U.S. Ice Dance 2017/18 season news & updates

jiejie

It's just a dumb typo by whoever prepped that press announcement. In fact, it follows a separate announcement issued just before by the USFS, announcing Hubbell/Donahue as the Champions.

Luv that pruufreeding.

RoseRed

@Willin I believe Madi and Zach started dating not that long after they paired up (though not right away because they apparently didn't like each other at first), dated for 2-2.5 years, then decided they couldn't both skate together and date, so broke up. Currently, Madi is dating Adria Diaz and Zach is dating Adria's partner Olivia Smart.

barbarafan

“Alternates for the 2018 Olympic Team have been named as Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker (first alternate), Lorraine McNamara and Quinn Carpenter (second alternate), and Rachel Parsons and Michael Parsons (third alternate).”

http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=91150&type=media

Interesting that they went with McNamara and Carpenter over the Parsons as second alternates...

Maybe it was because Charlie White liked them and said they were doing V/M's lift but did it better than V/M. I liked the Parson's better.

jiejie

Press release on USFS website has now been fixed to read "Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue are the 2018 champions." However, the Shibs are not clearly identified as the 2018 silver medalists and the order of presentation in the press release should be amended as well to present them in bronze-silver-gold order. Maybe this will be re-written/released tomorrow when the adults are back in the USFS office.

chapis

Yes, Zach is with Olivia Smart and anyone who follow their instagram realize that Zach is madly in love with her.

skatingguy

decently
When will the Oly team event assignments be announced?
I think this is the schedule for entries, but of course individual countries could make the announcements well in advance of this time.
 Team Confirmation meeting
 Team Event (M & P SP) February 8, 2018 10:00
 Team Event (L SP & ID SD) February 10, 2018 10:00
 Team Event (Pair Skating FS) February 11, 2018 13:15
 Team Event (M & L FS, ID FD) February 11, 2018 15:30
http://www.isu.org/communications/15079-isu-communication-2119/file

Spun Silver

I think this is the schedule for entries, but of course individual countries could make the announcements well in advance of this time.
 Team Confirmation meeting
 Team Event (M & P SP) February 8, 2018 10:00
 Team Event (L SP & ID SD) February 10, 2018 10:00
 Team Event (Pair Skating FS) February 11, 2018 13:15
 Team Event (M & L FS, ID FD) February 11, 2018 15:30
http://www.isu.org/communications/15079-isu-communication-2119/file
Surely it will be much earlier than this!!

Barbara Manatee

I wonder if it's going to be a game of chicken with the selections? The feds will all want to know who the other countries are going to send before they decide on their own strategy.

skatfan

I'm not convinced the Shibs should have added the section of Fix You to their FD. It just made me think "wow, I loved that other program so much!"

I have similar feelings. Having never seen it live, I was wishing that was their Free Skate today when I heard the music. Plus it makes the 2nd half of the program a bit jumbled to my ear...

chapis

I don´t follow juniors so close but not surprises with the selection, right?

jiejie

I don´t follow juniors so close but not surprises with the selection, right?
No surprises. The top three teams at the Junior level (Carreira/Ponomarenko, Green/Green, Lewis/Bye) are going to Jr. Worlds. In this case, podium placements align with the US' current best three teams. Alternates are the 4th-6th placements, though this year, Jr Worlds alternates are not given a particular order).

C

casken

H&B were totally robbed of winning the FD, IMO.

What was up with the Shibs adding the Fix You section in? Maybe they were thinking "this FD isn't getting the rave reviews of Fix You, why don't we add it in" or something along those lines? It seemed so out of place and made me hate a FD I'd previously loved because it reminded me of a FD so good I don't think they can replicate it. The change turned a program I loved into one I found very underwhelming. I hope they go back to the old cut, but I don't think they will at this point.

I took it to mean they know they can't shake the "retread" label with the FD as is, so they're doubling down with the music edits to make the retread look purposeful rather than unimaginative and lazy.

Like the Trilogy thing this probably just something they came up with to justify using the same FD style for three years.

jiejie

When all is said and done, there has to be a clear numerical winner so we know who to give the gold/silver/bronze to, but the reality is that the USA has essentially a three-way tie at the top--and all three teams are Olympic and World podium-worthy and podium-capable. Other countries should be so lucky. I happen to like all three teams but Hubbell/Donohue's FS is for me, one of the best skating programs this year worldwide, across all disciplines. So I was thrilled they finally got the gold while at the same time being a bit sad for the Shibs.

My next biggest thrill was Hawayek/Baker, that was like watching a perfect dream and forgetting it was a competition. Skating like that again at 4CC might be enough to get them the gold there. Part of me hopes that at least one of the top 3 US teams will call it a career after this season or next, so that they have a shot to break into the US top three sooner rather than later.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
Just seeing the FDs back to back last night, I think the Shibs lifts are a bit underwhelming this year? I am a huge fan of them, but tbh their lifts all look similar (I also see in the protocol their last lift only received level 1 for nationals, so I wonder if it was half aborted yesterday?)

VGThuy

Just seeing the FDs back to back last night, I think the Shibs lifts are a bit underwhelming this year? I am a huge fan of them, but tbh their lifts all look similar (I also see in the protocol their last lift only received level 1 for nationals, so I wonder if it was half aborted yesterday?)

All of their leveled lifts hit level 4 yesterday. The final lift is a choreographic lift and is always level 1.

I get your point about their lifts though. The first straightline lift I thought was so impactful and eye-catching at Rostelecom and Skate America. They changed it at the GPF and did some variation at Nationals of the first lift. I think they should have just stuck with the GP one. They went back to the Fix You lift for their rotational lift. I'm not sure how I feel about that though the crowd loved it at Skate America. It seems too many retreads to Fix You. Although their stationary lift is impressive, I'd like to see more as other ice dance teams who are doing stationary lifts and adding extra feature and difficulty (like rising and lowering, changing position, etc.). That final choreographic lift could be a better position and be more impactful as well, but I've said that the past two seasons and their answer was to simplify it to something I'm not sure was as good as the original (though they look less labored).

It's too late to make changes now. They just need practice what they plan from here on out and perfect them.

jmtfti

My next biggest thrill was Hawayek/Baker, that was like watching a perfect dream and forgetting it was a competition. Skating like that again at 4CC might be enough to get them the gold there. Part of me hopes that at least one of the top 3 US teams will call it a career after this season or next, so that they have a shot to break into the US top three sooner rather than later.

Their competition at 4CC will be McNamara/Carpenter and the Parsons again along with Wang/Liu, Muramoto/Reed, and Canada's significantly less established 4-6 teams -- and for as much as I enjoy and respect most of those other couples as well, Hawayek/Baker are pretty clearly the gold medal favorites even without a perfect replication of this performance. And if so, that hopefully does lead to a big step up -- certainly didn't hurt Weaver/Poje or Hubbell/Donohue.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I've been thinking about the team event and the team captain. Bates seems to be the obvious choice since he's a three-time Olympian. If he's chosen, I would think he and Madi would get to skate.

jlai

Question everything
I don't see them leaving out the reigning national champ or gpf medalist out of the team event.
I don't have a strong opinion on who should be in however

Jayar

I think that for the team event in South Korea, it will be the Shibs in the SD and Chock/Bates in the FD... both have consistently scored well in said segment. Unfortunately, that leaves the Hubbells out, but maybe they can win the bronze in the individual so all three teams will have an Olympic bronze?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information