Russian figure skating news in 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

As for them trying to do this through Diana’s father - wouldn’t proof of actual parenthood be required, so they can’t just find a Jewish person to be her dad?

Ah! So we might finally find out about Diana’s sekret father through this? 🍿

So how many citizenships are they exploring or pursuing now? 🍿

Most importantly: For all of these shenanigans…Will it be the second coming of Torvill & Dean when D/S finally take to the ISU ice again? 🍿

Vagabond

Let me get get serious for a moment. :cautious:

If Davis and Smolkin moved to Israel together, they wouldn't be able to train even if they had a coach and facilities. He would have to serve in the army. 🤷‍♂️

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
All this switching leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't want them or anyone to move to the US (or anyone really) just to get an Oly berth. I want immigrants who want to live here & want a path to citizenship esp if the plan is to move back to home country after they get what they want. Why should skaters get more consideration ahead of people who have been on waiting lists to move here?

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Let me get get serious for a moment. :cautious:

If Davis and Smolkin moved to Israel together, they wouldn't be able to train even if they had a coach and facilities. He would have to serve in the army. 🤷‍♂️
I forget how old he is but plenty get exemptions these days. They discourage enlisting after age 25. He’d certainly have a much better chance of exemption than back in Russia!

Sylvia

TBD
Former singles skater, used to be coached by Shubin as a kid and also was coached by Eteri before switching to pairs.
Tumanova/Kunitsa competed in the junior test skates in August 2021 but withdrew from 2022 Russian Junior Nationals in early 2022 (reportedly had split by then) - no competition results are listed in their bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00111437.htm

ETA link to Kunitsa’s ISU singles bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00035453.htm

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
I assumed they would consider countries like Georgia, Azerbaïdjan or Armenia. I am sure that the Georgian team will get even better Russian skaters next year.
Israël is even more surprising since Kiliakovs kid switch to represent Israel already and is about to go senior too.
Why would that be a problem? If Kiliakovs kid is any good, they would be able to earn second spot by the time Davis/Smolkin are able to compete for Israel.

hanca

Values her privacy
According to RIA Kostornaya switched to pairs to skate with Kunitsa.
Wow, I thought she has had quite a few injuries. Would her body be able to last in pairs? I think pairs are much harder on body (in terms of injuries) than single skating. For example, the throws would be much bigger impact on knees, hips and backbone. Then there is the risk of being dropped from lift or twist…Kostiukovich posted a video of her injuries in the past and it looked pretty bad, including tooth broken/ knocked out

hanca

Values her privacy
All this switching leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't want them or anyone to move to the US (or anyone really) just to get an Oly berth. I want immigrants who want to live here & want a path to citizenship esp if the plan is to move back to home country after they get what they want. Why should skaters get more consideration ahead of people who have been on waiting lists to move here?
But then it should apply for US skaters moving to other countries too… it is not as if it was only one sided.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Well. Not everyone who gains citizenship is dying to be an American. Some need to rejoin their families, others don’t care about the patriotic aspect but have professional reasons to want to work in the US. I don’t think we can go beyond the formal requirements, which are tough enough, to judge motive.

On My Own

Kunitsa competes for Russia? I suppose I don't get the point for Kostornaya, then, but I suppose she should do what she wants.

Amy L

Wow, I thought she has had quite a few injuries. Would her body be able to last in pairs?
I'm afraid that this could turn out like a Naomi Nari Nam situation. Her switch to pairs probably came a little too late, she did well in pairs but the injuries she sustained in singles made it to where she couldn't continue at all.

Or it's like Adian Pitkeev or Alyona Kanysheva who tried switching to ice dance after they got injured from Eteri's school but nothing worked out.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I'm afraid that this could turn out like a Naomi Nari Nam situation. Her switch to pairs probably came a little too late, she did well in pairs but the injuries she sustained in singles made it to where she couldn't continue at all.

Or it's like Adian Pitkeev or Alyona Kanysheva who tried switching to ice dance after they got injured from Eteri's school but nothing worked out.
I've seen them skate. I think this is a desperation move. Just because you can jump doesn't make you a pair skater. It might work in cases like Vale Marchi who had an experienced partner and not a lot of internal competition. That's not the case here. There are just as many injuries, or more considering the possible concussions, in pair skating as in singles. Moreover, all the coaches who have worked with her over the years have commented about her work ethic. While, I think she could be a good pair girl, I don't think it will happen. Not in Russia where there is internal competition.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Russian coaches are pretty egoistical themselves but there does seem to be a consensus that she has a diva temperament. That won’t work in a team. I’m not optimistic either.

hanca

Values her privacy
If she wants to keep skating, has no easy option to change federations, and has had enough of Russian Singles coaches (Who wouldn't, in her situation?), this switch makes perfect sense.
Are Russian pairs coaches any better than singles coaches? In fact, there will be even more pressure on her to keep her weight low than it was in Tutberidze’s group.

hanca

Values her privacy
I've seen them skate. I think this is a desperation move. Just because you can jump doesn't make you a pair skater. It might work in cases like Vale Marchi who had an experienced partner and not a lot of internal competition. That's not the case here. There are just as many injuries, or more considering the possible concussions, in pair skating as in singles. Moreover, all the coaches who have worked with her over the years have commented about her work ethic. While, I think she could be a good pair girl, I don't think it will happen. Not in Russia where there is internal competition.
Unless they switch countries. Neither of them competed internationally for a while, so they could switch and start competing as soon as they are ready. Which probably won’t be so soon though - one inexperienced male partner and one complete pair beginner female partner - it will take a while.

hanca

Values her privacy

And Vladislav Tarasenko, who switched to pairs, tried to learn it for one season and then retired and started skating in shows.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Kostornaia must know that her chances of competing internationally again are microscopic. It seems unlikely that she'd get back to the Russian Championships in singles. So if they're enjoying skating together and learning new skills, maybe that's the best we can hope for. :(

starrynight

Especially if they could take that to shows.

I agree. There’s so many retired/semi-retired Tutberidze ladies vying for show opportunities who all pretty much offer the same thing.

This is an excellent way of Kostornaya setting herself apart. At the very least there is a good novelty factor to seeing Kostornaya do even some decently executed pair elements.

I really enjoyed Valentina Marchei’s pairs switch, so I am on board for this.

Vagabond

Russian coaches are pretty egoistical themselves but there does seem to be a consensus that she has a diva temperament. That won’t work in a team. I’m not optimistic either.
That "consensus" is founded in no small measure on what Tutberidze's staff has said about Kostornaia. There are enough reports of their abusing skaters who, for one reason or another, don't fit in that anything negative they say about her must be taken with extreme skepticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information