U.S. Ice Dance 2019-20 season news & updates

morgan rye

DL of TSL has suggested that Dubreuil give Renee Roca a call to see if she can stop by Gadbois and consult with Madi & Evan. :watch:
i believe Dave is right on this one. this free dance totally misses the mark for me too and unless they make some substantial changes they will be in for a rude awakening at nationals. thought they would have learned from the romeo and juliet last year that fell flat. perhaps they should choose their own music. i think marie france has made some boo boos this year. hope i am wrong because i normally love them.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Yep, Renee Roca has done some great work, most recently revamping Denney/Frazier's Lion King fp... It's always a good idea to seek out selective expert input and ideas.

And my :watch: means I definitely would look forward to seeing any Renee Roca collaboration with any Gadbois team.

carriecmu0503

i believe Dave is right on this one. this free dance totally misses the mark for me too and unless they make some substantial changes they will be in for a rude awakening at nationals. thought they would have learned from the romeo and juliet last year that fell flat. perhaps they should choose their own music. i think marie france has made some boo boos this year. hope i am wrong because i normally love them.
Yep, Renee Roca has done some great work, most recently revamping Denney/Frazier's Lion King fp... It's always a good idea to seek out selective expert input and ideas.

And my :watch: means I definitely would look forward to seeing any Renee Roca collaboration with any Gadbois team.

The OP clearly stated Madi and EVAN. They did not skate to Romeo and Juliet last year. You are discussing a different team.

Colonel Green

perhaps they should choose their own music.
They were the ones who wanted to skate to "My Heart Belongs to Daddy", which is the more obviously questionable music choice.

I don't think A Star is Born is a bad choice for them at all, even if the music edits they started out with don't work in their current form.

Sylvia

TBD
Excerpt:
So far this season, they have earned bronze at both the Lake Placid Ice Dance International and the 2019 Nepela Memorial. Unfortunately, Carpenter injured his wrist, and the team had to withdraw from their first Grand Prix of the season, the 2019 Internationaux de France, as well as the 2019 Finlandia Trophy. Ever the optimists, the team saw an opportunity in the disappointment.
"It gave us an opportunity to go back to the drawing board and make some tweaks and changes to our program that we wouldn't have otherwise had the opportunity to do," said Carpenter. "Now that I am back to 100 percent, we are excited to get back out there, we are really re-energized."
"We're really proud of starting the work we've done and it feels really great. And we have a lot of fire and excitement behind us, so we just want to show that off," said McNamara.

Dobre

Thank you, Sylvia. The article also says that Lorraine & Quinn's rhythm dance was choreographed by "Hamilton cast member, Karla Garcia" and that some of the choreography for their free dance was by "So You Think You Can Dance modern dancer Caitlyn Kinney."

Last edited:

Cayuse

Thank you, Sylvia. The article also says that Lorraine & Quinn's rhythm dance was choreographed by "Hamilton cast member, Karla Garcia" and that some of the choreography for their free dance was by "So You Think You Can Dance modern dancer Caitlyn Kinney."
Glad so many teams are reaching out to different choreographers!

shan

Sylvia

TBD
ISU SB Total scores (6 senior teams, 1 junior team):
3 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA ISU GP Skate America 2019 19/10/2019 209.55 S
5 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA ISU GP SHISEIDO Cup of China 2019 09/11/2019 208.55 S
10 Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA ISU GP Skate Canada International 2019 26/10/2019 194.77 S
12 Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO USA ISU CS Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy 2019 03/11/2019 191.55 S
18 Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER USA ISU CS 27th Nepela Memorial 2019 21/09/2019 183.47 S
26 Avonley NGUYEN / Vadym KOLESNIK USA ISU JGP Baltic Cup 2019 21/09/2019 174.68 J
28 Caroline GREEN / Michael PARSONS USA ISU GP Skate Canada International 2019 26/10/2019 173.82

ISU SB RD scores:
3 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA ISU GP Skate America 2019 18/10/2019 84.97 S
7 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA ISU GP Internationaux de France 2019 01/11/2019 80.69 S
9 Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA ISU GP Skate Canada International 2019 25/10/2019 79.52 S
10 Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO USA ISU CS Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy 2019 02/11/2019 78.40 S
19 Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER USA ISU CS 27th Nepela Memorial 2019 20/09/2019 73.60 S
26 Avonley NGUYEN / Vadym KOLESNIK USA ISU JGP Baltic Cup 2019 20/09/2019 69.20 J
28 Caroline GREEN / Michael PARSONS USA ISU GP Skate Canada International 2019 25/10/2019 69.00 S

ISU SB FD scores:
2 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA ISU GP SHISEIDO Cup of China 2019 09/11/2019 128.21 S
6 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA ISU GP Skate America 2019 19/10/2019 124.58 S
11 Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA ISU CS Nebelhorn Trophy 2019 28/09/2019 116.70 S
14 Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO USA ISU CS Nebelhorn Trophy 2019 28/09/2019 113.36 S
19 Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER USA ISU CS 27th Nepela Memorial 2019 21/09/2019 109.87 S
25 Avonley NGUYEN / Vadym KOLESNIK USA ISU JGP Baltic Cup 2019 21/09/2019 105.48 J
26 Caroline GREEN / Michael PARSONS USA ISU CS Lombardia Trophy 2019 15/09/2019 105.42 S

NHK Trophy:
Carreira/Ponomarenko
McNamara/Carpenter

GP Final:
Hubbell/Donohue
Chock/Bates

JGP Final:
Avonley Nguyen/Vadym Kolesnik (bye to Nationals)

Golden Spin of Zagreb:
Green/Parsons
McNamara/Carpenter
Wolfkostin/Chen (junior)

U.S. Ice Dance Final (top 12 Junior Dance teams qualified for Nationals): https://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2020/28837/CAT004SEG013.html
111Katarina Wolfkostin, Peninsula SC
Jeffrey Chen, Peninsula SC
213Molly Cesanek, Washington FSC
Yehor Yehorov, Peninsula SC
314Katarina DelCamp, Dallas FSC
Ian Somerville, Washington FSC
410Oona Brown, SC of New York
Gage Brown, SC of New York
512Layla Karnes, Skokie Valley SC
Kenan Slevira, All Year FSC
66Angela Ling, Peninsula SC
Caleb Wein, Washington FSC
77Elizabeth Tkachenko, Washington FSC
Alexei Kiliakov, Washington FSC
85Ella Ales, Los Angeles FSC
Daniel Tsarik, SC of Novi
98Cordelia Pride, All Year FSC
Benjamin Lawless, Philadelphia SC & HS
109Samantha Ritter, All Year FSC
Jim Wang, St. Paul FSC
111Anna Nicklas, Ann Arbor FSC
Max Ryan, All Year FSC
122Hilary Asher, Skokie Valley SC
Kyle Pearson, All Year FSC

aftershocks

Banned Member
The OP clearly stated Madi and EVAN. They did not skate to Romeo and Juliet last year. You are discussing a different team.

Sorry I was unclear. It was actually Madi and Zach though who had been referenced by Dave Lease on TSL, regarding having Renee Roca come in to consult with them on their programs. It's Madi & Zach whom I was referencing in my post. I went on to discuss Haven/Brandon as an example of a pairs team whom Renee has recently worked with to great success.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Weird to see M&C almost in last place for the RD at NHK after the year they had last year on the series.

Yes, I know they are coming back from injury but I am hoping for a strong comeback for them.

shan

US dance teams, particularly the ones fighting for the bronze, are having a really rough time of it so far. I hope everyone pulls it together for the second half of the season.

I know! :( for M/C really struggling here scorewise. I didn't think their actual skating looked too bad. And C/P looked disappointed too.

oleada

US dance teams, particularly the ones fighting for the bronze, are having a really rough time of it so far. I hope everyone pulls it together for the second half of the season.
It seems like a combo of technical struggles (whether that's related to injury or nerves) and really bad choices of program this year, particularly in the FD. Flamenco Beethoven, a snoozy GFB with no point of view or any choreographic interest, and a Flamenco that's been done a million times - none of them stand out in anyway. Also, teams around them have upped the ante either technically or program wise - Fear/Gibson, Fournier-Beaudry/Sorenson, even Wang/Liu - being some examples. Overall, aside from Chock/Bates FD and maybe Hawayek/Baker RD, I'm finding the programs for the US this year really disappointing (especially from my faves Hubbell/Donohue :().

chameleonster

I'm not sure I entirely agree-- from a performance perspective, when they skate well I'm quite enjoying M/C, C/P, and H/B, but that door for the third spot has been wide open all season and no one seems eager to walk through it.

georgiana08

Definitely a disappointing comeback for M/C tonight. I'm pretty sure they're scheduled for Golden Spin, so hopefully they'll have a better showing there.

Wheaton has clearly done right by them when it comes to their skating skills. It's too bad I forget most of their programs before they've even left the ice. I know they worked with outside choreographers this year, but I don't think it helped. Lorraine and Quinn don't strike me as cutthroat enough to leave the school they've been at their entire career, so for their sake I hope WISA finds someone who can bring some life to their senior teams. They have the talent, they're just lacking the material.

Lara111

I'm not sure I entirely agree-- from a performance perspective, when they skate well I'm quite enjoying M/C, C/P, and H/B, but that door for the third spot has been wide open all season and no one seems eager to walk through it.
C/P is moving in a right direction at least.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
It seems like a combo of technical struggles (whether that's related to injury or nerves) and really bad choices of program this year, particularly in the FD. Flamenco Beethoven, a snoozy GFB with no point of view or any choreographic interest, and a Flamenco that's been done a million times - none of them stand out in anyway. Also, teams around them have upped the ante either technically or program wise - Fear/Gibson, Fournier-Beaudry/Sorenson, even Wang/Liu - being some examples. Overall, aside from Chock/Bates FD and maybe Hawayek/Baker RD, I'm finding the programs for the US this year really disappointing (especially from my faves Hubbell/Donohue :().

Programs seem like such a crapshoot. Who'd have thought W/L would hit it big with Swan Lake?

And I thought Shallow would be a home run for H/D. Of course, that's before I knew they were only going to include a tiny bit of Shallow in the program!

mtnskater

I agree that so far Carrera and Ponemerenko are very mistake prone. Makes me think they aren’t training as hard as they need to be to make it automatic, but that’s just an impression. I’m also not sure about their relationship. Anthony doesn’t seem to be really warm and supportive of her. Again just an impression. I keep wondering if he intends to split with her. I really like them.

oleada

Programs seem like such a crapshoot. Who'd have thought W/L would hit it big with Swan Lake?
Heh, for them I think the RD is a bigger hit than Swan Lake and they were the ones I was specifically thinking of in terms of technical improvement.

mtnskater

^ Good. I hope so. Maybe because of several mistakes over the GP they are in their own heads in the K & C.

C

casken

Has a team in recent memory squandered so many clearly "handed to them on a silver platter" placements as C&P?

I mean, they're obviously being politiked into bronze at Nationals, probably so Igor can remain relevant and all of US ice dance isn't handed over to Dubreuil, but they're not making it easy.

Debbie S

Has a team in recent memory squandered so many clearly "handed to them on a silver platter" placements as C&P?
Hubbell/Donohue?

The best C/P would have gotten at NHK was 5th, so they dropped 1 spot. H/B also lost to W/L, in both RD and FD, so I don't think C/P have slipped in the nat'l standings/rep that much. Skating aggressively and clean at Nats will be key, but they would have needed to do that anyway. (And their NHK FD score was still higher than H/B's in China.)

mollymgr

I don't think one can compare between competitions even though it gives a bit of an idea of where the approximate placements could be. Nationals is going to be tough. It will come down to two most important things for these teams- Hitting those levels for the RD and staying mentally strong to not mess up the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information