2022–23 Canadian Men: News and Updates

Seerek

A semi-related Trivia Question to the above...

The top placed man who was born in Canada at 2023 Worlds was....?

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Japanese TV channel, NHK, showed a clip about the trip Keegan did to visit his ancestor in Southern part of Japan a day after the Worlds was over.

In 1877, Manzo Nagano (Keegan's great-great grandfather on maternal side) moved to Canada from Nagasaki, Japan, as one of the first immigrants. He was an aspiring 22 years old. Manzo became a successful businessman by exporting salted salmons. He built a foundation in Canada for Japanese immigrants that followed him.

Keegan visited a museum in Minami-Shimabara, Nagasaki, which has a section dedicated to hometown hero and is filled with the resources about Manzo.
Keegan: "He wanted to accomplish things. Something that I can personally understand. I always wanted to push the boundaries of myself on what I can do"

Keegan visited the temple where Manzo's grave is located. There his distant relatives - descendants of Manzo's older brother, were waiting for him. Natsumi, 15 years old who happens to be a figure skating fan, was very much looking forward to seeing him, saying "It is unbelievable to see him in person. We'd like to talk about Manzo-san, too."

Natsumi took Keegan and his mother to the grave Manzo rests.
Keegan: I am lost at words. it's so special to see where everything started and to come back and to honor him."

On the last day of the visit, Keegan was invited by Natsumi to her school gym. She had something that she really wanted to show him. Locals gathered there for him, to play a traditional music, Sezume-Daiko with an ansamble of Japanese drums, which depicts Hayasaki-Seto, one of the three great currents in Japan. The intensity of the drum sound represents the roughness of the sea. Manzo traveled this treacherous sea and opened up his life in Canada.
Keegan:"Wow...I have no words. Thank you"
Natsumi: "Taiko (Japanese drums) literally drums in your heart, so I am glad that our drum sound touched his heart.

Keegan: "It's been incredible to finally see Manzo's grave, to learn what he did in Canada, too see his life and his legacy ...it's making me reflect myself and to see who I am as a person, too. I think I am going to lead with my heart throughout every endeavor of my life."

This tweet shows just a first few minutes of the clip. I hope that they make the entire clip available for overseas fans to see!
@YukiNieve, your link no longer works but the 4-minute NHK report, narrated in English, was published on May 26:
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/videos/20230526134436416/

screech

I think that for next few years (likely until after the 2026 Olympics) we'll be in a period of struggling to get 2 men to Worlds, kind of how ladies usually is for us. I'm sure we'll have some highs (since you never know what someone like Roman might do on a given day) but I'm not holding my breath.

coppertop1

I think that for next few years (likely until after the 2026 Olympics) we'll be in a period of struggling to get 2 men to Worlds, kind of how ladies usually is for us. I'm sure we'll have some highs (since you never know what someone like Roman might do on a given day) but I'm not holding my breath.
I think so, too. Our men aren't very consistent. Canada is in a bit a dip since so many of our veteran skaters are retiring.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I'm oddly more optimistic about the men's field than ladies. For one, I think there's more potential in skaters like Wesley Chiu, or Conrad Orzel who had bad timing with equipment problems at worlds. But when he lands, he's not bad. Same with Roman, though at this point that's less potential than "possibility of a good day" :lol: Even Gogolev - if he's done coach hopping and growing, and is actually focusing on skating skills, I think he's got what it takes to hit.

But it's going to be ugly for a little white, even if Canada manages to keep a second spot at worlds for a couple seasons. Hopefully there's some great skaters cooking in juniors...

dramagrrl

I'm oddly more optimistic about the men's field than ladies. For one, I think there's more potential in skaters like Wesley Chiu, or Conrad Orzel who had bad timing with equipment problems at worlds. But when he lands, he's not bad. Same with Roman, though at this point that's less potential than "possibility of a good day" :lol: Even Gogolev - if he's done coach hopping and growing, and is actually focusing on skating skills, I think he's got what it takes to hit.
I think we're pretty much in the same boat with the ladies and the men right now. Kaiya has proven to be a consistent competitor so far and has not even competed as a senior internationally yet. Maddie seems to hopefully be on an upswing, though I'm not sure how much potential she has to add much more technically than she has now. Fiona has good raw skills, but we don't know if she will grow into them or inherit her mother's competitive nerves.

With the men, I think Wesley has the most potential overall and is also one of the youngest of our senior men, but again, he has not proven to be a consistent competitor since his breakthrough season. I think Conrad is limited by both weak skating skills and inconsistency, and I would say I have totally given up on Roman... except that I never really bought into the idea of his potential success in the first place. Gogolev has been all over the place with growth and injuries, so who knows what will happen with him?

If I were forced to choose between the competitive success of our current ladies or our current men over the next year or two, I would be hard-pressed to make a decision, but I think I would probably go with the ladies. Our men might have more potential overall, but they have been headcasing in various ways for the last few years and have not inspired confidence, IMO.

Sylvia

TBD
I think we're pretty much in the same boat with the ladies and the men right now. Kaiya has proven to be a consistent competitor so far and has not even competed as a senior internationally yet.
She won silver at CS Austria this past fall: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...n-news-and-updates.109756/page-7#post-6334080

ETA that I meant to repost these 2 videos in this thread earlier:
2022 Canadian Junior Men's champion/2023 Jr. bronze medalist Anthony Paradis, 16, has shared 2 entertaining show program videos, filmed by Vanessa Sauriol - The Matrix (featuring lots of chairography): https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cr6t5u0AoYO/
"I'm Still Standing": https://www.instagram.com/reel/CroO1DeAZ_g/

Habs

A bitch from Canada
With the men, I think Wesley has the most potential overall and is also one of the youngest of our senior men, but again, he has not proven to be a consistent competitor since his breakthrough season. I think Conrad is limited by both weak skating skills and inconsistency, and I would say I have totally given up on Roman... except that I never really bought into the idea of his potential success in the first place. Gogolev has been all over the place with growth and injuries, so who knows what will happen with him?
I mostly agree with this, but I definitely see more potential in Orzel. Worlds aside, he has shown remarkable improvement since moving to Ravi and I think he can continue to improve on things like skating skills and consistency. He may never be a world beater, but I think he has the potential to become a solid competitor.

I would love to see Gogolev get through his current rut but he's really been plagued by growth and injuries. It's hard to know what the toll of that is long term.

Sylvia

TBD

Sylvia

TBD
Brockville Recorder & Times article on the expressive Matthew Markell who skated in the final FS group at Nationals (6th in SP, 11th overall):
Matt Markell posted a life update tonight: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct5MH3MLftZ/
This is not a retirement post I just figured I should update everyone on what I’ve been up to the last couple of months! I’ve recently decided to take a break from competitive skating and pursue my love for performing which lead me to sign a contract with Royal Caribbean to perform in ice shows on Freedom Of the Seas! It’s been a busy few months, learning the show, getting used to living on a cruise ship and performing 6 shows a week, but it’s been an incredible experience so far and I’ve loved every second of it. Being able to travel, do what I love and perform for a packed crowd every night and call this my job is so cool. I’m excited for the future and this whole experience has definitely given me a new outlook on my joy for skating and the love I have for performing. 🫶🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information