U.S. Ladies [#26]: Bell, Boots, and Camel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
She should focus on putting her combination in the second part of her short program. Since she'd want to have it before her solo triple jumping pass this would mean putting both of them in the second half.

If she can move the combos to the latter half of her free skate, well, that would hold her in good stead. :)

natsulian

She should focus on putting her combination in the second part of her short program. Since she'd want to have it before her solo triple jumping pass this would mean putting both of them in the second half.

If she can move the combos to the latter half of her free skate, well, that would hold her in good stead. :)
Bradie has two combos near the end of her program with the 3Lz-3T and 3Lo-2T-2Lo. I really want her to try out a 3A because her 2A technique is very good. With a 3A, 3Lz-3T, 3F, 2A, 3Lz-3T, 3S, and 3Lo-2T-2Lo layout, I think she could be a major contender in every competition.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
People often ask me why I have such a proclivity for Bradie and they go on to list her lack of artistry, flow, and her under-rotations,

She's my fav too, but if people, are going after her for under-rotations then they must be slaughtering every other US skater to death.

In two seasons she has the least URs of US women... She gets one or two and people lose their minds.

I dont mind that she doesnt move with a ton of fluidity. Not everyone needs to be Michelle Kwan. Not everyone needs to be Angela Nikodinov. Theres enough room for all body types and all ranges of line and motion.

What there's not enough room for are warhorses.

tee-hee

Last edited:

Dobre

In two seasons she has the least URs of US women...

From last season? Prove it.

Ting Cui
Czech Republic JGP-2
Austria JGP-2
Tallinn Trophy--Not findable
Junior Worlds-1
4CCs-2
U.S. Nationals-1

Total: 8

Note: If you can find the protocols for Tallinn, I will tip my hat to you because they don't work on the event website & the ISU Challenger event page--which used to get me in to the protocol in its entirety--now has links for this coming season instead of this past season. In any case, it was a great event for Ting.

Bradie Tennell
4CCs-4
U.S. Nationals-1
Autumn Classic 4
Skate America-3
Internationaux de France-5
Golden Spin-3
Worlds-1
World Team Trophy-0

Note: Bradie competed at more events, and the protocols for her Challengers both work. If we eliminate both Challengers and WTT, we get a comparable number of GP/JGP, Nationals, and Major International events.

Total minus her Challengers and WTT (which means we are ignoring 7 URs): 14

Last edited:

RoseRed

Mariah Bell
WTT - 2
Worlds - 0
4CCs - 0
Nationals - 1
Golden Spin - 2
NHK - 1
Skate Canada - 4
Nebelhorn - 0

Total: 10

Compared to 21 for Bradie.

Maximillian

RIP TA
Bradie does need to do something technically to set herself apart and the 3L/3R is probably her best bet. As it stands right now, she's been clearly 'blocked' as a 5-10 skater TES/PCS wise and she isn't extraordinary enough in any of her components to get a push there, she really needs the 'something extra' in the TES if she wants the PCS bump as well...

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I really don't think Bradie needs a lutz/loop combo to be the top US lady but if she wants to go for it good for her. I have warmed up to her style a lot since last year. I found her short program very dynamic all year and the long program really peaked at WTT. Hopefully she will build on that for next year.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
From last season? Prove it.

Ting Cui
Czech Republic JGP-2
Austria JGP-2
Tallinn Trophy--Not findable
Junior Worlds-1
4CCs-2
U.S. Nationals-1

Total: 8

Note: If you can find the protocols for Tallinn, I will tip my hat to you because they don't work on the event website & the ISU Challenger event page--which used to get me in to the protocol in its entirety--now has links for this coming season instead of this past season. In any case, it was a great event for Ting.

Bradie Tennell
4CCs-4
U.S. Nationals-1
Autumn Classic 4
Skate America-3
Internationaux de France-5
Golden Spin-3
Worlds-1
World Team Trophy-0

Note: Bradie competed at more events, and the protocols for her Challengers both work. If we eliminate both Challengers and WTT, we get a comparable number of GP/JGP, Nationals, and Major International events.

Total minus her Challengers and WTT (which means we are ignoring 7 URs): 14

Oh Dear Lord...... did you check intermediates and novices too.. I in no no no no no way have your kind of free time. lol

Since you do and care this deeply please do Courtney, Mariah, Mirai, Karen and Ashley.. you know.... her competitors..

Otherwise we could include the 6 year old down my street whom I heard had no URs in her program.

Ting was all junior last year until 4CC so she was not in my mind as I was referencing 2 years of work. And Ting was also ALL over the place last 2 seasons with falls galore! Where I can only think of one fall or so for Bradie..One at SP in Olys and maybe one more this season.

AND I also said the last 2 seasons not last September through March.

Sylvia

TBD
Speaking of Courtney Hicks (eta: I've already added this info to the program music spreadsheet)... she had her FS to "Seven Nation Army" choreographed by Karen Kwan back in April:
The 2nd photo has a clip from the beginning: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwIRGm_pgN3/
Footwork clip filmed when she was in Wichita for a show: https://www.instagram.com/p/BxstFy7j3e8/

Jordan Moeller recently finished choreographing her SP to "Hide and Seek" by Imogen Heap (clip from when they started the process in April): https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw5iAS7gvT2/

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
ah yes, 7 Nation Army, the slinky often used Haley Reinhart/Postmodern Jukebox rendition...great choice of Imogen Heap also, her music begs to be used in skating

natsulian

I wonder what's going on with Ting. After her injury, we've only heard about her Free Skate and Short being finished. She has not shown up at any of the camps thus far and is not participating in the Aerial Challenge either (or her name just hasn't been released yet).

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I wonder what's going on with Ting.
She seems very happy to have gotten her braces off in her IG story today. ;)

These 10 ladies from 2019 Nationals were tweeted as having entered the Aerial Challenge jump competition (Broadmoor World Arena in Colorado Springs on June 29, 2019):
Alysa Liu
Hanna Harrell
Sierra Venetta
Audrey Shin
Sarah Jung
Noelle Rosa
Alyssa Rich
Alena Budko
Kate Wang
Isabeau Levito

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I am not proficiant enough to judge....but how are Alysa's jumps technically?

aliona22

I am not proficiant enough to judge....but how are Alysa's jumps technically?

Not great... she pre-rotates her 3A and pick-in jumps, and has a wide swinging free leg on landings. She's very young and small though, things may improve as she grows and gets stronger.

AxelAnnie

Not great... she pre-rotates her 3A and pick-in jumps, and has a wide swinging free leg on landings. She's very young and small though, things may improve as she grows and gets stronger.
Thank you.

AxelAnnie

Thanks for that.

Wouldn't it be best to get the jumps to a cleaner state before adding rotations? Or, maybe her doubles are fully rotated, and this is just her trying to get the triples around? The pre-rotation seems (in general) to be a more difficult issue than an under rotation.

Tinami Amori

Thanks for that.

Wouldn't it be best to get the jumps to a cleaner state before adding rotations? Or, maybe her doubles are fully rotated, and this is just her trying to get the triples around? The pre-rotation seems (in general) to be a more difficult issue than an under rotation.
Her average 3A and the recent quad attempts (which she is landing) are as good as any other junior girl's who tried it in this past season.

Her 2A is VERY clean, she added 1 more rotation, to make it a 3A, and that's clean too... :lol:

(this is not at you AxelAnnie, but in general) I just don't see why people, when there is someone who can do something special, like very few others can, have to find fault in what he/she is doing..... It is not always about "helping Alysa's jumpts", it's some kind of "innate resentment" towards those who raise their heads about the rest.

Alysa lands her 3A clean and fine, quite often.... everyone misses a landing sometimes. Alysa's 3A is considered very stable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VQKZdBrAm0

Dobre

Oh Dear Lord...... did you check intermediates and novices too.

No, I didn't have to check anyone but Ting & Bradie. (I thought about checking Mariah too, but happily Rose Red did that for me). I checked Ting first because I remember writing a post about her early in the season and thinking she was pretty much an either/or skater. Either she rotates clean or she tends to fall.

Bradie's problem with URs this season, in comparison to Ting & I would guess in comparison to Mariah as well, was that Bradie was URing both parts of her combinations. Those added up fast & led to the two events with 4 URs and and the one with 5. You are correct that Bradie had a great record with cleaner jumps last season; but when she was in juniors, she struggled with URs. It would be interesting to know how much of her problem this season was new formatting and/or the new combination vs. how much was due to the new less-than-a-quarter-turn-short rule. She was definitely cleaner at season's end, which is probably reflective of changing the combo but must also be reflective of some other work. Though she got nailed in the LP at 4CCs and that event was relatively late.

I did not have enough free time;) to note which types of jumps Bradie was getting nailed on besides the loop. I did note that Ting's URs usually came on the flip in her LP, though she had LOTS of SPs without any and I noticed a flip on at least one of those SP protocols. (I remember that Mariah had issues with her lutz because I compared all of Ting's and Mariah's less-than clean jumps earlier this season. That was a while ago, though, and I don't remember many details. Just the more obvious patterns.

Last edited:

Jammers

Her average 3A and the recent quad attempts (which she is landing) are as good as any other junior girl's who tried it in this past season.

Her 2A is VERY clean, she added 1 more rotation, to make it a 3A, and that's clean too... :lol:

(this is not at you AxelAnnie, but in general) I just don't see why people, when there is someone who can do something special, like very few others can, have to find fault in what he/she is doing..... It is not always about "helping Alysa's jumpts", it's some kind of "innate resentment" towards those who raise their heads about the rest.

Alysa lands her 3A clean and fine, quite often.... everyone misses a landing sometimes. Alysa's 3A is considered very stable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VQKZdBrAm0
She really needs more speed going into her 3axel she almost comes to a standstill before jumping it. She will need more speed and power as she grows and can't rotate as fast as she does now or she will lose those jumps. I hope that is what they are working on as well as her overall skating skills.

natsulian

No, I didn't have to check anyone but Ting & Bradie. (I thought about checking Mariah too, but happily Rose Red did that for me). I checked Ting first because I remember writing a post about her early in the season and thinking she was pretty much an either/or skater. Either she rotates clean or she tends to fall.

Bradie's problem with URs this season, in comparison to Ting & I would guess in comparison to Mariah as well, was that Bradie was URing both parts of her combinations. Those added up fast & led to the two events with 4 URs and and the one with 5. You are correct that Bradie had a great record with cleaner jumps last season; but when she was in juniors, she struggled with URs. It would be interesting to know how much of her problem this season was new formatting and/or the new combination vs. how much was due to the new less-than-a-quarter-turn-short rule. She was definitely cleaner at season's end, which is probably reflective of changing the combo but must also be reflective of some other work. Though she got nailed in the LP at 4CCs and that event was relatively late.

I did not have enough free time;) to note which types of jumps Bradie was getting nailed on besides the loop. I did note that Ting's URs usually came on the flip in her LP, though she had LOTS of SPs without any and I noticed a flip on at least one of those SP protocols. (I remember that Mariah had issues with her lutz because I compared all of Ting's and Mariah's less-than clean jumps earlier this season. That was a while ago, though, and I don't remember many details. Just the more obvious patterns.
I believe Bradie's problem with under-rotations stemmed not only from the new rule, but primarily the mental game she played whenever the 3Lz-3Lo was involved. During Four Continents, although Bradie removed the 3Lz-3Lo in the Short, she kept it in the Free and after singling the 3Lo, her focus dissipated. Furthermore, Bradie is the kind of skater who performs best when the momentum is on her side and we saw perfect examples of how a single mistake could derail her entire program because she either loses the momentum or focus... or both. Bradie has the technical goods to nail the 3Lz-3Lo, but it's her mentality going into the jump that results in less than stellar performances. For example, despite executing the 3Lz-3Lo during her Free at Skate America, Bradie was dinged very harshly because all she thought about was that specific element and became stiff. I hope that Bradie manages to really get the 3Lz-3Lo down pact and that her other jumps also improve.

Ting is an all or nothing skater who blooms later in the season akin to Vincent Zhou. Furthermore, if one looks at Ting's jumps very closely, she lands on her legs without bending the knee. Thus, when Ting does not finish a rotation all the way, she falls. Case B for Ting is when her blade literally slides off the ice; Ting finishes the rotations in the air, her air position is not slanted, but her leg is as straight as a line and she falls. I'm not sure if that was the technique Vincent taught her, but it's something that she should really work on because whenever she SAVED her jumps it was because her knee was bent or she took her time with each element. Moreover, does anyone else notice that she wobbles and sometimes trips during her choreographic sequences? I feel like she really hates the toe-pick. Nevertheless, I'm confident Ting will correct such mistakes and find consistency because she has a HUGE amount of talent and potential just waiting to be tapped into.

Hanna Harrell in my opinion has the best jumps out of the US ladies currently. Although Hanna struggles with stamina in the latter half of the program, her jump technique enables her to save jumps that other skaters would have fallen flat on. Additionally, her 3Lz-3T and 2A-3T are GORGEOUS... the height, the distance, and the arms-over-the-head for the former combo are just insane. I really hope she can add a triple axel or quad-toe-loop to her repertoire this season.

Alysa actually has decent technique and really... my only gripe is her weird 3A and 2A technique, but if it works for her then it works for her. Alysa's free leg may come out of the circle a little bit, but it's nothing compared to the mule kick some novice and junior girls her age do. If you want to watch a skater whose technique has improved by light years, watch Alysa's program one or two years ago and compare it to her now... you'd never think she could do the things she does today. I think Alysa requires more speed going into her jumps, needs to be less dependent on her rotations, and needs to work on her edges. She's such a sweetheart and I hope for great things for her.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Hanna's the one I'm most excited about.

I'm already sad about the skaters who will inevitably be left off the 2022 team.

Higher placements internationally would be great, but I'm really excited by this new/newish generation who is really embracing IJS.

Dobre

Although Hanna struggles with stamina in the latter half of the program, her jump technique enables her to save jumps that other skaters would have fallen flat on.

I think you've seen a different array of Hanna's performances than I have.

Dobre

Well, I appreciate the attempt; but the pdfs for the judges scores don't work for me. They haven't for months. (I've gotten a variety of messages when I try to open them, from warnings that the site is unsafe to the current one that says, "The connection was reset, etc." I haven't had this issue with any of the other events all season so it doesn't make sense. Will go try a different browser.

ETA: Nope. This time the message says "The server dropped the connection." (Their server? Because why would my server only drop the connection for PDFs from this one event?) Anyway, happily Sylvia's direct links to the ladies' protocols work, though I guess I will have to ask for help again the next time there is a random question involving the other disciplines.

Last edited:

natsulian

I think you've seen a different array of Hanna's performances than I have.
Based on Nationals and Junior Worlds, which were the competitions Hanna competed in fully healed, you can see how she starts to lose steam. Hanna stepped out of a double axel she could do in her sleep, nearly fell on a 3F, and stepped out again. Hanna was in pristine condition during Nationals, but she still wobbled a bit during the second half. If you look at her blade closely, it’s the same mistake Ting usually has where her blade is literally sliding off the ice on a weird axis, but somehow, Hanna’s able to save it. I could be wrong and Hanna was just a little bit more nervous than usual, but that was the vibe I got.

J

Jeschke

Cross-Posting from another thread:
Ashley Lin supposedly skates for China now.
Is this confirmed? She did skate still for the US last season in autumn, so GP would not be doable, even with release, or?
(Sorry if this has been answered a dozen times, I never visit this thread and have no clue :saint:)

Sylvia

TBD
Is this confirmed? She did skate still for the US last season in autumn, so GP would not be doable, even with release, or?
@Jeschke, when Ashley Lin was not included in USFS' initial 2019-20 International Selection Pool in early April, that was the first clue that she might be switching. There has been no official announcement of her release yet (that I know of) by China, USFS or Lin herself, but I happened to notice her coach(es) included #teamchina in an IG post/clip about her 2 weeks ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxr9748H8ed/
I know Lin competed at the Skate Dallas club competition in late April, still representing Dallas FSC. She has competed in a total of 5 internationals (3 junior, 2 senior) for the USA: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00101153.htm
Her highest finish was 4th at her last international at CS Inge Solar Memorial/Alpen Trophy, which ended on November 15, 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information