2022–23 Canadian Ice Dance: News and Updates

Sylvia

TBD
Judith Dombrowski interviewed Bashynska/Beaumont after Junior Worlds for Golden Skate (uploaded April 2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn_BxGtQEc4
Two-time and reigning Junior World bronze medalists Nadiia Bashynska and Peter Beaumont of Canada recap their season and how they achieved their goals. "It's beyond anything we would have expected," said Beaumont. "It's pretty surreal!"

The skaters reflect on their partnership and how they teamed up, as well as what they feel their highlights were this season. Bashnyska also reveals her transition from Ukraine to Canada and the challenges she had—both her uncles are currently serving on the front line.

Bashynska and Beaumont also point out about what they appreciate in each other, both on and off the ice, and how communication is so important.

The team trains under Carol and Jon Lane, Juris Razgulajevs and Marc-Andre Servant in Toronto, and the ice dancers talk about their relationship with their coach.

They are very excited about moving up to the senior level for the 2023-24 season, and are looking for "new challenges." They plan on showing a different side in their new programs for next season.

barbarafan

Yes, the Shpilband/Zoueva split killed them both in the long run as a major force. It might have been a different story if Davis/White had gone with Shpilband instead of keeping their friends close and their enemies closer ;)

Dubreuil/Lauzon already were training teams from before they founded IAM and before Papadakis/Cizeron joined IAM in 2014, like Hurtado/Diaz (2011), Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen (2013), and Paradis/Ouellette (2010, no other coaches listed anywhere I can find).

Whatever happened in France to make Haguenauer leave Zazoui and Schoenfelder in Lyon, with Papadakis/Cizeron asking to follow, was what really ended up putting them on the map.
Story put out was Haguenauer brought Papadakis/Cizeron to MTL for choreo from Marie-France. While there he was asked to become a part of their school which was growing. He really liked how things worked there and decided to stay and it was up to Papadakis/Cizeron if they wanted to switch schools or coaches.

skatingguy

decently
Story put out was Haguenauer brought Papadakis/Cizeron to MTL for choreo from Marie-France. While there he was asked to become a part of their school which was growing. He really liked how things worked there and decided to stay and it was up to Papadakis/Cizeron if they wanted to switch schools or coaches.
I thought Muriel Zazoui retired - maybe I'm misremembering that - and that led Romain to look for new opportunities. Haguenauer had a previous relationship with Dubreuil/Lauzon as they trained with Zazoui, and with Haguenauer during their competitive careers.

Sylvia

TBD
Nikolaj Sorensen and Laurence Fournier Beaudry - The pride of having given everything by Nicholas Richard (he met with them 3 days after they returned from Worlds), published on April 4:
“When you leave everything you have on the ice, when you can't do anything better, it's like we've won,” recalls Sorensen.
The next Worlds will take place in Montreal, in 2024. Even though their season is over, the skaters will return to the drawing board in the coming days. On the one hand to choose the music for the next campaign, then to set up the program which will allow them, they hope, to realize their great dream: to become world champions. After the emotions of the past few months, the duo believe they are on the right track.
“Our goal is always to win. Our season proves to us that the work we have done so far is working,” concludes Fournier Beaudry.
Kudos to Laurence on finishing the season so strongly despite her injury (Nik revealed during 4CC that she had a grade 1 medial collateral ligament tear in her right knee on February 3 before their departure for Colorado Springs).

Last edited:

yurokis40

Nikolaj Sorensen and Laurence Fournier Beaudry - The pride of having given everything by Nicholas Richard (he met with them 3 days after they returned from Worlds), published on April 4:

Kudos to Laurence on finishing the season so strongly despite her injury (Nik revealed during 4CC that she had a grade 1 medial collateral ligament tear in her right knee on February 3 before their departure for Colorado Springs).
Still have no idea why they were lowballed like that at worlds , even friends who never watch ice dance watrched it with me and are perplexed why they didn`t win the whole thing, even non experts kept asking why the american team won with a fall I told them ice dance judging is political and biased several of them told me it should not be at the olympics or replaced by synchro they found that very exciting so many people at the same time on the ice.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I love the Danadians - but my complaint about this year's FD remains. It was a retread of what I think was their BEST work previously.
Spanish Caravan - Long Haired Nik.

That said... I take pride that they're in the upper echelon of teams... as they're skating soft repeat versions of successful programs like many top teams tend to do. ;)

I would love to see how FB&S would score if Skate Canada could politik for more than one team at a time. I'd say it'd be easier for them if G&P retired, but then I'd be saying the same thing about La&La scoring below their ability due to the Danadians. :lol:

It's nice to see some legit depth in Canadian ice dance. There always seems to be a big drop-off after the third-ranked team, but I think that's not the case these days, and it's exciting to see. :)

mtnskater

Still have no idea why they were lowballed like that at worlds , even friends who never watch ice dance watrched it with me and are perplexed why they didn`t win the whole thing, even non experts kept asking why the american team won with a fall I told them ice dance judging is political and biased several of them told me it should not be at the olympics or replaced by synchro they found that very exciting so many people at the same time on the ice.
So it’s never political if a Canadian team wins…only a non-Canadian team? :rolleyes::huh: And for the record, I would love to see FB/S win worlds next year in Montreal. I’ll be flying in from the good ole USA to cheer.

yurokis40

I love the Danadians - but my complaint about this year's FD remains. It was a retread of what I think was their BEST work previously.
Spanish Caravan - Long Haired Nik.

That said... I take pride that they're in the upper echelon of teams... as they're skating soft repeat versions of successful programs like many top teams tend to do. ;)

I would love to see how FB&S would score if Skate Canada could politik for more than one team at a time. I'd say it'd be easier for them if G&P retired, but then I'd be saying the same thing about La&La scoring below their ability due to the Danadians. :lol:

It's nice to see some legit depth in Canadian ice dance. There always seems to be a big drop-off after the third-ranked team, but I think that's not the case these days, and it's exciting to see. :)
It wasn`t the same program at all only the last part was really a flamenco the first part was from ennio morricone soundtrack in any case I have reviewed the program several times and they were simply not judged correctly there is an amazing sequence in the middle of the program they are doing transitions and laurence is entirely on one foot, I felt there combo lift was underscored goe wise, the top 2 had clear errors on twizzles a fall, and Marco had trouble with his turns on the step sequences I have criticized the canadanes previously when they made errors, chock and bates did not deserve to win the only thing interesting in their free was the long split coreo sequence, their lifts were actually rather boring this year.

Sylvia

TBD
March 17:
Just wanted to share an interview that I did with Lajoie/Lagha at Four Continents:

They talk about their thoughts on their season, how they chose their programs, their regret at missing Worlds, their take on next year's 80s rhythm dance, and Zak's music fights with Romain :lol:.
Sarah Knight also interviewed Lajoie/Lagha and published this article (March 29):

Here's a 30-minute video of their chat (recorded in February 2023 and uploaded on uploaded on March 31): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMzfdliEsAY

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
And when was the last time they competed for Canada?
S/F's last international was GP Espoo that ended on Nov. 26, 2022: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00101515.htm

ETA: https://isai.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Section-100-General-Rules.pdf

103.2.3 Competitive Partner Member
This category of membership is for any individual who has a critical partnership with a
ISAI member in Ice Dance or Pairs participating on skating programs, competitions, and
events of the ISAI and other ISU member federations. A Competitive Partner Member is
entitled to enter club competitions or higher as per these Rules and Regulations. It
entitles the member to receive notification of meetings of the Association as per the
Constitution but does not allow the member the ability to speak or vote at such meetings.
Such a skater who is vital to a competitive pair and/or dance team will be deemed a
member ONLY as long as they are vital to the competitive pair or dance team. The
criteria to join as a Competitive Partner the individual MUST
-Be part of a competitive Pair or Ice Dance team, where the other skater is
either a Full or Youth member.
-The partner must comply with ISU Rule 109.
-Be released from their national federation at no cost to the ISAI.

To be eligible to compete internationally for Ireland, Shane would have to hold Irish Citizenship and Skate Canada would need to release them "at no cost to the ISAI."

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
GP Finland. 26 Nov 22 was the Free Dance, they wouldn't be able to compete for Ireland until November December, unless the ISU made an exception. (Which they did for Righini back in the day.)

ETA: The Croatia Challenger is the first week in December, at the same time as JGPF/GPF.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Good for them!

But I admit I had a chuckle thinking of @allezfred’s reaction. :lol:
He survived Muramoto/Takahashi. He'll be fine. :)
I'm guessing that @allezfred is delighted at this. ;)
GP Finland. 26 Nov 22 was the Free Dance, they wouldn't be able to compete for Ireland until November December, unless the ISU made an exception. (Which they did for Righini back in the day.)

ETA: The Croatia Challenger is the first week in December, at the same time as JGPF/GPF.
They don't need to earn TES mins for either Euros or Worlds as they already have them - recall Lauriault/Le Gac didn't need to re-earn them after they sat out their year when switching from France to Canada, same for FB/Soerensen.

Sylvia

TBD
Piper Gilles: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cr9CEdvA4NX/

✨A little bit of a personal update ✨

The last 6 months have been a bit of a roller coaster! I’ll be sharing a bit more of my story tomorrow on World Ovarian Cancer day. I’m so incredibly thankful for all the people who supported me throughout all of this. I’ve always tried to be as authentic & real as possible on social media, but this was something I felt I needed to share when the timing was right. Life is full of ups and downs, all we can do is keep pushing forward ❤️❤️
-
-
#worldovariancancerday #ovariancancerawareness #thankful #feelinggrateful #ovariancancer

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information