The Dance Hall, Part 4: To Helsinki & Back -- Seeking Rhumba Magic ...

Sylvia

TBD

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Looking at this, I actually understand way more the GOEs, it's pretty clear. P/C's lift definitely justifies the +3 GOE. Actually, when Guillaume fell, it was -2 for the Dist across the board which is exactly what's written in the book (clean Step sequence but 1 partner falls = minus 2).
Nothing about te levels though ? :confused: Is it on another handbook ?
It's in the Technical Panel Handbook. They also release Q&A's throughout the season to clarify requirements and rule changes. Those are usually found in separate communications.

http://www.isu.org/inside-single-pa...-id-handbook-for-technical-panel-2017-18/file

I try to make the effort to go through both handbooks every season, but haven't made the slough through this one yet. Most of it hasn't changed, and what has changed from last season is usually underlined.

Edit: I see Sylvia beat me to it!

forthewin

Ice dance would be on the list for those people no matter what and they would also include figure skating as a whole. Regular people don’t really see much of a difference in the lifts that P/C are doing compared to what V/M and D/W are/were doing. They would just scoff at everything about this “gay” sport.
I don't know where you got this idea that regular people are idiots who can't tell athletic ability and appreciate sports with art. Certainly not people I know. I hope you don't generalize when you insult people because of your issues next time.

wickedwitch

I am curious why P/C lifts get level 4s on the lifts (for full disclosure, I like both P/C and V/M)
P/C get level 4 because they meet the requirement of level 4. If there's a specific lift you are questioning, I can go over it point by point.

muffinplus

Yes, I understand they meet the L4 requirement. I'm asking why is the straight line lift considered as difficult as some of the lifts V/M are doing (see GIF in that link). It does *look* much simpler. But again, I'm not a technical expert or a skater. Is the critique that this kind of lift gets a L4 BS?

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Yes, I understand they meet the L4 requirement. I'm asking why is the straight line lift considered as difficult as some of the lifts V/M are doing. It does look simpler. But again, I'm not a technical expert or a skater. Is the critique that this kind of lift gets a L4 BS?
Yes. This is a sport with rules. Criticizing skaters for following the rules in order to earn points (like Medvedeva's Tanos and Rippons) is ridiculous when it comes to analyzing the sport as a sport. It's just a baseless way to attack certain skaters that one happens to not like (the desire to criticize in search of a reason.)

Anyasnake

So who runs this blog? A V/M uber?

http://dubemoir.blogspot.ca/2017/10/imagine-their-names-werent-papadakis.html
http://dubemoir.blogspot.ca/2017/09/papadakis-cizeron-free-dance.html

I am curious why P/C lifts get level 4s on the lifts (for full disclosure, I like both P/C and V/M)
What the hell ? I've rarely seen something so offensive in the ice dance world.

EDIT : I went through a couple of articles and my eyes are burning :inavoid: This person is attacking private lives of skaters.
I won't give it a second thought.

muffinplus

Yes. This is a sport with rules. Criticizing skaters for following the rules in order to earn points (like Medvedeva's Tanos and Rippons) is ridiculous when it comes to analyzing the sport as a sport. It's just a baseless way to attack certain skaters that one happens to not like (the desire to criticize in search of a reason.)

So are the lifts that V/M and P/C have in FD of equal difficulty ?

muffinplus

What the hell ? I've rarely seen something so offensive in the ice dance world.

EDIT : I went through a couple of articles and my eyes are burning :inavoid: This person is attacking private lives of skaters.
I won't give it a second thought.

Then you must not watch a lot of youtube videos. The standards there are really low. Then there is this obsessed Yu Na Kim fan that makes videos about Medvedeva....but I digress

Anyasnake

Then you must not watch a lot of youtube videos. The standards there are really low. Then there is this obsessed Yu Na Kim fan that makes videos about Medvedeva....but I digress
I avoid all that... I saw a twitter comments that said that the V/M vs D/W fanwars was absolutely insane and P/C vs V/M fanwars are insignificant compared to what happenned before. I'm guessing that's true though.

mollymgr

Yes, I understand they meet the L4 requirement. I'm asking why is the straight line lift considered as difficult as some of the lifts V/M are doing (see GIF in that link). It does *look* much simpler. But again, I'm not a technical expert or a skater. Is the critique that this kind of lift gets a L4 BS?
Those aren't even the same type of lifts.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
So are the lifts that V/M and P/C have in FD of equal difficulty ?
They both meet the requirements for level 4. As for the relative difficulty of the lifts, we’re then entering an argument full of arbitrary supposition, which I see as pointless.

I like to see the four disciplines as a sport, and for the most part choose to engage in rules-based discussion when it comes to any sort of technical analysis.

binbinwinwin

So who runs this blog? A V/M uber?

http://dubemoir.blogspot.ca/2017/10/imagine-their-names-werent-papadakis.html
http://dubemoir.blogspot.ca/2017/09/papadakis-cizeron-free-dance.html

Not gonna click on the links to give them views but that's the Tessa had a secret baby blog. Please pay them no mind, and that goes to anyone else who didn't know this blog before.

mollymgr

Both RoLi4 and SiLi4 are 4.5 base value

http://www.isu.org/inside-single-pa...requirements-for-technical-rules-2017-18/file
(refer to page 16-17)
To get a Level 4 for the rotational lift.
OPTION 1.a) Lifted partner sustains a Difficult Pose through at least 5 rotations or moves through a Change of Pose AND Lifting partner moves through at least 6 rotations OPTION 1.b) Requirements for Level 3 Option 1 AND Entry Feature OR Exit Feature - excluding Group of examples b) (entry/exit from a Difficult Position for the lifting partner) OPTION 2 Requirements for Level 3 Option 2 AND One Hand/Arm Rotational Lift Extra Feature

To get a Level 4 for the straightline lift.
3 Features out of 4: 1.Lifted partner sustains a Difficult Pose for at least 3 sec OR Lifted partner moves through a Change of Pose 2. Lifting partner sustains a Difficult Position for at least 3 sec 3. Entry feature/ 4. Exit feat

wickedwitch

Unless you want to see all the teams do the exact same lifts, then they won't have the exact same difficulty. So things are grouped into difficulty classes.

Additionally, lifts with "wow" factor often get extra GoE from judges, and one way to do that is to push the lift difficulty beyond what's needed for level 4. It's a choice every team makes. It's like how the Shibs add the extra twizzle on, even though it doesn't give the extra points in base value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information