U.S. Ladies [#23]: Triple Axels? What a Novice Idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I am really intrigued about Gracie's come back. I thought I read somewhere that she didn't show any triples at Champs Camp, so I am a little surprised she still planning to go to a cup of Russia. If she doesn't go to cup of Russia, then she can't go to Nationals - is that correct?

kalle

I loved Bradies SP and she look damn sharp out there at this point of the season. The LP although technically very good felt a bit flat for me. It was a bit too much going on and it did not feel very "natural" to me. I hope she don't feel she "must" be overly unique or a Kostner copy at this point of her career. She has all the good to medal at Worlds and it is such pleasure to see an American lady which seems to have her feet firmly on the ground and focus on herself and her goals. I still remember that sad comment Gracie made a few years ago where she said she felt that she a had let America down (or somewhere down those lines)...I believe skaters should first and foremost skate for themselves!

Willin

@Coco Back in July/early August someone reported that she was working on triples and getting some of them back. I would assume that she can land at least a few of her triples consistently by now, but that she wanted to look strong and clean at Champ's Camp and therefore went with all doubles. She still has time before CoR, so she'll probably have some triples in the program by then. I'm not expecting to see a 3Lz or 3-3 combo, but I think she'll be able to put out something respectable.

Cleo1782

I am really intrigued about Gracie's come back. I thought I read somewhere that she didn't show any triples at Champs Camp, so I am a little surprised she still planning to go to a cup of Russia. If she doesn't go to cup of Russia, then she can't go to Nationals - is that correct?

If she registers I am pretty sure she gets a bye via her team medal at the Olympics. We had this discussion last year and the rules state former Olympic medalists are eligible for byes. See Sasha in 2010.

Sylvia

TBD
From USFS' Rulebook:

2515 For all championship (senior) events, the following competitors will receive an automatic invitation to the same event; however, any such competitor or couple must enter to compete through the online registration process as described in rule 2401 and by the deadline of Sept. 1. Failure to do so will result in the competitor(s) not being entered nor allowed to compete at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships for the current season.
A. A competitor or couple placing in the top five at last year’s U.S. Figure Skating Championships;
B. A competitor or couple who won a medal at the most recent Olympic Winter Games;
C. A competitor or couple who won a medal at the most recent World Championships.

She [Gracie] still has time before CoR
8 weeks to Rostelecom Cup... hopefully her training is going well.

Tinami Amori

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Bradie's role model is "Iron Man" and Starr's role model is "Black Panther".... :shuffle:

:D Would it be a tall order to ask these girls to look at biographies of Nobel Prize winners in science, medicine and literature?

Please clarify why Starr’s choice is :shuffle: worthy?

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
:shuffle: is for both girls' "role model" choices...... if you can't figure it out from the next line.... :lol:
They’re both fictional characters though...

If that’s you meant to say then cool, but teens will lol up who whatever or whomever they want.

Tinami Amori

Which they might not be able to relate to. I mean the world AA Women’s gymnastics champion looks up to Harry Potter.
Harry Potter....:rolleyes:

It is up to the adults and educators to make young people (over certain age, 10? years of age) "relate" to people who go through educational process, life struggles and hard work to make true contributions to societies, instead of anime/fictional characters.

A place to start is to hang portraits of scientist, doctors, writers, etc... in the school corridors, instead of ball players for example.. Maybe a list of famous American writers is a good start... it's done in other places.
http://www.pavelin.ru/images/stories/obloskapisateli33.jpg

Willin

@Tinami Amori It could also be that the interviewer specifically asked them what superheroes they like the most so that scientists or other real people weren't on the table. That question or similar variations are pretty popular to ask young people - I can't recall anyone but someone famous for STEM fields being asked about STEM role models. The only real people they ask athletes about are other athletes.

And, for the record, schools here hang far more pictures of famous scientists and almost none of athletes. At both the universities I attended it was the scientists that specifically worked at those institutions (athletes were pictured in the athletic buildings but not elsewhere). In my elementary schools they posted pictures of politicians, scientists, and musicians that looked quite a bit like the ones you liked to. One classroom had every front page headline for the school year hung up along with pictures of those newsmakers who were good role models. In middle and high school those pictures didn't really exist, but there would be copious displays, presentations, and discussions about famous scientists and authors depending on the subject.

What I'm saying is that you're entirely wrong: these two could easily name real life role models that they look up to. They just weren't asked about real life role models. If you want to know, maybe you should ask them.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I loved Bradies SP and she look damn sharp out there at this point of the season. The LP although technically very good felt a bit flat for me. It was a bit too much going on and it did not feel very "natural" to me. I hope she don't feel she "must" be overly unique or a Kostner copy at this point of her career. She has all the good to medal at Worlds and it is such pleasure to see an American lady which seems to have her feet firmly on the ground and focus on herself and her goals. I still remember that sad comment Gracie made a few years ago where she said she felt that she a had let America down (or somewhere down those lines)...I believe skaters should first and foremost skate for themselves!
I agree. SP is good, LP is very flat and personally boring but I think it will get better. The music edit hopefully will too...

binbinwinwin

People are inspired by everything and can have more than one role model, you can idolize a fictional superhero and a Nobel prize winner. Bradie was making a joke about her pose and Starr was inspired by a cultural phenomenon, there's nothing wrong with that. What are they supposed to do? Do a program interpreting discovering the double helix shape and say that their idol is Rosalind Franklin? Oh wait, she is not a Nobel Prize winner, so I guess she's not worthy.

Anyway, from inside the arena I enjoyed the music Starr is using for her LP however I don't think she has the stamina for an 8 triple program as she seemed a bit winded by the 2nd half of her program. It's great that at a young age she already knows how to perform but her skating in general was very choppy. I would say maybe work on a 7 triple program with a 3A (since they seem to really want this) and bring a little more focus to other aspects of her skating.

Bradie I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would, her ice coverage and speed are not bad overall, despite using 3 different versions of R&J the program seemed to flow logically. I think maybe her team should re-think the off shoulder dress, her main weakness is that her upper body is stiff and posture is not great, I feel like it brings a little attention to that area. She was in the audience on Saturday watched all of the men's competition. Looking forward to her continued improvement.

Tinami Amori

And, for the record, schools here hang far more pictures of famous scientists and almost none of athletes. At both the universities I attended it was the scientists that specifically worked at those institutions (athletes were pictured in the athletic buildings but not elsewhere).[/B] In my elementary schools they posted pictures of politicians, scientists, and musicians that looked quite a bit like the ones you liked to. One classroom had every front page headline for the school year hung up along with pictures of those newsmakers who were good role models. In middle and high school those pictures didn't really exist, but there would be copious displays, presentations, and discussions about famous scientists and authors depending on the subject.
Oh, i am glad to hear it (it was not so in my school/uni days).

Last edited:

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
From USFS' Rulebook:

2515 For all championship (senior) events, the following competitors will receive an automatic invitation to the same event; however, any such competitor or couple must enter to compete through the online registration process as described in rule 2401 and by the deadline of Sept. 1. Failure to do so will result in the competitor(s) not being entered nor allowed to compete at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships for the current season.
A. A competitor or couple placing in the top five at last year’s U.S. Figure Skating Championships;
B. A competitor or couple who won a medal at the most recent Olympic Winter Games;
C. A competitor or couple who won a medal at the most recent World Championships.

8 weeks to Rostelecom Cup... hopefully her training is going well.

Thank you @Sylvia, but that begs the question: How then does Gracie even get a bye? She does not qualify at all given these three criteria. Can you explain that?

Last edited:

Debbie S

Thank you @Sylvia, but that begs the question: How then does Gracie even get a bye? She does not qualify at all given these three criteria. Can you explain that?
As stated upthread, skaters receive a bye through Sectionals if they have an int'l assignment that is within 7 days (10 days if in Asia) of Sectionals, so CoR would qualify. All skaters who receive a fall int'l assignment, regardless of timing, receive a bye through their Regional. If Gracie's GP were more than 1 week before Sectionals, it is possible that she would have to compete at Easterns.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
But if she withdraws from COR prior to the start of the competition, the bye would go byebye. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I'm looking forward to seeing her on the ice again!!!

WillyElliot

Thanks, so it was strategic planning on USFS's part to put her in an event that would conflict with Sectionals so she'd make it to Nationals even if her skating might not have gotten her out of Regionals?

Ena Grins

It is up to the adults and educators to make young people (over certain age, 10? years of age) "relate" to people who go through educational process, life struggles and hard work to make true contributions to societies, instead of anime/fictional characters.

A place to start is to hang portraits of scientist, doctors, writers, etc... in the school corridors, instead of ball players for example.. Maybe a list of famous American writers is a good start... it's done in other places.

Good gravy, I only stalk a few threads on here, but based on those it's clear that you'll criticize absolutely anybody for absolutely any reason, won't you? Also, I'm now 100% sure that you base most of your criticisms on hardly any evidence, as you've definitely never been inside an American school.

Moving on from the troll! I liked Bradie's SP a lot. It's a good fit for her and showcases improved power and flow. I imagine she's still working hard on those. I'm not sold on her FS yet but I'm interested in seeing how it grows as her flow and extension improve.

Tinami Amori

Good gravy, I only stalk a few threads on here, but based on those it's clear that you'll criticize absolutely anybody for absolutely any reason, won't you?
I like Bradie..and her skating, and her FS.. hopefully she wins a few major events, and goes to Yale or Harvard and her role model will be Madame Curie..:p

WillyElliot

As stated upthread, skaters receive a bye through Sectionals if they have an int'l assignment that is within 7 days (10 days if in Asia) of Sectionals, so CoR would qualify. All skaters who receive a fall int'l assignment, regardless of timing, receive a bye through their Regional. If Gracie's GP were more than 1 week before Sectionals, it is possible that she would have to compete at Easterns.

Thanks, so basically @Sylvia posted those three criteria that had absolutely nothing to do with Gracie Gold's comeback. Gracie just happened to luck into an international assignment that conflicted with Sectionals so she has a free pass to Nationals. Got it.

Frida80

Thanks, so basically @Sylvia posted those three criteria that had absolutely nothing to do with Gracie Gold's comeback. Gracie just happened to luck into an international assignment that conflicted with Sectionals so she has a free pass to Nationals. Got it.

That was no luck. The GP is a larger political game when it comes to slots, the did a little dealing in the background to ensure she got a conflicting spot. If she hadn’t, She’s just be assigned CS that interferes likes Angela and Courtney were last season. It’s no coincidence that both Angela and Courtney have conflicting spots as well. It’s been happening that way for years.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Harry Potter....:rolleyes:

Like your avatar, you mean?

kwanatic

Bradie looks very strong for so early in the season. I'm not sold on her programs yet but they are improvements over last year's and it's clear she's putting the effort in to try to develop her style. I still say she needs a month with Lori to really help her refine her movement...still rather stiff in the arms and her posture isn't great. Still, I'm thoroughly impressed with her. She's going for it this year. Gotta love that.

Starr has the goods but she definitely needs work. As she gets winded you see her posture start to suffer big time. Shoulders high and hunched over...it's not a pretty line. She also needs to work on her skating skills; lots of basic crossovers. Spins are wonderful and I admire her gutsy attempt at the 3A even though I think they should scrap that until she gets it a bit closer to being around. Not a terrible start though.

Even though she's not American I just want to say yay for Mae winning bronze. With Starr in the field this is the first time in 20+ years of watching the sport I can ever recall there being two black women competing in the same international event. Bit of a proud moment for me! :cheer2:

oleada

Even though she's not American I just want to say yay for Mae winning bronze. With Starr in the field this is the first time in 20+ years of watching the sport I can ever recall there being two black women competing in the same international event. Bit of a proud moment for me! :cheer2:

Not in singles but don’t forget Vanessa James! So 3 Black women at this competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information