U.S. Ice Dance 2021-22 season news & updates

Lacey

I was going to post next about a concussion incident for Hawayek, but now it seems that there might be another prior injury or ??? to Baker...??? This seems a little mysterious.

Whatever it is, it's not a great season/competitive year for injury.

Debbie S

I was going to post next about a concussion incident for Hawayek, but now it seems that there might be another prior injury or ??? to Baker...??? This seems a little mysterious.
As posted upthread, Jean-Luc had a concussion several years ago, in the summer/fall of 2018. There was nothing mysterious, he talked about it at the time.. Unfortunately, skating can be dangerous and concussions do occur.

I hope Kaitlin will be well enough to compete at CoR.

Lacey

Without trying to sound too cynical, the wording of the press release makes it sound like this is not a new injury so it's possible that the USFS knew prior to SCI that H/B might not be in top condition before Nationals - there was some sort of injury that kept them out of US Classic in September - so this rather meteoric rise for G/P might just be the USFS politicking to ensure our next best team that is eligible for the Olympics is set up well to place in the top 10-12 at the Olympics.
I was not referring to his old concussion.

Was this "Some sort of injury that kept them out of US CLassic in September referring to her or him?

Sorry if I was wrong, thought they might both be injured.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I was not referring to his old concussion.

Was this "Some sort of injury that kept them out of US CLassic in September referring to her or him?

Sorry if I was wrong, thought they might both be injured.
There was speculation, based on Kaitlin wearing a knee brace at a wedding during the late summer in a pic on IG, that she had a knee injury.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Man, I feel for H/B. They've never been my favorites, but I still do. Being stuck at home with injuries in an Olympic year and seeing a newer team get a lot of buzz must be absolute hell. I hope they at least get a chance to skate at Nationals and fight for their spot, however that turns out.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Some sad news I saw on Instagram that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Joshua Soto, who competed with Mila Guberman just a month ago on the junior level at the US Championship Series in Blaine, passed away unexpectedly yesterday. Here is the GoFundMe fundraiser:

Spiralgraph

I feel for H/B too as they're my favorite American team. I hope they can compete at their last GP; maybe they only need a couple more weeks to be ready.
Still I like Gr/P's FD a lot, and I think a competetive Nationals for all of the top three dance spots will be ideal for fan interest.

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Man, I feel for H/B. They've never been my favorites, but I still do. Being stuck at home with injuries in an Olympic year and seeing a newer team get a lot of buzz must be absolute hell. I hope they at least get a chance to skate at Nationals and fight for their spot, however that turns out.

This is on my mind, too. I really feel for them.

Ka3sha

Sylvia

TBD
U.S. results from CS Icechallenge in Graz, Austria this past weekend:

8 Emily BRATTI / Ian SOMERVILLE USA 166.83 7 (67.18) 9 (99.65)
9 Katarina WOLFKOSTIN / Jeffrey CHEN USA 164.33 10 (63.04) 7 (101.29)
10 Lorraine MCNAMARA / Anton SPIRIDONOV USA 159.03 9 (63.82) 10 (95.21)

All now have the ISU senior minimums for Worlds.

Greg Zuerlein's post & photo with Bratti/Somerville ("Beyond impressed with these two! Second competition together, and we couldn’t be happier!"): https://www.instagram.com/p/CWQhoCMo5Dn/
He also tagged Dima Ilin who co-coaches them.

litenkyckling

Greg Zuerlein's post & photo with Bratti/Somerville ("Beyond impressed with these two! Second competition together, and we couldn’t be happier!"): https://www.instagram.com/p/CWQhoCMo5Dn/
He also tagged Dima Ilin who co-coaches them.
I think Zuerlein is such an underrated coach! Obviously success here but also a bronze medal on the JGP for Ling/Wein. I always thought that Igor's teams looked weaker without his input - and with Dima Ilin alongside he might just end up having the best school in the US further down the line - especially working with Charlie White on choreo.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Anyone else experiencing a rather severe case of Jean-Luc Baker withdrawal? Symptoms include (but are not limited to) general irritability,disdain for the trash that passes as ice dance these days, and a need to repeatedly watch the comical Swan Lake exhibition.

I certainly hope they are on the mend and are able to compete at the Zagreb invitational.

-BB

layman

Anyone else experiencing a rather severe case of Jean-Luc Baker withdrawal? Symptoms include (but are not limited to) general irritability,disdain for the trash that passes as ice dance these days, and a need to repeatedly watch the comical Swan Lake exhibition.

I certainly hope they are on the mend and are able to compete at the Zagreb invitational.

-BB
I feel the same way. I can't wait to see their programs this season.

Sylvia

TBD
Avonley Nguyen & Grigory Smirnov have debuted their Senior Rhythm Dance in Alpharetta, GA - from the Kiss & Cry thread:
Nguyen/Smirnov skated to a Backstreet Boys medley (eta: "I Want It That Way" & "Everybody") - scored 66.56.
She wore a slinky bodysuit. :cool:
They look good together! We have some great potential with some of these new pairings.

Doggygirl

Banned Member
Avonley Nguyen & Grigory Smirnov have debuted their Senior Rhythm Dance in Alpharetta, GA - from the Kiss & Cry thread:
I don't suppose there is any video anywhere???? I'm so glad to see that there are so many promising young teams coming up! :cheer2:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Thanks! I probably should have known that already LOL! I am so discombobulated this season. I feel like I am struggling to keep up with the Grand Prix (and the Chicago Bears :) )..... #firstworldproblems

Regarding Da Bears...nutthin to keep up with... just assume defeated. tee-hee

and they are on a bye.....

Sylvia

TBD
Avonley Nguyen/Grigory Smirnov won the Senior event in Alpharetta earlier today (95.32 in FD, 161.88 total) - their FD song is "Dusk Till Dawn" performed by ZAYN & Sia.

Senior Dance TES minimums for 2022 Nationals are 22 (RD) & 43 (FD); maximum number of teams is 15.

Top 5 at 2021 Nationals: Hubbell/Donohue, Chock/Bates, Hawayek/Baker, Green/Parsons, Cesanek/Yehorov
International byes (3): Carreira/Ponomarenko, Wolfkostin/Chen, McNamara/Spiridonov (I assume from competing in Graz last week?)

7 teams from the Championship Series should qualify for 2022 Nationals with both minimum scores met - Emily Bratti/Ian Somerville & Eva Pate/Logan Bye (top 2 in the first qualifying comp. in Blaine, MN), and in Alpharetta today (consider this UNOFFICIAL for now): Nguyen/Smirnov, Raffaella Koncius/Alexey Shchepetov, Livvy Shilling/Ryan O'Donnell, Cayla Cottrell/Uladzislau Palkhouski, Cara Murphy/Joshua Levitt.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Assuming Katarina Wolfkostin/Jeffrey Chen's JGP Final bye will be for Senior Nationals, Oona & Gage Brown have the only Junior bye to Nationals so the top 14 Junior teams' total scores from Alpharetta, GA and Blaine, MN should qualify for 2022 Nationals (!5 teams total).

Alpharetta, GA placement & score (A); Blaine, MN placement & score (B) - consider this UNOFFICIAL until confirmed by USFS:

A1 Isabella Flores, Broadmoor SC / Dimitry Tsarevski, Broadmoor SC 164.97 (total)
A2 Helena Carhart, Florida Everblades FSC / Volodymyr Horovyi, Florida Everblades FSC 149.32
A3 Angela Ling, Peninsula SC / Caleb Wein, Washington FSC 146.66
B2 Elliana Peal, Scott Hamilton SC / Ethan Peal, Scott Hamilton SC 144.75
B4 Leah Neset, Magic City FSC / Artem Markelov, Magic City FSC 142.24
B3 Vanessa Pham, SC of Houston / Jonathan Rogers, Texas Gulf Coast FSC 139.66
B4 Jenna Hauer, All Year FSC / Benjamin Starr, Charter Oak FSC 135.00
B5 Caroline Mullen, ION FSC Brendan Mullen, ION FSC 127.93
B6 Romy Malcolm, All Year FSC / Noah Lafornara, Lansing SC 124.88
B7 Anabelle Larson, SC of Florida / Lucas Appel, Panthers FSC 124.18
B8 Madeleine Gans, Individual Member / Jim Wang, St. Paul FSC 118.28
A8 Kristina Bland, Detroit SC / Matthew Sperry, SC of Northern Virginia 116.37
B10 Rebecca Kerscher, Centennial SC / Davis Ortonward, Broadmoor SC 105.93
B11 Olivia Dietrich, Washington FSC / Eduard Pylypenko, All Year FSC 103.19
----
B12 Madeline Freeman, Atlanta FSC / Christian Bennett, ION FSC 102.87 (#15 & 1st alt. to Nationals?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information