Something "kids" today wouldnt know about....

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Around 1966, the warnings started. It was at that point, my father put down his cigarettes and never smoked another one
My dad too. Mom worked with pych patients and leading group therapy. Coffee and cigarettes all around. Took mom several years to quit because of that occupational hazard

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Double feature movies. Do those still exist?
They do at drive-ins, of which there are four around here. When I visited BYTCH in Cape Cod a few years back, everyone she introduced me to told me that I should go to the drive-in because it was the last one in the US (BYTCH also told me this and refused to believe that there are multiple drive-ins here). They also assumed that my daughter, who was along for the trip, had never been to one and that she would find this exciting.

Um, no.

But apparently going to a drive-in is a big novelty for some people, or so they think in Cape Cod. :lol:

liv

Drive in movie theaters... and the double feature. They're gone where I am. I remember my first and only double feature... it was The Muppets followed by The Best little Whorehouse in Texas. Our parents assumed we'd fall asleep for the second and they were right... but I stayed awake long enough to learn what a whore house was lol.

A&W...where you parked and they came around in roller skates and placed the tray with your food on the car's rolled down window...

Standing up for the national anthem before the movie p.ayed in the theater... and clapping when the movie was over.

Hmmmm, maybe lining up for movie tickets is not common either, with buying online and booking a seat ahead of time.

I remember doing the windows and checking oil when I worked full service at the gas station. You learned to time it perfectly. I only checked tire pressure if asked... and then you had to put the credit card in the little flat clipboard type thing with the carbon paper on top and then slid something over it to make the impression on the paper ...and then they signed it and you kept one copy and the customer got the other... I'm sure you guys know... they don't do that anymore!!!

Cachoo

I say this without judgement. My niece was looking at old photos of people at the Apollo spacecraft launches—at a time when high fructose corn syrup was not in everything—and she remarked on how much smaller we were. (We weren’t supersizing food orders either.) And she was right—there was a noticeable difference.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I think when I was a kid, Size 10 was average for women - but it’s what a size 6 is now. I wear the same size I did in high school but am unfortunately two sizes larger.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
A&W...where you parked and they came around in roller skates and placed the tray with your food on the car's rolled down window...
We still have one of those. It's no longer an A&W, but it's the same in every way.

And yes, Sonic has roller skating servers, too.

Jenny

From the Bloc
ETA: Taking sandpaper to brand new jeans to try to fade them

When I was a teen, jeans had to be supertight, with a slight flair at the bottom. We'd turn them inside out, place pins down the outside seams, then sew along the line using our mother's sewing machine (because every mother had a sewing machine of course). Keep in mind that this was when jeans were 100% cotton, not like nowadays where there's maybe 5% lycra to make them more wearable. When you see movies or tv shows where teen girls are lying on their bed with their friends trying to get their zippers up, the struggle was real. Others used pliers, I kept a fork in my room for this purpose.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I think when I was a kid, Size 10 was average for women - but it’s what a size 6 is now. I wear the same size I did in high school but am unfortunately two sizes larger.
Marilyn Monroe was a 12. A 36” hip is now a 4-6.

And a luggage set for women back then consisted of a suitcase, train case, and hat box!

smurfy

I was watching 'Line of Duty' from abt 2013. Married cop referring to his former mistress as a Bunny Boiler.
Would younger folks know that?

I did shock some 20somethings at work recently - they did not know you were allowed to smoke on planes.
One girl abt age 29/30 -was so shocked and did not think it was safe.

skatingguy

decently
I was watching 'Line of Duty' from abt 2013. Married cop referring to his former mistress as a Bunny Boiler.
Would younger folks know that?

I did shock some 20somethings at work recently - they did not know you were allowed to smoke on planes.
One girl abt age 29/30 -was so shocked and did not think it was safe.
Did you tell her that people used to smoke while pumping gas?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Ther were no 'smart carts' for $5-$7 at airports. Instead there were skycaps who helped with luggage. At my airport I still see an occasional skycap.

I remember carrying airline tickets with me; without them I could not board.

I still wonder how did we communicate without emails and txt messaging? Good old post office, of course. Telegrams in emergencies.

How did we find information without the internet? When I first started working after graduate school, we did not have the internet. We used to ask others for information.

Rob

Beach Bum
When I was in my late teens, I did showroom modeling in the garment district because I was a perfect size 8 which was the sample size. 32-22-32. That would be in the zero sizes today. Pfft.

skatingguy

decently
I don't think this one has been mentioned, but when I was a kid, pre-home video camera, my grandfather used to take the photos that the family had taken all summer and put together a slide show using the photo slide-projector. He would take the photos to the Black's photography store and have them turned into slides, and then we would load the wheels, and set up a screen in front of the fireplace to show all the slides.

quartz

scratching at the light
I love slide shows!
My dad took all his pictures as slides starting from when I was 7. Sadly, the woman he left our family for, just before I turned 12, has possession of them. I would love to get those missing 5 years back as I know there’s a bunch of me.
My rock-hounding uncle also took slides so I got to see all the cool rock places he went to.
My husband’s father was in the Korean War, and we now have his slides.
We still even have a slide projector.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
My father also took slide photos. It was actually a treat to go through them every so often. We all enjoyed it. About 10 years ago, he transferred them to CD and gave us all a copy of the photos. When that was done, Dad said we didn't need the slides anymore. I couldn't see them discarded, so they are now in my possession. I don't have a slide projector or a screen, but I just can't let these be tossed.

skatingguy

decently
Blacks offering the second set of prints for another dollar is the reason we have 8000 photos of the kids instead of 4000. :shuffle:
Free duplicates is definitely another thing that kids wouldn't understand now - wait, you can't just print another copy?

smurfy

I was just responding to the Rodney Dangerfield with a joke I remembered.

Do young people know that milk/ice was delivered to homes?

just tuned in

This thread cracks me up sometimes. ”In my day… we had to walk ten miles uphill both ways.“

Our parents bemoaned “kids today” all the time. They would have written posts about spending all day in the movies for five cents, buying war bonds, some famous old boxing match, cranking up the car, and whatever else they did in the 1930s.

I appreciate our exercise in nostalgia.

Has anyone yet said Kweeeen!

once_upon

Better off than 2020
This thread cracks me up sometimes. ”In my day… we had to walk ten miles uphill both ways.“

Our parents bemoaned “kids today” all the time. They would have written posts about spending all day in the movies for five cents, buying war bonds, some famous old boxing match, cranking up the car, and whatever else they did in the 1930s.

I appreciate our exercise in nostalgia.

Has anyone yet said Kweeeen!
I really didn't start the thread as a "walking uphill both ways" thread. I was reminiscing - my college roommate and I have a two week period in which we both had our 70th birthdays and DH and my 50th wedding anniversary, she was my maid of honor.

She and I roomed together for one year, in one of the campus' oldest residence halls. The phone thing in particular reminded me that my kids don't have land lines anymore and I can't just pick up the phone to call the grandkids.

I guess it's a sign of getting old. Wanting.to remember things. Probably also a walk down memory lane as memories fail.

I'm sure I have no idea of how much my kids or grandkids would point out as things I don't know about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information