U.S. Men 2021-22 season news & updates

WOULDACOULDARETURNS

There are also very few places to park a car, and inevitably one would have to move the car at least once a day due to alternate side of the street parking restrictions. Garaging a car is prohibitively expensive in Manhattan.
Not to mention the cost of parking at Chelsea Piers. I competed there several years ago, and was shocked at the price.

alexikeguchi

Columbia U is just across the Hudson from Hackensack, NJ (just minutes away across the GW Bridge) and the great coaches based there. I am fairly certain that's where Camden will end up if he is training for Olympic level competition in the NYC metro area.
While I agree that Hackensack is probably the best regional facility for someone based in Morningside Heights, "just minutes across the GWB" is stretching credulity. Millions of commuters wish it were so...

clairecloutier

It's certainly going to be interesting for Camden. If he goes to Hackensack, there's also the cost of tolls to consider: $16 roundtrip over the GWB. If he trained 6 days/wk, as many skaters do, that would be $384 mo/, roughly, for tolls alone. :eek: Although, I imagine he might cut back to, say, 4 days/wk (??).

I would estimate the time for a Columbia --> Sky Rink commute as probably around 40-50 min total. The walk from the nearest subway stop to the rink is about 12-15 min. Factor in his walk from Columbia to subway, at around 5-10 min, plus 5-10 min waiting for the subway, plus maybe a 15-20 min ride on the subway. Sky Rink is in a neat location, but it's not what I would call convenient for day-to-day training.

I don't think driving to Sky Rink would make any sense, as parking is $26/2 hrs. Definitely cheaper to take the subway and probably not much more time spent overall. (It might even be the same amount of time depending on traffic.)

If I were him and going to Columbia, I'd look to see if I could take some of my classes during the summers. Another option might be living in New Jersey and only going into Manhattan a couple days a week for classes. (I have no idea if either of these is actually feasible with Columbia's rules.)

Camden's results at Worlds kind of put him in a new league in terms of his skating. I wouldn't be surprised if he were to reassess some of his plans in the next few months.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
My sister went to Barnard and I have a friend teaching at Columbia. They are not terribly flexible about their requirements. Also, living on campus is really important for a uni experience, stick him in Hacksensack and he won’t really be taking advantage of Columbia.

clairecloutier

My sister went to Barnard and I have a friend teaching at Columbia. They are not terribly flexible about their requirements. Also, living on campus is really important for a uni experience, stick him in Hacksensack and he won’t really be taking advantage of Columbia.

I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure that Camden has always lived off-campus while going to university in Colorado. Which isn't to say that one don't lose something by living off-campus. It's just sometimes the most practical decision for cost or scheduling reasons. (ETA: Interesting statistic here--only 22% of U.S. university students live on campus. https://financesonline.com/student-housing-statistics/)

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
If I were him and going to Columbia, I'd look to see if I could take some of my classes during the summers. Another option might be living in New Jersey and only going into Manhattan a couple days a week for classes. (I have no idea if either of these is actually feasible with Columbia's rules.)
Columbia doesn't have enough housing to require anyone but residence advisors to live on campus. Typically on campus residence requirements are for freshman, anyway.

Students can generally create a schedule around the core curriculum and requirements for their major. The specific courses listed on the current Core Curriculum page show that they run either Mondays or Mondays/Wednesdays. So unless he has to create a tetris-like schedule around requirements in any given semester, he could manage living in NJ logistically. In Hackensack, he'd have good company.

layman

And let's not mention Bridgegate! :D
That was all Chris Christie's doing. He has been out of office for 5 years now.

As for the commute between Manhattan and Hackensack, it's a 10 to 20 minute drive (depending on traffic) and I would recommend that Camden uber or take a taxi between school and his training base (in Hackensack). There is no need for him to own a vehicle.

Last edited:

cheremary

Columbia has a shuttle that goes from the Morningside Heights campus to the Lamont campus across the river, with a stop in Fort Lee that is not far from Hackensack. If training in Hackensack is the goal while attending Columbia, I’d probably try this option first unless money were no object.

Last edited:

Tavi

How much flexibility he has will depend on what undergrad college he’s attending. Most non traditional/ transfer students (eg, NYCB dancers transitioning out of ballet) attend General Studies, not Columbia College. It’s strict academically but more flexible as to schedule/ living arrangements.

Debbie S

Debbie S

Sounds like we finally learned what the MJM is, just get really skinny at all costs. :( I hope they've been put out to pasture permanently.
I think Mark and Peter have left coaching to open an inn (or restaurant?) on the Cape so it does sound like they've been put out to pasture. Hopefully, Ross Miner is done too.

I'm sure Mark and Peter told their students the same things they were told when they competed. That's the big obstacle to changing the culture in any sport....athletes grow up and see how things get done and when they become coaches, they do things the same way. It's going to take a lot to break unhealthy beliefs and make true change. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information