U.S. Ice Dance 2019-20 season news & updates

Debbie S

In an IG Live, Madison Hubbell said that she and Zach already have a new free dance and they're working on getting the music cut right now.
Was this the makeup one last week? I didn't watch live but skipped through later and I thought Madison said they were focusing on the Oly season since they didn't even know if there would be a season this year, so I took that to mean they were focusing on their Oly programs. But of course, I could have missed a specific reference to a new FD.

I assume most teams will keep their RD. Whether many opt to keep their FDs from this season probably depends on when they can start training again and what comps we'll have this season. If there is no fall season, I would expect more teams (and singles and pairs) to keep their programs since they'll only be competing a few times. With everything going on and this not being a normal off-season by any means, I don't think judges will hold it against skaters who reuse programs.

Jayar

Skaters constantly get new programs between the Grand Prix and Euros/4CCs. It is not out of the realm of possibility to get a new program.

Debbie S

Skaters constantly get new programs between the Grand Prix and Euros/4CCs. It is not out of the realm of possibility to get a new program.
Oh, it's definitely possible. But with most rinks still closed (so 2 months now off the ice for most skaters, and counting) and with a potentially shorter comp season, skaters might choose to focus on getting back in competitive form with their current programs and creating new programs for the Oly season. Or if they or the judges didn't like their current programs, they could get new ones.

Japanfan

There has been discussion that many skaters won't have time for new programs and/or music...that given the short amount of training time available (if the Grand Prix Season starts as per normal in the fall) and the lack of opportunity for in person choreography, many skaters will have to re-use last seasons programs.

I expect that many will want to, since they didn't have the chance to peak with their programs as Worlds.

Ka3sha

dancing_on_ice

Interesting interview with Vadim Kolesnik

It's in Russian, but from the first glance google translate works just fine.

Great interview! He mentions that they're looking to move up to senior next season with two grand prix assignments. Fingers crossed that the grand prix series can happen and this is a possibility.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I’m not trying to be mean but my least favorite senior US team retired/split, leaving me with six teams to root for if N/K go senior. :wideeyes:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Here's a recent YouTube chat Maddie & Evan had with All Year FSC members (two junior skaters and a U.S. figure skating team leader):

I discovered the interview thanks to @skylark posting an interview the same questioners had with Brandon & Alexa on May 21.

Evan is allowing his hair to return to its curly state during this down time. :)

Sylvia

TBD
IDC has compiled a "Congratulations Class of 2020" (high school & college) video:

A few notables:
Maxwell Gart will attend Georgia Tech in Atlanta to study mechanical engineering.
Cameron Colucci plans to enter McGill University and skate at the Ice Academy of Montreal.
Emily Bratti will attend the University of Maryland.
James Koszuta will represent Norway with his new partner - more info here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/scandinavian-skaters-news-thread.99400/page-7#post-5821180
Danielle Gamelin has graduated with a BFA in Art Honors from Wayne State University (video concludes with her written message).

aftershocks

Banned Member
Maxwell Gart will attend Georgia Tech in Atlanta to study mechanical engineering.

Ah, so did Maxwell's most recent partner, Anya Lavrova, suffer a career-ending injury? It's sad if that's the case. They really looked very promising together. Anyway, congrats and good luck to Maxwell for his acceptance to attend Georgia Tech! I also hope that Anya is doing well and has healed and rehabbed smoothly from her injury.

Sylvia

TBD
On Ice Perspectives' Jordan Cowan filmed last November at the Ice Academy of Montreal and shared his footage in these live chats during quarantine:

Chock & Bates (May 19):

Hubbell & Donohue (May 20):

Hawayek & Baker (June 1):

Sylvia

TBD
Michael Bramante Building Ice Dance Program in Boston by TJ Carey (May 23, 2020):
“I’ve had a lot of experience at a lot of different training facilities, and I want to take those experiences and take the positives from different ones and build them into a cohesive training program and training facility, both for developmental and elite [couples] as well.”
Bramante takes particular direction from each of his past training centers for the purpose of creating an environment in which skaters can push themselves, knowing they have the support of their training mates.
To do this, he developed a coaching team in which each individual’s strengths can be best used to benefit the skaters. coach Alex Shaughnessy Ronzio, longtime U.S. pairs competitor and 2016 US International Classic bronze medalist, fulfills the role of a coach with experience in spins and other pair elements. Bryna Oi, 2011 Japanese national champion in ice dancing and 2013 Four Continents Championships competitor, adds to the team with her experience in the lady’s role of partnering.

ETA articles on 2 Junior teams that competed at 2020 Nationals (K/S placed 9th & F/B 13th of 14 teams):

Layla Karnes & Kenan Slevira (Nov. 9, 2019): https://www.ice-dance.com/site/getting-to-know-layla-karnes-kenan-slevira/

Isabella Flores & Adam Bouaziz (April 24, 2020): https://www.ice-dance.com/site/meet-isabella-flores-adam-bouaziz/

And one more on the Novice silver medalists at the Ice Dance Final:
Helena Carhart & Volodymyr Horovyi (Dec. 28, 2019): https://www.ice-dance.com/site/getting-to-know-helena-carhart-volodymyr-horovyi/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD

VGThuy

Michael Bramante Building Ice Dance Program in Boston by TJ Carey (May 23, 2020):

ETA articles on 2 Junior teams that competed at 2020 Nationals (K/S placed 9th & F/B 13th of 14 teams):

Layla Karnes & Kenan Slevira (Nov. 9, 2019): https://www.ice-dance.com/site/getting-to-know-layla-karnes-kenan-slevira/

Isabella Flores & Adam Bouaziz (April 24, 2020): https://www.ice-dance.com/site/meet-isabella-flores-adam-bouaziz/

And one more on the Novice silver medalists at the Ice Dance Final:
Helena Carhart & Volodymyr Horovyi (Dec. 28, 2019): https://www.ice-dance.com/site/getting-to-know-helena-carhart-volodymyr-horovyi/

It’s always exciting when a new ice dance center is developed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information