U.S. Ice Dance 2021-22 season news & updates

insideedgeua

Pure speculation:
Parents might be religious ultra-conservatives? I’ve seen similar things happen in Russian-American families.
This definitely crossed my mind too. But it’s not like he magically and suddenly learnt to skate at Junior International level. So, the family must have been fine with supporting his skating at some point.

It sounds like a sad and difficult situation indeed. I hope he’s okay.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
This definitely crossed my mind too. But it’s not like he magically and suddenly learnt to skate at Junior International level. So, the family must have been fine with supporting his skating at some point.

It sounds like a sad and difficult situation indeed. I hope he’s okay.
Uh…I don’t think that it’s the skating per se. To me, it sounds like a “lifestyle choice” issue…what I’ve seen at our Orthodox Church in DC, even after the child becomes adult. I may be totally off…. Same thing happens with kids with hard-line Muslim parents, Southern Baptists, etc. it’s a delicate situation. If all love one another, there should be a resolution. I 🙏 for all of them.

Last edited:

annie720

Isabella and Dimitri were performing in Eddie Shipstad’s shows in Vail up until at least Christmas Eve. So whatever has happened is very recent.

I’m not sure, but almost positive, that Isabella’s mother speaks Russian. Their coach is also Russian, so it’s not like there has been a communication problem between the families.

I sure hope that we will hear something soon, to know that he is safe and well.
Plus, the family has been in the U.S. for a long time. Dmitri was born in Denver. Hoping for the best.

Frau Muller

Latest (Jan 1, 2022).

Jr Dance practice groups begin Mon.
Jr Dance competition begins Tuesday evening 8:15PM local time. I hope to see F/T there (watching on Peacock).

Last edited:

Bigbird

Latest (Jan 1, 2022).

Jr Dance practice groups begin Mon.

Jr Dance competition begins Tuesday evening 8:15PM local time. I hope to see F/T there.
This is so sad. They were one of my favourites.

insideedgeua

Isabella has posted an update on her Instagram.

Dima is physically okay, he was checked on.

He is still at home. We will not be competing at Nationals.

I am feeling very confused and helpless at this time. I cannot get into contact with him still, and I do not know for sure what this means for our future, or what Dima wants.

I appreciate all the love and support over these last few days - thank you all.

A sad update. Great that he’s physically well, but there seems to be a sad story behind this.

Bigbird

Isabella has posted an update on her Instagram.

Dima is physically okay, he was checked on.

He is still at home. We will not be competing at Nationals.

I am feeling very confused and helpless at this time. I cannot get into contact with him still, and I do not know for sure what this means for our future, or what Dima wants.

I appreciate all the love and support over these last few days - thank you all.

A sad update. Great that he’s physically well, but there seems to be a sad story behind this.
I thought parents supported and encouraged the dreams of their children.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Her Instagram post is...disturbing to say the least.

The text:

isabellaflores_

I am at a loss for words. As a lot of you know, I lost contact with him this weekend: We never heard from anyone, not him or his family to say anything, with nationals a week away.
While we tried and got a hold of the police, after several visits, the police finally did hear from Dima and said he was okay. This seems pretty out of character because I know how much he was looking forward to Nationals and how hard we worked to get here, but the case is closed and there is nothing more that we can really do. I know from the bottom of my heart by both his actions and words, that skating was his form of expression and where he felt most free; i can only imagine how devastated he is right now.

I am not sure what this means for either one of our futures at this moment, but whatever happens, he will always be an important part of my life. I am so grateful for our friendship.
We had a lot of fun.

Love you, Dima

Sounds like there's nothing anyone can do at this point. It's really awful though. They will be missed at US Nats. :(

sjs5572

My mother was not happy with the "life choices" I made when I was just a little older than Dima. Fortunately for me, I had a full college scholarship and was able to get a well paying part time job to move out on my own. Skating is an expensive sport, but I think there are many in the community who'd be willing to help Dima get started on a path to independence. Perhaps, a GoFundMe started by Isabella?

Frau Muller

F/T already had this GFM page to offset their training costs:

Maybe this can be tweaked for a redefined purpose? Not sure of rules on these things.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
F/T already had this GFM page to offset their training costs:

Maybe this can be tweaked for a redefined purpose? Not sure of rules on these things.
We know he's physically okay, but they haven't disclosed anything more. I'm not sure starting a GFM would help in this situation. They're obviously going through something very personal and private and we can't assume anything just yet. All they need right now is to be left alone. Let's hope for a positive outcome.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Life choices? Are the parents not accepting his sexuality? Is he dealing with substance abuse? Is he dealing with mental health issues? It can be anything but it’s infuriating to see an adult under the extreme control of his parents.
To be clear, this was speculation solely on her part when less details were known and his whereabouts weren't even certain. We know now that he's been checked on and that he's alright. We don't know yet if his communication to the world has been shut off by his parents or if this was his own doing. We may never know the reasons behind any of it, either.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I wonder if Wolfkostin/Chen are wishing they were competing junior. But maybe they just wanted the senior experience.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed

Really hoping they'll be able to petition on to the junior world team, given that they made the JGP final
They made the JGPF because the JGP they won was the weakest event of the seven by a wide margin. And they very nearly lost to Flores/Tsarevski.

Having said that, I believe we have 3 berths for Jr Worlds so I would be surprised if the Browns and Wolfkostin/Chen aren't on that team, along with one of either Flores/Tsarevski or Ling/Wein.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information