U.S. Ice Dance 2022-23 news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
Yes, @airgelaal posted this link on July 23 in the previous U.S. Dance news thread:
UFSF [UKR federation] announced that they [Zoe Larson/Andrii Kapran] will represent Ukraine
ETA #2 that Larson/Kapran are listed as subs for UKR in JGP #2: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...22-23-announcement.109766/page-2#post-6280409
Since it looks like the U.S. won’t use all its JGP spots (based on the number of age-eligible teams in ISP), I hope they are planning to send these younger teams to Advanced Novice internationals.
Olivia Ilin & Dylan Cain had their Team USA debut at the 2022 Bavarian Open after Nationals (they placed 4th in Adv. Novice) and it's a good sign that both the 2023 Bavarian Open and Egna Dance Trophy are listed on USFS' International Assignments page.

ETA:

ICYMI, Eva Pate/Logan Bye's LPIDI programs (filmed from the stands) were posted in their fan thread:
RD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVAbzQceklM
FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ma9FkcoLz0

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Interesting, the announcer pronounced Emilea like Amelia. I always thought it was pronounced like Emily.

Dobre

Since it looks like the U.S. won’t use all its JGP spots (based on the number of age-eligible teams in ISP), I hope they are planning to send these younger teams to Advanced Novice internationals.
Ilin & Cain and Epps & Gilman are in USFS's team D envelope. I'd think that/their finishes from last season + their scores this summer would make Advanced Novice assignments very plausible. Li & Le Coq are also in the same envelope.

Sylvia

TBD
Interesting, the announcer pronounced Emilea like Amelia. I always thought it was pronounced like Emily.
IDC's Daphne said in This Week in Skating's special Lake Placid podcast episode that the proper pronunciation of Emilea Zingas' first name sounds like Emma-LEI-a. :)

Jenna Hauer & Benjamin Starr will make their JGP in Ostrava CZE - link to their updated ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00113853.htm

ISU bios also are updated for the first 2 U.S. junior teams debuting in Courchevel FRA:
The Peals: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00111717.htm
Pham/Rogers: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00113850.htm

ice coverage

My rough transcription of how Emilea pronounces her name would be: "em-ma-LEE-uh"

IDC's Daphne said in This Week in Skating's special Lake Placid podcast episode that the proper pronunciation of Emilea Zingas' first name sounds like Emma-LEI-a. :) ...

I have heard Emilea pronounce it in person both a few weeks ago and a few years ago.
I am a big fan of Daphne ❤️, but I would swear that I heard Emilea pronounce the third syllable as LEE.

Sylvia

TBD
Thank to @sap5 for posting this news story in the Lake Placid Dance competition thread in Kiss & Cry - featuring coaches Charlie White and Madison Hubbell :):

The sports reporter also spoke with Lorraine McNamara & Anton Spiridonov in Lake Placid:

Also "Why go to the beach when you can ice dance? The professionals [Hubbell, White & M/S] say why": https://twitter.com/EricMKerr/status/1553017500606074880

Last edited:

Bigbird

Was

Was curious about Z/K. She has a ways to go to be a dancer in her partner’s league.
I really liked what I saw. They are much more interesting than say S/K when they just begun. I like her range attack and extension. They are not the soup yet and dare I say it they are not Russian. They have time. Good on them.

Dobre

I think it's a step up for McNamara & Spiridinov from last year's Phantom program.

The arm movements at the very end, while at a dead halt, have to go.

hlp728

The LaLa Land FD music and choreography for B/S is kind of underwhelming. They need to try something more dynamic musical wise to help them elevate their performance skills. Instead of LaLa Land, B/S could use other music from the composers Pasek & Paul like the musical Dog Fight. If they want a musical love story, there’s The Next Five Years, Sunday In the Park with George (Gyllenhaal and Ashford version), and Alice by Heart that are much better musically than LaLa Land. I feel like they should try something a little different for ice dance like Newsies, Something Rotten (Welcome to the Renaissance is such a fun song from this musical), or 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (someone please skate to this musical) to stick out from other U.S. teams.

Jayar

The LaLa Land FD music and choreography for B/S is kind of underwhelming. They need to try something more dynamic musical wise to help them elevate their performance skills. Instead of LaLa Land, B/S could use other music from the composers Pasek & Paul like the musical Dog Fight. If they want a musical love story, there’s The Next Five Years, Sunday In the Park with George (Gyllenhaal and Ashford version), and Alice by Heart that are much better musically than LaLa Land. I feel like they should try something a little different for ice dance like Newsies, Something Rotten (Welcome to the Renaissance is such a fun song from this musical), or 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (someone please skate to this musical) to stick out from other U.S. teams.
Sounds like you have a list of music you want to see performed on ice. But I have to disagree with you-- there is absolutely nothing from Putnam that could ever be translated to a competitive program. I might direct you to Hadestown, that is chock full of music that could be good for pairs or dance. I must admit, however, that Dogfight is an interesting possibility.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Emilea Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik look beautiful together! Their unison and matching lines are breathtaking! You would never know that they have only been together for a few months!
Definitely. Her steps and turns were all over the place, but I was still really impressed. There’s alot of potential there. Aside from Wolfkostin & Chen, I enjoyed them more than the others.

layman

I like the partnering and connection that I see between Bratti and Somerville. I just think she needs to work on her posture and extension to match his.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Emilea Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik look beautiful together! Their unison and matching lines are breathtaking! You would never know that they have only been together for a few months!
I wouldn't go that far because it looked fairly obvious that Zingas is new to dance, particularly in the cautious way they approached lifts and some of her footwork. BUT I do think their body shapes match nicely and Zingas has excellent carriage. There's great potential here, and I think they're a bit lucky that they can't compete internationally yet because that will give them more time to develop together and not rush.

I loved Wolkstokin and Chen's dances. I like the use of the authentic Samba-roll(s) in the RD.

I really liked Wolfkostin/Chen's RD, too. Very credible Latin movement and I also appreciated that Chen was an equal performer, not fading into the background.

I didn't really like Bratti/Somerville's RD, didn't feel like they captured the Latin feel. The FD felt more like their style with a nice lilting quality, but a lot more polish needed. Hopefully, they just need more time and this isn't a sophomore slump.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I could not watch to the end. I really wanted to but I wish more teams would break free from the last quad. It's getting harder to watch.
Theme aside, McN/S showed the best control of their movement and looked more polished than the other teams here in the FD. Well-deserved victory. His twizzles are still a problem, though. :p

AYS

🌻
I loved Wolkstokin and Chen's dances. I like the use of the authentic Samba-roll(s) in the RD. I love the quality of the dancing in their FD and am puzzled why they were scored so low in the FD portion of the event.
They lost a fair amount of GOE in the final few elements, lifts and esp the choreo sequences relative to what the teams above them scored on those. It might just be a product of the program not having enough mileage on it yet, or maybe they need to iron out some details.

I agree, they're both really good programs.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I enjoyed it overall but thought many of the hand/arm movements were way too similar to Green/Parsons’ modern dance movements from their FD last season.
It definitely looked like they were trying to do something similiar and maybe not as effective, but I liked the dance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information