U.S. Men 2023-24 news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Excerpt from @Jayar's Maxim Naumov article before he competes at this week's CS Nepela in Bratislava (first full competition of the season, IIRC?):
"I've really focused a lot of the offseason on improving my components and cleaning up my technical elements," he said. "Right now, my programs have a similar technical content as they did last season, but I have really worked to try to earn higher grade of execution scores. I would love to skate clean at Skate America, but I really want to show my new artistry and new approach to choreography. I have no expectations of placement — I just want to be as consistent as possible."
Naumov has elected to keep his "Glimpse of Us" (Joji) short program from last season but has a new free skate to Puccini's three-act opera "Tosca." Both programs were choreographed by Disney on Ice veteran Adam Blake.
"Tosca is one of the most beautiful pieces ever, and in my opinion, I really feel like I have to step it up," he said. "This is a piece that I have wanted to skate to for a long time, but I was encouraged to save it for when I was a bit more mature. My old skating was not cutting it, so taking time to really work with my mom and Adam has been very good for me. I have been working on my expression and artistry, and honestly, I am learning how to just slow things down. I mean, skating fast is good but rushing things is not, so I am trying to slow things down to make more of an impact when it is called for."

Sylvia

TBD
Very :cool: for Jacob! TV Alerts thread I've created:

ice coverage

Tomoki has been assigned to Budapest Trophy, so one has to assume he'll show up at one of the last NQS competitions in a couple weeks.

Tomoki Hiwatashi is on the entry list for Texas Trophy NQS in Senior Men.
Also William Hubbart! First NQS of the season for him too.
And Emmanuel Savary.

Plus .. the fourth entry is Sebra Yen, representing SC of Northern Virginia.
The name was not familiar to me, but FWIW, seems to be the same person as Sebra Yen who competed in 2008-9 season at JGPs and Four Continents. Born in Charlottesville and from SC of Northern Virginia, Yen represented Taiwan. Coached then by Audrey Weisiger and Chris Conte. (Yen's pronouns are they/them, per Instagram profile.)
From a Dec 2022 reel on Yen's Instagram account (which has many reels of his their recent skating):
I started skating later than most folks (age 12) and was always in a rush to pass the next test and land the next triple. I did not have the support necessary to continue on and stopped competing after 2009. Life happens and I am now skating again for fun and for health purposes at the age of 32. Skating is for everyone — there is NO linear path in skating. It is not just an “elite” sport and we need to change that.
#figureskating #adultsskatetoo #asianskater #aapi #bipoc #queer #trans #nonbinary
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkH08MkLlaQ/
👏👏👏

(All Senior Men in this season's NQS should be able to advance to Sectionals, which have 18 slots per section. :cool:
Ditto for Junior Men and Novice Men.)

Last edited:

ice coverage

Tomoki Hiwatashi is on the entry list for Texas Trophy NQS in Senior Men.
Also William Hubbart! First NQS of the season for him too.
And Emmanuel Savary. ...

Update: Tomoki Hiwatashi is on the entry list for Boston Open NQS this week.
He now is marked as WD in Texas Trophy NQS starting order.

Very happy to see that Lucas Altieri ❤️ (former Team USA junior medalist) also is on Senior Men entry list for Boston Open NQS.
He has been skating for Boston University's winning intercollegiate team, and also placed fourth at 2023 Collegiates.

ETA:​

Tayside Trophy entries are finally available via their Sportity app and Samuel Mindra has been assigned for the US!

Samuel Mindra apparently is entered in this week's Kings Cup International too.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
US junior men did so well today. Can both Beck and Daniel make the final? I’m confused when I tuned in after Daniel was done I thought Alexandr was much lower in the standings, he’s almost in third place. I thought when I checked half way through the competition he was much lower down. Anyways, what a great job

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
US junior men did so well today. Can both Beck and Daniel make the final? I’m confused when I tuned in after Daniel was done I thought Alexandr was much lower in the standings, he’s almost in third place. I thought when I checked half way through the competition he was much lower down. Anyways, what a great job
No, only one of Beck or Daniel can make the JGPF. Beck is sitting in 6th in the standings, so if Daniel finishes 1st he will go to the JGPF and if he finishes 2nd then it will come down to combined total score to determine who goes, and if he finishes 3rd or lower than Beck is in and Daniel winds up as an alternate.

mtnskater

Martynov has such a great consistent triple axel. And his triple lutz is textbook. He does everything well. I saw more expression today. At 17 his future is bright no matter how it goes in the free.

Alexander Fegan is so stretched in his classical positions and so expressive at 13. Who knows how he will grow but he has a great foundation. It will be fun to watch him over the next few years. Glad USFS gave him a junior Grand Prix this year!

Sylvia

TBD
Martynov has such a great consistent triple axel. And his triple lutz is textbook. He does everything well. I saw more expression today. At 17 his future is bright no matter how it goes in the free.

Alexander Fegan is so stretched in his classical positions and so expressive at 13. Who knows how he will grow but he has a great foundation. It will be fun to watch him over the next few years. Glad USFS gave him a junior Grand Prix this year!
Daniel Martynov's 1st place SP (79.24) in Yerevan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8iYiigXYW8
His is now the highest ISU Junior/JGP score this season, eclipsing Jacob Sanchez's 77.69 in Bangkok.

"Sasha" Fegan's 4th place SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OBMfRMRgyU

Sylvia

TBD
U.S. men had 10 JGP spots (picked up 3 extra) this year:

THA: Sanchez 4th (201.49), Xie 6th (181.06)
AUT: Strommer 3rd (210.92, 140.94 in FS is the #1 U.S. men's JGP score)
TUR: Kovar 9th (166.30)
JPN: Martynov 3rd (207.98, 137.23 in FS is #3), Xie 4th (204.13, 140.51 in FS is #2)
HUN: Sanchez 5th (198.67)
POL: Strommer 2nd (200.22)
ARM: Martynov, Fegan

The initial selections for the first 4 JGPs were based on the U.S. Junior Team Cup results in Milwaukee in the first week of July. Michael Xie won (199.10) and that's supposedly why he was the only man who got 2 assignments up front (ditto for Elyce Lin-Gracey among the women).
Kai Kovar was the next age-eligible finisher in 3rd (187.82), followed by Beck Strommer (186.57) and Jacob Sanchez (183.89).
Daniel Martynov was 9th (168.51) but his solid 10th place showing in his Junior Worlds debut -- in which he cleanly landed all 3 of his 3A -- was likely a factor in him being selected initially.

6th to 8th in Milwaukee were Lorenzo Elano (179.75), Taira Shinohara (174.71) and Aleksandr Fegan (173.20).
The current top 4 in the NQS Junior standings are Sanchez (236.47 in Sept.), Shinohara (201.20) who recently landed 3A cleanly in both programs for the first time in a Sept. non-NQS comp., Strommer (197.01) and Fegan (196.34 in Sept., 2nd to Sanchez).

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

U.S. men had 10 JGP spots (picked up 3 extra) this year:

JPN: Martynov 3rd (207.98, 137.23 in FS is #3), Xie 4th (204.13, 140.51 in FS is #2)
ARM: Martynov, Fegan

The initial selections for the first 4 JGPs were based on the U.S. Junior Team Cup results in Milwaukee in the first week of July. Michael Xie won (199.10) and that's supposedly why he was the only man who got 2 assignments up front (ditto for Elyce Lin-Gracey among the women).
Kai Kovar was the next age-eligible finisher in 3rd (187.82), followed by Beck Strommer (186.57) and Jacob Sanchez (183.89).
Daniel Martynov was 9th (168.51) but his solid 10th place showing in his Junior Worlds debut -- in which he cleanly landed all 3 of his 3A -- was likely a factor in him being selected initially.

6th to 8th in Milwaukee were Lorenzo Elano (179.75), Taira Shinohara (174.71) and Aleksandr Fegan (173.20).
The current top 4 in the NQS Junior standings are Sanchez (236.47 in Sept.), Shinohara (201.20) who recently landed 3A cleanly in both programs for the first time in a Sept. non-NQS comp., Strommer (197.01) and Fegan (196.34 in Sept., 2nd to Sanchez).

thank you for going through the time to typing all of this out

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Congratulations to a bunch of US men (Yaroslav, Goku, and Samuel) here at the kings championships cup at the Toyota center in El Segundo. Not far from where I went to college. I should’ve drove down there it’s only 20 minutes away.

Samuel Mindra, who I adored last season is in third place right now. Hope he Continues to develop.

Sidenote, only local Los Angelenos will understand this …. my drag name is Elsa Gundo. Lol I’m a local queen. I don’t go east of the 405.

skatingguy

decently
Congratulations to a bunch of US men (Yaroslav, Goku, and Samuel) here at the kings championships cup at the Toyota center in El Segundo. Not far from where I went to college. I should’ve drove down there it’s only 20 minutes away.

Samuel Mindra, who I adored last season is in third place right now. Hope he Continues to develop.

Sidenote, only local Los Angelenos will understand this …. my drag name is Elsa Gundo. Lol I’m a local queen. I don’t go east of the 405.
Believe it or not but people outside of Los Angeles will have heard of El Segundo, California.

moonvine

Yes you should have! It was great. I even found a few novices to enjoy.

Sylvia

TBD
JPN: Martynov 3rd (207.98, 137.23 in FS #4), Xie 4th (204.13, 140.51 in FS #3)
Updated after ARM: Martynov 1st (220.09, 140.85 in FS is now #2), Fegan 4th (185.78)
Big congrats to Daniel Martynov for qualifying for the JGP final, which gives him a bye to nationals :cheer2:
Daniel's winner's interview today :): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0kidJlOUwU

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

oh my gosh has anybody here ever heard of David Shapiro? In this first video, the spin he does at the end I would like to see him and Jason do this side by side

and the two minute 15 second mark in the second video

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Sylvia

TBD
oh my gosh has anybody here ever heard of David Shapiro?
Yes, @YukiNieve posted about him in last season's U.S. Men's thread :) - he was noticed by Daisuke Takahashi and invited to perform in his May 2023 Ice Explosion show in Japan! :cheer: Go here for more info/his clips: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ama-may-12-14-in-fukuoka.110288/#post-6428667
David is competing with the University of Delaware collegiate figure skating team and not in U.S. qualifying/NQS (he competed twice at U.S. Nationals in Junior, finishing 7th in 2019 and 9th in 2020; coached by Viktor Pfeifer). Link to Shapiro's Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/david_shap_/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Tomoki Hiwatashi is in Budapest and has re-shared 2 Instagram story clips (filmed by a Hungarian skating fan) of him landing 3Lz+3T in his SP run through (last season's "Romani Holiday" that was choreo. by Mark Pillay) and then 3A and 4T: https://www.instagram.com/tomostar0120/
He skates his SP in about 4.5 hours - GOOOO TOMOKI!!! :cheer:

Tomoki's updated Team USA bio: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/sports/figure-skating/roster/tomoki-hiwatashi/815

Sept. 13 in this thread:
I've heard [Tomoki is training] in Japan but no details have come from Tomoki himself since he posted back in May about working with Mark Pillay and Jeff Buttle on his programs in Toronto:
SP (last season's "Romani Holiday") with Pillay: https://www.instagram.com/p/CsKfUwGuNgo/
FS (Finlandia by Jean Sibelius - sounds intriguing!) with Buttle [at the Cricket Club]: https://www.instagram.com/p/Csc0ar3OTWT/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information