The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbird

They did a side by side diagonal run across the rink in the warm-up and the speed looked awesome on TV.
Speed that is Nikita's comfort zone. Extension, lines, control, interpretation those are the things which should make HD and CB superior in my book. But maybe that's due to the so so programs they have this year.

Colonel Green

The issue with ice dance in the Grand Prix Final is that the cutoff between the top three and the bottom three in the free dance makes movement between those two groups difficult even when the scores are close, because the judges essentially instinctively ratchet up the marks for the second group. Whereas at Worlds, the top five after the RD get to skate together, so in theory at least there's more room for movement.

bcash

Wait, I thought I just saw the men skate in one group. Is ID different or did the broadcast just cut out the break?

Colonel Green

Wait, I thought I just saw the men skate in one group. Is ID different or did the broadcast just cut out the break?
The number of entrants at the Grand Prix Final is determined based on the size of a singles flight (6). Not a problem for singles, that's business as usual, but it means that you have more skaters than can go in a single warmup group for pairs (maximum of 4) or dance (maximum of 5). The result is that both the pairs and the dancers have two mini-flights of 3.

The PCS differential between flights can be a slight factor in the pairs, but in ice dance it's borderline-determinative.

C

casken

I don't usually follow juniors, but I watched the JGPF and the young Georgian team that won was fabulous. Probably the best choreographic sequence of any team at any level? I was expecting Chock 2.0 to win while skating a Chock 1.0 FD, but thankfully no.

Also, the young french couple did one of the more interesting Carmen programs I've seen in a while.

heartyxo

Igor doing a Rach 2 FD for N/K really pisses me off.
They have so much potential but they're not gonna find their own original style if Igor keeps giving them copy cat programs. They don't need to be branded as C/B 2.0, they should be allowed to be their own team. Igor fully trying to replace C/B with N/K in his heart is not helping them at all.

C/B's Rach 2 FD was kind of a mess all season but I still think their worlds version is one of the best skates they've ever done

muffinplus

Igor doing a Rach 2 FD for N/K really pisses me off.
They have so much potential but they're not gonna find their own original style if Igor keeps giving them copy cat programs. They don't need to be branded as C/B 2.0, they should be allowed to be their own team. Igor fully trying to replace C/B with N/K in his heart is not helping them at all.

C/B's Rach 2 FD was kind of a mess all season but I still think their worlds version is one of the best skates they've ever done

Yes but forget about that... their interpretation is what is great

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
It was a rather strange GPF though with a lot of nervous skates and uncharacteristic mistakes we haven't seen during the GP. C/B were the most consistent but they still need to improve their RD. H/D haven't improve so much even though they had a long break after their GPs to revamp and reload, this is quite disappointing. As for the Russian, well nervous nervous nervous especially S/K. Thrilled for Gold and silver, I wished the Italians had made it though, in that field with flawless performances they might have taken the Bronze.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
I think if H/D can put an acrobatic lift at the ‘aah’ part of Shallow they would sell the program a lot better.

Right now the straight line one is a bit better than the previous combo lifts but I feel it’s not enough.

Bigbird

Katsalapov never ceases to amaze me. He finds every possible way to get a deduction or to fall on something.
He struggles with stamina and concentration but they were just nervous everything was shaky or wobbly so the judges had to give them low TES. The dance is sort of bland and empty if you don't skate it full out and confidently at the GPF, EC or WC they just will not cut it. Looking at SBs FD as well there is nothing in it. It has some style and sass but not much else. Let's see what they bring next season. No catastrophe here, both teams just need to brush themselves off and come again.

firstflight

Meanwhile, Green/Parsons had the highest FD base value at Golden Spin and was only a point off of Guignard/Fabbri’s TES in the FD (who had an issue with the twizzles). Still more room on this upward trajectory to be in contention for bronze at Nationals? Probably not enough time, but this is a superb result and score for them.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Katsalapov never ceases to amaze me. He finds every possible way to get a deduction or to fall on something (even if that “something” is an element you are supposed to do on your knees)

Maybe we're jumping to conclusions too soon as I just rewatched their ChSl a few times and haven't found anything that would be considered as a fall at all. :eek: It was indeed a bit wobbly, especially on her part though.

firstflight

Maybe we're jumping to conclusions too soon as I just rewatched their ChSl a few times and haven't found anything that would be considered as a fall at all. :eek: It was indeed a bit wobbly, especially on her part though.
The fall was definitely applied to that element. I think it may have been her when she presses the side of her right knee into the ice.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
The fall was definitely applied to that element. I think it may have been her when she presses the side of her right knee into the ice.
She definitely has a big loss of balance but doesn't touch her hand or fall per say. It looks like a harsh calling.
ETA: from the PBP thread a poster mentioned putting a hand down to support oneself during the sliding move is considered a fall yet having rewatched it none of them put a hand down even though Katsalapov is getting dangerously close to the ice. So tough calling imo.

georgiana08

Meanwhile, Green/Parsons had the highest FD base value at Golden Spin and was only a point off of Guignard/Fabbri’s TES in the FD (who had an issue with the twizzles). Still more room on this upward trajectory to be in contention for bronze at Nationals? Probably not enough time, but this is a superb result and score for them.

Ugh, I'm still disappointed we didn't get a stream from GS. I'm so curious to see how much Green/Parsons have improved even just since Warsaw. A month ago I thought for sure they'd place 6th at Nationals, but now I'm not so certain. Definitely think they can at least place ahead of M/C.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
She definitely has a big loss of balance but doesn't touch her hand or fall per say. It looks like a harsh calling.
ETA: from the PBP thread a poster mentioned putting a hand down to support oneself during the sliding move is considered a fall yet having rewatched it none of them put a hand down even though Katsalapov is getting dangerously close to the ice. So tough calling imo.

I think it's a harsh call too. Her arms were flailing but didn't touch the ice.

I actually think today is the best they've ever skated this program so I was confused to see the score (and Nikita being upset in K&C). This call costed them about 4 points, with which they could get bronze.

S/K still received 2nd highest PCS today though, so I don't think they have been 'dumped'.

Last edited:

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
H&D's FD last year made it clear to me that her arms are not especially graceful/balletic. Elegant and musical, yes, but maybe limited. This year's FD should have been a knockout, but I'm bored and annoyed enough that I notice it again. :( I really hope they take time between now and Nationals to spruce their program up. Their RD is as bad as everyone else's, so a bit of a shrug to that. I'm not sure what material they need to do again. How many truly good FD's have they had? 2017/2018, for sure, but even their Tron FD got mixed reviews for awhile. I'm not sure where they go next, other than needing new lifts.

I'm surprised so many aren't into P&C's FD. I think it's wonderful - a natural progression from 2017. There's a new strength to their skating, particularly hers. The poem doesn't bother me any more than bad singing would, and we get enough of that. Their lifts are a step up while still being very much a work of art. This is not normally my taste and can feel a little self-indulgent if not done well, so a massive kudos to them. I hope they deliver the RD like they want to at Europeans or Worlds. It's a great program, but it can look wild when it's not on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information