The Dance Hall, Part 4: To Helsinki & Back -- Seeking Rhumba Magic ...

Jammers

Coomes/Buckland is the team I wonder the most about because they had such a wonderful 2016 Worlds showing that I think they could have made a statement last season. I still think they can this season.

As for my own biased opinion, I also think it's time for H/D to live up to their potential and be more of a challenger. That said, my own biases also wants me to think the Shibs will step it up and be more a sure-thing for a medal and maybe be in a better position than last season to cement their medal status internationally.
The Shibs are going to be hard pressed to win an Olympic medal if they retreat and skate reserved as they have been criticized in the past for. The Coldplay program opened them up emotionally for the first time but they need to push themselves further and not worry so much about not making mistakes and being happy with that. As Frank Carroll has said playing it safe does not win you Gold medals at the Olympics as was the case with Michelle in Nagano and the Shibs will not get on the podium skating within themselves without giving it that last final push.

VGThuy

I get what you're saying but we've seen some lame ass performances win medals including gold at the Olympics in the past. I do think a message was sent at Worlds despite the level 2 on the pattern being mostly responsible for their placement in the SD there in that if they open the door they won't get the benefit of the doubt and the judges were eager to reward H/D after a whole season of them not being that eager because H/D stepped it up and were exciting at Worlds. So the Shibs need to do something more if they have higher ambitions than most think they are capable of attaining. I just think it's crazy that one level 2 pattern and still managing a medal and being the one of the few teams to win things and medal at every event last season are now looked on as being hard pressed to medal.

Last edited:

AquaLady

Finally! Thank you for the link! Thank goodness their SD is way better than Bobrova/Soloviev's! A couple of little things to work on here and there, but what an impressive showing for a pair that has just teamed up about 3 months ago. I thought the first step sequence was very clean. Twizzles were good. No-touch midline step sequence needed a bit more polishing, but overall, really great effort from these two. They match very well... I think they have a future...:cheer2:

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Are you kidding ? Their rhumba pattern sucks. HE can't keep up with her in the non touch midline sequence and he's a weak dancer :( She's back to her old self, too bad she didn't do it sooner last season :(

AquaLady

Are you kidding ? Their rhumba pattern sucks. HE can't keep up with her in the non touch midline sequence and he's a weak dancer :( She's back to her old self, too bad she didn't do it sooner last season :(
No, I'm not kidding. For the time they've been skating together, this is good material. He was a bit behind midway through the no-touch midline step sequence, but he catched up and completed a twizzle in unison with Elena towards the end.

ninalovesskating

No, I'm not kidding. For the time they've been skating together, this is good material. He was a bit behind midway through the no-touch midline step sequence, but he catched up and completed a twizzle in unison with Elena towards the end.
And at least they did not miss any steps. LOL!!!!! :swoon:

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Are they going to pantomime it? Averbukh has seriously questionable taste.
She sold the hell out of Ghost. Elena can make garbage look like diamonds.

I was :rofl: every time he lunged after her. Still, their SD is so much better than the current top three Russian couples. I'm cautiously optimistic.

MarieM

Well Nikita puts his bum out, and there is no latin in their SD at all. And they didn't skate well.
S&Bukin ... no words here, she still can't skate and this SD isn't working for them.
Bobrova is sloooooooooow. And no character. And I wonder who taught them the rhumba, it's wrong.

So I get what you see. She can turn a very bad skater in an ok skaters in months. The problem with her is sticking with him and with the motivation. And he has a looaaaaaaaad of work to do.

ichiro

Nikita/ - Didn't feel the latin in this at all
S/B - this dance seems so wrong for them. She still looks junior-ish in this program
B/S - again what was Zulin smoking
I/A - Actually not bad for just 3 months of being together - Hopefully they can continue to improve and push for No 1-2 in russia. Ha

Katha

I hate that it's a Latin SD again in an Olympic year. Does the ISU think this is a good idea? Latin SDs generally suck, almost all the teams embarass themselves. The whole portion of the ice dance competition becomes borderline unwatchable IMO. Yet they do it again. And again. And again. I didn't think that any of the Russian programs were convincing. I'm not expecting anything convincing from most of the other teams either. Perhaps V/M and H/D. That's about it. Blah.

chapis

I think Betina and Sergei have the best program, and she moves really well. Bobrova/Soloviev were in the tests? video?

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
All the russian team's music are pretty much :blah: with the occasional random wtf choices like Chandelier for S/B and Formidable from Stromae for popova/mozgov. What were they thinking :rolleyes: the second-hand embarrassment the season might be cringe-worthy.

sap5

I hate that it's a Latin SD again in an Olympic year. Does the ISU think this is a good idea? Latin SDs generally suck, almost all the teams embarass themselves. The whole portion of the ice dance competition becomes borderline unwatchable IMO. Yet they do it again. And again. And again. I didn't think that any of the Russian programs were convincing. I'm not expecting anything convincing from most of the other teams either. Perhaps V/M and H/D. That's about it. Blah.

I do wish the pattern was a waltz rather than the rumba this year. Waltz is better suited to the ice surface, and why wouldn't the ISU want to showcase that during the Olympics? It's an area where ice dance is better than floor dance.

chapis

Their coach, Ksenia Rumyantseva. She also choreographed both Loboda/Drozd programs (with the help of Benoit Richaud)

I can´t believe you!! :eek:, those are horrible programs, I feel really bad for L/D this season :(

MarieM

There are only two russian teams that can do the rhumba pattern. BobSoloviev & Tiff&Jon. The others are nowhere near where it should be.
I regret that all musics are too traditional but that's what the ISU said it wanted.

MarieM

I think Betina and Sergei have the best program, and she moves really well. Bobrova/Soloviev were in the tests? video?
Their only problem is they can't skate the rhumba pattern at all. She has made loads of progress, but it's not enough.

VGThuy

Can someone provide links to what you feel were the best performed Rhumba patterns of all time? I really would like to get to truly know that pattern before the season starts. I have a general idea of what to look for and I think I can tell a good one from a bad one, but it's more based on impression than actual knowledge.

Lara111

I think that rumba, cha-cha and samba may make ice dance more interesting for people who are not FS fans but watching it may be once during the Olympic year. I think it is good for the sport.

cocotaffy

Can someone provide links to what you feel were the best performed Rhumba patterns of all time? I really would like to get to truly know that pattern before the season starts. I have a general idea of what to look for and I think I can tell a good one from a bad one, but it's more based on impression than actual knowledge.
Torvill/Dean 1984 CD https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YGckC9Tl6yA
Bestemianova/Bukin was good too https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sijtW5eez8s

Lara111

All the russian team's music are pretty much :blah: with the occasional random wtf choices like Chandelier for S/B and Formidable from Stromae for popova/mozgov. What were they thinking :rolleyes: the second-hand embarrassment the season might be cringe-worthy.
I love Formidable music

cocotaffy

I love Formidable music
Oh me too, I really enjoy Stromae's work but it absolutely doesn't fit a Latin SD both rhythmically and the meaning of the song is quite dark so not fitting for a rumba.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information