U.S. Men 2021-22 season news & updates

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Yeah they're on friendlty terms with each other but they're also competitive. I bet each team would do both segments if given a chance.
The head coach needs to sign the forms, and I don't think they will if both say they will do both.

If that weren't the case, I think both would say both.

Spiralgraph

Ahh Kwanfan1818, I still disagree with you, but the decisions are not ours to make Will we (the fans) know what each team/skater officially decides to do? My memory is hazy on when we knew what the skaters chose to do in the previous Olympics.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I'm not sure when it was announced that the Shibs would do both segments or by whom or whether it was their choice. While they weren't world-beaters like Davis/White, who were clear about taking both segments in 2014, and Chock/Bates and the Shibs had to live with it, in 2018 they were still the only Dance team who had been on the world podium, in the last two years before the Olympics and back in 2011, and the closest H/D had gotten were 6th, in 2016. So the Shibs would have had influence over their fate. Zoueva didn't have another team on the Olympic Team, so it was all Shibs in 2018. C/B were with Shpilband until the end of the season, and H/D at Gadbois.

It might have been Moore-Towers/Moscovitch and Duhamel/Radford who spoke about talking to each other and agreeing upon the split in 2014, but, AFAIK, Skate Canada hasn't described a declaration form due the month before Nationals, so they might have a different way of figuring out the members of the TE. I do remember reading/hearing in an interview that at least one set of competitors in the TE event said that they made their agreement beforehand. I just don't remember if it was any of the Americans, too.

mtnskater

Wow, I’m in love with Jacob Sanchez and his great Footloose short program in Gdańsk. ❤️ Already watched it three times 🤪 Who did the choreography?? Captured the fun of the music so well, loaded with cool steps and transitions. I haven’t seen Jacob‘s skating since Novice when he was so tiny, but still a standout performance wise even then. A ball of energy. But now his posture and basic extensions looks very nice and more mature. Looks like his coaches are former Russian pairs skaters Selezneva and Makarov?

Will Annis hit that opening 3 axel like swooosh! Very impressive. Over cooked the other required jumps, but boy is he an athletic talent. If he continues to harness that it will be something. Love his layover camel too, which I wouldn’t expect from such a powerhouse.

Vagabond

I'm not sure when it was announced that the Shibs would do both segments or by whom or whether it was their choice. While they weren't world-beaters like Davis/White, who were clear about taking both segments in 2014, and Chock/Bates and the Shibs had to live with it, in 2018 they were still the only Dance team who had been on the world podium, in the last two years before the Olympics and back in 2011, and the closest H/D had gotten were 6th, in 2016. So the Shibs would have had influence over their fate.
I don't follow what you are saying here. Chock & Bates had earned World medals in 2015 and 2016.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
We had two Pairs in Sochi, too, and only Castelli/Shnapir competed in the TE.

Substitutions are assigned by the strength of the discipline, and, stupidly, the ISU only allows two substitutions. The Men and Dance will have first dibs on substitutions, then Women, then Pairs. There is very little chance that there will be substitution slots left by the time Pairs are nominated, with an Olympic medal on the line, as opposed to a warm-up opportunity for the short.
Did you actually think the ISU would be fair or logical?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I don't follow what you are saying here. Chock & Bates had earned World medals in 2015 and 2016.
Bad math -- I mis-remembered C/B having been on the podium in 2014 and 2015, and the comma was supposed to be after "Olympics." I thought the Shibs had been the only team on the world podium in the last two years before the Olympics, and they also had medalled in 2011.

By the TE selection, though, the Shibs were easily considered the frontrunners in Dance, certainly one of the top two disciplines, especially after C/B dropped to 7th at 2017 Worlds. And, according to the USFS rules, they got first dibs according to their stated preferences. Signed by Zoueva, whether officially by the rules at the time, or behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Wow, I’m in love with Jacob Sanchez and his great Footloose short program in Gdańsk. ❤️ Already watched it three times 🤪 Who did the choreography??
Larisa Selezneva. Watch Jacob's 3rd place (70.92) SP and his reaction to his score here :): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YkO5CYfjbQ
Captured the fun of the music so well, loaded with cool steps and transitions. I haven’t seen Jacob‘s skating since Novice when he was so tiny, but still a standout performance wise even then. A ball of energy. But now his posture and basic extensions looks very nice and more mature. Looks like his coaches are former Russian pairs skaters Selezneva and Makarov?
Yes. Jacob kept this fun "Footloose" program from last season (his stellar 2021 Nationals performance of it was instrumental to him winning the Junior pewter medal since his FS did not go as well). Fan Zone article that was published last month:
Will Annis hit that opening 3 axel like swooosh! Very impressive. Over cooked the other required jumps, but boy is he an athletic talent. If he continues to harness that it will be something. Love his layover camel too, which I wouldn’t expect from such a powerhouse.
Here's Will Annis' MUCH better skated 1st place SP (76.21) from JGP #3 in Kosice that helped him win the bronze medal in SVK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm9__s4q5H8
Annis was credited with standing up on a clean 4Lo in his Kosice FS - hope he goes for it again tomorrow.

Last edited:

olympic

After seeing the results of the JO today, Vincent's LP marks at Nebelhorn last week hold up well against the bulk of the JPN men, although Yuzu and Yuma were not there, Shoma was ...

ETA - I think Vincent attempted a 4F and 4T at Cranberry Open and stuck w/ the 4T at Nebelhorn. It seems both were executed at the same level of competence at Cranberry. I wonder if he should reintroduce the 4F in addition to / instead of the 4T .... More points potential and all that ...

Sylvia

TBD
Some quotes from Vincent as well as Drew Meekins after Nebelhorn Trophy: https://www.teamusa.org/News/2021/S...-Ensure-US-Third-Olympic-Figure-Skating-Spots
Meekins, along with Tom Zakrajsek, trains Zhou at the World Arena in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Meekins focuses on the artistic and presentation aspects of Zhou’s skating, while Zakrajsek’s role is more technical, but the two coaches work in concert.
“We write intricate and specific training plans for Vincent every week, aimed at not only the highest level of conditioning but also polish and challenges for both his body and mind,” Meekins said. “I feel this kind of training has not only made him well conditioned and improved the quality of his elements, but has also made him physically and mentally tough.”
The skater first used “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” during the 2018-19 season, winning a world bronze medal. Originally choreographed by Jeffrey Buttle, Zhou and Toronto-based Lori Nichol retooled many of the program’s steps and movements during virtual training sessions this spring and summer.
“We basically did a 2.0 on this program,” Zhou said. “We are continuing to work virtually to polish this program and make all of the transitions much better and make my skating stronger, so I can consistently get my components (artistry and presentation marks).”
In Gdansk, Poland, Will Annis placed 3rd in the FS (130.99) with a good 4T attempt, 5th overall (197.13), and Jacob Sanchez finished 7th in the FS (123.11) -- he looked happy after he finished & Ted B. was very complimentary :) -- and 6th overall (194.03).

Congrats to Ilia Malinin on qualifying for his first JGP Final :) (all the JGP gold medalists have qualified) - he's the only U.S. man competing in the 7th & final JGP in Linz, Austria this week and hopefully he will have a better FS than in Courchevel so he can gain momentum & confidence for what's to come.

Jason and Camden have arrived in Espoo for Finlandia Trophy - should be an exciting competition!

Last edited:

Taso

Jacob Sanchez finished 7th in the FS (123.11) -- he looked happy after he finished & Ted B. was very complimentary :) -- and 6th overall (194.03).
Wow, his footwork in that long program is BEAUTIFUL, so so so good. His speed, edges, and full use of the body are amazing for a 14 year old. Not surprised he is coached by Selezneva & Makarov, who themselves have some of the deepest edges and easiest speed generation of all the pairs teams across the years.

ETA: His spins also don't travel at all, like Ksenia Makarova's, too. Hope he can get the big jumps!

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Jason looks more or less exactly how I'd expect him to look in early October, and 92+ is no small score for point of the season.

Not bad for someone with a supposedly broken foot and barely doing triples at Champs Camp and should consider withdrawing from his GPs, eh? :rolleyes:

skatingguy

decently
Jason looks more or less exactly how I'd expect him to look in early October, and 92+ is no small score for point of the season.

Not bad for someone with a supposedly broken foot and barely doing triples at Champs Camp and should consider withdrawing from his GPs, eh? :rolleyes:
If there's an issue last year's short program is not where it's going to show up. Let's see how the free skate goes, and does he go for the quad, and how close to rotated is it?

Sylvia

TBD
Ted Barton's winner's interview with Ilia Malinin (3 new ISU PB scores in Linz, including 245.35 total!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbKvXjHQwxk
1​
Ilia MALININUSA
81.31​
45.35​
35.96​
7.21​
7.07​
7.32​
7.18​
7.18​
0.00​
#3​
SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_kWQ1BxZUA
1​
Ilia MALININUSA
164.04​
88.68​
75.36​
7.54​
7.39​
7.68​
7.50​
7.57​
0.00​
#23​
FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfI9pkjv9AA
Jumps listed in his protocol (82.87 base value): 4T (-2.31 GOE=7.19 pts; step out), 4S (+2.33=12.33), 3A (9.94), 3F / 3Aq+1Eu+3S (13.39), 3Lz+3Loq (-1.18=10.7), 3Lz+3T (11.87); all level 4 spins & L3 footwork.

Last edited:

Cayuse

Well, Vincent and Jason have started out their season w/ a bang! Good SP from Jason at Finlandia! He looks super-fit, albeit very thin
When you look thin on TV in a sport populated by small men and tiny women, that is an issue of concern to me.

Sylvia

TBD
Skate America news today - Jimmy Ma will compete in Las Vegas (no reason given for Paniot's WD):

ETA: This is a nice 26th birthday present for Jimmy today! :)

Last edited:

Lizziebeth

I know that USFS is supporting Paniot a lot, but does he have US citizenship yet? I know he has been living here quite a while and I think I read he has a green card but can't remember about the citizenship.

Too bad about withdrawing, but it is a nice opportunity for Jimmy.

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks to @Stephanie for the heads up that USFS has published their entries on their website for the 2 ISU Challengers in November - the 4 men assigned are:

CS Cup of Austria in Graz (Nov. 11-14): Ilia Malinin - his senior international debut (not counting Skate America last year where he made a splash by placing 5th) before he competes in the JGP Final in December

CS Warsaw Cup (Nov. 18-21): Jimmy Ma, Eric Sjöberg (bronze at U.S. Classic; this will be his first ISU Challenger), Vincent Zhou

clairecloutier

Here's a new story about Jimmy Ma by @Jayar:

Ma reveals that he's working on a quad flip and may include it in his FS later in the season.

Sylvia

TBD
Pre-Skate America article on Vincent Zhou by Karen Rosen (Oct. 21):
Excerpts:
He has not decided how many quadruple jumps he will attempt in his free skate at Skate America, which concludes the day before his 21st birthday, but is leaning towards five quads “just to get a little more mileage on it.”
Zhou said that two quads in the short program and four or more in the long are now the standard for what it takes to be on the Olympic podium.
“Everybody scoring above 300 points, that’s what they’re all doing,” he said.
He said he can come into the rink and do a triple lutz without any warmup, but “quads are like wild, untamed animals and people who can get them under control – massive respect to them.”
Zhou has also been doing a lot of adaptability training, such as setting his alarm at 4 a.m. to simulate jet lag or running through his programs in costume in his first session after a few days off.
After he had a late practice at Nebelhorn Trophy the night before his short program, he did not get even six hours of sleep and felt awful the next morning when he stepped on the ice. But Zhou was still able to perform well because of the simulations.
Because of primetime television broadcasts in the United States, he knows if he makes it to Beijing, the competitions will also be held in the early morning.
Zhou withdrew from his fall 2019 Grand Prix assignments because of conflicts with his rigorous freshman class schedule at Brown University. When the pandemic hit, he had time to reflect on what he wanted out of skating.
“This year I find that flame has returned and it’s returned in full force,” Zhou said. “Every single day, no matter good or bad, I have that end goal in sight. I just have this boundless drive to want to show just how good I can be, and I think what’s more valuable than anything else is having that desire and believing in myself.”
After this season, the Palo Alto, California, native plans to return to Brown to earn his degree, likely studying business development or possibly marketing, finance or economics.
“Academics has always been my family’s No. 1 priority,” Zhou said. “I definitely still want to keep skating, but we’ll see how it goes.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information