Canadian Pairs 2019/2020 Season News and Updates

barbarafan

On the left, Ripley/Brawley (another coach change) and the second from the right are a new couple, Carle (PN1 single women)/Farand (N2 with Jamie Fournier).
On the left, Ripley/Brawley (another coach change) and the second from the right are a new couple, Carle (PN1 single women)/Farand (N2 with Jamie Fournier).
thanks

Sedge

4th skater from the left, looks like Paxton Fletcher, partnered last year with Patricia Andrew.
Not sure if it is or who he is partnering.

DFO

4th skater from the left, looks like Paxton Fletcher, partnered last year with Patricia Andrew.
I heard Fletcher is now with a junior lady who did pairs previously. Hannah Dawson?(WRONG. I made the correcction in a later post...) That would be great. She was 1st in junior last year. But I can't say from the pic. I didn't even recognized Paxton... maybe the beard!

Last edited:

barbarafan

I heard Fletcher is now with a junior lady who did pairs previously. Hannah Dawson?That would be great. She was 1st in junior last year. But I can't say from the pic. I didn't even recognized Paxton... maybe the beard!
That would be great. She looked really good in pairs but she grew. How tall is Paxton?

yfbg722

My sources tell me KMT/MM have relocated to Oakville. Makes sense since it puts them closer to home, her particularly since she's from St. Catherines. Too bad. I was excited about that school. #aintnokmtfan :slinkaway

barbarafan

My sources tell me KMT/MM have relocated to Oakville. Makes sense since it puts them closer to home, her particularly since she's from St. Catherines. Too bad. I was excited about that school. #aintnokmtfan :slinkaway
Well they seem to be the number one pair in the group at this time...There are strong pairs coming up in Gauthiers camp so it might not suit them as much.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!

Kait Hawayek also has a picture of her and KMT on instagram story with text saying she missed her already and to come visit soon. So I think with that info added makes it seem certain.

barbarafan

Hope I'm right...
;)
Who was coaching Ripley/Brawley?

Colonel Green

Well they seem to be the number one pair in the group at this time...There are strong pairs coming up in Gauthiers camp so it might not suit them as much.
They've been in a competitive rink (indeed, a rink where they were decidedly second) for most of their time with Gauthier.

In any event, it's definitely good for Duhamel/Marcotte to have a flagship team for their new camp.

yfbg722

can anybody identify the other teams in the photo? June 17th was to be the first official day of their pairs program.Kmt has been instagraming from Vancouver up til the last few days so has not been training in Quebec.
The fellow on the left of Meagan is Brian Shales who most recently competed with Brooke Paulin. I loved that team. He must be coaching there now.

barbarafan

They've been in a competitive rink (indeed, a rink where they were decidedly second) for most of their time with Gauthier.

In any event, it's definitely good for Duhamel/Marcotte to have a flagship team for their new camp.
half their time at Gauthier. The younger teams at Gauthier's are progressing.

aftershocks

Banned Member
https://www.instagram.com/p/By0pqWnBj-7/?igshid=1kzv45auwtueh

Kirsten and Mike are seen in the middle of this photo...is this a coaching change that hasn't been announced yet?

I don't think Kirsten & Michael opting to move to Oakville with Bruno and Meagan is too surprising. We've been waiting to find out which Gauthier/Marcotte teams might be moving to Oakville in any case. And it's already been discussed as a possibility that K&M might make the move for a few reasons (closer to home for Kirsten; and perhaps K&M wishing to be in a position of receiving dedicated attention as the top team, especially with Luba & Charlie coming aboard in Montreal and being a major focus for Gauthier). In the L&C promo documentary, Gauthier sings Luba's bendability praises, and he is obviously over-the-moon regarding their potential.

Added to that, as someone already mentioned, it's not really a switch since K&M were being trained by both Bruno Marcotte and Richard Gauthier. It's more like a necessary split decision they had to make, i.e., stay in Montreal with Gauthier, or move to Oakville with Bruno & Meagan. I always thought it likely K&M would move to Oakville, especially after L&C paired and Gauthier became their coach. Now, probably Meagan will take on some of the aspects of training in Oakville, that Gauthier previously provided in tandem with Bruno.

Agreed. What I'd like to know is whether Julie Marcotte will stay in Montreal, while still continuing to choreograph for K&M as well as for some of Gauthier's teams, as an independent contractor.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Can someone provide a more precise rundown on the identity of all the skaters in the photo, aside from Bruno, Meagan, Kirsten, Michael, and Brian Shales?

barbarafan

I don't think Kirsten & Michael opting to move to Oakville with Bruno and Meagan is too surprising. We've been waiting to find out which Gauthier/Marcotte teams might be moving to Oakville in any case. And it's already been discussed as a possibility that K&M might make the move for a few reasons (closer to home for Kirsten; and perhaps K&M wishing to be in a position of receiving dedicated attention as the top team, especially with Luba & Charlie coming aboard in Montreal and being a major focus for Gauthier). In the L&C promo documentary, Gauthier sings Luba's bendability praises, and he is obviously over-the-moon regarding their potential.

Added to that, as someone already mentioned, it's not really a switch since K&M were being trained by both Bruno Marcotte and Richard Gauthier. It's more like a necessary split decision they had to make, i.e., stay in Montreal with Gauthier, or move to Oakville with Bruno & Meagan. I always thought it likely K&M would move to Oakville, especially after L&C paired and Gauthier became their coach. Now, probably Meagan will take on some of the aspects of training in Oakville, that Gauthier previously provided in tandem with Bruno.

Agreed. What I'd like to know is whether Julie Marcotte will stay in Montreal, while still continuing to choreograph for K&M as well as for some of Gauthier's teams, as an independent contractor.
Julie has kids and a husband as far as I know as well as the rest of her family so I doubt (but have no factual knowledge of this)she would uproot. I believe she has already done K&M's programs for this yr. but she could of course here and there go up for a few days to do a few programs and tweak others.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Julie has kids and a husband as far as I know as well as the rest of her family so I doubt (but have no factual knowledge of this)she would uproot. I believe she has already done K&M's programs for this yr. but she could of course here and there go up for a few days to do a few programs and tweak others.

Right. Or they could go to her. Thanks for responding. I had a feeling Julie was not part of the move to Oakville, but it hadn't been confirmed. Definitive skating news is rather subdued this off-season, as rumors and wondering abound.

Can anyone identify all of the younger skaters in the group pic posted by Meagan?

Sylvia

TBD
Same group photo is posted on the new Skate Oakville Pairs IG account: https://www.instagram.com/skateoakvillepairs/

This is what we have so far:
On the [far] left, [2019 Novice bronze medalists Mackenzie] Ripley/[Owen] Brawley ... and the second from the right are a new couple, [Audrey] Carle (PN1 single women)/[Gabriel] Farand (N2 with Jamie Fournier).
My informator just told me Paxton new Partner is Cassandra Leung.
I don't recognize the young skaters between Marinaro and Farand. ETA: I'm told they are a pre-novice team.

Last edited:

DFO

I don't recognize the young skaters between Marinaro and Farand.
The girl at the left of Farand, could it be Olivia Boys-Eddy? I heard she was now skating with Livio Mayr from Austria. But if it is Livio besides her, he must have worked a lot on his suntan!!!:D

Sylvia

TBD
Training clip posted by Skate Oakville Pairs today.
For those who can't view the IG story clip, it was a high double twist by Ripley/Brawley and captioned "ready for triple twist." Their Junior SP was choreographed by Mitch Islam, according to their joint IG: https://www.instagram.com/p/BydLNsTnoKX/
The girl at the left of Farand, could it be Olivia Boys-Eddy? I heard she was now skating with Livio Mayr from Austria.
I was informed that they are a pre-novice pair and that Olivia B-E and Livio M. will be skating together as a new team (he has aged out of ISU junior) in Oakville.

Colonel Green

I was informed that they are a pre-novice pair and that Olivia B-E and Livio M. will be skating together as a new team (he has aged out of ISU junior) in Oakville.
Are they planning to compete for Canada or Austria? Purely from an opportunities perspective the latter would probably make more sense.

Sylvia

TBD

Erin

Banned Member

I have heard the same. And while I may not be a fan of hers either, they are the national champions and a high profile team that adds some prestige to the school whatever one’s personal feelings might be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information