Something "kids" today wouldnt know about....

once_upon

Better off than 2020
When was that? It has to be in the 50s or earlier as all our cars had gas gauges. OTOH, my first car has a gas gauge but it didn't work. :)

Explain, please.

I’d bet for the parking meter.
No

Back in my Jr high days, a feminine pad was 5 cents. But five pennies could not be used. Needed a nickel for the dispenser

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Back in my Jr high days, a feminine pad was 5 cents. But five pennies could not be used. Needed a nickel for the dispenser
I vaguely remember the pad and tampon dispensers and they only took one coin (nickel, dime, quarter) and that was it. But I think they were already a dime by the time I was using them. And at some point they became free!

Vagabond

555-1212. I used to listen to that for minutes on end. So relaxing.
AKAIK, 555 was and still is a prefix that was never actually used, which is why it was commonly used for numbers in movies and television shows.

Where I grew up, the prefix was PO7 (767) for the time, and WE6 (936) for the weather, and the last four digits could be anything.

The number I dialed for the time was always POP-CORN. 🍿

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I vaguely remember the pad and tampon dispensers and they only took one coin (nickel, dime, quarter) and that was it. But I think they were already a dime by the time I was using them. And at some point they became free!
Still not free here. I think now they are up to 50 cents.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
No power steering, no power brakes. Driving was actually a workout
My first car had no power steering and no aircon. It went through three of us kids before finally kicking the bucket.

Tape-delayed F1. I remember watching Mark Webber get that Nurburgring podium on tape delay, as late as 2007. The only race we'd get live was Melbourne. I don't think we started getting all of them live until 2009/2010.

My first job was with the first iteration of home delivery from one of our major supermarkets - at the time, you could call the special number and order right out of the catalogue.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Calling for the time or the weather
I remember using the pay phone in the little vestibule between the auditorium and the lobby at the New York State Theater at each intermission of the ballet to call Sports Phone to get the Super Bowl score the year the NY Giants were in it.

Reactions: Rob

MacMadame

Doing all the things
My first job was with the first iteration of home delivery from one of our major supermarkets - at the time, you could call the special number and order right out of the catalogue.
My first job, not counting my odd jobs business, was to deliver this weekly shopping paper. These days they just mail them. I think it cost too much to mail them back then.

just tuned in

AKAIK, 555 was and still is a prefix that was never actually used, which is why it was commonly used for numbers in movies and television shows.

Where I grew up, the prefix was PO7 (767) for the time, and WE6 (936) for the weather, and the last four digits could be anything.

The number I dialed for the time was always POP-CORN. 🍿
Where I lived it was 555-1212.

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
The smell of Neutragena soap immediately brings back teenaged memories. As does Love baby Soft which they still make. Obsession smells like my first real job in the ‘80s. Dune (the perfume not the movie) smells like the ‘90s.

It makes total sense to me that sense of smell is right next to memory in the brain.

For me, it's the smell of Noxema. Every girl on the swim team had it in her kit bag.

My first grown up perfume was Chloe. They still sell it in France and I have some.

Reactions: Rob

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
AKAIK, 555 was and still is a prefix that was never actually used
I believe it was used by the phone company for internal phone company numbers and for.....
Where I lived it was 555-1212.
Yup, I remember calling that number.
My first grown up perfume was Chloe. They still sell it in France and I have some.
It's still sold in the US. I buy it for a friend for Christmas every few years.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
The smell of Neutragena soap immediately brings back teenaged memories. As does Love baby Soft which they still make. Obsession smells like my first real job in the ‘80s. Dune (the perfume not the movie) smells like the ‘90s.

It makes total sense to me that sense of smell is right next to memory in the brain.
Almond scented lotion - always reminds me of my grandmother and puts me in a nostalgic mood.

Vagabond

I can remember - just barely - when phone numbers here were seven digits, not eight.
I can remember when phone numbers in some British villages had three digits. People there used to answer their phones by saying the name of their village and their phone number.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I remember party lines had rings/wind ups. Tillie's number was ring, Lydia's was 2 rings, Grandma's was 3 rings, Bill and Louise was 4.

The wind up only phones (like this Pyle Vintage/Classic Style Corded Phone - Retro Design Landline Telephone, Antique Wall-Mount Phone https://a.co/d/0ro9lxk)

Of course everyone was on the call anyway (you just covered the speaker with your hand) and everyone knew everyone was on the line.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Oh and I think 5 rings was everybody - that was easier than going up and down the road to tell good news (like pregnancy) or bad news (like pregnancy)

Rob

Beach Bum
When was that? It has to be in the 50s or earlier as all our cars had gas gauges. OTOH, my first car has a gas gauge but it didn't work. :)
Yes, my parents still had cars from the 50s when I was born and also, the VW beetle didn't get a gas gauge until 1962 - it had a dip stick! And then you are correct, for the cars that did have them, they didn't work half the time.

Rob

Beach Bum
For me, it's the smell of Noxema. Every girl on the swim team had it in her kit bag.

I can still smell Noxema in my head, and Chloe was also my first grown up perfume. I did use Halston and Calvin Klein occasionally to mix it up a bit, but Chloe was my "signature" scent. And later Opium for disco nights, lol! I don't count Revlon's Ciara as an adult perfume because you could get it in the drug store.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
We used to have party line at the family cottage - I could never remember what ring was ours.
We had a party line when I was very, very young. I remember picking up the phone once and other people were on there talking. But almost immediately after that, we got our own line and by the time I was old enough to answer the phone and make phone calls, we didn't have one. So I never really learned what our ring was.

Yes, my parents still had cars from the 50s when I was born and also, the VW beetle didn't get a gas gauge until 1962 - it had a dip stick! And then you are correct, for the cars that did have them, they didn't work half the time.
My car with the broken gauges was a 1968 VW Beetle!! (I got in 1979 though. So it was old.)

I can still smell Noxema in my head, and Chloe was also my first grown up perfume. I did use Halston and Calvin Klein occasionally to mix it up a bit, but Chloe was my "signature" scent. And later Opium for disco nights, lol! I don't count Revlon's Ciara as an adult perfume because you could get it in the drug store.
You can get a ton of perfume in the drug store now. And many, many things you couldn't get when I was young.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information