Canadian Pairs 2019/2020 Season News and Updates

Sylvia

TBD
Starting a new season thread by copying over @Catherine M's post from the previous thread:

So by my [her] count, Canada is up to 9 senior teams now:

Senior last season:

Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael Marinaro
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud
Camille Ruest / Drew Wolfe
Lori-Ann Matte / Thierry Ferland
Justine Brasseur / Mark Bardei

Moved up from Junior:

Chloe Choinard / Mathieu Ostiguy

New Senior teams (known at this time):

Lubov Ilyushechkina / Charlie Bilodeau
Nadine Wang / Francis Boudreau-Audet
Natasha Purich / Bryce Chudak

JGP pairs last season (still ISU Junior age-eligible this season & attended NextGen camp):

Brooke McIntosh / Brandon Toste
Gabrielle Levesque / Pier-Alexandre Hudon
Chloe Panetta / Benjamin Mimar

New Junior teams (attended NextGen camp):

Patricia Andrew / Zachary Daleman
Camille Perreault / William St. Louis

@RoseRed also posted that the 2019 novice champions Kelly Ann Laurin / Loucas Éthier were at NextGen camp.

Last edited:

Alvyne

Someone reported in the Korean news thread that Maxime Deschamps ended his partnership with Kyueun Kim because he had a tryout with someone else and would rather skate with her. Could it be Julianne?

RoseRed

Someone reported in the Korean news thread that Maxime Deschamps ended his partnership with Kyueun Kim because he had a tryout with someone else and would rather skate with her. Could it be Julianne?
It was reported by TSL that he had a good tryout with Deanna Stellato.

aftershocks

Banned Member
It was reported by TSL that he had a good tryout with Deanna Stellato.

Oh, and would they skate for Canada or the U.S., I wonder?

ETA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTVR3hqd16w Sydney & Maxime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qKzT7KXaRc Deanna & Nate

Maxime Deschamps looks to be a good match for Deanna, just observing his skating with his former partner. Actually, there are some physical similarities between Nate and Maxime, except maybe Maxime is slightly taller (or at least similar in height), with perhaps a tad more elegance (which would definitely suit Deanna. Maxime's body type seems to match Deanna's as well. I guess tho' don't get ahead of a possible announcement. :shuffle:

Last edited:

Alvyne

Thanks for the info, I missed this, I haven't been keep up with TSL.

Interesting though. It is doubtful that either one of them would get citizenship in less than 3 years, so I guess the Olympics is not in the cards.

Rock2

This Stellato thing is all a misunderstanding.

Deanna sought permission to train with Max to keep her pairs skills up while she searches for a partner and Max' partner went home for a month.

You'll notice that TSL took down their video characterizing this as a tryout and reposted it with this section edited out.

I am told though that they look good together. Too bad this is only temporary.

As for Julianne, from the little I have heard she doesn't seem to be ready to pair up based on the combination of where her head and body are at. I always did feel that she would have been the best match for Max but she wasn't ready to return to skating so he had to move on. I hope things change for her and she can someday soon resume her career.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Someone reported in the Korean news thread that Maxime Deschamps ended his partnership with Kyueun Kim because he had a tryout with someone else and would rather skate with her.

If Maxime never said this himself, how does someone make this up purely on the basis of seeing or hearing they were skating together, without any other knowledge to go on? :duh: But I guess rumors have been spread before with even less than nothing to go on.

aftershocks

Banned Member
By 'head,' I wonder if what is meant is Julianne's emotions? Or does she still feel effects from the concussion injuries? I wish Julianne the best in deciding where she wants to go forward with her life, whether in skating or in some other endeavor.

Lubov is busy fixing up her new digs in Montreal: https://www.instagram.com/p/ByL_hG2pGeK/

Painting and fixing up new digs. :) How cool! Lubov looks happy, and she's obviously staying busy this off-season.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Oh well. Now, it's being stated by @Alvyne in the other thread that Max has split with Kim, but that he's pairing with someone other than Deanna. So we're back to where we started.

doritos

Looking at the Championnat québécois d'été registrations, I discovered Thierry Ferland is now Partner with Natasha Purich.

No - there is a line between their names - they are not a team. It just means that they don't have the registration details for Matte and Chudak. This is common with early registrations.

Sylvia

TBD

aftershocks

Banned Member
Cross-posting from TSL thread. The plot thickens:

Oh eh, go to Trash Can for the by this point old buzz, which btw, I completely missed the last time I was in that thread. :lol:

It's the off-season @Sylvia, and I'm starved for something new and real and deep and substantial. There's really no intelligent outlet for in-depth skating chatter that isn't snarky or disparate and scant and overly gossipy. I do respect the skaters in this gossipy age of social media/ Internet. At the same time, I think there should be room for above board conversation. I know that's hard when although a lot is happening, skaters wish for their privacy as things are in the process of happening and no final decisions have been arrived at. Still, where is the intelligent, in-depth skating coverage this sport screams out for. Everything is way too disparate and same-old same-old formats that don't allow for thoughtful conversation.

Last edited:

RoseRed

https://www.instagram.com/p/By0pqWnBj-7/?igshid=1kzv45auwtueh

Kirsten and Mike are seen in the middle of this photo...is this a coaching change that hasn't been announced yet?
Well, they were being coached by Bruno and Richard (+Sylvie) before Bruno left Montreal, so either way they were going to have their team change. It's like when Marina and Igor split - teams have to make a choice between them.

I think that we won't find out exactly who followed Bruno until bios are updated, etc.

barbarafan

Well, they were being coached by Bruno and Richard (+Sylvie) before Bruno left Montreal, so either way they were going to have their team change. It's like when Marina and Igor split - teams have to make a choice between them.

I think that we won't find out exactly who followed Bruno until bios are updated, etc
can anybody identify the other teams in the photo? June 17th was to be the first official day of their pairs program.Kmt has been instagraming from Vancouver up til the last few days so has not been training in Quebec.

DFO

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information