Sasha Cohen marriage

fgrsk8ingfan

Sad to hear. But having been married very briefly myself, it is better to break it off early than spend years making something work that won't.
Same! I do not believe in wasting years, or even decades, on someone you do not truly love. That's the one thing I completely believe in, marriage should not be mediocre. If you do not love your spouse (and clearly either Sasha or Tom May or both did not truly love the other) or they would still be together.

fgrsk8ingfan

How do you know they are currently dating and how could you possibly know she became attracted to him after she got married? Not saying you are wrong but just curious how you would know that. I just looked at Tom Murro's twittter & instagram accounts and he is photographed iwth A LOT of different women. I mean A LOT!

Last edited:

Justathoughtabl

How do you know they are currently dating and how could you possibly know she became attracted to him after she got married? Not saying you are wrong but just curious how you would know that. I just looked at Tom Murro's twittter & instagram accounts and he is photographed iwth A LOT of different women. I mean A LOT!

Yeah, I just looked at his twitter, and his username is "celebritymagnet." Apparently his thing is going to red carpet events and posing with celebrities. Actually, apparently he's a TV personality. I've never heard of him.

Obviously with Sasha, either they didn't love each other or something big happened, like one cheated on the other. But we'll probably never know unless one of them reveals it. I'm glad they didn't stay in an unhappy situation.

becca

The days of "making it work" are over! This is not the era where arranged marriages were supposed to last forever! Last I heard half of all marriages will end in divorce; a shame really, but staying and being miserable is not a way to live! Both my parents were on their 2nd; mother and stepfather! That's an aberration IMO where some women I know expect to be married multiple times! Staying for the sake of the kids should never be said again unless they're very young and the expense of having separate households would take away from their care and stability! :rolleyes: :judge: :puppet: :soapbox:
What I am about to say has nothing to do with Sasha.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.tele...e-could-best-thing-do-new-study-suggests/amp/

This study suggests that many couples who stick it out end up happy years later. Marriage can be hard especially raising children together. Divorce sucks for kids. Yes there are times when it is necessary but as this study suggests sticking it out and working out the problems has its merits.

Vows matter and the more times folks get divorced the more likely divorce is to happen again and then you run the risk of ending up alone.

Your statement assumes that two people who loved each other once cannot learn to love each other again. I know many who were married for decades who will say the marriage had its unhappy moments but they stuck it out.

Last edited:

berthesghost

What I’m about to say does apply to Sasha too. What happens in a marriage is between two people and none of every one else’s business. There is no one-size-fits-all solution imo and if people decide to split or if they decide to stay, I just give them the benefit of the doubt that they made the decision that was right for them.

Last edited:

BittyBug

Disgusted
wearing fur IS tacky... but what can we do, when ALL of the most prominent and liberal-speaking designers ARE MAKING FUR CLOTHING MORE AND MORE......:rolleyes:
Actually many designers are going fur free. Gucci, Michael Kors, Jimmy Choo are a few recent converts. Calvin Klein, Vivienne Westwood, Tommy Hilfiger and Betsey Johnson are fur free. And of course Stella McCartney has always been fur and leather free since she is a vegan. Also importantly Yoox / Net-a-Porter is no longer selling any products that use fur. There is a long way to go (Fendi, Max Mara, etc.) but the tide may be changing.

As for Sasha, I hope that she finds fulfillment. She always struck me as a somewhat restless soul.

becca

When marriages end so quickly, I wonder how well they really know one another.
This but I also wonder what their expectations on marriage are too. I don't know what went down with Sasha. However I just the whole parents shouldn't stay together etc. I think there are a lot of marriages that could potentially be saved as the article I posted shows. It is not for me to judge why folks break up.

VGThuy

I rather not assume what people have or have not tried or what their relationship was actually like or what events transpired before they decided to get a divorce.

bardtoob

You can't talk about Sasha without mentioning Michelle Kwan.
You can't talk about Tara without mentioning Michelle Kwan.
You can't talk about Irina without mentioning Michelle Kwan.
You can't talk about Sarah without mentioning Michelle Kwan.
You can't talk about Frank without mentioning Michelle Kwan.
You can't talk about Lori without mentioning Michelle Kwan.
You can't talk about Vera without mentioning Michelle Kwan.
You can't talk about Hillary without mentioning Michelle Kwan.
You can't talk about Nicole without mentioning Michelle Kwan.
You can't talk about Rafael without mentioning Michelle Kwan.
You can't talk about LuLu without mentioning Michelle Kwan.
You can't talk about Karen and Peter without mentioning Michelle Kwan.

I see a pattern here.

I have recently discovered I can talk about applied statistics without mentioning Michelle Kwan, but she is the elephant in the room :rofl: . . . :D

aftershocks

Banned Member
It's a good thing to acknowledge when/if something isn't working, and courageous to take the necessary steps to move forward. It is coincidental that both Michelle's and Sasha's marriages have ended, but not everyone's path in life is straight and narrow. Good luck to Sasha on the diverging and illuminating path she's taking. Both Sasha and Michelle continue to amaze with their growth, courage and inspiration.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
A part of me hopes Sasha never sees this thread, but another part of me is delighted she can still generate 5 pages of gossip without lifting a finger :skandal

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Sad for Sasha and Tom but somehow not surprised by it.

After spending all that money on a wedding, though! It reminds me of gals I went to college with. All they cared about was a big flashy wedding and not a marriage (not saying that of Sasha or Tom, just saying it's what I've noticed in my generation and I am around Sasha's age).

Fiero425

A part of me hopes Sasha never sees this thread, but another part of me is delighted she can still generate 5 pages of gossip without lifting a finger :skandal

I pulled out a tape to see her performance at 2006 Olympics in Torino! I thought she was toast after those missed jumping passes at the beginning, but she pulled it together to salvage Silver! She finished strong enough that it still came down to Arakawa being clean! Irina was well past it w/ her landings so out of control! Love the program of "Romeo & Juliet!" :sarah1: :sasha1:

skatfan

That
What I am about to say has nothing to do with Sasha.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.tele...e-could-best-thing-do-new-study-suggests/amp/

This study suggests that many couples who stick it out end up happy years later. Marriage can be hard especially raising children together. Divorce sucks for kids. Yes there are times when it is necessary but as this study suggests sticking it out and working out the problems has its merits.

Vows matter and the more times folks get divorced the more likely divorce is to happen again and then you run the risk of ending up alone.

that study was about couples who were unhappy after having a child together. My situation was closer to Sasha’s — I had been married a little while and no kids.

Plus a good 9 months therapy to clarify. Never regretted the divorce!

And I know plenty of folks on there 3rd/4th marriages and very happy!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
IME a lot of people who spent their growing-up years doing an activity like a sport, that dominated their lives, have a hard time adjusting to adult life once that activity ends for them. I hope that there are no bad feelings between Sasha and her ex-husband and that they can both find happiness in the future.

Japanfan

When marriages end so quickly, I wonder how well they really know one another.

Sometimes not well at all, especially if has been a romantic whirlwind of that intoxicating falling-in-love thing - which often does not stand the test of time or reality.

chapis

So she says: “My goal now is to establish a second career where I feel engaged and where I’m adding value.”, and I thought that she will be coming back to the university but then it says: She thinks she’s found that purpose as an associate with financial firm Morgan Stanley, where she researches disruptive changes in the economy. “It’s intellectually very interesting — I’m looking at emerging trends that will transform the way we live,” she says. :confused:

mrr50

So she says: “My goal now is to establish a second career where I feel engaged and where I’m adding value.”, and I thought that she will be coming back to the university but then it says: She thinks she’s found that purpose as an associate with financial firm Morgan Stanley, where she researches disruptive changes in the economy. “It’s intellectually very interesting — I’m looking at emerging trends that will transform the way we live,” she says. :confused:

Bless her, I always liked Sasha and she still can surprise.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Sasha recently had a video interview on IceTalk with McCarvel I believe (the audio is still available, I'm not sure about the video). She explained more about what her new career path is all about re disruptive research, which involves economic and global trends. She also spoke about her internship at CBS, I believe with 60 minutes.

It's episode 49 on IceTalk: http://web.icenetwork.com/fans/icetalk

And here's an interesting AOL Build interview with Sasha that took place in October 2016, a few months after her wedding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdMsTLXAuSo

The host went into this whole group of questions about Sasha marrying that year, and about her husband Tom May, details on how they met, along with showing pictures (which Sasha didn't seem as if she realized he would show). It's hard to detect if the marriage was still going well at this time. Perhaps the rift happened later that year. Sasha freely indicates that her courtship with Tom was quick after they met at a Harvard alumni mixer (she had been invited by a girlfriend). She moved in with Tom after several weeks and they were engaged about four months later. So in hindsight, maybe they should have taken it more slowly. But love can hit suddenly and overwhelmingly like that. It's a lesson learned apparently. Sasha was experiencing a lot of new things in her late twenties after a singularly focused existence in skating. She surely was very connected to her husband having lived with him before they married. But things change, and there's no formula for understanding why. That's life.

The AOL interview was a few weeks before the presidential election, and Sasha talks very articulately about politics. Sasha is also asked about her friendship with Evan Lysacek, and about the Russian doping scandal, etc. She says the transition from skating is the most difficult for her in terms of no longer having absolute clarity and intense purpose every day. But what she likes about her life now is that her world is more expanded and not as insular. She's very articulate and bright. And she seemed just as composed and articulate during the IceTalk interview, although perhaps she was a bit more subdued in what she talked about personally. Surely, McCarvel was alerted not to ask about her 2016 marriage. The IceTalk interview must have occurred sometime last summer or early fall, well after the marriage break-up. Possibly the friend Sasha may be currently dating met her when she interned with CBS. He's a former banker turned entertainment reporter.

And here's a TeamUSA.org article about Sasha from 2016, before she married:
https://www.teamusa.org/News/2016/F...r-Career-At-Columbia-And-Her-Upcoming-Wedding

Sasha also gave a TedTalk in 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O02x-Nt6WOM (audio issue at beginning) She discusses the topic of 'commitment' and how it impacted her life during her skating career

chapis

I think it is interesting how Sasha and probably the most of skaters see their own lives:

Cohen says her life as an Olympian was “so clear.”

“I’d wake up every morning with a plan for the day, and the year, and the next four years,” the 33-year-old tells PEOPLE. “I was on this train and everything else blurred on the side.”

“Once you leave that world of being an elite athlete to find your place in the broader world, that kind of clarity is hard to find.”

theredpepper

After seeing this thread I went back and reread some of Sasha's old journals on her website. Gosh, what a blast from the past. She was the one who drew me into skating again in 2002 (after a childhood obsession with Michelle Kwan many years ago) and I remember eagerly checking her website to see when the front page would change with a new graphic and the results from her latest GP event. I used to think of my big exams as GPF events - Sasha gets the gold, I aced my pre-calc exam. So many fun memories. I hope she is happy.

becca

^^ Sasha recently had a video interview on IceTalk with McCarvel I believe (the audio is still available, I'm not sure about the video). She explained more about what her new career path is all about re disruptive research, which involves economic and global trends. She also spoke about her internship at CBS, I believe with 60 minutes.

It's episode 49 on IceTalk: http://web.icenetwork.com/fans/icetalk

And here's an interesting AOL Build interview with Sasha that took place in October 2016, a few months after her wedding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdMsTLXAuSo

The host went into this whole group of questions about Sasha marrying that year, and about her husband Tom May, details on how they met, along with showing pictures (which Sasha didn't seem as if she realized he would show). It's hard to detect if the marriage was still going well at this time. Perhaps the rift happened later that year. Sasha freely indicates that her courtship with Tom was quick after they met at a Harvard alumni mixer (she had been invited by a girlfriend). She moved in with Tom after several weeks and they were engaged about four months later. So in hindsight, maybe they should have taken it more slowly. But love can hit suddenly and overwhelmingly like that. It's a lesson learned apparently. Sasha was experiencing a lot of new things in her late twenties after a singularly focused existence in skating. She surely was very connected to her husband having lived with him before they married. But things change, and there's no formula for understanding why. That's life.

The AOL interview was a few weeks before the presidential election, and Sasha talks very articulately about politics. Sasha is also asked about her friendship with Evan Lysacek, and about the Russian doping scandal, etc. She says the transition from skating is the most difficult for her in terms of no longer having absolute clarity and intense purpose every day. But what she likes about her life now is that her world is more expanded and not as insular. She's very articulate and bright. And she seemed just as composed and articulate during the IceTalk interview, although perhaps she was a bit more subdued in what she talked about personally. Surely, McCarvel was alerted not to ask about her 2016 marriage. The IceTalk interview must have occurred sometime last summer or early fall, well after the marriage break-up. Possibly the friend Sasha may be currently dating met her when she interned with CBS. He's a former banker turned entertainment reporter.

And here's a TeamUSA.org article about Sasha from 2016, before she married:
https://www.teamusa.org/News/2016/F...r-Career-At-Columbia-And-Her-Upcoming-Wedding

Sasha also gave a TedTalk in 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O02x-Nt6WOM (audio issue at beginning) She discusses the topic of 'commitment' and how it impacted her life during her skating career

Yeah that is quick!! It is easy to judge why others didn't work and not saying the two aren't wrong to divorce.

leafygreens

OT but what stuck out to me in that interview (about the 16:00 mark) is that Alexei Yagudin told Sasha years ago that his competitors were doping. This needs to be brought to the attention of the crowd who insist that “figure skaters don’t dope.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information