Something "kids" today wouldnt know about....

just tuned in

I really didn't start the thread as a "walking uphill both ways" thread. I was reminiscing - my college roommate and I have a two week period in which we both had our 70th birthdays and DH and my 50th wedding anniversary, she was my maid of honor.
I really didn't start the thread as a "walking uphill both ways" thread. I was reminiscing - my college roommate and I have a two week period in which we both had our 70th birthdays and DH and my 50th wedding anniversary, she was my maid of honor.

She and I roomed together for one year, in one of the campus' oldest residence halls. The phone thing in particular reminded me that my kids don't have land lines anymore and I can't just pick up the phone to call the grandkids.

I guess it's a sign of getting old. Wanting.to remember things. Probably also a walk down memory lane as memories fail.

I'm sure I have no idea of how much my kids or grandkids would point out as things I don't know about.
@once_upon . I should not have included "walking uphill both ways" as an example of things that our parents would bemoan the "kids" of our generation would not know anything about. I was only saying that our nostalgia reminds me of prior generations doing the same thing. I've enjoyed this thread as much as anyone here!

once_upon

Better off than 2020
@once_upon . I should not have included "walking uphill both ways" as an example of things that our parents would bemoan the "kids" of our generation would not know anything about. I was only saying that our nostalgia reminds me of prior generations doing the same thing. I've enjoyed this thread as much as anyone here!
I hope we continue! Just editorial comment

Lilia A

I thought of this yesterday while at the grocery store. This is for Canadian kids, and I guess the really young ones, pennies! I'm guilty of having paid for my Timmies order with a loonie, a quarter or two, and a bunch of pennies for exact change. Make that several times throughout my university years. And if I got annoyed looks from the person at the register, I'd always respond with I got all these pennies from you guys. Kids won't be doing that, but then again kids today are more likely to use electronic payment methods or apps or whatever.
With that in mind, in the future, kids won't know TTC tokens. I have one token saved that I won't be using and I'm saving it just for memories.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
My granddaughters pop-pop (the other.grandpa) was teaching her the value of money. She is super smart.

He had a one hundred dollar bill and five twenties. They counted 20, 40, 60, 80, 100.

He then said which ones do you want - the 5 bills or the 1 bill. She took the one hundred dollar bill and headed to her room and put it in her bank.

Pop-pop said - I didn't

Dil and her mom said - you asked her which one she wanted. You did it to yourself

Pop-pop learned a more valuable lesson. Watch your words.. 😀

Lizziebeth

I don't know if anyone else mentioned it, but I remember the CB radio craze. I had a friend whose CB name was Peter Rabbit and he had so much fun with his CB radio.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Having to listen to an opera recording -- all six-eight sides of LPs -- with the libretto in hand and try to memorize what was happening when. Because there were no super-titles or titles in the back of the seat in front of you to tell you what the words were.

Reactions: JJH

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
Honestly, I think a lot of parents buy Trapper Keepers for themselves, and want their kids to to want them...but they don't. I've seen them displayed at Target; I've never seen a single student with one :lol: Parents buy their kids a lot of things like that they never, ever use. They throw it in a locker they'll maybe use three times the entire year.

Honestly, I remember having a Trapper Keeper, but it was so unwieldy. I think everyone had ONE Trapper Keeper. ONE. I was never one of those kids that could handle that much organization :lol:

cygnus

I love slide shows!
My dad took all his pictures as slides starting from when I was 7. Sadly, the woman he left our family for, just before I turned 12, has possession of them. I would love to get those missing 5 years back as I know there’s a bunch of me.
My rock-hounding uncle also took slides so I got to see all the cool rock places he went to.
My husband’s father was in the Korean War, and we now have his slides.
We still even have a slide projector.
I loved the slideshows too. We didn't have a tv when I was young- and I remember well the 5 of us kids arranged on my parents bed-from my teenage sisters to my toddler little brother watching them on my parents' bedroom wall. Dad took a lot of pictures when he was in the Navy, so they were from Hong Kong, Japan, Australia etc. as well as family pics. One of my favourite childhood memories. I don't know what happened to them all, though.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Hopefully they are packed away somewhere and someone can convert them to digital format

We had boxes and boxes of VHS tapes and 8 mm cassette tapes that our oldest son did digital conversion. I don't know that anyone of us have looked at them since, but we have them for future viewing by their children

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information