U.S. Ladies [#20]: In a Week, Maybe Two, They'll Make You a Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

shady82

This weekend made me a fan of Bradie. Despite all the criticisms that her programs are made for primary school students (which is kinda unwarranted, TBH), she has excellent jump technique, good basic skating, nice lines, and neat, tidy presentation.

I'm rooting for Bradie, Mirai, and Mariah for the team, which is not the most likely combination, but is certainly feasible.

mag

So Bradie is scheduled to compete at Golden Spin next week. Will she go? It will be interesting to see how she handles the increased interest in her. So far she seems level headed so hopefully she just takes in all in stride. I am hoping there will be a good live stream. This could be a very interesting event!

Marco

A lot of what Karen achieved last season (1st at Nationals, 4th at Worlds) would be quickly forgotten with the way she skated / placed at the GPs this season. Golden Spin is very much her last chance to get some momentum back. [Same for Ashley, but she has had a longer history on top so her achievements would not be so easily forgotten even though the criteria do not explicitly recognize]

I am still not a fan of Bradie's skating but her consistency is undeniable. If she aces Golden Spin (esp above Karen), the momentum for her at Nationals would be strong. Then again she hasn't really been in this position before - and who knows how she would handle. Karen herself isn't handling it very well, for example.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Karen landed 4 cleanish triples and 2 2axels in her FS, and a couple rough jumps. Several others there skated just about perfectly. All things considered, not that bad. I doubt anyone was expecting much more given all the changes...Bradie however, is a total rock so far this season. Like those jumps don't even look hard, she has them, and they don't fail her. I was nervous for her at SA just because it was one of her biggest comps to date, but there really was no need to be. I hope she can finish out this season as she's been doing, because every skater as good as her deserves at least one Cinderella year. Sorry, cheesy. But talk about the perfect storm of events with the problems going on with Karen, Gracie, and Ashley. Her timing is unreal.

Last edited:

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I think Chen should withdraw from Golden Spin. Didn't USFS give a last-ditch Golden Spin assignment to Gold last year? Look how well that turned out. Chen needs time to make these programs comfortable more than she needs another international assignment. If she goes to nationals and has a skate like last year's nationals, the judges should reward her regardless of her so-so season thus far.

zigzig

Bradie's done a great job of cleaning up her jumps. I used to think of her as carrot city but she's really improved the spring and elevation of her triples.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! šŸ˜
Bradie is like a GG or Polina. Maybe equal parts both. She's in. (And prob US Champ) I say skip GS but do 4CC

I think if Ash can heal enough by Jan it will be her and Mirai.

Side note: I don't like how Tara contradicted herself in her commentary. First I cracked when she said the vintage program plays well to an audience. But the judges have seen it. Three times. LOLLLL the way she said 3 times is like how catty girls talk about another girl in stuff like Mean Girls.

OK, as Ash was starting her program she says ... she left practice early and I didn't see her fully rotate any jumps.

30 seconds after that when Ash stops she says... I didn't see this coming. She was nailing all her jumps today. Drilling. Drilling. I didn't see anything wrong...

And I also know her job is to provide commentary... but Tara injured herself completely out by 16. Ash is a decade older and still doing hard stuff.

Sounds like Tara may not like Ash, and thats fine, but just provide commentary. logical.

But I still keep your TV Guide cover from 98 girl! Like a true hoarder!

Last edited:

Willin

I mean, considering Ashley's reputation (or at least her personality's reputation) from around when Tara was mentoring her, I could understand why Tara doesn't like her. I could also see how that opinion hasn't changed. While Ashley seems to have changed in the way she says things and interacts with others, she's still just as opinionated as ever - not that that's a bad thing, just that it probably makes it seem like she's changed less than she has.

Marco

Karen landed 4 cleanish triples and 2 2axels in her FS, and a couple rough jumps. Several others there skated just about perfectly. All things considered, not that bad. I doubt anyone was expecting much more given all the changes...

I don't think Karen's problem was the programs though. Her jumps were inconsistent at different stages of last season too (GPs and 4CCs and WTT, etc) so it couldn't have been the programs' fault. I think it's more to do with the added pressure of being the top US lady.

Bradie however, is a total rock so far this season. Like those jumps don't even look hard, she has them, and they don't fail her. I was nervous for her at SA just because it was one of her biggest comps to date, but there really was no need to be. I hope she can finish out this season as she's been doing, because every skater as good as her deserves at least one Cinderella year. Sorry, cheesy. But talk about the perfect storm of events with the problems going on with Karen, Gracie, and Ashley. Her timing is unreal.

The word "rock" reminds of Rachael Flatt and not in a good way. :scream:

Carolla5501

Bradie is like a GG or Polina. Maybe equal parts both. She's in. (And prob US Champ) I say skip GS but do 4CC

I think if Ash can heal enough by Jan it will be her and Mirai.

Side note: I don't like how Tara contradicted herself in her commentary. First I cracked when she said the vintage program plays well to an audience. But the judges have seen it. Three times. LOLLLL the way she said 3 times is like how catty girls talk about another girl in stuff like Mean Girls.

OK, as Ash was starting her programs she says ... she left practice early and I didn't see her fully rotate any jumps.

30 seconds after that when Ash stops she says... I didn't see this coming. She was nailing all her jumps today. Drilling. Drilling. I didn't see anything wrong...

And I also know her job is to provide commentary... but Tara injured herself completely out by 16. Ash is a decade older and still doing hard stuff.

Sounds like Tara may not like Ash, and thats fine, but just provide commentary. logical.

But I still keep your TV Guide cover from 98 girl! Like a true hoarder!

Tara honestly seems clueless. I guess someone is telling her stuff and she's just babbling away. When she first started this job she seemed to be trying now she's decided to go the Weir route, "look cute" and babble!

I mean, considering Ashley's reputation (or at least her personality's reputation) from around when Tara was mentoring her, I could understand why Tara doesn't like her. I could also see how that opinion hasn't changed. While Ashley seems to have changed in the way she says things and interacts with others, she's still just as opinionated as ever - not that that's a bad thing, just that it probably makes it seem like she's changed less than she has.

But Tara's job is to be professional, she needs to pull on her big girl pants and quit basing her commentating on "I don't like them personally"

Sylvia

TBD
From the end of IN's Skate America Ladies FS article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/11/26/262424758
Tennell and Chen are scheduled to compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb in Croatia next week. While Chen and her coach, Tammy Gambill, are anxious to get her programs out one more time before the U.S. championships, Myers sounded less sure that Tennell would make the trip.

"We will take it day by day and see what it brings," she said.
I was encouraged by Karen's FS performance in Lake Placid and I think she could benefit from one more competition before Nationals (she competed at Golden Spin last year and placed 7th). I don't think Bradie needs another competition before Nationals. Starr Andrews is also going to Golden Spin (her ISU Challenger debut).

teacakes

I get the whole ~momentum thing with Bradie, but I think she could do with the standing points if her goal is the Olympics, no? Also, getting in front of an international panel that's not in the US would be helpful too, right? (Yes, I'm aware she went to Lombardia at the start of the season).

Seerek

Years turn into weeks. How quick they pass
And all the stars that are gonna be
Are training hard and skating fast.

I've got lots of friends in San Jose
Do you know the way to San Jose?
Can't wait to get back to San Jose!

:fan:

The funny thing with this quote above is that the only Burt B. program I recall in at least the past 25-30 years was Ivett Toth (not an American) a couple seasons ago.

Vagabond

There's a terrific one-off Exhibition Program number just waiting for someone to make use of it. Anthony Ponomorenko, Polina Edmunds, and Karen Chen would be particularly appropriate if given the chance.

Last edited:

giselle23

I get the whole ~momentum thing with Bradie, but I think she could do with the standing points if her goal is the Olympics, no? Also, getting in front of an international panel that's not in the US would be helpful too, right? (Yes, I'm aware she went to Lombardia at the start of the season).

Who else is going to be at Golden Spin? I know Karen is, but how is the rest of the field? My prediction is, she won't go.
Why risk her current momentum? But on the other hand, it would help her case a lot if she had another good international outing. I think it is way too soon to predict that Bradie will win or even medal at Nationals. She lacks even the experience of Mariah Bell last year. One fall and her PCS will fall, too.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Would Bradie be allowed to count points from a second Challenger event?

Sylvia

TBD
I get the whole ~momentum thing with Bradie, but I think she could do with the standing points if her goal is the Olympics, no?
Would Bradie be allowed to count points from a second Challenger event?
Bradie is currently #38 in the ISU World Standings after getting 324 WS points for her Skate America 3rd place finish. She already has 250 points for winning the Philadelphia Summer International (Senior B) in early August and 219 points for 4th place at her first ISU Challenger, Lombardia Trophy, in September. If she elects to go to Golden Spin, she would need to place at least 1st through 3rd (300 / 270 / 243) in order to replace her 219 points from Lombardia with a higher total because only 2 "Selected International Competition" boxes can be filled in one season.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Who else is going to be at Golden Spin? I know Karen is, but how is the rest of the field?

Russia is sending Tuktamysheva, Konstantinova, and Fedichkina. Japanese skaters will not be there.

But on the other hand, it would help her case a lot if she had another good international outing. I think it is way too soon to predict that Bradie will win or even medal at Nationals. She lacks even the experience of Mariah Bell last year.

At this point last year, Bell had been to two GPs, seven senior Bs, and 3 U.S. senior championships. Tennell has had 1 GP, 3 senior Bs, 2 Junior World Championships, and 2 U.S. senior championships. While not quite as many competitions as Bell, Tennell's Junior World experience is notable since incredible skaters are there, spots are on the line, the U.S. only had two entrants so more pressure on each lady to perform, etc.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
So Brady could add 24 to 81 more points to her current 1424 WS points.

That's not going to get her in the top 12 for the SP.

Frida80

There is only one way to massively improve her WR and USFS will never do it. That's go to 4CC and place. She'd gain over 600 points for placing at least third. But it's far too close to th Olympics. If she's named to the team, they will want her for the TE. It's way to close.

concorde

Bradie team used a lot of caution. I doubt they will let her perform at Golden Spin. Lots of risk with minimal gain.

bardtoob

Hmmm . . . The perceived top US Ladies are ISU World Standings Ranked:

Rank _ Points _ Skater:

6 2969 Mirai Nagasu
8 2806 Ashley Wagner
10 2729 Karen Chen
20 2062 Mariah Bell
25 1892 Gracie Gold :fragile:
26 1843 Courtney Hicks
38 1424 Bradie Tennell
58 998 Angela Wang
68 840 Amber Glenn
87 622 Caroline Zhang

http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsladies.htm

As of now, Mirai is guaranteed to be in the final flight of Olympic SP.

Given how WS influences skating order at the Olympics, I wonder if US Figure Skating would require 4CC attendance although some skater, like Ashley, routinely decline to go.

olympic

I want to sit our US ladies down and make them watch this on a loop for motivation: https://youtu.be/LinqPGZPqUw

The U.S. didn't have a prayer against the GDR machine, but anything is possible with passion, anger and a determination to never let go. I hope our ladies continue to develop that mindset

The video is a bit long but one of the most amazing sports events IMO

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Given how WS influences skating order at the Olympics, I wonder if US Figure Skating would require 4CC attendance
It is my understanding that none of the 2018 Olympic team members will compete at 4CC (this also has been USFS' policy in past Olympic seasons).

I noticed the ISU Season Best total scores list has not yet added Tallinn Trophy (even though SP & FS scores for Tallinn are listed) so I've updated Zhang's ranking/score below:

12) 204.10 Bradie TENNELL USA ISU GP Skate America 2017, 3rd
22) 194.46 Mirai NAGASU USA ISU GP NHK Trophy 2017, 4th
29) 188.56 Mariah BELL USA ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2017, 6th
33) 183.94 Ashley WAGNER USA ISU GP Skate Canada International 2017, 3rd
34) 183.85 Angela WANG USA ISU CS Finlandia Trophy 2017, 4th
36) 182.80 Karen CHEN USA ISU GP Skate America 2017, 8th
37) 182.57 Courtney HICKS USA ISU GP Skate Canada International 2017, 4th
45) 172.62 Emmy MA USA ISU JGP Riga Cup 2017, 3rd (SR in U.S.)
49) 170.82 Caroline ZHANG USA ISU CS Tallinn Trophy 2017, 4th

FS scores of 100+:
12) 137.09 Bradie TENNELL USA ISU GP Skate America 2017
20) 129.29 Mirai NAGASU USA ISU GP NHK Trophy 2017
28) 124.71 Mariah BELL USA ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2017
31) 123.27 Karen CHEN USA ISU GP Skate America 2017
32) 122.37 Ashley WAGNER USA ISU GP Skate Canada International 2017
36) 121.31 Angela WANG USA ISU CS Finlandia Trophy 2017
38) 118.51 Courtney HICKS USA ISU GP Skate Canada International 2017
46) 114.47 Caroline ZHANG USA ISU CS Tallinn Trophy 2017
50) 112.70 Emmy MA USA ISU JGP Riga Cup 2017 (SR in U.S.)
60) 107.15 Kaitlyn NGUYEN USA ISU JGP Brisbane 2017 (SR in U.S.)
64) 106.66 Ashley LIN USA ISU JGP Riga Cup 2017 (SR in U.S.)
75) 101.46 Polina EDMUNDS USA ISU GP Internationaux de France 2017

SP scores of 59+:
16) 67.01 Bradie TENNELL USA ISU GP Skate America 2017
25) 66.18 Karen CHEN USA ISU CS US Internat. FS Classic 2017
29) 65.17 Mirai NAGASU USA ISU GP NHK Trophy 2017
33) 64.12 Ashley WAGNER USA ISU GP Skate America 2017
34) 64.06 Courtney HICKS USA ISU GP Skate Canada International 2017
37) 63.85 Mariah BELL USA ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2017
41) 62.54 Angela WANG USA ISU CS Finlandia Trophy 2017
46) 59.93 Starr ANDREWS USA ISU JGP Cup of Austria 2017 (SR in U.S.)
47) 59.92 Emmy MA USA ISU JGP Riga Cup 2017 (SR in U.S.)
48) 59.61 Tessa HONG USA ISU JGP Minsk Arena Cup 2017 (SR in U.S.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information