Russian figure skating news in 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

neu

Declaration of the 11th Olympic Summit​

09 Dec 2022
The Olympic Movement had to take the protective measures of not inviting athletes from Russia and Belarus because, on the one hand, some governments were deciding and still decide which athletes can participate in international competitions, and which athletes cannot. The Summit strongly rejected these measures by governments as unacceptable interference in the autonomy of sports organisations and their political neutrality. The Summit emphasised that participation in sports competitions must be based exclusively on the sporting merits of an athlete and respect for the rules of sport. Another reason for the protective measures was that, in some countries, the safety and security of athletes from Russia and Belarus could not be guaranteed anymore.

These protective measures put the Olympic Movement in a grave dilemma. All athletes had to be protected from political interference. The integrity of sports competitions had to be ensured. This led the IOC to act against its mission to unify the entire world in peaceful competition, since it had to prohibit athletes from participation because of their passport only.

The participants of the Summit discussed in detail whether the reasons for these protective measures still exist and explored different ways as to how to overcome this extremely grave dilemma. This debate was informed by:

The adoption of the “Sport as an enabler of sustainable development” resolution (A/77/L.28) by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on 1 December 2022 in New York. This resolution recognised that major international sports events “should be organised in the spirit of peace” and “that the unifying and conciliative nature of such events should be respected”. It also supports the political neutrality of the Olympic Movement and “the independence and autonomy of sport as well as the mission of the International Olympic Committee in leading the Olympic Movement”.

The resolution was passed by consensus by all members of the 77th session of the UN General Assembly, which is remarkable, as this includes Russia and Ukraine.

Remarks by Csaba Kőrösi, President of the 77th Session of the UNGA, who said: “I encourage all Member States to preserve the unifying spirit of sports and the Olympic Movement. It is far more promising to the world if nations compete on the fields of sports than on the battle fields. The former makes us more noble and stronger, the latter leaves death and devastation behind.”

The statement by the Chair of the G20, Indonesia’s President Joko Widodo – following an address by the IOC President – in which the Indonesian President expressed his support for the political neutrality of sport, while at the same time emphasising the unifying power of the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The statement by Emmanuel Macron, President of France – the host of the next Olympic and Paralympic Games – who said: “Sport should not be politicised. These major events are meant to allow athletes from all countries, sometimes including countries at war, to bring sport to life. Also, to find, through sport, ways of discussing where people can no longer talk to each other – I think that should be preserved.”

A letter by the Special Rapporteur in the field of cultural rights and the Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance of the United Nations Human Rights Council. They express “serious concern about the recommendation to ban Russian and Belarusian athletes and officials such as judges from international competitions, based solely on their nationality, as a matter of principle. This raises serious issues of non-discrimination.”

The participation of many athletes from Russia and Belarus in national leagues abroad, and in different international sports competitions, including in cycling and tennis.

The encouragement and expectation expressed by so many leaders and people from Asia, Africa, the Americas, Oceania and parts of Europe who consider sport to be a unifying force of major importance in these divisive and highly confrontational times. Many of them refer to this peace mission of the Olympic Movement, which was put into action most recently at the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018 by unifying the teams of the NOCs of the Republic of Korea and the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea in a joint march at the Opening Ceremony behind the Korean Unification Flag, while their countries were and still are in a state of war.

In the course of the debate, the Acting President of the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) stated that, on the Asian continent, the reasons for the protective measures no longer exist. The OCA offered to facilitate the participation of athletes from Russia and Belarus in competitions in Asia under its authority

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Cross-posting from Off the Beaten Track thread, as it relates to Russia being allowed into non-sport int’l competition:

Both Misses Russia and Ukraine are competing at the 71st Miss Universe beauty pageant, being celebrated this year in New Orleans, LA, USA. Finals this Saturday, Jan 14, 8pm eastern, on Telemundo (Spanish TV) or Roku (English online).

Interesting to see this happening, as the war/conflict continues. Bits of news show that other contestants are ignoring Russia…not in group photos/events.

Again, pls discuss in the above-linked thread.

Finnice

According to Finnish media, the Russian people have voted Kamila Valieva as an athlete of the year 2022. She wan over f.ex ice hockey player Ovetshkin and skiier Bolshunov.

Willowway

There are several reports in the broader news world that Olympic Champion (ice dance) Roman Kostomarov is seriously ill with pneumonia, and hospitalized. Initial reports say that his illness is not Covid related. I'm sending him my best hopes and most sincere prayers for a complete recovery.

Nancy

Sylvia

TBD

skipaway

Article in the tabloidy-looking Euro Weekly News ("the leading weekly free British newspaper published in Spain"):
The news outlet reported that instead of being given medicines, he was treated with ice-hole therapy.

Is this what they’re Talking About?

:yikes:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I do that every day in the wintertime - when I am healthy. It is not dangerous, if you are. But not for people who are sick.
I remember when my daughter had a bad cold and we went to the Nordic spa (hot cold treatments etc) including the cold plunge and she swears it helped cure her cold lol. But that was just a cold and she was young and healthy. But now I read that about Roman I would think twice.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
According to the media Davis/Smolkin are considering represnting Israel.
Really hope this time papaBoria gets updated with the laws and postpones their switch till at least next year - while Smolkin is entitled for a citizenship Davis (unless she can come up with a Jewish grandparent) is not for at least another year. Somehow am not optimistic about papaBoria's ability to know the laws of the country he `represents'....

fan

Really hope this time papaBoria gets updated with the laws and postpones their switch till at least next year - while Smolkin is entitled for a citizenship Davis (unless she can come up with a Jewish grandparent) is not for at least another year. Somehow am not optimistic about papaBoria's ability to know the laws of the country he `represents'....
Smolkin has Jewish heritage and Diana doesn’t? Silly plan…

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

Smolkin has Jewish heritage and Diana doesn’t? Silly plan…
How long would Diana have to wait to obtain citizenship as Gleb's spouse? As long as one partner has an Israeli passport, they could represent Israel internationally immediately. The only question is, would they be able to get her an Israeli passport by 2026?

starrynight

I have no issue with skaters switching countries, but the idealist in me likes to see that they actually participate in their new country’s sporting scene and culture when they do. Rather than a cynical grab for a Worlds spot for a nation they couldn’t care less for.

Honestly the thought of Tutberidze extending out her controls into small feds (and possibly damaging their reputation by association) really rubs me the wrong way.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
The notion that there’s another rumor regarding a country switch backs up my idea that Tutberidze blabbed too much at Miami Airport (and the person in question who had said conversation it is someone I’ve known for a long, long time), didn’t expect Dave Lease to go on a daily clue spree when he was told, and then she had to reassess what she was going to do next with her daughter. There was too much damage control going on with the whole thing.

But I also think there may be other skaters that we aren’t hearing much about these days that are planning similar.

fan

How long would Diana have to wait to obtain citizenship as Gleb's spouse? As long as one partner has an Israeli passport, they could represent Israel internationally immediately. The only question is, would they be able to get her an Israeli passport by 2026?
If she’s not Jewish, she won’t get citizenship. Period.

starrynight

If she’s not Jewish, she won’t get citizenship. Period.
My understanding is that a spouse of an Israeli citizen can apply for citizenship. So Smolkin would have to be granted citizenship and then Diana would have to go through the process as his wife to get her passport.

This would be a much more lengthy process than making Aliyah. A quick Google tells me that she would actually need to live in Israel with Smolkin as a permanent resident first to qualify for spousal citizenship.

Or maybe she could do a conversion to Judaism? If Smolkin is Jewish that could actually be something she might want to do anyway if they are serious about that sort of thing.

fan

It’s highly unlikely and she would need to convert in an orthodox conversion (to be recognized by the state), which take years and years

Vagabond

This might easier than it sounds. All they have to do is come up with the right guy to play the part of Diana Davis' father. Sammy Davis, Jr. would have been convenient, being both a Davis and Jewish, but he died too young. :( I am sure that Boria Chait has learned from the Ilya Tkachenko debacle and has someone in mind. ;)

starrynight

It’s highly unlikely and she would need to convert in an orthodox conversion (to be recognized by the state), which take years and years
Does conversion to other denominations of Judaism count for citizenship?

Not that (as I understand it) it is easy or quick to convert to any Jewish denomination (unlike Christianity which can take minutes depending on the denomination).

But I wonder if this might be just to compete internationally, with the Olympics to be a consideration later. (Or just a big rumour).

As for them trying to do this through Diana’s father - wouldn’t proof of actual parenthood be required, so they can’t just find a Jewish person to be her dad?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Does conversion to other denominations of Judaism count for citizenship?

Not that (as I understand it) it is easy or quick to convert to any Jewish denomination (unlike Christianity which can take minutes depending on the denomination).

But I wonder if this might be just to compete internationally, with the Olympics to be a consideration later. (Or just a big rumour).

As for them trying to do this through Diana’s father - wouldn’t proof of actual parenthood be required, so they can’t just find a Jewish person to be her dad?
Welllllllll... I think that could get rather dicey while Gleb is working on obtaining his green card & not yet a US citizen himself. Do they really want to start digging into her family background? Sure, she was born here in the US, but given that she didn't live here for most of her childhood, finding some Jewish man to be her dad could open them up to more questions than they need or want.

kirkbiggestfan

I assumed they would consider countries like Georgia, Azerbaïdjan or Armenia. I am sure that the Georgian team will get even better Russian skaters next year.
Israël is even more surprising since Kiliakovs kid switch to represent Israel already and is about to go senior too.

Dobre

Israël is even more surprising since Kiliakovs kid switch to represent Israel already and is about to go senior too.
It is surprising. They are not the same age level or experience level though. If Davis & Smolkin were good enough, they could earn a second berth for Israel.

Unfortunately, if the powers-that-be in Israel are recruiting in ice dance, I have a feeling this means that Ichilov has decided she is done.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Two points: if Smolkin has a Jewish parent, no problem for citizenship. If only a grandparent, the new government wants to change the Law of Return so he’d no longer be eligible. Lots of Russians and Ukrainians would be kept out by that one, but the fanatic rabbis are on the upswing politically.

Second, for Diana to qualify as a spouse, it would take five years if she’s not Jewish and residency here. Converting Orthodox is difficult and would take two years (and then the rabbis would check on her to make sure she’s keeping kosher etc.) Conversion is a big political issue here, the religious parties want to revoke recognition for people who are converted abroad by Reform or Conservative rabbis. So that’s out.

In other words, it’s a PITA here like in most places if they want to be Oly-eligible.

Dobre

Second, for Diana to qualify as a spouse, it would take five years if she’s not Jewish and residency here.
For clarity's sake, does this mean she could get citizenship after five years without residency there? Or that she would need the five years, plus the residency there?

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
For clarity's sake, does this mean she could get citizenship after five years without residency there? Or that she would need the five years, plus the residency there?
She would need both. Perhaps Papa Boris could get an exemption on residency because of training requirements, but as I said this government is not doing non-Jewish Russians and Ukrainians any favours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information