U.S. Ice Dance 2017/18 season news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
The "surprise" 13th Senior ice dance team scheduled to make their competition debut at 2018 Nationals is... Ashley Bain (North Jersey FSC) & Oleg Altukhov (still North County FSC?): https://www.facebook.com/AshleyandOleg/

IDC's profile-in-progress for them lists their coaches/choreographers as Arkadiy Sergeev and Valeriya Sergeev and their program music as:
Short Dance: "Whatever Happens" / "Smooth" by Carlos Santana featuring Rob Thomas
Free Dance: "Exogenesis Symphony Part 3 – Redemption" by Muse

The 13 Senior teams at Nationals:
Byes (8):
Madison Chock/Evan Bates
Kaitlin Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker
Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue
Lorraine McNamara/Quinn Carpenter
Maia Shibutani/Alex Shibutani
Rachel Parsons/Michael Parsons
Elliana Pogrebinsky/Alex Benoit
Ashley Bain/Oleg Altukhov (elected not to compete at Pacific Coast Sectionals)
Qualified at Sectionals (5):
Julia Biechler/Damian Dodge [E1]
Elicia Reynolds/Stephen Reynolds [E2]
Cassidy Klopstock/Jacob Schedl [E3]
Alexandra Aldridge/Daniel Eaton [M1]
Karina Manta/Joseph Johnson [M2]

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Next year's nationals starts the 19th I think. Only the Olympic years have the early timing.

Good to know the start of 2019 U.S. Nats, thanks. Actually, U.S. Nats has never started this early. December 29th?! Never. I understand why though. There's now the team event at the Olympics, and they also want to stay a bit further away probably from 4CCs, although likely none of the top skaters will go to 4CCs this year.

gkelly

Good to know the start of 2019 U.S. Nats, thanks. Actually, U.S. Nats has never started this early. December 29th?! Never. I understand why though.

It's always earlier in Olympic years.

E.g., January 5-12 in 2014, January 2-9 in 1994.

Usually the championship events fall on the second weekend in January, but it depends on how the calendar falls out that year, as well as venue availability, broadcaster preferences, etc.

Before the advent of Four Continents, non-Olympic-year Nationals were often in February, or late January.

2014 was the first Olympic year that juvenile and intermediate events were held the same week and the same location as "big Nationals." This year is the second, and maybe that will change again before 2022 and this year will be the last.

Without juveniles and intermediates, not counting practices, novice and sometimes a junior event such as compulsory dances might have started on the Sunday before the final weekend.

With the additional events to schedule now that there are five levels instead of three, the first events are starting on the previous Friday this year, and ending on Sunday, so there are a total of 10 days of competition instead of the 7 days that were usually used for three levels.

Championship events usually start on Wednesdays. This year that's January 3.

In 1994, Championship compulsory dances were Tuesday, January 4.

So not much different than '94 at senior level, accounting for the different days of the week that the dates fall on and not including the lower levels.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Thanks for the detailed info. I don't remember 1994 start date. :lol: I vaguely remember 2014 schedule. But I know for sure, U.S. Nationals never started in December of the previous year! Of course, the regionals and sectionals take place in the fall. And skating seasons obviously begin in fall of each year and continue into the following year.

It's just the idea of December being the end of one year, and January the beginning of another, when in reality these two months follow each other and are therefore closely connected. It gets dicey because the year changes and a lot of people get confused, as did @TanithandBenFan when she said 'next year's Nationals starts the 19th,' and she means 2019 U.S. Nationals. :) Since we are still in 2017 at the moment, next year is 2018.

Sylvia

TBD
... although likely none of the top skaters will go to 4CCs this year.
None of the skaters/teams named to the 2018 Olympic team will go to 4CC in Taiwan.

Since Championship (Senior) Dance will be the final event on Sunday afternoon (Jan. 7, 2018), their first official practice will be later -- on Wednesday morning January 3rd.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Thanks @Sylvia. And of course I meant to say "4CCs next year" or "4CCs this season." :lol:

Oh wow, Senior Dance the final event! Anticipation for a showdown. Hot ticket, as rightly it should be. But NBC never seems to realize that during the GP season.

VGThuy

I would say their life is much easier then life of most of the Juniors I know who are still at school and put the same 4-5 training hours each day.

I guess the senior life is a reward for they themselves also going through all of that, and some like Evan Bates even went to college and graduated while doing that. Most of the above are also now adults and even if their parents are still close by to help they also have more adult responsibilities to worry about as well.

topaz

Madison Hubbell - a quote
Then, from 12 to 1 p.m., I have private weight training. I recently starting doing more weight training with a body builder, and

Very true statement. Women should "lift heavy". Muscle tones better, quicker with more definition. I happen to think Madison's body is outstandingly fit and great looking.

chapis

I would say their life is much easier then life of most of the Juniors I know who are still at school and put the same 4-5 training hours each day.

My life is easier now that I have a job than when I was in the school. Seriously, I dont miss the school at all, especially because even when I worked hard, I was not getting money :lol:. And I had to wake up 4am :wall:.

Precisely, a few days ago, I was thinking about how horrible to be young is.

Last edited:

chapis

Jun Y

The competition in Novice dance is fierce. After pattern dances the top 4 teams are so close. I am impressed by all of them. Even the teams that occasionally stumbled skated with verve and attack. Most skated close together with good unison. Many teams have stuck together for a few years and improved steadily.

semogal

Has there ever been a deeper US dance field? Everyone brought their "A" game today. The top 3 showed why they are podium contenders in Korea, our fresh from juniors teams (the Parsons and M/C) showed they belong in the senior ranks, and teams like H/B and P/B are in fighting shape. Also a shout out to A/E, so great to see these two together again.

C

casken

The order is pretty clear.

Amazing that C&B almost won worlds a few years ago, and now can't even get a single 10.00 at US Nationals.

Lara111

Has there ever been a deeper US dance field? Everyone brought their "A" game today. The top 3 showed why they are podium contenders in Korea, our fresh from juniors teams (the Parsons and M/C) showed they belong in the senior ranks, and teams like H/B and P/B are in fighting shape. Also a shout out to A/E, so great to see these two together again.
Take a look a Juniors. It is even deeper there

Lara111

I would not say so. There are many US junior dance teams, but no top contenders/really high level teams except Carreira/Ponomarenko. It's all Russians now otherwise. Maybe in a year or two, but even then it's doubtful that the US juniors will beat out the Russian juniors overall.
Well, Greens are at the same level and will be in the GP finals next year most likely. There is a lot of potential in some lower level junior teams as well.

lauravvv

Well, Greens are at the same level.
Judging by scores, there are several (or even more) Russian junior teams who would have beaten Greens if they had met in one GP event - including those that did not get into the final. So not exactly at the same level. And, while Greens will probably be in the final next season, it's also likely that they will be the only US team there, whereas the number of Russian teams in the final will probably be three to four. Plus, there have been three US senior dance teams in the GP Final for the last three seasons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information