U.S. Pairs 2018-19 season - News & Updates, Part IX

aftershocks

Banned Member
Most right handed skaters skate to the left. That's basically how you are taught. It's opposite of ballet. As someone right handed I think it's because by skating left you land on your right foot, which is more natural to right handers. Most left handed skaters I knew did jump to the right to land on their left foot. It's what ever comes easier for you. I would imagine if you had an extensive ballet background before starting skating you may choose to jump to the right though.

Yes, to the right is clockwise and to the left is counterclockwise, no confusion there. Handedness is only one factor in determining your preferred direction of rotation. I am right-handed (which more people are), and I spin to the left (counterclockwise - which more people do). From years of teaching beginning skaters, I know that the majority of students will naturally spin to the left (counterclockwise). Interestingly, we have a set of mirror twins in our learn to skate program, and they do spin in opposite directions.

That's so interesting. I took ballet lessons many years ago as a young adult. I don't recall exactly, but I think my tendency is/was to spin and rotate to my right. I see that's how you are saying Cleo that rotating in ballet is generally taught. Perhaps in the class I took we were taught to do it in both directions. I don't remember. But if we were specifically taught to turn right for ballet, that could be why I feel the necessity in my body.

Even now, I feel in my body the need to turn to the right, if I think about spinning. However, if I were to don skates and get out on the ice, I might feel differently about my spinning and rotating directions. Some skaters can perform in both directions with equal ease, e.g., Rohene Ward.

Thanks for the input! :)

ETA:
... So in archery, for instance, many people are learning at their beginning they should be left handers because their left eye is better for targeting.

Again, very interesting. I took some archery classes ages ago in college, but again I don't remember which hand I used. I believe I learned with my right-hand, since I don't have good facility/control with my left hand for most tasks. Once again, some people are ambidextrous. The tendencies may have something to do with our individual right and left brain hemispheres as well.

Last edited:

PairSkater12345

Sometimes we don't appreciate the real talent it takes to be a top level figure skater. While jumps are typically clockwise or counter, Spins and footwork both directions is super difficult to do well and to be in sync with someone else is a new factor of difficulty. Being involved in the sport for so long.....you take the sheer skill for granted.

Lacey

I am right handed. But I take off on my axel on the right foot going clockwise, which is "wrong." My natural way to three turn is on the right foot.

My youngest DD is right handed and did one (jumps?) clockwise and one (spins?) counterclockwise. But she quit freestyle with the axel when she kept getting ganglion cysts from falling on her wrist. She became a big time ice dancer. I think, by the nature of the judging, one has to show strong both footedness to complete the Gold Dance and Gold MIF tests structures. She was also a tremendous field sport athlete: in soccer and lacrosse, she always knew precisely where to send the ball down the field to get there at the same time as the runner--she had great field vision. She is an architect by profession, sees all sides at once.

I have seven grandchildren.

One family is four boys, the first two were so close that, when their mother was busy with the younger two, they taught all sports to each other and played for hours on end.

They seemed to have picked up some kind of mirrored system from watching the other--say, if one had a Lacrosse stick in his right hand, the other--facing him--would put his stick in his left hand to "match" him.

One is right handed and plays some sports as a righty and some as a lefty, and the other is somewhat opposite, but not necessarily so. I think two of four are left handed.

Finally, one wears a baseball glove on the right hand, throwing with the left, and the same kid bats right handed.

Sylvia

TBD
BTW, aren't we getting into new season territory now and new season thread time?
I was planning to start a new season thread around the time of next week's Pairs camp (eta: camp started yesterday) or maybe after the Grand Prix initial selections are published later this month?

Ian Meyh (S11 with Chelsea Liu) is newly listed on IPS: http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=6580

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Any news updates from Pairs camp in Colorado?
Misha Ge has been providing some clips via his IG:
Dance class: https://www.instagram.com/p/ByjjjOggmXZ/
Skating skills: https://www.instagram.com/p/BymHx4EppEB/

I believe all 10 of the senior pairs listed in the ISP are supposed to be attending the camp? Cain/LeDuc, Calalang/Johnson, Denney/Frazier, Digerness/Neudecker, Feng/Nyman, Kayne/O’Shea, Knierim/Knierim, Lockley/Prochnow, Lu/Mitrofanov, Timlen/Highgate-Brutman; plus Pfund/Santillan and the new team of Emily Chan/Spencer Howe.

Nina Mozer is back with her team as well (ETA) including Fedor Klimov: https://www.instagram.com/p/Byl90kSoRP9/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Alexa Knierim shared this photo from breakfast earlier today (4 senior pairs): https://www.instagram.com/p/BynofRHgjGB/

ETA:

Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier talked about some of their off-season activities in this article: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...-and-creative-choreography-in-off-season.aspx
Relevant excerpts:
"As soon as the 2018-19 season ended after Four Continents, Brandon and I got back into the rink right away," says Denney. "We started working on new things like lifts and required elements for [the] short program such as [a] back-inside death spiral. For us, it's smart to work on these new things while we are in shape, so no one gets injured."
The off-season is a time to take risks, push boundaries and workshop new moves such as jump rotations, lifts, transitions, entries, and exits both on and off the ice. "Our off-season process is...a process! We are working on progress at this time. There is a lot of new information being instilled in our bodies, from new choreography to new techniques on jumps to different lifts," explains Frazier. "Our capacity is evolving and so we need this time to get it in our bones. And with a lot of practice, by the time we compete, we will feel confident to perform all these tricks!"

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ So sweet to see this fine group of U.S. senior pairs. I hope they are all enjoying the off-season, rejuvenating and getting in some relaxation, as well as training and preparing for the new season. For some reason, this off-season is seeming to drag a bit, but in a way that's a good thing. Down time is needed from all that has been happening in skating and in the rest of the world. The rest of the summer should continue to drag in a nice slow-and-easy way, because when the season starts, everything always seems to speed up too fast.

I wish all U.S. pairs teams well the rest of this off-season and moving forward. What a fine group of veteran and up-and-coming young pairs teams we have! :cheer2: :watch:

I'm wondering whether the above means Ash and Tim appeared with the Cirque cast or will be making an appearance with the cast of Cirque at Comerica? Or, did they simply spend a day with the Cirque cast learning what they do and how they put on these shows? I have to check Youtube for more lengthy clips that might be available of the Cirque skating shows. What little I have seen looks fun and outside-the-box.

Ashley Cain recently returned from her honeymoon, so I wonder if she and Timothy made it to camp yet? I look forward to seeing more updates about the goings-on at U.S. pairs camp. I'd love to see more pics of other teams too, like Pfund/Santillan, Chan/Howe, Serafini/Tran, and Lu/Mitrofanov, etc. (Oh, but since Serafini/Tran aren't mentioned as part of the ISP, I suppose they aren't participating?)

I'm glad Misha shared this dance session. It looks like a session with the junior pairs guys, and then the junior girls joined in as well. At the end of the clip, we see Dalilah S sitting in the background watching. :)

I can't tell for sure, but this also looks like the junior pairs taking part in the skills session. Thanks for posting @Sylvia.

ETA:
How do we avoid thumbnails appearing in links to articles and Instagram?

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Noooo! :drama: They looked so good and so cute together in January at Nationals! What happened. :wuzrobbed

Is Chelsea injured, or she decided to stop competing?

Meanwhile, some latest posts by Deanna Stellato. She appears to be working hard to stay fit. I hope she's able to find a partner soon:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwS15TwFi9s/ nice triple salchows from 3 takeoffs

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwc2_i3lLXy/ triple toes from 3 takeoffs

A true philosophy Deanna is passing on from AdaRipp and his Mom apparently:

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
In other news, I came across this feature shared in U.S. Men thread:

"The pairs team of Haven Denney and Brandon Frazier primarily train under the tutelage of John Zimmerman and Silvia Fontana in Wesley Chapel, Florida, but spent part of April in Colorado Springs, Colorado, to work with Tom Zakrajsek on jumps and plan to coordinate a bi-coastal training schedule with their coaching team as the upcoming season progresses."

It's not new that H&B trained with Tom Z in April, but this is the first I've heard about their intention to work out a 'bi-coastal' training plan. Although it's more like a 'double-rink training plan' or 'bi-regional training plan' since Colorado is nowhere near the coastal U.S. :p

This sounds like a determined supplementary move by H&B to continue to exponentially improve their skills and their chances to be more competitive on both the national and the international stage. The time is now -- no time to dawdle or hesitate. It will surely benefit them to get whatever training advantages they can from the Olympic Training rink and Colorado, while continuing their major training with John Z at the Florida Hospitals/ Advent Health Center rink in Wesley Chapel, FL.

Sylvia

TBD
I'm wondering whether the above means Ash and Tim appeared with the Cirque cast or will be making an appearance with the cast of Cirque at Comerica? Or, did they simply spend a day with the Cirque cast learning what they do and how they put on these shows?
Cain/LeDuc visited Cirque du Soleil back in late April: https://twitter.com/icegirlash/status/1121786534624210944
I assume this promo video for CRYSTAL was the "special project" mentioned in the tweet.
ETA:
How do we avoid thumbnails appearing in links to articles and Instagram?
I posted about it in the Board Business thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/site-upgrade.105688/#post-5596064

aftershocks

Banned Member
The content is in Trash Can:

aftershocks said:
Cross-posting from TSL to Canadian pairs thread. The plot thickens: DELETED

My two cents: maybe this speculation can stay in the Trash Can until there is official/verified news to report? (I re-posted in the Pairs general discussion thread earlier, for example: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/pairs-discussion-thread-2019-20-“two-skating-as-one”.105581/page-2#post-5593706 )

Okay so I deleted the original post in the Canadian thread per your suggestion Sylvia. You are right. I guess go to Trash Can for the by this point old buzz, which btw, I completely missed the last time I was in the TSL thread. :lol: And yep I guess the unconfirmed speculation can be discussed in Pairs skating thread in Trash Can, since there's no official news.

Still, it's the off-season @Sylvia, and I'm starved for something new and real and deep and substantial about figure skating. There's really no intelligent outlet for in-depth skating chatter that isn't snarky or disparate and scant and overly gossipy. I do respect the skaters in this gossipy age of social media/ Internet. At the same time, I think there should be room for above-board conversation. I know that's hard when although a lot is happening, skaters wish for their privacy as things are in the process of happening and no final decisions have been arrived at. Still, where is the intelligent, in-depth skating coverage this sport screams out for? Everything is way too disparate and same-old same-old formats that don't allow for thoughtful conversation and honest, respectful debate.

It should be possible to say a little of what is thought to be happening point blank, and then end with a polite observation that not a lot is known and nothing definitive has been decided, so let's revisit when more is known. The alternative is that this gossip is dribbled and drabbled by a number of people in different threads: e.g. a few people in Canadian thread where I first saw it discussed, and then several people in TSL thread with different takes. And then you briefly summarized in the Pairs thread in TC what had been posted in the Canadian pairs thread. And it all gets kind of confused and confusing.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The content is in Trash Can:

Okay so I deleted the original post in the Canadian thread per your suggestion Sylvia. You are right. I guess go to Trash Can for the by this point old buzz, which btw, I completely missed the last time I was in the TSL thread. :lol: And yep I guess the unconfirmed speculation can be discussed in Pairs skating thread in Trash Can, since there's no official news.

Still, it's the off-season @Sylvia, and I'm starved for something new and real and deep and substantial about figure skating. There's really no intelligent outlet for in-depth skating chatter that isn't snarky or disparate and scant and overly gossipy. I do respect the skaters in this gossipy age of social media/ Internet. At the same time, I think there should be room for above-board conversation. I know that's hard when although a lot is happening, skaters wish for their privacy as things are in the process of happening and no final decisions have been arrived at. Still, where is the intelligent, in-depth skating coverage this sport screams out for? Everything is way too disparate and same-old same-old formats that don't allow for thoughtful conversation and honest, respectful debate.

It should be possible to say a little of what is thought to be happening point blank, and then end with a polite observation that not a lot is known and nothing definitive has been decided, so let's revisit when more is known. The alternative is that this gossip is dribbled and drabbled by a number of people in different threads: e.g. a few people in Canadian thread where I first saw it discussed, and then several people in TSL thread with different takes. And then you briefly summarized in the Pairs thread in TC what had been posted in the Canadian pairs thread. And it all gets kind of confused and confusing.
I have to agree. I hadn't been following the Canadian Pairs discussion recently so when the Stellato spec popped up randomly in the US Pairs thread, I was a little lost and kind of had to track it down in the Trash Can and this thread. I didn't even know until you just mentioned it that it's also been discussed in the TSL thread (mainly because I don't watch their podcasts so I don't have much reason to jump in there and read the discussions).

Sylvia

TBD
2019 U.S. Novice Ladies champion Calista Choi, 14, is skating pairs with Daniel Turchin, 16 (6th in Novice Men at Midwestern Sectionals in Nov. 2018) as revealed in their new joint IG account (they've worked recently with Robin Szolkowy and Kyoko Ina): https://www.instagram.com/calista_and_daniel_/

ETA: Calista is in USFS' ISP for singles and is a possible candidate to make her JGP debut later this year.
Choi & Turchin thank their coaches Jeremy Allen and Amber Gil in today's IG post/clip of them practicing a pair spin ("The simple things are getting better on the couple weeks we’ve had of everyday pairs training along with our singles!"): https://www.instagram.com/p/ByoOMZynFmM/

Sylvia

TBD
... I wonder if she [Ashley] and Timothy made it to camp yet? I look forward to seeing more updates about the goings-on at U.S. pairs camp. I'd love to see more pics of other teams too, like Pfund/Santillan, Chan/Howe, Serafini/Tran, and Lu/Mitrofanov, etc.
2 more dance clips (senior group) shared by Misha Ge: https://www.instagram.com/p/ByofHL6JISt/
I think I counted 11 women in the first clip (front row are Feng, Cain, Kayne; behind them are Lu, Digerness, Pfund) and the guys standing on the sidelines joined in for the 2nd clip.
(Oh, but since Serafini/Tran aren't mentioned as part of the ISP, I suppose they aren't participating?
I was told they are not at this camp but hope to attend one later this summer.

Last edited:

Dobre

Is Chelsea injured, or she decided to stop competing?

Per a poster on the Chinese thread on Golden Skate this morning, Chelsea is going to skate with Zhong Xie for China!

:):):)

I am so happy she is skating as she has a lot of special qualities. And I really liked Gao & Xie when they competed on the junior circuit. Fingers crossed that someone can at least help with Chelsea's throws!

Jammers

Per a poster on the Chinese thread on Golden Skate this morning, Chelsea is going to skate with Zhong Xie for China!

:):):)

I am so happy she is skating as she has a lot of special qualities. And I really liked Gao & Xie when they competed on the junior circuit. Fingers crossed that someone can at least help with Chelsea's throws!
Why is the USFS letting the Chinese Fed poach these skaters away from them?

Last edited:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Skating pairs for China seems an odd choice though. Pairs is where they are most successful.

Sylvia

TBD
2 more dance clips (senior group) shared by Misha Ge: https://www.instagram.com/p/ByofHL6JISt/
I think I counted 11 women in the first clip (front row are Feng, Cain, Kayne; behind them are Lu, Digerness, Pfund) and the guys standing on the sidelines joined in for the 2nd clip.
More from Misha Ge's IG:

Both Seniors and Juniors got so much into choreography we practiced on the floor, that they request me to do “Ice Pop Class Version”. (US Pairs Camp): https://www.instagram.com/p/ByrsrWipnLn/

Skating Art Lesson: Elegancy & Lines (2nd Senior Group): https://www.instagram.com/p/ByrS1AKAQUH/
In order of appearance in the clip: Pfund/Santillan, Timlen/Highgate-Brutman, Lu/Mitrofanov, Feng/Nyman, Digerness/Neudecker, Chan/Howe.

Trying to replicate the famous toe steps sequence from Yagudin's "Winter": https://www.instagram.com/p/BysvexWAnTt/

Group shots #1: https://www.instagram.com/p/Byt8mfIJl_-/
Senior group 1 (five pairs) in bottom right corner; Senior group 2 (six pairs listed above) is bottom left;
Senior/Junior group 3 is top right: Lockley/Prochnow, Ellie McClellan/Matthew Rounis (new), Finster/Nagy, Martins/Bedard;
Junior group 4: Grace Knoop/Blake Eisenach, Isabelle Goldstein/Keyton Bearinger, Cate Fleming/Jedidiah Isbell, Anastasiia Smirnova/Danil Siianytsia, and the 3 new teams of Sydney Flaum/Alex Wellman, Analise Gonzalez/Franz-Peter Jerosch, Sydney Cooke/Timmy Chapman.
Having fun in the group shot #2: https://www.instagram.com/p/Byt91w1J13u/

olympic

Not only that, China has talented teams, but as far we can see as outsiders, not much depth in its pairs roster.

I would say we are in the process of developing top level teams. There seem to be resilience now among SK/K, C/L, K/O and D/F and development amongst C/J and L/M

VGThuy

I would say we are in the process of developing top level teams. There seem to be resilience now among SK/K, C/L, K/O and D/F and development amongst C/J and L/M

I thought Theoreticalgirl was talking about depth in China's pairs program. I do agree with you that the U.S. pairs program is more competitive than I think a lot of people think.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
@olympic I agree but I was talking specifically about the Chinese teams, in reference to the earlier remark about why US skaters might switch other federations.

feraina

Yes, it’s the worst combination for US pairs program. A lot of good but not amazing teams, so either one or two spots at worlds and Olympics. And China has just a few really amazing teams, so almost always three spots at ISU championships; so a good chance for a new team to nab something major relatively quickly. Also, Zhang is bound to retire soon.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Skating pairs for China seems an odd choice though. Pairs is where they are most successful.

This is interesting news. I wonder why Chelsea paired with Ian and then split with him so quickly? Perhaps she was given an offer by Chinese fed that she couldn't refuse. ;) I would imagine that Chinese fed is looking to the future when Sui/Han retire. Perhaps the Yu/Zhang partnership has experienced some roadblocks, and Peng/Jin are not a slam dunk team with a consistent lock for the podium, despite their talent.

Seemingly, despite stellar Chinese pairs rep based on consistent excellence, they may be experiencing a lack of superior talent in the lower level pipeline, eh? I'm just guessing. Chinese fed is surely looking to gain some excellence in singles and ice dance, in addition to shoring up their pairs ranks for the future, in order to be competitive in the team event at future Olympics, even should they fall a bit short by Beijing.

ETA:
Despite the talent Liu/Meyh displayed at Nationals in January, perhaps Chelsea saw a great deal of opportunity in switching to represent China. Surely it was tempting for Chelsea to have the chance to work with great skaters and coaches like Shen/Zhou, as well as the prospect of having dedicated attention paid to helping her become a top skater. The Chinese pairs program is one of proven excellence.

While there is a lot of excitement going on in the U.S. pairs program right now, there are still quite a number of veterans and young up-and-coming teams in the U.S. ranks. The numbers of talented skaters can be a good thing for overall competitive improvement, but it also can mean a long, hard slog with maybe not many opportunities to compete and improve. I would imagine that Chinese fed offered something much more attractive and promising to Chelsea, and she decided to take the risk. There's nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Chelsea and Ian were a couple off ice, so I wonder if something changed there that caused the split on ice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information