U.S. Pairs 2019-20 season - News & Updates, Part X

natsulian

It’s been awhile since we’ve seen US Pairs have this much “depth” and I am beyond elated to see exciting and fresh faces. 2018-2019 was a great year for US Pairs as they brought home 4 Grand Prix medals (3 Senior and 1 Junior), 9 CS medals, and earned back 2 spots for the US at Worlds. Cannot wait to see how the trajectory continues heading into 2022 Beijing.

hoptoad

Some serious power and coordination here. Danny Oshea Instagram

That is seriously impressive!! :eek:

Is Danny doing a Turkish get-up here, or is there another name for this move? I wonder how long it took them to learn this move.

Tarah's strength in this is impressive too. I'd kind of like to see how other pairs would manage it. It seems like the kind of thing that Luba would quickly master, but Kirsten M-T would struggle with.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Some serious power and coordination here. Danny Oshea Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0hJuFlnlmj/

Wow, but I wonder if this is just a strength building power lifting move, or a maneuver they are actually planning to include in one of their programs? :eek: It looks like a variation of James/Cipres' ending knee-bend move involving Morgan holding Vanessa overhead with one hand while bending on one knee to the ice. Or else, a cross between that and the old-time ice dance flair of dramatically falling to the ice, popularized by Christopher Dean and Jayne Torvill.

Good also to see Chan/Howe do a much better short than Texas Cannon (53 vs 41 points). She's just so watchable. I'm really glad she's stayed in skating.

Many people are enamored of Emily's aesthetic gifts and her stretch. :) I think Spencer is equally gifted in his movement qualities and so they match very well, even better perhaps than they each did with their former partners.

ETA:
@ANL, I finally checked out Ashley's make-up look for her sp. It's pretty cool, and probably inspired by C/L's visit to spend the day with Cirque on Ice performers post Worlds.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0ZGhsQF_Qt/ Ash's short program makeup
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0hguC9lkww/ group photo of Skate Detroit U.S. senior pairs

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
If anyone wants to see NASA launch its new rocket into space....

3 successful launches

Just sayin

P.S. I messaged her a few weeks ago and she thinks their first comp will be the US Classic in SLC! Yay!
Those were doubles right?

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Throw triple loops.

Maria Mokhova and Ivan Mokhov have a joint Instagram account and here is a practice clip shared yesterday of the beginning of their upbeat jazzy SP (3twist, sbs 2A, throw 3S - they missed the latter 2 elements in their Skate Detroit SP): https://www.instagram.com/p/B0hWdFFnuB7/
M/M skated cleanly and with good unison in their Detroit FS to a famous Spanish ballet (can anyone ID the music from this practice clip?): https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzi_lldnQ1Q/
(CC: @Princessroja :))

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Maria Mokhova and Ivan Mokhov have a joint Instagram account and here is a practice clip shared yesterday of the beginning of their upbeat jazzy SP (3twist, sbs 2A, throw 3S - they missed the latter 2 elements in their Skate Detroit SP): https://www.instagram.com/p/B0hWdFFnuB7/

Im liking them too. Are they a brother / sister team? Do you think we will see them on JGP circuit? How long together?

SidelineSkater

^^^ Throw triple loops.

M/M skated cleanly and with good unison in their Detroit FS to a famous Spanish ballet (can anyone ID the music from this practice clip?): https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzi_lldnQ1Q/

Don Quixote? Act 1: Their Friends (according to Shazam)

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^^ Throw triple loops.

Anyone who couldn't see those were triples must need an eyesight check-up. :p The clips were filmed from a long view, but still! Is it that Alexa executed the rotations so fast, it didn't seem she went around 3 times? :lol:

I can understand not being able to distinguish some triples from quads (in certain instances), exactly because of the necessary quick rotations that can be hard for the eye to see. But the difference between triples and doubles is usually more distinguishable, with a few exceptions, sometimes impacted by camera angles and visual quality. It really must be a blast watching Nathan Chen from the front row, up-close and personal. :watch:

And with that thought, does this mean quad throws are in the Knierims' future? Hmmm... :COP:

Last edited:

Princessroja

^^^ Throw triple loops.

Thanks a ton! I don't have instagram so miss a lot of those sorts of clips. Much appreciated! They do look good. Slow and hesitant still; they remind me of a couple on their first JGP season, which is where they would be if he weren't just old enough to miss the cutoff. :wuzrobbedI can't believe their persistence; it's gotta be hugely demoralizing to be good enough to keep podiuming at each nationals and then see all your peers go off to international comps and have to stay home for years.

Amy L

Thanks a ton! I don't have instagram so miss a lot of those sorts of clips. Much appreciated! They do look good. Slow and hesitant still; they remind me of a couple on their first JGP season, which is where they would be if he weren't just old enough to miss the cutoff. :wuzrobbedI can't believe their persistence; it's gotta be hugely demoralizing to be good enough to keep podiuming at each nationals and then see all your peers go off to international comps and have to stay home for years.

Yes, and most of those kinds of pairs don't last. It's very difficult to wait for several years when one is too young and the other is too old. However, since they are siblings I suppose they either have more motivation or more family expectations to continue together.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member

With their huge age difference (12 and 20), I'm wondering whether any other siblings exist in between the huge gap in their birth years?

Well, this sp music is certainly upbeat, which is a departure from the more reflective instrumental and classical music some of the other pairs at Skate Detroit selected for their sps. However, I enjoyed all of the music selections. C/J had a more upbeat Latin-flavored sp choice last season, so it's always good to explore a variety of genres.

ETA:
Oh well, judging by this 2017 hometown article about Masha and Ivan, they don't have other siblings. Perhaps the parents had Ivan, and then possibly were touring in ice shows for many years before having a second child. Ivan used to compete in singles, but switched to pairs apparently when Masha was old enough to pair with him:
Since Ivan cannot compete in juniors, when will Masha be old enough to compete in seniors? The 2022 - 2023 season?

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
The results of 1972 Worlds are in the May 1972 issue of "Skating" magazine. There were 3 American teams - Starbuck and Shelley, the Militano's and Brown and Berndt. As I suspected, the error is on Wikipedia. The result list there currently states that Linda Connolly and Colin Taylforth represented the United States. They represented Great Britain.

If you're using Wikipedia as a source for historical skating results, please keep in mind there are a lot of errors there and anyone can edit the pages anonymously. It's a great starting place for information but it is not 100% correct in many cases.

Thanks Ryan! Bringing this information here from the 'history of U.S. pairs' thread in Trash Can, since I can't edit my original post in this thread to correct the Wiki error for 1972 U.S. pairs entries at Worlds.

Spiralgraph

Anyone who couldn't see those were triples must need an eyesight check-up. :p The clips were filmed from a long view, but still! Is it that Alexa executed the rotations so fast, it didn't seem she went around 3 times? :lol:....

And with that thought, does this mean quad throws are in the Knierims' future? Hmmm... :COP:

With all the health problems the Knierims have gone through the last few seasons, it's my opinion they should focus on gaining consistency on sbs triple jumps and their quad twist. Those quad throws are a nice idea but not worth the risk to any team. The chance of injury on a fall is always present.

Sylvia

TBD
Don Quixote? Act 1: Their Friends (according to Shazam)
Thanks! I forgot that the Mokhovs' Junior FS last season was to Don Quixote and at Skate Detroit they wore these FS costumes from 2019 Nationals: https://www.instagram.com/p/BtKGdU4Bqy5/
... they remind me of a couple on their first JGP season, which is where they would be if he weren't just old enough to miss the cutoff. :wuzrobbed
She just misses the minimum ISU junior age cutoff this season by being born after July 1 (ETA: they could have competed this one season as juniors internationally had her 13th birthday been on June 30 rather than in August).
Since Ivan cannot compete in juniors, when will Masha be old enough to compete in seniors? [internationally] The 2022 - 2023 season?
Yes.

ETA that I forgot to post the U.S. pairs assigned to the Lake Placid JGP:

Kate FINSTER / Balazs NAGY
Isabelle MARTINS / Ryan BEDARD (will be their Team USA & JGP debut)

They are the only two junior pairs in the ISP who have competed so far this summer. Only 3 other junior pairs are currently listed in the ISP: Knoop/Eisenach, Fleming/Isbell and Smirnova/Siianytsia (latter 2 teams WD from Skate Detroit).

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
With all the health problems the Knierims have gone through the last few seasons, it's my opinion they should focus on gaining consistency on sbs triple jumps and their quad twist. Those quad throws are a nice idea but not worth the risk to any team. The chance of injury on a fall is always present.

ITA, but that was just speculation on my part re the possibility of quads in the Knierims' future at some point (not necessarily this season). I agree that they need to focus at the moment on consistency and getting back to the basic fundamentals of the skills they already possess. Also, with the point value for quads not being significantly higher, it's a risk not worth taking. The Knierims and their coaches are likely more focused on aceing their throw triples, and looking for huge GOE.

The Instagram clips were of boffo triple loops with Alexa seeming to launch like a rocket with great height and distance, along with fast rotations and precise vertical position in the air. :encore:

Has the throw triple loop been in their arsenal previously, or is it a new jump for them?

ETA:
... [the Mokhovs] could have competed this one season as juniors internationally had her 13th birthday been on June 30 rather than in August

Oh wow. What rotten luck, or rather rotten circumstances surrounding the birthday cut-off rules.

Three years is a long time to wait. I imagine they will be continuing to compete in juniors at U.S. Nationals until then? And also hopefully performing in club competitions and exhibitions. While they are waiting around, they need to be keeping their skills sharp, as well as incorporating new skills into their repertoire.

Last edited:

barbarafan

ITA, but that was just speculation on my part re the possibility of quads in the Knierims' future at some point (not necessarily this season). I agree that they need to focus at the moment on consistency and getting back to the basic fundamentals of the skills they already possess. Also, with the point value for quads not being significantly higher, it's a risk not worth taking. The Knierims and their coaches are likely more focused on aceing their throw triples, and looking for huge GOE.

The Instagram clips were of boffo triple loops with Alexa seeming to launch like a rocket with great height and distance, along with fast rotations and precise vertical position in the air. :encore:

Has the throw triple loop been in their arsenal previously, or is it a new jump for them?

ETA:

Oh wow. What rotten luck, or rather rotten circumstances surrounding the birthday cut-off rules.

Three years is a long time to wait. I imagine they will be continuing to compete in juniors at U.S. Nationals until then? And also hopefully performing in club competitions and exhibitions. While they are waiting around, they need to be keeping their skills sharp, as well as incorporating new skills into their repertoire.
rules are rules but.... Brian Orser seemed to do well keeping Stephen Gogolev motivated. He had taught him all the quads by the time he was 11 but he would send him to advanced novice international competitions and he skated senior domestically as a 13 and 14 yr old. He also was invited to high performance camp and he visited Mtl to work a bit with Sam Chouinard. He was only old enough last yr to do JGP.

pearskater

Pair team of Fakhroutdinov/Singletary are growing nice and steady. They competed in novice last year, one of the only teams to do SBS 2A. If they can get the lifts and a triple twist they might be senior-level ready soon. Wonder what level they will be competing this season. Both are fairly new to pairs.

Throw 3S-
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bue8Mi6lVd1/?igshid=19n6jbt1lf9no

SBS 3S-
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0O2hvRBS3l/?igshid=14k0e193tm4uv

3F-
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0zV3iZh1zC/?igshid=fv65c6xdfpr5

Press lift and an interesting death spiral variation-
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxte2JLgmRl/?igshid=1bf44alir0870

gkelly

Interesting variation for the death spiral. I wonder if it would be allowed via current rules in senior competitive comps though since uninterrupted turns by the lady may be required.

And the man is required to be in a pivot position. This wouldn't be considered a death spiral at all.

I do love seeing innovation in pairs moves though.

Yup, always fun. Some could be considered choreographic moves in competition; others would be just for shows.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Some could be considered choreographic moves in competition; others would be just for shows.

Right. Still, the ISU has recently allowed the incorporation of spectacular pairs moves we usually see in exhibition, into senior pairs programs. I think this new ruling is in part due to some of the exciting moves we've recently seen from James/Cipres. Case in point: their 2016-2017 pairs sp, Earned It, which took the pairs world by storm. Their opening theme has been emulated in a variety of ways, too many times to count. As well, the eye-opening transitional move Jeremy Barrett suggested (which he previously performed with Caydee Denney) in which Vanessa leaps sideways into the air trusting Momo to catch her. :love: J/C have also innovated new lift positions, and they have (in their 2017 fp) utilized a variation entry into a death spiral.

The headbanger move, a staple of exhibitions, has been used in major competition for pairs lift dismounts for quite some time. I don't recall the exact wording of the ISU ruling from last year, but it gave examples of some exhibition moves that would be allowed.

And the man is required to be in a pivot position. This wouldn't be considered a death spiral at all.

Reminds me of a two-handed twirling variation entry into a death spiral performed by the very expressive and creative team, Timlen/Highgate-Brutman, at U.S. Nats in January. :D

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Joshua Santillan wrote a blog post dated July 25 that explained why he and Jessica Pfund were unable to compete at Skate Detroit last month: http://www.joshica.net/blog/uncategorized/2020midseasonupdate/
We returned home from Pair Camp in Mid-June and got back to work so that we could be ready and trained for Skate Detroit. Things were going very well and we were just about ready for our “tune-up” competition in Tampa: Orange Blossom Open. On June 28th we had our final competition simulation before this event and we were in the middle of a clean program when Jessica fell on the last element and dislocated her left knee. ...
An MRI confirmed that Jessica fully dislocated her knee and had a small tear of her MPFL along with an MCL injury. Although it was a downer to experience another injury, two things proved that luck is not completely against us. When Jessica fell and dislocated her knee, she was lucky enough that it popped back into place on its own when she stood up on it.
Jessica shared 4 video clips of herself landing 3S, 3T, throw 3Lo & 3S on Friday ("First day back doing triple jumps with a healthy knee!"): https://www.instagram.com/p/B08g25QnB1d/

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ OMG, all the injuries and setbacks Joshica have been facing recently. :( ''

Kudos to them both for persevering and for trying to turn lemons into lemonade whilst keeping a positive attitude. It's good of them to share news of their partnership journey. I truly hope that everything they have been battling against and learning from will result in a turning of the tide wherein they can begin to experience some bright upsides and fulfilling rewards for all their hard work! :saint:

pairskatingfan

My God the injuries these two sustain on a regular basis is unreal. Looks like she is coming back strongly though... The jumps and throws look good. I think that is a quick recovery for that kind of injury, isn't it?

Also of note, Jessica and Josh posted a picture recently in support of survivors: https://www.instagram.com/p/B0zFdwvHJE3/

Considering recent allegations it seems that they are trying to subtly voice their support of Ashley and others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information