U.S. Ice Dance 2021-22 season news & updates

dancing_on_ice

Igor and Marina were always better together even if Marina did some unforgivable things towards him, as is her M.O. To be fair, I think he wanted to start training junior/younger teams without her first, and it may have triggered Marina's impulses. Canton ice rink certainly lost everything with regard to ice dance, though.
Well Charlie, Tanith, and Greg's new ice dance academy is headquartered at the Arctic Edge in Canton, so perhaps Canton will be getting a renaissance in the next quad :)

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Caroline Green is headed for George Washington University, according to her Instagram stories. She's also put GWU '26 in her bio. Fortunately, that's not far from her training base!

litenkyckling

Caroline Green is headed for George Washington University, according to her Instagram stories. She's also put GWU '26 in her bio. Fortunately, that's not far from her training base!

I guess thats one team we can pretty guarantee much won't make the move to MIDA then

mtnskater

That’s great to hear! I’m a GWU alumni and highly recommend it 👩‍🎓 Though it would be interesting to see what IAM could do with G&P.

Wyliefan

I'm not so sure. I don't think IAM could come up with a program as unique and creative as Green and Parsons's free dance from this season. They have come up with some good ones, but with a lot of their teams it seems to be "keep throwing ideas at them until something works."

skatfan

I'm not so sure. I don't think IAM could come up with a program as unique and creative as Green and Parsons's free dance from this season. They have come up with some good ones, but with a lot of their teams it seems to be "keep throwing ideas at them until something works."
I agree. They are growing a lot each season with their current team - no need to move at this point

mtnskater

The only thing is I worry that Wheaton doesn’t always do a great job of finishing their teams. Caroline could improve posture, stretch and line/toe point. They would be so devine if she could match Michael in that regard. Wheaton seems to do a better job with their men than women. IAM is exceptional with getting big improvements in that department. Including the costuming and the look, which is important in ice dance. I’m sure glad Chock and Bates joined IAM. I loved Green and Parson’s free dance this year. Hopefully they can continue with the creativity while improving the finishing.

sap5

Sometimes that’s what you need to do. Most ice dance teams take years and years to develop, because it takes that long to learn how to express different characters and themes.

Wyliefan

But the teams who have a clear sense of who they are early on, and who have programs that reflect that, tend to do better in the long run. They have time to really settle into their identity and explore all aspects of it.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
The only thing is I worry that Wheaton doesn’t always do a great job of finishing their teams.
Totally agree with this. The programs / choreography coming out of Wheaton are subpar to me. I don't think they understand how to structure Free Dances in a way that creates a complete program, that shows a district progression - a beginning to the end. Wheaton Free Dances kind of just happen. There are often brilliant parts, but I never feel like these brilliant parts add up to a brilliant whole, a complete experience.

Just take Green & Parson's modern dance FD that so many have raved about. It always left me unmoved. There was modern choreographic movement, sharp angles, some great images, but that's all it was to me - just a series of modern movements, and then it was over. There's no structure. The program didn't build to any conclusion; it just ends. Issues like this will always hold back Wheaton teams. I really hope they starting bringing in outside choreographers. They need a new perspective.

clairecloutier

The Wheaton/Ion team already did bring in an outside choreographer last year--Jimmie Manners, who was profiled at ice-dance.com and also in a USFS article. Granted, Manners comes from a dance and not skating background, but he is, in any case, an outside choreographer and a new voice there.

I believe that Meredith Jones, the off-ice dance coach, is also a fairly recent addition to the group (and was influential in conceptualizing the Martha Graham FD).

My expectation is that we may well see Green/Parsons themselves take a larger role in their creative process going forward (as began this season).

I personally would love to see Green/Parsons try collaborating with a choreographer like Christopher Dean, though.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I love Ian and Emily, and I'm interested in why you think Somerville is one of the best American male dancers. I agree, and I'd like to hear your reasons for thinking this. thanks!

Reasons I think Somerville is phenomenal: his bladework is fabulous with deep edges, his carriage is correct and crisp without being stiff, and he has stability and surety in his movement.

VGThuy

I think that's why I loved the Parsons' 2016-17 FD so much. It felt like a whole story being told matched with their excellent skating. I don't think I've seen a Wheaton FD follow that up.

Although I like going against the idea of a "structure" or "formula," the whole still needs to be compelling. The whole dramatic build thing simply works even though even I get tired of it.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Wolfkostin/Chen just posted the official announcement on their IG that they've left Igor and are now at MIDA!

Sylvia

TBD
Bringing over from the Dance Hall thread in the TC... Another new (presumably U.S.) team at the Michigan Ice Dance Academy (MIDA) in Canton, MI is Deanna Arnold (looks like she is 24 according to her her IG profile?) and Seiji Urano: https://www.instagram.com/p/CdGgHonrwGf/

Urano, now 20, competed in the U.S. in the 2019-20 season, placing 9th in Novice with Anna Lewis at the Ice Dance Final in November 2019. He had teamed up last year with Japan's Utana Yoshida and they competed (as @ice coverage kindly reminded me ;)) together at the June 2021 Chesapeake Open club competion, placing 8th in the Junior RD segment only.

BTW, Wolfkostin/Chen's IG post today ("we will be training at MIDA while attending UM[ichigan]") is from San Francisco - they are members of the Peninsula SC and performed in the SC of SF's 90th anniversary gala this past Saturday: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/spring-summer-2022-club-shows-benefits.109547/#post-6256084

Last edited:

ice coverage

Wolfkostin/Chen just posted the official announcement on their IG that they've left Igor and are now at MIDA!

I'm touched that Katarina W was so gracious in showing appreciation to Igor/Pasquale/Novi with her message and photos. 🤗

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual

This is the kind of spice we need to shake up the rankings in seniors

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting here...

Emilea Zingas (his GFM organizer) & Vadym jointly announced their new U.S. ice dance partnership today: https://www.instagram.com/p/CdlXGOgLqHl/
"So excited to announce our partnership. This will be our first season together and we can’t wait to show you all what we have been working on! #usfigureskating"

Zingas, the 2018 U.S. Novice ladies' silver medalist, represented Cyprus at 2021 Worlds and is new to ice dance: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00110372.htm

Last edited:

annie720

Cross-posting here...

Emilea Zingas (his GFM organizer) & Vadym jointly announced their new U.S. ice dance partnership today: https://www.instagram.com/p/CdlXGOgLqHl/
"So excited to announce our partnership. This will be our first season together and we can’t wait to show you all what we have been working on! #usfigureskating"

Zingas, the 2018 U.S. Novice ladies' silver medalist, represented Cyprus at 2021 Worlds and is new to ice dance: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00110372.htm
YES! When they were working with a dance coach in FL 3 months ago, I was hoping that was the case. Good to see it confirmed. I'll be looking forward to seeing them on the ice. ❤️

Taso

Cross-posting here...

Interesting! Looks like they are representing the US

ETA: Of course, this is in the us dance thread :lol:

Princessroja

The only thing is I worry that Wheaton doesn’t always do a great job of finishing their teams. Caroline could improve posture, stretch and line/toe point. They would be so devine if she could match Michael in that regard. Wheaton seems to do a better job with their men than women. IAM is exceptional with getting big improvements in that department. Including the costuming and the look, which is important in ice dance. I’m sure glad Chock and Bates joined IAM. I loved Green and Parson’s free dance this year. Hopefully they can continue with the creativity while improving the finishing.
I think she will get there. She's only 18, and if she weren't paired with Michael she'd still probably be at the junior level. He's what, 8 years her senior? I've watched her since she was in juvenile with Gordon and I have absolutely zero doubt she'll continue to improve at astonishing rates. Not too many 18 y/o ice dancers can say they have the 8th highest senior score of the season.

dancing_on_ice

I'm curious if Caroline might get a new partner eventually. Obviously not now, since she and Michael have been so successful in the past season. But, if after they qualify for the 2026 Olympics, Michael will be 30, while Caroline will be just 22. It's not unrealistic to think that Michael may want to retire after that, but Caroline still wants to continue, since she can still go for another 2 Olympic cycles if she wants to.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I'm curious if Caroline might get a new partner eventually. Obviously not now, since she and Michael have been so successful in the past season. But, if after they qualify for the 2026 Olympics, Michael will be 30, while Caroline will be just 22. It's not unrealistic to think that Michael may want to retire after that, but Caroline still wants to continue, since she can still go for another 2 Olympic cycles if she wants to.
It's far off in the future to even think about, but ice dancers go into their mid-30's pretty frequently so it's not that much of a stretch to think they could have another two Olympic cycles, especially if they rise up the ranks or are 'waiting in line'.

If Bates continues, he will be 34 by the next Worlds, and Guignard/Fabbri are continuing at 32 & 34. Lewis Gibson would be 32 at the next Olympics. Nikolaj Sorensen is 33. Jean-Luc Baker would be 32 in 2026, etc. And of course, how could I forget Daisuke Takahashi being 36?

Trillian

It's far off in the future to even think about, but ice dancers go into their mid-30's pretty frequently so it's not that much of a stretch to think they could have another two Olympic cycles, especially if they rise up the ranks or are 'waiting in line'.

I agree, two Olympics seems totally reasonable to me - they’d be 26 and 34 in 2030, which wouldn’t make either of them a huge outlier. Caroline might not be likely to compete into her 30s in her current partnership, but I don’t think it will take them that long to move up the ranks anyway. A younger partner might allow her to compete longer, but she’d also have to start from scratch in the partnership, so it wouldn’t necessarily lead to more cumulative success. It would just change the timeline. It’s very possible she’d be happy to make two Olympics by age 26 and then move on to other pursuits.

BittyBug

Disgusted
It will likely also be very difficult for Green to find a partner as skilled as Parsons. He is quite exceptional. (Not saying he's the very best dancer, although he's quite talented and may bet there, but he is a truly excellent partner.)

Anyway, I hope they have many years of competing together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information