The Dance Hall 5: Ice Dance Fans 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

legjumper

Are Charlene and Marco dating? He kissed her hand before the start of the FD.
How about Laurence and Nikolaj? They've had at least one quick lip kiss in the K&C.
And Madison and Evan? Occasional posts on Instagram seems to suggest they are together, but it's not acknowledged officially, right?
Charlene and Marco are openly an off-ice couple, and if you've been following Madison and Evan on social media, it's all but officially confirmed that they have become an off-ice couple as well.

Dobre

:cheer2:Yay, Shibs! For the win in Russia and a strong debut.

And, yay, the GP season has begun. Countdown to my flight to Skate Canada is three days.

Also, adding a few level 4s to the rhumba pattern list. New additions in bold.

Shibutanis-Rostelecom Cup
Coomes & Buckland-Cup of Nice
Turkkila & Versluis-Finlandia
Papadakis & Cizeron-Finlandia
Torn & Partanen-Nebelhorn

Virtue & Moir-Autumn Classic
Bobrova & Soloviev-Ondrej Nepela, etc.
Hubbell & Donohue-U.S. Classic
McNamara & Carpenter-Lake Placid International

Note: I’ve decided to just include the term, “etc.,” for teams that earn more than one level 4 and to leave the first event on the list.

nimi

Madi and Evan are dating the Spanish team. She lives with Adria Diaz and he is with Olivia Smart. They are pretty open about that.
No, that's Madi and Zach who are dating Adria and Olivia, respectively.

ninalovesskating

Wow, wow, wow. So impressed with S/B @ Rostelecom. I feel like they have really improved from finlandia. Poor G/P tho. Piper is really showing how unhappy she is on social media... Good debut for Popova/Mozgov.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Loved the Shibs' SD but the costumes were hideous (sorry, but that flesh coloured shirt, ugh).

Wow, it really just comes down to personal taste.... because I think after Mariah Bell's free dress The Shibs SD was the best costume so far this season. The colors were absolutely PERFECT I thought. STUNNING! In opposition with you I thought their Free costumes a bit on the dull side.

In another forum I was talking about a lot of the pairs music choices that make Lana Del Rey look uplifting and inspirational, and others told me how much they love some of those downer music selections.

I guess everything really is personal taste because I think The Shibs in their SD are S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G!!!!!

Jeanne7

Wow, it really just comes down to personal taste.... because I think after Mariah Bell's free dress The Shibs SD was the best costume so far this season. The colors were absolutely PERFECT I thought. STUNNING! In opposition with you I thought their Free costumes a bit on the dull side.

In another forum I was talking about a lot of the pairs music choices that make Lana Del Rey look uplifting and inspirational, and others told me how much they love some of those downer music selections.

I guess everything really is personal taste because I think The Shibs in their SD are S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G!!!!!

Well, of course it's "personal taste" - it couldn't be anything else ;) - what appeals aesthetically is entirely subjective. I admit that when the camera panned in on the Ships, the flesh colour looked -- well, less flesh coloured, but on the ice at a distance - awful, IMHO.

Dobre

Poor G/P tho.

Gilles & Poirier were in a tough spot. They had a tough draw, up against a team ranked only one place below them at Worlds and now skating at home. I think wait & see what happens in neutral territory.

Just as I felt about Cappellini & Lanotte's result below Gilles & Poirier at Skate Canada last season. Wait & see. See what G&P can accomplish before Skate America.

I do think Stepanova & Bukin are an upward moving, young team. They are in a great place heading into the turnover post-Olympics. But just two weeks ago, they were facing a level 1 Rhumba pattern call (from a panel with a Canadian tech caller) and a pretty disappointing score at Finlandia. This is such an interesting part of the season. We get to see how different panels react to new programs and how much teams grow their programs from event to event. But we also see teams skating at home vs. teams skating far away from it. It takes awhile to see the larger patterns & how teams will respond to the tough away-game feedback.

Last edited:

chapis

Mariah's dress is indeed out of this world, someone knows who is the designer?

Sylvia

TBD

Anyasnake

Looking at the Grand Prix assignments, barring disasters, V/M, P/C and Shibs are going to the GP final. Shibs already won here, and I don't see them loosing to C/L in America at all. Bobrova/Soloviev need to beat C/B in China to assure a spot, but I definitely see them qualify. H/D have V/M twice against them, WeaPo in Canada and C/L in NHK, so it's going to be 10 times harder than last years to qualify. WeaPo have tough competition in France too.
Well. It's going to be about 2nd and 3rd place and the points are actually going to matter this time to qualify. A lot.

RoseRed

What do you mean? What is our girl doing? I love this team. Everything about them!!!!
She's making it pretty clear that she feels the scoring was unfair. She posted on Instagram about the event "A score’s a score, but it was sure fun performing for our fans in Russia!!...".
On twitter she retweeted someone who said "You got hosed. Again." And yesterday she tweeted "It's a good thing I love to skate..." A few skaters replied with supportive comments.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Looking at the Grand Prix assignments, barring disasters, V/M, P/C and Shibs are going to the GP final. Shibs already won here, and I don't see them loosing to C/L in America at all. Bobrova/Soloviev need to beat C/B in China to assure a spot, but I definitely see them qualify. H/D have V/M twice against them, WeaPo in Canada and C/L in NHK, so it's going to be 10 times harder than last years to qualify. WeaPo have tough competition in France too.
Well. It's going to be about 2nd and 3rd place and the points are actually going to matter this time to qualify. A lot.

Agree. The fields are very even, and the other 3 spots are up between C/L, B/S, C/B, H/D and W/P. I didn't look at all the scenarios, but two silvers should get a team in, and then possibly a silver+bronze with high scores. If there's lot of movement, between events, there may be more silver+bronze combos for how the teams are distributed.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Only C/L have it slightly easier in that they only face V/M at skate Canada, and B/S had it slightly easier in only facing the Shibs in Russia. In the other 4 events there are two of the 5 above mentioned teams, plus one of the world podium from last year (which I assume will place ahead).
There even could be 3 teams at 30 pts, 1 at 26, and many with 24.
That said, ice is slippery, scores are weird, and politiks are tricky.

Dobre

Agree. The fields are very even, and the other 3 spots are up between C/L, B/S, C/B, H/D and W/P. I didn't look at all the scenarios, but two silvers should get a team in, and then possibly a silver+bronze with high scores. If there's lot of movement, between events, there may be more silver+bronze combos for how the teams are distributed.

The top teams are very well distributed this season. (Pretty miraculous considering Helsinki). I think a silver & bronze are quite likely to do it, but we could easily get a tie-breaker between several teams with silver & bronze. Or we could get a bunch of teams with two silver.

Just getting started.

Bobrova/Soloviev need to beat C/B in China to assure a spot, but I definitely see them qualify.

Boy, I don't see any "definitely" qualifiers for any team with less than gold in the first event. B&S have a great shot. But I think all of the five teams listed above have a good shot. Plus, tie-breakers could easily come down to late-season scores.

AngieNikodinovLove

She's making it pretty clear that she feels the scoring was unfair. She posted on Instagram about the event "A score’s a score, but it was sure fun performing for our fans in Russia!!...".
On twitter she retweeted someone who said "You got hosed. Again." And yesterday she tweeted "It's a good thing I love to skate..." A few skaters replied with supportive comments.

I will say this.. They are my favorite team (I CANT get enough of them).... right up there with The Shibs, Guignard & Fabbri, Papa& Ciz and it was indeed weird to see them for the first time Not on the podium... but Steps & Buks improved in glorious ways.....

Is it wrong that I want to come home after a longggggg day and see Poirier and Buks there waiting for me on the sofa?????

ninalovesskating

What do you mean? What is our girl doing? I love this team. Everything about them!!!!
Check out her social media. It's not only her. Their coach Carol Lane too. I listened to her commentary at CBC and my oh my are they bitter. She kept saying "But it's Russia..." Well yeah it's true that Russia has always played their politics but you can't be saying those things when the team who won third won third for a reason. Yes, home advantage may have played a part but remember, this is an international panel. They have to face the fact that S/B skated well. Even better than B/S.

AngieNikodinovLove

Side note: I do believe in the whole home ice advantage... as much as I don't want to..

Last year didn't Wags and Bell go 1 - 2? And a year or two before that Wags and Gao went 1 -2. Knierims have won the Short 2 seasons ago as did Max Aaron.... Chockates usually win SkAm..... Trying to think of more....

lol, is there some unspoken rule that host country entries automatically get a boost? If so I could only Imagine what my Dear Carolina would score if we had Gran Prix Milano!!!!!!!

nimi

They have to face the fact that S/B skated well. Even better than B/S.
Do you also agree with Popova/Mozgov's FD scores being that close to G/P? The difference was less than 3 points...

Also, P/M getting higher marks for SS than Parsons, dunno...

My dislike for S/B's music is so strong I can't even pretend to be objective about their PCS marks (I hit MUTE at a couple of points TBH), but several 9s for SS, CO and IN... really? Were they THAT good?

Re: BobSol... I like the program but I found the spin mistake quite disruptive. Apparently the judges didn't as it didn't seem to affect their PCS (PE 9+ and almost as high as Shibs)

(FD protocol)

Last edited:

chapis

My dislike for S/B's music is so strong I can't even pretend to be objective about their PCS marks (I hit MUTE at a couple of points TBH), but several 9s for SS, CO and IN... really? Were they THAT good?

(FD protocol)

I know, I have intended to watch their FD of Rostelecom because a lot of people say they have done it pretty well, but I have not had the courage to hear that music again :wuzrobbed

Anyasnake

Check out her social media. It's not only her. Their coach Carol Lane too. I listened to her commentary at CBC and my oh my are they bitter. She kept saying "But it's Russia..." Well yeah it's true that Russia has always played their politics but you can't be saying those things when the team who won third won third for a reason. Yes, home advantage may have played a part but remember, this is an international panel. They have to face the fact that S/B skated well. Even better than B/S.
The same thing could be said about Canada, or USA though (I could add France but with less extent : they have one top ID team, but not 2, and one excellent pair too, not 2, so I'll see at TDF) . In Dance you won't see it or at least notice it with V/M that much because they are no.1 and are clearly above the field, but let's see H/D vs WeaPo and who does actually better this weekend vs the scoring. And saying "But it's Russia" that many times on TV, that's a bit rude. I get why she would be angry in the SD because S/B didn't have the best pattern but in the free, they were awesome, you can't argue with that.
The placement were correct at the end.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
If W/P place over H/D This weekend that won't help your theory much as on paper W/P have consistently placed above H/D at worlds for some years and last worlds were only 0.38 from taking bronze over the Shibs. Having said all that I expect it to be close between the two and maybe an upset.

As for G/P I don't think they are as good as they think they are and the teams they sandwiched in between are the teams they are close to. I also think their choice of FD really bizarre considering where most of the competitions are for them this season. I think it's pretty specific to a NA audience but even Kurt said during commentary it needs more acting and I choose to read into that that he was finding a polite way ( because Carol Lane was beside him) of saying the interpretation needs serious work because the whole thing is a big wtf. mayb if Carol Lane picked a lane (coach or commentator) her team might benefit from her being at competitions and hearing firsthand feedback.

Jammers

If W/P place over H/D This weekend that won't help your theory much as on paper W/P have consistently placed above H/D at worlds for some years and last worlds were only 0.38 from taking bronze over the Shibs. Having said all that I expect it to be close between the two and maybe an upset.

As for G/P I don't think they are as good as they think they are and the teams they sandwiched in between are the teams they are close to. I also think their choice of FD really bizarre considering where most of the competitions are for them this season. I think it's pretty specific to a NA audience but even Kurt said during commentary it needs more acting and I choose to read into that that he was finding a polite way ( because Carol Lane was beside him) of saying the interpretation needs serious work because the whole thing is a big wtf. mayb if Carol Lane picked a lane (coach or commentator) her team might benefit from her being at competitions and hearing firsthand feedback.
I don't get that. Why is she doing commentary instead of being with her team in the K&C? She's their coach that's where she should be.

lauravvv

Only C/L have it slightly easier in that they only face V/M at skate Canada, and B/S had it slightly easier in only facing the Shibs in Russia.
C/L also face H/D at Skate Canada. Of course, we haven't seen C/L in competition yet this season, but, based on what we know at the moment, H/D is just as serious a competition for them, as, for instance, C/B and B/S are to each other. Or did you meam NHK where C/L indeed face only V/M, as G/P don't seem to be that serious a competition for them at the moment?

Edit: I got it all mixed up (as did you with Skate Canada ;)). See my next post.

As for G/P I don't think they are as good as they think they are and the teams they sandwiched in between are the teams they are close to. I also think their choice of FD really bizarre considering where most of the competitions are for them this season. I think it's pretty specific to a NA audience but even Kurt said during commentary it needs more acting and I choose to read into that that he was finding a polite way ( because Carol Lane was beside him) of saying the interpretation needs serious work because the whole thing is a big wtf.
Why is it wtf (according to you):confused:? And do you mean their interpretation of the FD or also the FD in itself? In any case, while I would agree that S/B simply skated good enough to overtake G/P in Russia, I seriously disagree about G/P's FD. Yes, I agree that it's probably too North American for a season when Olympics are in Asia and Worlds are in Europe, and probably not all people in Asia and Europe will get it, but I myself am European, and I have no problem "getting" it. It's not like all people in Europe and, I think, also in Asia, have never seen at least the most famous Film Noir movies, even if they haven't seen the specific 'Perry Mason' show etc. (I haven't seen it either, but I have seen other Film Noir movies, and I do get the vibe of G/P's FD). Naturally, there are a lot of younger people who haven't seen those old movies simply because they are not interested in anything "old" and anything that's not current at all, but those people won't know about a lot of other themes and music used in figure skating either.

But, whatever you think, I have read a lot of positive opinions about G/P's FD at least on this forum and also Golden Skate, including from people who are not North American. You are the first person whose comment about their FD I have read who is calling it "wtf". And that includes not just the FD itself, but also G/P's interpretation of/in it.

Last edited:

Dobre

Oh, no, not in those particular areas.

But Gilles & Poirier's scores from Skate Canada didn't hold up anywhere outside of SC last year either.

C/L also face H/D at Skate Canada.

Cappellini & Lanotte face Hubbell & Donohue at NHK. Not at Skate Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information