The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

oleada

zilam98

not yet pertinent for this season but has anyone know of this news:

International Figure Skating
22 hrs ·
Daisuke Takahashi debuted his new short program - the final one as a singles skater - at a show in Japan. This is one I would love to see live!
Takahashi is switching to ice dance after Japanese nationals in December. His partner is Kana Muramoto.

Colonel Green

The race for the bronze medal at JGP Egna will be interesting to see. I, and I think most people, are writing in Lazareva/Prokofiev by default, but they're also something of an unknown quantity (and the Russian teams that have been used essentially to fill gaps in the second half of the JGP have generally not performed to standard). At the same time, the rest of the field isn't exactly packed with contenders either.

Ka3sha

I am hopelessly behind in this thread, but do we have confirmation that Yanovskaya is still skating with Lukacs?

(I am asking because I cannot remember seeing her on any lists yet this season . . . and she is on my could-possibly-skate-with-Soloviev list).

I don't have instagram.
I haven’t seen any official information on them, last thing I heard was that they moved from Zhuk/Svinin to Kustarova.
Checked their instagrams, his last pic is a selfie with Kirill Alyoshin from Medvedkovo ice rink

(Re Soloviev: he spent the whole summer doing shows with Bobrova )

Dobre

Kazakova & Reviya are on the entry list for the senior competition at the Asian Open, which I guess confirms that the plan is to go to Europeans & Worlds presuming they earn their minimumum Senior TES.

Also, Alexey Karpushov (Lopareva's old partner) is listed as competing for China with Junfei Ren.

Bigbird

I much prefer P/C, but right now, S/K have the far better RD. I expect scores to be very close between them this season.

You know this is a life lesson in just how different tastes can be. I find that RD nicely choreographed albeit empty of charisma and poorly executed. They are powerful and fast but they simply skate through the feels of the music. They skate this the way I'd expect any Zhulin team to skate it, for example B/S. I find FB/S much more compelling. When I saw that score I though I'd be amazed by their softness of knees and musicality, but on viewing, I honestly never thought they'd get anything more than 83 or 84 with inflation as usual at these events. But as they say different strokes for different folks.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I find Nikita to be a bit all over the place with his posture. Don't know if it's the suit, please can someone get him a fitted suit already! He's a slender guy and that jacket is just flailing about left and right which accentuates his slouching. 87 for a skate rough around the edges like that, well this isn't the GP I guess. Otoh she has really improved her posture and SS but she now needs to work on her acting and attitude. She looks like a lovely person but lack charisma and projection. He might have it for the both of them but if they are to be in the same league as P/C, she needs to step it up. It's too vanilla. That being said, they have the best old school looking musical for now but this is not as impressive as their last year's tango yet I can see how it will do well with the judges.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
I actually think it's Victoria who would benefit from an outfit change. She'd look gorgeous in a richer color, right now both her dresses seem to wash her out.

S/K has a pretty good RD, it has a light, relaxing kind of charm. However I won't say this is 'far better' than P/C's as I found the latter more entertaining and unique despite the messy execution of second half. Let's see how judges will respond at the GP season.

Peepsquick

I find Nikita to be a bit all over the place with his posture. Don't know if it's the suit, please can someone get him a fitted suit already! He's a slender guy and that jacket is just flailing about left and right which accentuates his slouching. 87 for a skate rough around the edges like that, well this isn't the GP I guess. Otoh she has really improved her posture and SS but she now needs to work on her acting and attitude. She looks like a lovely person but lack charisma and projection. He might have it for the both of them but if they are to be in the same league as P/C, she needs to step it up. It's too vanilla. That being said, they have the best old school looking musical for now but this is not as impressive as their last year's tango yet I can see how it will do well with the judges.

Absolutely what I also think about them this season: Nikita comes across as messy in his movements and the outfit is not helping with the flying coattails. If he ever manages to channel and direct his energy, he will be right up there but for now ...he is an accident waiting to happen. I was also a fan of their Tango last season. I love the classic take of the new rhythm dance but it falls a bit flat. It probably will get better during the season but for now it lacks charisma.

happycamper2554

S/K had me from beginning to end. Do I think its cheesy yes. But in my opinion Broadway has to be a little campy and I'm here for it. I'm not sold on her outfit but other then that give them all the points.

Dobre

I really don't think we are going to get a feel for how the top 7 teams will score against each other until they start competing against each other. Especially with Hubbell & Donohue and Stepanova & Bukin not even competing until SA.

Colonel Green

I really don't think we are going to get a feel for how the top 7 teams will score against each other until they start competing against each other. Especially with Hubbell & Donohue and Stepanova & Bukin not even competing until SA.
I'd agree, though the odd thing for me so far as far as the RD scoring, in particular, goes is that the Challengers have revealed an unmistakable scoring boost for teams outside the Big 7, taking a lot of teams from the mid-60s into the 70s and from the low 70s to the mid- or even upper-70s (and obviously, F-B/S' surge into scoring identically to the Big 7). But there's been no commensurate surge for the Big 7, who are still in the 80-ish range they were at in Saitama.

mjb52

Finally watched P & C's RD. They are in trouble. I think the first part is ok but the second part is dull. I have been here before. I've seen teams I loved have bad material and it sucks. I know it hurts. But their material this season (imo, of course) is bad. Although I guess in fairness I don't really think the FD is bad in and of itself, I think it has a lot of potential, the question is whether they can find a way to get rid of the poem without losing face.

Last edited:

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
I much prefer P/C, but right now, S/K have the far better RD. I expect scores to be very close between them this season.
I love the choreography I am seeing from both teams. At this point in time, S&K look a bit better trained in their RD so this season it could be a strength for them .We'll see how this season progresses. I have to say I am a bit disappointed in S&K's FD and I actually think they may lose some ground with it :shuffle: .

Last edited:

Dobre

I'd agree, though the odd thing for me so far as far as the RD scoring, in particular, goes is that the Challengers have revealed an unmistakable scoring boost for teams outside the Big 7, taking a lot of teams from the mid-60s into the 70s and from the low 70s to the mid- or even upper-70s (and obviously, F-B/S' surge into scoring identically to the Big 7). But there's been no commensurate surge for the Big 7, who are still in the 80-ish range they were at in Saitama.

I don't know. I think it's still too early to know. I think we're getting some movement, but with early events it's so often about how the scoring runs at different events. Because the top teams aren't going up against each other, and even when the mid-range teams do, you've usually got someone skating near home or someone mucking up because they are at a more developmental stage of the competitive process. (I mean, I don't really see the point in trying to judge where S&K are relative to the larger field based on either their comparatively lower Nepela scores two weeks ago or comparatively high RD score at a non-ISU event this week).

Skate America is going to be a real test for some of these escalating scores because the judges are going to have to separate that field. (They had to separate teams at Lombardia also, where there were so many teams in that battle for the bronze).

A few contradictory thoughts about teams that are scoring many points higher this pre-season than last year:

F-B&S are getting a scoring surge that . . . well . . . is probably not unconnected to the fact that Weaver & Poje are out and Canada needs both teams to move up if they are going to get three spots for next season. Last year F-B&S weren't even competing the regular season so obviously they are in a better place right now. But how much of one, I don't know.

Hurtado & Khaliavin also scored high at Nepela, despite a botched lift. We wait a little and see if they can repeat and/or improve on that elsewhere. They don't have very deep GP events. SC isn't Zhulin's territory, but still top 4 seems very doable there. And the Rostelecom podium appears to be a cakewalk relative to most of the events. H&K's first heavy-duty field will be Europeans.

Carreira & Ponomarenko had two CS events early--one at home with very little competition and one against very serious competition in the form of Hawayek & Baker. Still we wait & see what happens when C&P aren't on Igor's turf . . . if they are ever not on Igor's turf this season? They skate at home for SA. There's no one at the top at the Asian Open. NHK should be pretty neutral territory for C&P.

Fear & Gibson are scoring high, but didn't pass C&P. (Which means I don't know if F&G are actually moving or not).

The space behind last year's top 8 teams was always unlikely to last. Teams @10-20 points back (several of whom are not yet listed above) were earning comparable and in several cases superior levels. Those teams didn't have the experience & had a lot of proving to do last year. But there were a lot of opportunities to prove oneself last year. 10-20 point gaps are not normal in dance. They usually do get filled.

Last edited:

kittysk8ts

Finally watched P & C's RD. They are in trouble. I think the first part is ok but the second part is dull. I have been here before. I've seen teams I loved have bad material and it sucks. I know it hurts. But their material this season (imo, of course) is bad. Although I guess in fairness I don't really think the FD is bad in and of itself, I think it has a lot of potential, the question is whether they can find a way to get rid of the poem without losing face.
I have to disagree, respectfully. The public feedback has been amazing for both programs and their scores not too shabby either. I know it was French Masters, but I do not see any reason to believe that international panels will not appreciate their material. Of course, we shall have to wait and see :)

mjb52

Well in fairness being in trouble for P & C may mean winning by 10 points instead of 20 or whatever. But it's always dangerous to let the air of invincibility/inevitability surrounding you be punctured.

deegee

Well in fairness being in trouble for P & C may mean winning by 10 points instead of 20 or whatever. But it's always dangerous to let the air of invincibility/inevitability surrounding you be punctured.
i think its nice and exciting for fans of the sport to see some risk-taking like this. and its a learning experience for pap-ciz and and their team to see just how far they can go outside their natural comfort and still succeed.

i love the rd but, like you, loathe that damned poem for the fd. and i hope they get some input from some better contemporary dancers/choreographers than the in-house guy they are currently using.

bcash

Absolutely what I also think about them this season: Nikita comes across as messy in his movements and the outfit is not helping with the flying coattails. If he ever manages to channel and direct his energy, he will be right up there but for now ...he is an accident waiting to happen. I was also a fan of their Tango last season. I love the classic take of the new rhythm dance but it falls a bit flat. It probably will get better during the season but for now it lacks charisma.

I don't understand why Zhulin can't correct his shoulder position when twizzling, but definitely do away with shoulder pads because they make his shoulders look like they are as high as his ears.

That's my only complaint about their skating now. Sinitsina is skating lovely and confident, with both speed and softness.

Colonel Green

With the JGP Italy results in, we now have the dance spot distribution for the 2020 Youth Olympics. I've included the highest-ranked teams they had on the JGP, for comparison.

Canada (2)
1. D'Alessandro/Waddell (SB 152.76)
2. Makita/Gunara (SB 154.11)

Based on Skate Canada's announced criteria, these are the teams that have earned selection.

Russia (2)
1. Tyutyunina/Shustitsky (SB 154.39)
2. ???

Russia had only one YOG-eligible team competing on the JGP. Andreeva/Desyatov are also eligible, and were scheduled to compete, but had to withdraw. There's obviously a whole bunch more on the domestic scene, so that second slot is getting filled.

United States (1)
1. Wolfkostin/Chen (SB 148.81)

Narrowly ahead of the Browns in personal best score, but considering both teams' PBs come from competitions where they had major errors, there's room for both to improve.

Georgia (1)
1. ???

There was only one Georgian team on the JGP, and they aren't eligible. This spot may be given back, unless they've got another hidden away somewhere.

France (1)
1. Fradji/Fourneaux (SB 128.77)

Ukraine (1)
1. Cherniavska/Muratov (SB 125.28)

Italy (1)
1. Tuba/Tuba (SB 118.09)

Switzerland (1)
1. ???

No Swiss teams at all on the JGP. Another spot that may be ceded back.

Czech Republic (1)
1. Cimlova/Hlavsa (SB 111.22)

Japan (1)
1. Yoshida/Nishiyama (SB 140.40)
-----

In line to take any vacant spots:

Estonia
1. Netjaga/Gaidajenko (SB 121.86)

United Kingdom
1. ???

No eligible UK teams on the JGP.

Israel
1. Nosovitskaya/Nosovitskiy (SB 128.15)

Dobre

And will teams only need to commit for this period of time? I know it sounds like a strange question to ask, but the last time around a poster stated that athletes had to stay throughout the duration of the Youth Olympic Games. (I'm guessing this was inaccurate and that what the poster was really trying to say or had misinterpreted was that it would be more expensive than most events, assuming an athlete would want to stay throughout the duration. Rather than that athletes had to commit for the full time span). I mean, staying throughout would no doubt be an amazing experience, but team envelope placement and funding is attached to results at Nationals.

Colonel Green

And will teams only need to commit for this period of time?
I don't know, though I can't imagine why they'd be required to stay the whole time. People leave the regular Olympics after their events all the time.

But as far as funding goes, I'd imagine the USFSA would make an exception for something like the Youth Olympics, given that they'd be selecting the athletes to go in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information