The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Maybe Tiffani Zagorski also. Her mom had a post last year about her skating solo compulsories.

Yes indeed, Tiff began her career in British solo dance, as did Olivia Smart and Joe Buckland.

Solo dance is very developed in France too, Tiff continued with solo dance when she arrived in France, as it was a route to finding her first partner.

Orm Irian

Yes, it's quite a thing actually. I watched part of the solo competition at Lake Placid last year. I think all of the competitors may have been women. And not surprisingly mostly women who were taller & less likely to be selected for a team, due to the lifts we have just discussed. However, it seems to be a good track for developing skills, nonetheless. Avonley Nguyen, Emily Bratti, and Eva Pate all competed in solo dance prior to working with their current partners. (Avonley was in between partners at the time). Maybe Tiffani Zagorski also. Her mom had a post last year about her skating solo compulsories.

Gabriella Papadakis started out in solo dance before teaming up with Guillaume Cizeron, and I seem to recall seeing some clips of him doing solo dance competitions too. I do think one of the reasons that France tends to punch above its weight in ice dance is that it streams kids into dance very early and has that solo dance culture to help them develop their skills and get competition experience from the start, without having to wait till they find a partner.

synian

Gabriella Papadakis started out in solo dance before teaming up with Guillaume Cizeron, and I seem to recall seeing some clips of him doing solo dance competitions too. I do think one of the reasons that France tends to punch above its weight in ice dance is that it streams kids into dance very early and has that solo dance culture to help them develop their skills and get competition experience from the start, without having to wait till they find a partner.
Here it is : https://www.instagram.com/p/B75704EDfJn/

Ka3sha

I love his posture. And the way he picked up the toys from the ice is adorable :lol:

About seeing potential from a very young age, Linichuk posted a pic of Lobacheva/Averbukh on her Instagram and also talked a bit about her first impression from Ilinykh/Katsalapov in 2005 under that post (since Lobacheva and Averbukh teamed them up and were their first coaches)
(Piseev already keeping an eye on them)

Btw, Linichuk posts quite a lot of archive pics on her Instagram and alsways with some nice captions :)

mjb52

oh that is so funny, I have been thinking about asking about Linichuk/Karpanosov and Dubova for awhile. In my day of first watching skating, they were the top dance coaches but you don't hear about them much anymore - I assume they are still coaching?

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
omg THIS... IS... EVERYTHING: https://www.instagram.com/p/B9GHYLXJnRv/ - I absolutely loved them (K&O), I was heartbroken about her back problems.

Yes!! Thank you for the reminder. One of those teams where 95% of their work is remarkable, including gala programs. Their Malaguena is the only program that lived up to the music, imho. Heartbroken about her back problems, and that they went out on quite... the note... in their final FD. (5%...)

Dobre

Per GS & her facebook page, Carolina Moscheni & Francesco Fioretti have teamed up.

On another random note, did Khavronina & Cirisano not qualify for Russian Junior Nationals? (Speaking of teams that could maybe look into competing for Italy?)

Ka3sha

On another random note, did Khavronina & Cirisano not qualify for Russian Junior Nationals? (Speaking of teams that could maybe look into competing for Italy?)
They withdrew, she caught a flu just few days before the event (if I remember correctly)

Dobre

They withdrew, she caught a flu just few days before the event (if I remember correctly)

Thank you. That's too bad. Mom & I always say that the flu is worse than an injury. It just zaps the competitors of everything.

mjb52

Holy shit.

That's crazy b/c I was actually dimly wondering if Bazin and Popova might team up but thought that was too outlandish to be a possibility, but this is like 90 times more outlandish. I am truly shocked! Best of luck but they seem like a weird fit to me. But you never know, I'll try to keep an open mind!

Dobre

Tech Panel for Junior Worlds:

Caller: Rock LeMay (CAN)
Assistant Caller: Marie-Louise Gijtenbeek (NED)
Controller: Shawn Rettstatt (USA)

I guess the new rule about tech panel members not being from the same country as the top contenders doesn't apply to major internationals at the junior level? Also this is the second year in a row there has been a Canadian & American on the tech panel at Junior Worlds. (LeMay was the assistant caller last year).

Last edited:

mjb52

I thought that panel was for senior Worlds and I was getting ready to freak out, I need to chill. Good vibes only lol, this is me putting positive energy into the universe for all the skaters.

Last edited:

Dobre

I thought that was for senior Worlds and I was getting ready to freak out, I need to chill. Good vibes only lol, this is me putting positive energy into the universe.

I would mention who hasn't been on a single major international panel this season yet, but probably these would be more chill;):

🌴🍦🍧😎

Last edited:

RoseRed

Tech Panel for Junior Worlds:

Caller: Rock LeMay (CAN)
Assistant Caller: Marie-Louise Gijtenbeek (NED)
Controller: Shawn Rettstatt (USA)

I guess the new rule about tech panel members not being from the same country as the top contenders doesn't apply to major internationals at the junior level? Also this is the second year in a row there has been a Canadian & American on the tech panel at Junior Worlds. (LeMay was the assistant caller last year).
I was going to say that maybe the Canadian dance teams aren't considered "top contenders", since although they won a few medals on the JGP, none were in the JGPF, but then Nguyen/Kolesnik definitely are, so I guess it just doesn't apply to juniors.

Dobre

I was going to say that maybe the Canadian dance teams aren't considered "top contenders", since although they won a few medals on the JGP, none were in the JGPF, but then Nguyen/Kolesnik definitely are, so I guess it just doesn't apply to juniors.

Yes. And if the top contenders were determined based on placements at last year's equivalent major internationals (Worlds, Europeans, 4CCs, and what I had thought would be Junior Worlds), then Canada would have been excluded from Junior Worlds also. Does someone have a direct link to that original rule-change announcement? I don't think it was ever clarified how they planned to determine said "top contenders," though I have a vague memory of a post on GS saying that the rule implied the top 5 contenders' countries would be excluded. (Without clarity regarding how retirements like Weaver & Poje's would be handled).

Last edited:

Colonel Green

I didn't expect that. Seemed like their practices were going all right -- but then you only see such a tiny bit on social media, I guess.
Could have been a new setback, or else they just felt it was too much of a risk to perform at this level.

The risk I see for these two long-term is that them being out of competition for the second half of this season has probably helped feed L/L's rise in the eyes of the judges. The gap in scores, which was a chasm at the start of the season, has already narrowed quite a bit.

Now, if we get three spots back in 2021, that doesn't matter, but if we go into the Olympic season with only two and that second spot is between an about-to-retire team and the fresh young team that will be Canada's mascot in the following quad...that's not a scenario that favours the Danadians at all.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Could have been a new setback, or else they just felt it was too much of a risk to perform at this level.

The risk I see for these two long-term is that them being out of competition for the second half of this season has probably helped feed L/L's rise in the eyes of the judges. The gap in scores, which was a chasm at the start of the season, has already narrowed quite a bit.

Now, if we get three spots back in 2021, that doesn't matter, but if we go into the Olympic season with only two and that second spot is between an about-to-retire team and the fresh young team that will be Canada's mascot in the following quad...that's not a scenario that favours the Danadians at all.

It was a rather sudden and drastic rise, for sure. :shuffle: Who knows, maybe Maria-in-the-cocktail-dress will save the third spot.

I feel for Caro and Shane. Goodness knows I hoped for Worlds for them, but not like this, not after the rough season they've had and with everyone lamenting that they're not the Danadians. They're positioned to get blamed for the loss of the spot if it does happen. I just hope Shane has been practicing not falling down, God love him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information