U.S. Pairs 2018-19 season - News & Updates, Part IX

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Who do you see splitting up (honest question, I'm not being confrontational)? Of all of them, I'm wondering if Haven Denney will keep going. I wouldn't expect her to split from Brendan, but I think she may have finally hit the proverbial wall with her shortcomings in jumping. I think S-D/B will give it at least one more year to see if they can possibly move up. I think the Knierems will have to look at their health issues and decide if they really want to continue. Otherwise, I don't foresee any splits or big changes. .
Agree with S-D/B - I think they'll give it at least one more year. I suppose, if Haven decides to retire, Brendan is young enough to continue should he find a suitable partner. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Knierems retire but I also wouldn't be surprised if they gave it another season, depending on how quickly Chris can rehab after his wrist surgery.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Agree with S-D/B - I think they'll give it at least one more year. I suppose, if Haven decides to retire, Brendan is young enough to continue should he find a suitable partner. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Knierems retire but I also wouldn't be surprised if they gave it another season, depending on how quickly Chris can rehab after his wrist surgery.

Brendan is on record saying he started with Haven and he will end with Haven. (started as roller skaters together and will end as ice skaters together)

Side note: Although Jason also said he started with Kori and will end with Kori so who knows. lol

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
You have to remember that John Coughlin was a friend of many of these pair skaters. Emotions may have been closer to the surface because of some of them were likely grieving the loss of a friend, mentor, etc.
True. I stand corrected. I had totally forgotten that. And, he was not even mentioned or honored, or remembered or anything. Made me sad.

carriecmu0503

Who do you see splitting up (honest question, I'm not being confrontational)? Of all of them, I'm wondering if Haven Denney will keep going. I wouldn't expect her to split from Brendan, but I think she may have finally hit the proverbial wall with her shortcomings in jumping. I think S-D/B will give it at least one more year to see if they can possibly move up. I think the Knierems will have to look at their health issues and decide if they really want to continue. Otherwise, I don't foresee any splits or big changes. .

Brandon. BrAndOn.

skatfan

I just have to comment that IMO Tarah O' was ridiculous with sobbing. Really? I get the disappointment.....but, take it like a man (so to speak) and breakdown later.

I was watching with my cousin who is not a skating fan. When Tara went into complete meltdown, she and I looked at each other and started laughing. It was pretty over the top given there was no injury. On top of her comments that she cries before completing every time, we just wondered casually why you'd do something that causes that much emotional distress.

aftershocks

Banned Member

Last edited:

Carolla5501

Dalilah's skaters wore or held red Kansas City (Royals?) caps in his honor. It was something.

And after the first day or so those hats were gone. Something tells me USFS got to her and told her STOP in no uncertain terms. The outcry on social media was definitely against them and their hats. USFS was in a bad position here and I think under the circumstances any time of "memorial" might have just been seen as a bad PR move.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I was watching with my cousin who is not a skating fan. When Tara went into complete meltdown, she and I looked at each other and started laughing. It was pretty over the top given there was no injury. On top of her comments that she cries before completing every time, we just wondered casually why you'd do something that causes that much emotional distress.

Please stop with the judgmental shaming. Are you or your cousin athletes? I would imagine you are both human. How do you really know how you would react during a very larger-than-life stressful moment? Can we take a step back please and be kinder to the athletes. We all have our individual likes and dislikes and our opinions and our perceptions, but mocking, judging, and making fun of skaters' travails is IMHO way out of bounds.

skatfan

Please stop with the judgmental shaming. Are you or your cousin athletes? I would imagine you are both human. How do you really know how you would react during a very larger-than-life stressful moment? Can we take a step back please and be kinder to the athletes. We all have our individual likes and dislikes and our opinions and our perceptions, but mocking, judging, and making fun of skaters' travails is IMHO way out of bounds.

Wow. I didn't go up and tell them to shape up - I was in my own living room. Of course I was sad they hadn’t skated well, but to say that one can’t have an honest reaction to what seemed over the top at the time? Nah.

I’m not their coach or on their team, who are hopefully helping them through this. I wish them well at 4CCS where I’ll see them skate live.

happycamper2554

I’m not their coach or on their team, who are hopefully helping them through this. I wish them well at 4CCS where I’ll see them skate live.[/QUOTE]

Not to be a pessimist but i'm worried about their mental state going into this. That last lift was so devastating. I hope they are able to come back from it. I also am worried about them possibly splitting if it doesn't go well. But I live my life as a worry wart.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I was so appalled by Christine Brennan's latest article from USA Today. It happened to come up in my Twitter feed.

That woman has sunk to a new low in serving her self-promotional agenda.

Last edited:

Skittl1321

Side note: Although Jason also said he started with Kori and will end with Kori so who knows. lol

Maybe he'll get back to her before his last skate?

In pairs news... USFS posted on their facebook page about C/L coming back from injury to win, with their #wegetup.
I'm SO proud of them for their win. But man, that slogan really bothers me in reference to her injury. She shouldn't have gotten up that day... (though I place no fault to things that happen in traumatic situations in the moment) I worry this slogan is harmful in the long run.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I also am worried about them possibly splitting if it doesn't go well.

Tarah and Danny have stuck together through a lot, as have quite a few of the U.S. teams. It's been a great thing that U.S. teams are sticking together through thick and thin. I doubt there's any danger of Tarah & Danny quitting over this mishap. Other teams have experienced fluke lift woes, including Tarasova/Morosov (Skate America 2016) and Kirsten/Michael (at a Canadian Natls event a couple of years ago I believe). Those are just two teams who come immediately to mind, but there are definitely others who lost a lot of points on a lift mishap, including this season.

Like Ashley said during the press conference, after what happened during their fp lift at Golden Spin, far from being hesitant or anxious about that lift element, she couldn't wait to get back out there and train the lift again, when cleared by her doctors. I am quite sure that Tarah/Danny feel the same. Tarah is, like all pairs girls, one tough cookie. That's another reason to show Tarah mucho respect about her emotional reaction to a split-second moment that went wrong, and meant the difference between winning and fourth place. Doing what pairs skaters do on a regular basis is freakin' amazing! :respec:

T&D know what happened, and all they can do is grow from the experience and take precautions against it. Think about the wardrobe malfunction that happened to Gaby and Guillaume at the Olympics, which likely made the dffference between gold and silver. G&G have not allowed that mishap to hamper them moving forward. They learned from what happened and they released it.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Brendan is on record saying he started with Haven and he will end with Haven. (started as roller skaters together and will end as ice skaters together)

It's like Eve Harrington's award acceptance speech where she says that theatre is her first love. But next week she's going to Hollywood to headline a movie.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Maybe he'll get back to her before his last skate?

In pairs news... USFS posted on their facebook page about C/L coming back from injury to win, with their #wegetup.
I'm SO proud of them for their win. But man, that slogan really bothers me in reference to her injury. She shouldn't have gotten up that day... (though I place no fault to things that happen in traumatic situations in the moment) I worry this slogan is harmful in the long run.

ITA that the slogan is used erroneously as some kind of all-inclusive, knee-jerk panacea for every issue athletes face and for every problem the fed is failing to address. It's fine to have such a slogan if they would use it in appropriate contexts.

In this instance, Ash & Timothy overcoming the odds after the tumble at Golden Spin is more about Ash & Timothy being positive and listening to doctors, coaches, trainers, counselors, etc in the aftermath of the incident, in order to be able to get back on track together. Ashley's recovery is more about courage, positivity, self-belief, desire, program visualization, following medical protocols, and also luck that she was able to recover physically as well as she has. It's crucial to use common sense and do what is necessary, along with prayer and maintaining a positive attitude. It's not about blindly getting up without due diligence. It's more about not giving up when the going gets tough, and U.S. fed should make that message clearer.

aftershocks

Banned Member

It's like Eve Harrington's award acceptance speech where she says that theatre is her first love. But next week she's going to Hollywood to headline a movie.

Well, but Brandon Frazier does not just talk the talk, he has definitely walked the walked, and put his career where his mouth is. He stuck with Haven when she was facing career-ending surgery and an entire year off rehabbing her knee, plus a difficult comeback with lots of ups-and-downs. Give credit where credit is due. :) While Haven was rehabbing, Brandon didn't sit idle either, he worked hard on improving his aesthetics.

Frankly, H&B went through a split when they were very young and Brandon *decided to step away from the sport briefly to pursue football. However, he quickly found that he missed figure skating and re-partnered with Haven. But sometime later one of their families relocated and they broke up again and skated with different partners. See post #302 for details (also see @Sylvia's link in post #299 to Claire's interview awhile back with H&B in which they mentioned why they split). H&B did not fare as well with different partners, and so they re-committed once again. Soon after they re-paired, H&B ended up winning junior Worlds, and they knew down to the bone that they are made for each other. :D

* Edited to correct chronology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIsmOEsGMbg (2017 USFS interview feature with H&B)

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Well, but Brandon Frazier does not just talk the talk, he has definitely walked the walked, and put his career where his mouth is. He stuck with Haven when she was facing career-ending surgery and an entire year off rehabbing her knee, plus a difficult comeback with lots of ups-and-downs. Give credit where credit is due. :) While Haven was rehabbing, Brandon didn't sit idle either, he worked hard on improving his aesthetics.

Frankly, H&B went through a split years ago when one of their families moved and Brandon also decided to step away from the sport briefly to pursue football. After only a few months, he missed figure skating and came back with a new partner to middling results. And then he and Haven got back together when she also did not fare as well with a different partner. Soon after they got back together, H&B ended up winning junior Worlds, and they knew down to the bone that they are made for each other. :D

I really like this team, and it's a shame that like a few other promising couples, it is the individual jump elements that stop them from progressing to where they want to be.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Yep, I've always had a soft spot for H&B, and I love their skating. Their lifts are par excellence, and they are definitely improving all-around. It has just been a big adjustment for them coming back from Haven's serious knee injury. I mean mucho kudos should be given to Haven for even being able to walk again, much less skate, jump, and do pairs diva swag on a regular basis! :respec: Credit to Brandon too for his positive support and the solid back-up he's given to Haven. :)

Chiefs and they got crucified for it.

Who did the crucifying? (((Sigh))) Feeling sad for a friend's passing should not involve having to censor oneself out of political correctness over something that is tragic all the way around, and also still unclear/under investigation. But, oh well, I understand the fed wanting to tiptoe around it all very carefully.

Personally, I vote for healing, respect and reconciliation, but also for not forgetting or dismissing someone whom many hold very dear and positive memories of.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Frankly, H&B went through a split years ago when one of their families moved and Brandon also decided to step away from the sport briefly to pursue football. After only a few months, he missed figure skating and came back with a new partner to middling results.
I don't recall Brandon ever leaving skating during his younger years to pursue football? @clairecloutier's in-depth interview back in September 2016 with Haven and Brandon doesn't mention football at all: https://adivinesport.com/2016/09/21/interview-with-denneyfrazier/

Are you perhaps thinking of a pair skater named Miles Addison who did that before re-teaming with his original partner, Kay Bergdolt, and competing together again in Junior Pairs at 2015 & 2016 Nationals? I remember posting an article about Miles switching from pair skating to football on FSU many years ago.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
And after the first day or so those hats were gone. Something tells me USFS got to her and told her STOP in no uncertain terms. The outcry on social media was definitely against them and their hats. USFS was in a bad position here and I think under the circumstances any time of "memorial" might have just been seen as a bad PR move.

Holy Moly..

ANL was so dense that i was like why the heck is everyone wearing these hats???? It was because of Sap???? It actually never crossed my mind..

ANL is so business minded...that if anyone (includes coach) wants me to throw on a hat advertising a product, a city or whatever then you can believe there are gonna be some Benjamins involved for ole ANL!! Thats where you need to take to my agent. LOL. Thanks, line my pockets first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information