Something "kids" today wouldnt know about....

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Not many exist anymore: the drive in movies
A few years back, local radio celebs saved the Mendon Twin Drive In in Massachusetts. It’s full every night as is the Wellfleet Drive In on Cape Cod. Both are cash machines for their owners, especially since Covid.

I remember what my parent‘s kitchen tool drawer looked like: ice pick, several “church key” bottle/can openers, an egg beater, turkey trusser pins, kitchen twine, and a serrated grapefruit knife. I still have my mothers corn holders.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
A few years back, local radio celebs saved the Mendon Twin Drive In in Massachusetts. It’s full every night as is the Wellfleet Drive In on Cape Cod. Both are cash machines for their owners, especially since Covid.

I remember what my parent‘s kitchen tool drawer looked like: ice pick, several “church key” bottle/can openers, an egg beater, turkey trusser pins, kitchen twine, and a serrated grapefruit knife. I still have my mothers corn holders.
I loved playing with the egg beater as a little kid. Then there was the kind of can opener with the sharp edge that you ran around the top of the can, even more primitive than the can opener with the wheel mechanism.

In our house we used kosher salt for its original purpose and there was always a canister of the stuff.

just tuned in

Ditto, all that stuff.

The egg beater was a magical piece of steampunk. How many of us ran around the house spinning the egg beater pretending it was a motor or something. 😆

Aceon6

Gas stations are still required to have at least 50% of their pumps staffed by attendants, so full-service has not died completely yet here in Oregon - thank God.
But full service used to mean, gas, clean windows, and an oil check. The attendants now just fill the tank unless they’re older and it’s nice out. Then, you might get a squeegee.

Judy

No more drinking/driving as in Cdn police no longer look the other way. I have no idea about the U.S. though ummm 30 years ago except your drinking age was/is higher.

personally I never drove but yeah education and messaging def has for the better.

Last edited:

Cachoo

But full service used to mean, gas, clean windows, and an oil check. The attendants now just fill the tank unless they’re older and it’s nice out. Then, you might get a squeegee.
I remember seeing films from the 50's with guys in matching white uniforms doing all that you mentioned. We had one full service station until last year but the prices were so high. One day children will say "there were humans working at stations??" https://youtube.com/shorts/2QzWhyLQUJ0?feature=share

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Qantas still serve meals on domestic flights in Australia. I had the best toasted cheese and ham sandwich of my LIFE on a flight to Brisbane - though granted, I was flying business at the time. (I think they had spread cream cheese on the bread before toasting it. It was so good.) You can buy hot food on Virgin, Jetstar and the other airlines.

Heh, here's an obscure one: when you had to get up at 7:00 to watch Bathurst because the race started at 8:30. Then 9:30. Then 10:30. Nowadays the race starts at 11:00. The cars are so much faster and the driving standard generally so much higher that despite remaining the same distance, the race is shorter.

And in despair: Everyone losing their minds when petrol went above 70c/L. I wish.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
But full service used to mean, gas, clean windows, and an oil check.
My husband's first real job was at a Bonded station (something else those damn kids don't know about) and he was expected to do all that AND check the air in the tires, all before the gas finished pumping. I tried it a few times and never once made it.

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
I assumed Cachoo was referring to US domestic flights.

Flights that are longer than 2 5 hours have slightly better service than shorter ones.

International flights do serve meals, but I was really disappointed in Delta service on our last International flight. Meals were it. No coming around for drink (soda or water), no offering of a small snack. On the flight over, they told us there was a sort of snack set up in the back of the plane. Returning zip/nothing.
I haven't flown in years - I hate flying. I often take the train, and the service on long train trips has really suffered too.

When I was young and travelling back and forth between my family home in Ingersoll and Toronto on a regular basis, there was a bar/dining car, which served hot meals and alcohol, and a snack bar in one of the cars where you could get non-alcoholic drinks, sandwiches, or chocolate bars. None of it was free or cheap.

When they stopped having bar cars, due to problems with people boarding the train and drinking throughout the whole trip, they started having carts, similar to those on planes, going through the train. No more hot meals, and you could now drink alcohol in your seats, but supplies were not unlimited, as they were in the bar car. Cash only. Expensive.

On last train trip in 2019, the prices were $10 for a stale sandwich in plastic. A can of warm soda was $3.50. And you had to pay by credit card. No debit. No cash. And I saw the cart twice on a 5 hour trip. I've taken to packing my own drinks and snacks for the train.

Judy

Heck, my patents sent me for cigs and beer. And when I started college, the cigarette vending machine in the dorm was a quarter.
I remember going to the convenience store as a wee kid with a note from my mom to get her menthol cigarettes. It was really cheap but don’t remember the price. (Canada). I was a short distance from my school and REALLY young.

Little kids wandering off leaving school def not allowed for a long time def.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Business hours for ever service
And taking the whole day off for a house closing as it could only be done between 9 and 3 and the bank wouldn’t tell you when until the evening before.

Last edited:

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I remember my brother and me riding our bikes looking for change on the side of the roads in our neighborhood. We were rich if we found a penny, a nickel or a dime. We would then go to the corner store and buy penny candy. For just a penny, you would have one of those small paper bags filled with hard candy. You could buy a coke for a nickel, and two of the Hostess cupcakes for a nickel.

That was the only time we could get a coke is when we found change on the side of the road. We drank Kool-Aid, and our parents would give us a dime whenever the ice cream man drove through our neighborhood. You ate whatever was on your plate or go to bed hungry. It's funny. I hated green beans, back-eyed peas, cabbage and butter beans when I was a kid, but I love all of that now.

My dad grew a garden every summer. We had tomatoes, purple-hull peas, snap beans, squash, cucumbers, corn, watermelon and cantaloupes. We had two plum trees, a fig tree, two pear trees, and two blackberry patches in our backyard. I would help my mom with the canning every year. We would have plum jelly, blackberry jelly, pear preserves, and fig preserves to last through the winter. We also had a freezer full of corn on the cob, purple hull peas and canned tomatoes for soups that would last through the winter.

In elementary school, my mom would wrap up two of the jars of blackberry jelly to give to our teachers as a present each Christmas. I remember my teachers telling me to please thank my mom for the delicious blackberry jelly.

Lizziebeth

Around 1966, the warnings started. It was at that point, my father put down his cigarettes and never smoked another one
So did mine. He had tried to quit before, but succeeded this time. He made me promise to never start smoking and I kept my promise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information