This Is Us, Season 6: The Final Chapter

Japanfan

Obviously little Jack is going to hurt his head on it due to Toby's negligence and lead to the marriage split.

I need to watch the episode again. What was Toby's negligence?

And yes Jack was born blind. That got quite a bit of attention, including Kate finding out at the doctor's office, and later taking him to a music session for kids.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I don't understand why everyone assumes that Toby's assumed negligence would lead to a divorce. Kids get hurt all the time so as long as it's not deliberate I can understand a spouse being angry or annoyed but can any parent say they never looked away for a minute or some other thing happened that they could have prevented? We might find that the distance or some other thing led to the divorce.

PS Every time I write the word divorce I still sing D-I-V-O-R-C-E to myself. :)

Judy

I don't understand why everyone assumes that Toby's assumed negligence would lead to a divorce. Kids get hurt all the time so as long as it's not deliberate I can understand a spouse being angry or annoyed but can any parent say they never looked away for a minute or some other thing happened that they could have prevented? We might find that the distance or some other thing led to the divorce.

PS Every time I write the word divorce I still sing D-I-V-O-R-C-E to myself. :)
We will have to see! Cliff hanger!

love skating

Clueless American
I need to watch the episode again. What was Toby's negligence?

For now, it's just implied that there's some accident that leads to divorce. And I should know better than to ever assume on this show as they love to lead us into thinking one thing only to throw us a curveball. All we really know is that adult Jack's wife says why do you keep using the green egg when it was the symbol of the day his parents' marriage blew up (just paraphrasing here) and we see a scar on adult Jack's head.

Who knows with this show. I do love that they keep us guessing, I just hope the end finale doesn't keep us guessing - in other words, hoping our questions get answered.

Japanfan

I would assume that whatever accident happens is just the straw the breaks the camel's back.

There have been a few subtle hints of problems between Kate and Toby. Like the time he said "I love my children, but. . ." and his unhappiness about having to be a stay home dad. Kate has been home with the kids, doing most of the work at home, and has even more responsibility now that Toby is gone three days a week. That could definitely become a source of tension.

Sylvia

TBD
Tonight:
Our fourth episode up is one of those specialized, very different episodes. And it's as good as Milo Ventimiglia has ever been in the show. It's a Jack episode, and it's really, really good. By the end of the season, this show, before getting really simple, it gets really ambitious. To me, it may be [Ventimiglia's] best episode of the entire series. It was a bit of a love letter by the writer of the episode — and the writers — to give Jack one here in the final season, and Milo really delivered.
From this final season preview article:

Mandy Moore mentioned in an Instagram story today that they have 8 episodes left to film.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Good gracious, that episode definitely broke me. Beautiful performances from the cast tonight especially Milo V. It was wonderful getting to see Jack again (he hasn't been as prominant in recent seasons since they've focused more on the kids and Bec) but it was so heartbreaking to go through all those emotions with him tonight over his mom's death. I can't get over how freaking brilliant Milo was tonight (that last line with Bec....UGH, that broke me hard :wuzrobbed ) and even though it was super emotional and sad, I think that was one of my favorite episodes of the series. :fragile:

manhn

I was not really looking forward to this episode but my goodness, was I a wreck by the end of it. Plot wise, you see Jack going back to drinking (which had been addressed in the second ever episode), the generational aspect of abuse between Jack’s mother and Kate, and it explains how and why Jack literally left his past life behind him.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
It was difficult for me to watch this episode as I just lost my dad in November. It brought up so many feelings from the days following his death. I thought the episode was beautifully done, but I spent a good portion of it sobbing. I'll be glad to get back to my regularly scheduled tearing up during normal TIU episodes.

Judy

It was difficult for me to watch this episode as I just lost my dad in November. It brought up so many feelings from the days following his death. I thought the episode was beautifully done, but I spent a good portion of it sobbing. I'll be glad to get back to my regularly scheduled tearing up during normal TIU episodes.
I can totally relate to that. I’m so sorry about your dad.

manhn

The lines! Tactics! Knock knock! Leave me in peace! A live woman?!? Loved it all.

The actress who plays teen Kate really emulates Metz so well. The way she was mocking Rebecca and Miguel over Millionaire, she sounded so much like her.

Annie has grown up SO MUCH.

taf2002

I'm not usually in favor of corporal punishment but that slap was well-deserved. I'm trying to imagine me talking to either of my parents like that but can't. It's too far-fetched.

BaileyCatts

Someone check my timeline .... Jack died in early part of 1997, right? Millionaire was at earliest in Fall 2000, right? So in the shortest time-span possible it would have been at least 3.5, pushing 4 years since Jack died? Is that correct or is my timing off. So Kate thinks that some 3 years later Rebecca should just stay in mourning and never move on to live the rest of her life? I know it was devastating to lose her husband that way, but she was only in her 40s, she had another some 40 or so years to live her life. So yeah .... Kate totally deserved that slap. Even if my timing is way off.

Kevin better not end up with Cassidy! I have never liked Cassidy and I definitely don't like her with Kevin!

manhn

The show has been basically "chronological" in the sense that even in the past, each season represents a year. Jack "died" in season two, so it's been 3 years since his death.

These are the years where Rebecca's relationships with Kate & Kevin really sour, which Rebecca overcompensates with her relationship with Randall. We are just at the start of the ugliness.

Japanfan

Kevin better not end up with Cassidy! I have never liked Cassidy and I definitely don't like her with Kevin!
I like Cassidy. Don't mind that she is crusty around the edges, don't blame her for that. My guess is she and Kevin do wind up together. She will keep him on the straight and narrow, that's for sure. I think she is a much better match for him than Madison.

Judy

Well done by Rebecca and Kate. I lost my brother when he was 40 and my sister-in-law was 38. my nieces 7 and 11. That’s exactly how it played out when my sister-in-law started dating then met and married her husband. I remember a blow up over really nothing at a dinner at my place and going out and sitting with my oldest niece on the curb as she was sobbing. Kids are left feeling the only one left is the surviving parent and their love for their dad.

It took a lot of time and incredible patience from her husband but the girls ❤️ him today and so do we.

taf2002

I don't care who Kevin ends up with. I think the writers are so talented that they will make us fall in love with the pairing. And I like the Nicky storyline but they didn't address why he wasn't at his mother's funeral.

Sylvia

TBD
Back tonight! :)

"Our Little Island Girl: Part Two" (written by Susan Kelechi Watson and TIU co-producer Eboni Freeman):

chantilly

I don't care who Kevin ends up with. I think the writers are so talented that they will make us fall in love with the pairing. And I like the Nicky storyline but they didn't address why he wasn't at his mother's funeral.
Someone better than me can probably do better about explaining the timelines but Jack did go to Nicky at his trailer and basically completely cut him out of his life.

And it was pretty clear from the episode that the mother was kind of almost hiding out for fear.

And Nicky was a real recluse. So I can’t imagine he was contacting his family either.

They at this point may be thinking he’s dead from the war?

chantilly

I don’t get the Sophie hate with Kevin

And I wasn’t on board with a Toby and Kate break up either, but I’m willing to trust the writers.

I actually started to like Phillip last episode. He’s a funny British curmudgeon.

I don’t see any chemistry between him and Kate as of yet.

But adult Kate is by far my least favourite character of the entire show. So I may be biased.I love teen Kate though.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I want Beth as a figure skating coach!!!

A friend of mine and I were just saying the same thing last night as we watched the ep! Beth was an absolute treasure and I LOVE that she took her passion for dance and spread that to all those other girls (several of whom found success in dance as a career choice thanks to her influence). That was such a great ep last night! :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information