The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstflight

The top 4 teams at NHK received level 4’s on the pattern. The top 3 got their level raised to level 4 upon review. :)

mollymgr

The top 4 teams at NHK received level 4’s on the pattern. The top 3 got their level raised to level 4 upon review. :)
I'm glad at least some teams are getting L4s. Hopefully, more teams can clean everything up to 3s and 4s by GPF. I would hate to see strange placements based on fluky lost levels. When you factor in GOE, it magnifies the error by a lot.
It is a bit hypocritical of the ISU to have videos on why +5 and -5 was needed. They made it sound like +4 and +5 would be a rare thing before implementing this. But as expected, they are handing these out like candy and just making matters worse.

Fear and Gibson definitely have the momentum. I sense a shakeup in dance by Worlds. The judges are definitely rewarding innovative choreography across the board this season. The music might be a little iffy for several teams, but if it holds your interest, it will garner massive points.

ISU dance judging criteria this season- If you make me snooze, you lose.:EVILLE::rofl:

puglover

Although the gold medal is about as sure as it can be for the grand prix - it is shaping up to be a most interesting competition. I personally love lots of what the 2nd - 6th teams have to offer this year. It should be a barn burner. This is where I really hope for an excellent panel who truly judge what they see on the day.

Khaleesi

Curious to see who comes out ahead in the battle between H/D and C/B. C/B have the second highest FD score from the GP events, but their RD has been giving them issues. Hopefully they’ve ironed that out by the final.

Also curious to see how S/K and S/B are judged in the same event.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Can't wait either, what a close group of dancers we have except for P/C. Everyone has a shot. I just regret the Italians couldn't make it but I also don't understand why they change their RD. It was not worse than Grease and it distracted them from rehearsing properly their FD hence the very tense performance and low score at NHK (per Marco's statement in the NHK press conference) Not a good strategy, they needed every bit of points to beat S/B. Shot themselves in the foot. Surprised Babs wasn't a better strategist in this case. Hopefully they can come back strong and try to pull an upset at Europeans.

The two Russian teams are interesting. S/K have the better RD for me but S/B's FD is trendier and less boring. Their total scores, provided disaster, might be very close. Nerves will play a great deal.

The two US teams is a different matter because C/B have the better set of programs but H/D are strong and powerful skaters who can definitely beat them on SS, speed and TES in the RD if they're on that day. The FD though, C/B have definitely the upper hand, pulling a very nice score in the GP, 2 points ahead of any other team. They're getting so confident with this, it will be very very hard to beat. Everyone needs to be on their A game in the RD which will be key.
Very exciting indeed.

From the performances and programs on the GP so far, my favorite podium would be P/C, C/B, G/P
G/P is an other interesting case because I actually don't like any of the programs per say but they delivered them so well ,both technically and with great conviction, in both occasions at SC and Rostelecom, they made them compelling. I'd like them to review their interpretation of their FD though. This is quite the tragic/nostalgic song especially because of the version they chose. I want a bit more of a Emma Thompson in "Love, actually" type of performance here. Way too much smiling going on.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Also curious to see how S/K and S/B are judged in the same event.

Let's see who's on the tech panel/ who's judging, as that will make a big difference between who comes out on top.
S/K undoubtedly have better skating skills, but S/B are more entertaining/fun to watch IMO.
S/K's FD is a snoozefest for me.
I'm always a fan of the underdog, so I'd love S/B to come out on top for once :love:
The result here could be very significant going into the "Hunger Games" in 5 weeks time.

It should be noted that both teams are not as polished as they should be, as both teams lost a lot of Summer training time to injury. Stepanova has had a bad back injury, and Nikita was off the ice for 2 months with I forget what injury.
Injuries seem to be coming thick and fast in ice dance recently.

Last edited:

Bigbird

All I want for Christmas is that C/B beats both Russians overall using that gorgeous FD. Keep it close for the RD then just wow on the FD. I find the skaters get caught up too much with the politics and tense up at these big events.

EDIT: The issue for me with the Russians is the more you watch S/B, no matter how polished and packaged they are and how much personality they have and how she's improved, her posture and skating is just fugly by comparison. For S/K she serves him, she has no real personality, and what you see each time is a team imitating rather than finding their own style. All they've really done is tame him down so that she can keep pace with him and be comfortable, and the judges are artificially pulling them ahead. They have their attributes but they're not head and tails above the rest. They should both be tied with each other, period.

Last edited:

mollymgr

I don't think I have seen teams so close for silver, bronze and placements beyond that. I'm also interested to see where G/P will place in the mix since Worlds will be in Canada and they are now Canada's #1 team. All skating disciplines are going to have nail biting events for once. :watch::lol:

Dobre

Taschlerova & Taschler met their senior Worlds minimums this week so we could have Czech Republic represented at Worlds this season. I think at least five countries that were not represented there last season: Georgia, Korea, Czech Republic, Turkey, & Kazakhstan.

(Probably at least two countries from last season that may not be represented this season: Israel & Estonia. Both have junior teams coming up, however).

The Armenians were about 1.23 away from earning their RD TES in their debut so have a good shot of meeting it, though I wouldn't wait for Europeans to try to get it if I were them.

Gris

不做奴才做公民

According to this interview (in Chinese, done after Cup of China), Wang / Liu's FD this season was initially The Swan by Saint-Saëns. However after practicing for a month Marie-France thought it was too slow and lyrical for them and switched to Black Swan.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Someone posted this about Nikita's twizzles, and I'm still :rofl: over it, especially since I've just been catching up with some of the Rostelecom videos. Preserving it here for posterity.

Dobre

"Tasmanian Twizzles" could definitely be dance fan terminology.

Tasmanian Twizzle: To twizzle by skimming over the ice in wild rotating fashion causing fans to pray thou shalt reach the end of the sequence before disaster strikes.

Note: Not to pick on Nikita. My wonderful Avonley Nguyen has them sometimes too.

zilam98

"Tasmanian Twizzles" could definitely be dance fan terminology.

Tasmanian Twizzle: To twizzle by skimming over the ice in wild rotating fashion causing fans to pray thou shalt reach the end of the sequence before disaster strikes.

Note: Not to pick on Nikita. My wonderful Avonley Nguyen has them sometimes too.

tazmanian twizzle = icedance goal ;)

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Got to thinking about this over the weekend, after NHK was over and it occurred to me that we didn't get a single Footloose RD this season. I'm not sure if it was suggested in the pre-season RD suggestion discussion but I really don't understand how no teams selected this soundtrack - and I'm sure it would have qualified since the original movie was later transformed into a Broadway musical (we won't discuss the travesty that was the 2011 movie re-make).

Maybe some of the teams that are struggling with their RDs this season should consider it if they're going to make a mid-season change. Or consider it for a FD in a season or two.

Dobre

I don’t think we got a Dirty Dancing either. :eek:

We have it in the free. I think it was not foolish for other teams to skip Dirty Dancing. We had three of them three years ago. If it does have a Finnstep, there was always a danger that Kaliszek & Spodyriev might revamp theirs. (As Guignard & Fabbri have now done with Grease). Also while Dirty Dancing is technically a Broadway musical, it is also almost a direct imitation of the movie soundtrack. The songs do not really tell the story, though I assume you would be safe selecting it as it is billed as a musical and the characters sing the words throughout the stage production.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Unless the guy is in the same universe with my beloved Patrick Swayze looks- and charisma-wise, NO Dirty Dancing! :mitchell:

:lol: That's asking for a lot and then some. But I get your drift. The 'looks and charisma-wise' uber-talented ice dancer who fits that description went the Fame route (also reminiscent of A Chorus Line).

Got to thinking about this over the weekend, after NHK was over and it occurred to me that we didn't get a single Footloose RD this season.

There are plenty of musicals that might have worked tremendously well that did not get chosen, including Slaughter on Tenth Avenue, Bye Bye Birdie (similar to Grease, and likely inspired Grease as well), Gershwin's Who Cares? from the old, obscure musical, Of Thee I Sing, et al.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
There are plenty of musicals that might have worked tremendously well that did not get chosen, including Slaughter on Tenth Avenue, Bye Bye Birdie (similar to Grease, and likely inspired Grease as well), Gershwin's Who Cares? from the old, obscure musical, Of Thee I Sing, et al.
Oh, I agree entirely. The lack of diversity in the RD music selections this season is almost as bad as the tangos last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information