, indeed, not mistaken in what they saw and yet they were pretty soundly shut down by the Knierem supporters in this thread. A little bit of mea culpa on top of that humble pie would be nice from them right now.

Carolla5501

Seriously? Is it really too much to expect people to own when they were vastly mistaken?

There isn't any gloating or "winning" in my original comment, just simply pointing out that a lot of people who picked up on something being very wrong with Chris' emotional health were, indeed, not mistaken in what they saw and yet they were pretty soundly shut down by the Knierem supporters in this thread. A little bit of mea culpa on top of that humble pie would be nice from them right now.

you want humble pie as you bragged about how right you are?

Maybe you don’t realize how you’re coming across but boy it’s coming across as “I WAS RIGHT”. There’s certainly nothing in your post that implies you have any sense of sympathy for Chris just “I was right”

Maybe you should try some of that humble pie.

aftershocks

Banned Member

^^ Well, you're not getting it from me! Seriously?! As Lacey already said, 'This is not a game,' nor is it oneupmanship for brownie points. This is about athletes' lives and careers. So, you think somehow someone owes you a mea culpa for reading body language and speculating? NOT!

It may have looked to a lot of people like something was wrong, but none of us knew anything about the actual details, until today's announcement.

PairSkater12345

Very Insightful.Well Put. A lot is a stake for pairs changes at this level with people who have invested in a partner. Alexa is very talented, however a different partner could be complicated. (I don't mean relationship wise) She has tendencies and habits that won't necessarily align with Brandon or Danny for example. Different techniques that may be difficult to change by either partner. A new partner at this level is a huge challenge.

skylark

It has to be a very short list of potential partners: O'Shea, LeDuc, Frazier, Tran, Mitrofanov, Bardei, Bilodeau, Nadeau. Not sure if there are any Russians available. The timing is right to put your name out there. She is a fabulous pair skater. I hope she finds her Trankov/Massot.
I wonder why Brian Johnson isn't on your short list? I'm not advocating for that, but I don't see Leduc, O'Shea, Frazier or Tran being apt to split with their partners. Mitrofanov either, really. Also, Canadians are out of the running. None of them is going to be able to get US citizenship by 2022, which is Alexa's goal. Although it might be interesting to speculate whether she'd be willing to compete for Canada, if given a chance.

Chris said in the article that he wants to be part of Alexa's coaching team going forward. I think that could be a real advantage, because he could help a lot with any needed adjustments in technique. He's also already helping Todd and Jenni with younger pairs. So it sounds like they'll need to stay in California.

I'm wondering if Ian Meyh is interested in skating pairs, after his break-up with Chelsea Liu. He'd have quite the leap to catch up to Alexa's level, though, and he's only 20.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved

Do start holding your breath and we'll see what happens.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝

Frazier is on record saying he started ice skating with Haven and will end ice skating with Haven.

If Haven had to retire tomorrow then so would he.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I vote for Enbert if he’s the Russian with US citizenship (and no partner.). Alexa just needs a strong and technically skilled partner, she’ll provide the flash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information