The Dance Hall 5: Ice Dance Fans 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuge

S&Bukin have started the season not so good at Finlandia but rebounded very well at COR. IMO they should have been second in the FD . And that is despite their horrid music.

I've always really liked them since juniors.
I love the FD.Watched it a few times now and honestly the music doesn't bother me as much:p It's actually so bad it's good if you know what I mean:D It's quite catchy too.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
I've always really liked them since juniors.
I love the FD.Watched it a few times now and honestly the music doesn't bother me as much:p It's actually so bad it's good if you know what I mean:D It's quite catchy too.
I understand what you mean, and I bet by season's end I'll be able not to switch the sound off :D
But I'm not there yet !;)

VGThuy

For those of you who seriously cannot watch Step/Buk's FD because of the music, is it the quality of the singers or is it the is it the lyrics? The song seems to be a more-of-less literal translation of Listz's "O Lieb So Lang", which is why it's so funny sounding in English. I've heard a lot worse in skating, so I don't mind the music so much. At first, I was taken aback but I've gotten used to it already.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I don't understand people who say they turn off the sound if a skater is using music they don't like. I understand having difficulty enjoying a program because you dislike a song. But if you go so far as to turn it off then I don't know how you can give an opinion about the placements of a competition or any opinion on the program you mute. Half the skaters out there pick what I consider to be lousy music but I still watch with the sound on to get the whole impact of something they worked all off season to put together because a good skater can make a lousy song great if they work well with it, in fact it can be a measure of how well they are doing if you can be drawn into the performance because they are really skating to it.

chapis

For those of you who seriously cannot watch Step/Buk's FD because of the music, is it the quality of the singers or is it the is it the lyrics? The song seems to be a more-of-less literal translation of Listz's "O Lieb So Lang", which is why it's so funny sounding in English. I've heard a lot worse in skating, so I don't mind the music so much. At first, I was taken aback but I've gotten used to it already.

though I prefer it without lyrics, the problem really are the singers for me, omg you made me listen it again ugh :fragile:, If they had asked me to sing the song, there would not be much difference . And to combine a classical sound with a random singer is :huh: .

sap5

I don't understand that comment by Ilinykh. The Shibs, per their bio and what I watched, says they are doing a mamba, cha cha and samba. I saw nothing in that SD that would resemble they were attempting a rhumba whatsoever and they do the rhumba pattern right away to the "mamba" section of their SD. Since the steps in the rhumba pattern are pre-determined for many years what could she possible be referring to when she says it's an unusal rhumba with some interesting steps? She isn't the first person I see say something like this.

What's a mamba? Some combination of rumba and mambo?

VGThuy

I think Elena was talking about how the Shibs added extra moves and details while doing the prescribed Rhumba steps. We've seen teams go above and beyond the prescribed pattern steps with extra flair so long as it does not interfere with the actual steps and the keypoints.

I guess it just takes watching their pattern here: https://youtu.be/aREBn2rFtN4?t=55 and comparing it with a bunch of other teams of multiple levels (or seasons) to see exactly what details Elena was talking about.

chapis

At the moment.

thanks. At the moment I think S/D have more potential because they have a better coaching team, though I think H/K have more talent. I prefer the SD of S/D and the FD of H/K. I hope Sara fix her twizzles, she always has problems with it. I mean, she trains with Nikita, if he could get decent twizzles, she can too :cheer2:

Ka3sha

thanks. At the moment I think S/D have more potential because they have a better coaching team, though I think H/K have more talent. I prefer the SD of S/D and the FD of H/K. I hope Sara fix her twizzles, she always has problems with it. I mean, she trains with Nikita, if he could get decent twizzles, she can too :cheer2:
While I really enjoy Olivia&Adria's SD this season (one of the best dances, in my opinion), I don't like Olivia's skating.. She is slow, she doesn't have great edges, her knees are stiff, she skates on two feet a lot. I'm still really shocked that they were ahead of Lorraine&Kevin at Autumn Classic :shuffle:

chapis

While I really enjoy Olivia&Adria's SD this season (one of the best dances, in my opinion), I don't like Olivia's skating.. She is slow, she doesn't have great edges, her knees are stiff, she skates on two feet a lot. I'm still really shocked that they were ahead of Lorraine&Kevin at Autumn Classic :shuffle:

I've been paying her more attention this season and she's really quite technically deficient, I was also surprised by their placement in that competition.

Ka3sha

I've been paying her more attention this season and she's really quite technically deficient, I was also surprised by their placement in that competition.
She has improved a lot since the times she skated for Britain with Buckland but she is still weaker than Adria. I don't think that both Adria and Sara are great in terms of skating as well (in comparison with teams from top-8 or top-10 at Worlds) but they were equally matched and it wasn't too conspicuous. And they are still better than Olivia.

Areski

She has improved a lot since the times she skated for Britain with Buckland but she is still weaker than Adria. I don't think that both Adria and Sara are great in terms of skating as well (in comparison with teams from top-8 or top-10 at Worlds) but they were equally matched and it wasn't too conspicuous. And they are still better than Olivia.

I also noticed that difference between these two. People whine about Alexandra Stepanova, but Olivia Smart does not hold a candle to her and that is saying much.

At ACI it was even more striking than usually, maybe also slightly off-form? I keep my fingers crossed for them though esp. as I prefer them to represent Spain in Pyeong Chang.

Dobre

So..... what do you think of Smart/Diaz ATM?

I think they were a disaster at the U.S. Classic and had a very nice FD performance at Autumn Classic. I don't think anything of the SD, but I like the FD much better for them than last season. It suits their relationship on the ice. The one lift will be fab if they perform it on the music. They are getting level 1 on the rhumba pattern--which isn't that unusual at the moment but ultimately they will have to fix it if they want to survive the SD. In general, though, I think the twizzles are their make or break element.

I like Hurtado & Khaliavin's FD even better than Smart & Diaz's. Sara's personality really comes across. I don't remember H&K's SD. And, again, I think the twizzles are their make or break element. I'd like to see this be a real battle. But--as far as I've read--we're still waiting on confirmation of whether either team is being excused for the Olympics from the three-years-since-your-last-competition-for-another-federation rule. Someone hypothesized that S&D had the advantage there since they are only short about a month. If S&D are the only team to have permission to compete at the Olympics, then they will have the political advantage. If both teams get permission, I think we could have a nice battle.

Either way, I'd like to see both teams stay in & see what they can make of these new partnerships.

Last edited:

lauravvv

though I prefer it without lyrics, the problem really are the singers for me, omg you made me listen it again ugh :fragile:, If they had asked me to sing the song, there would not be much difference . And to combine a classical sound with a random singer is :huh: .
But Roger Daltrey is not a random singer. He is the lead singer of the legendary band 'The Who' (you may not have heard of it, though, if you are not much into classical rock, since they are neither The Beatles, The Rolling Stones or Queen). This version of 'Love's Dream' is from the soundtrack of the movie 'Lizstomania' (from 1975) for which Rick Wakeman, a classic rock pianist and composer, and one of the leaders of another legendary band 'Yes' (again, you may not have heard of it and Wakeman himself if you are not into classical rock), made his versions/arrangements of classical pieces from Lizst and other composers. No wonder that he invited Daltrey to sing this piece as he was one of the major star singers of the rock scene at the time. I don't know what happened to his singing here to make him sound as an old man with a trembling voice, though, as he did not sound that way when singing with The Who.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I was wondering if more people in the community would notice Carol Lane's commentary and comment on it.

starrynight

It has crossed over from expressing disappointment at their own scores to being a directed attack on Bobrova/Soloviev, so it's not surprising Soloviev is upset by it all. Piper was cheering on Carol Lane in the comments under the video (as reposted by TSL), so she clearly approves of Lane's remarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information