Russian figure skating news in 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD

sus2850

Golden Skate's Russian Nationals recap articles by discipline are linked from here: https://www.goldenskate.com/tag/2022-russian-nationals/
This link brings me to the result of nationals from December 2021. I guess the recent nationals have „2023“ in their title.
Here is for example the pairs’ report

Sylvia

TBD
:rolleyes: Maybe you could have posted that here instead:

Thanks for the heads up @sus2850 - I was able to edit in the 4 recap links in my original post.

Channel One Cup will be in Moscow, January 21-22, 2023: https://fsrussia.ru/calendar

On My Own

:rolleyes: Maybe you could have posted that here instead
Why so? Russian propaganda is pretty much always entangled with skating, might as well discuss in the skating thread. She also talks about Nationals in the interview, in fact.

On My Own

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

rfisher

Let the skating begin
There are reports on Twitter that Panfilova and Rylov have retired too.
Death in my soul. :drama: I guess the two years out due to injury were too much. They were so good. Figure skating is killing me. I knew it wasn't going to happen for Kostiukovich, but I clung to hope for Panfilova/Rybov. Everything they did (apart from her 3 jumps) were some of the best pair moves I've ever had the privilege to watch. There are no other Russian pairs with their level of talent at the moment. I'm just devastated but I totally understand the decision.

Last edited:

3T3T

Such sad and disappointing news but health comes first. The injuries sound quite severe, I hope his back does not hold him back in life. I wish them the best moving forward.

I always enjoyed their skating from when they appeared on the JGP. The sky high twist, the huge throws, the brilliant lifts. A real delight & joy to watch. For me this was their best performance, the YOG in 2020. They nearly broke 200.

greenapple

I hate to break it to you, @rfisher, but the only Senior career any Russian skaters have in the foreseeable future is domestic competition.

Not so brilliant.

:violin:
And those will likely be short lived. It is only a matter of time until they tire of endlessly competing only against each other. Once the faux competitions the Ruskies are running this season are done, I wonder how many will look forward to a repeat of that scenario next season.

caseyedwards

But isn’t it a fact that most of Russian skaters never went to competition outside Russia anyway? The best skaters with most potential may leave but the Russian competitions will always be there
Test skates
Russia cup series
Nationals
Shows

People made too much of Russia cup being renamed

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
But isn’t it a fact that most of Russian skaters never went to completions outside Russia anyway? The best skaters with most potential may leave but the Russian competitions will always be there
Test skates
Russia cup series
Nationals
Shows

People made too much of Russia cup being renamed
Sure, and it's the same that most US and Japanese and Canadian skaters (and Korean ladies) never go to competitions outside of their respective countries.

The problem for the Russians is that now there is not any chance they'll be competing outside of Russia and it's hard to see that changing anytime soon - certainly not this season and, quite possibly, not next fall either. At the bare minimum, there might be scant opportunities for a handful Russians to compete on the GP if at all - Shcherbakova, MishGal, BoiKoz, TarMor, & SinKats (and maybe StepBuk, Trusova & Valieva) are the only Russians who will be in the WS Top 24 by the end of this season so no one else is going to be eligible for even a single GP assignment; and only one skater/team per discipline is going to get a Euros or Worlds assignment.

My gut says that we won't see many country switches until September* at the earliest. Skaters & teams will hold out hope that Russia will be allowed back into competition as long as possible, and it won't be necessary for any of them to compete internationally and get their TES minimums for a new country until Oct-Dec, but it's going to become a critical situation if they can't get on the SB Top 75 list to set themselves up for the 2024-25 season. Senior level skaters who aren't Russia #1-2 will want to compete in at least one or two Challengers next fall.

*Pairs skaters and ice dancers who have split from their current season's partners - they could make the switch even sooner if they find a compatible partner from another country.

caseyedwards

Sure, and it's the same that most US and Japanese and Canadian skaters (and Korean ladies) never go to competitions outside of their respective countries.

The problem for the Russians is that now there is not any chance they'll be competing outside of Russia and it's hard to see that changing anytime soon - certainly not this season and, quite possibly, not next fall either. At the bare minimum, there might be scant opportunities for a handful Russians to compete on the GP if at all - Shcherbakova, MishGal, BoiKoz, TarMor, & SinKats (and maybe StepBuk, Trusova & Valieva) are the only Russians who will be in the WS Top 24 by the end of this season so no one else is going to be eligible for even a single GP assignment; and only one skater/team per discipline is going to get a Euros or Worlds assignment.

My gut says that we won't see many country switches until September* at the earliest. Skaters & teams will hold out hope that Russia will be allowed back into competition as long as possible, and it won't be necessary for any of them to compete internationally and get their TES minimums for a new country until Oct-Dec, but it's going to become a critical situation if they can't get on the SB Top 75 list to set themselves up for the 2024-25 season. Senior level skaters who aren't Russia #1-2 will want to compete in at least one or two Challengers next fall.

*Pairs skaters and ice dancers who have split from their current season's partners - they could make the switch even sooner if they find a compatible partner from another country.
But if skaters switch countries to compete internationally their post skating careers can they coach in Russia or do shows in Russia? They would have to move to america possibly if they switching to new countries created backlash. Russia seemingly has lots of skating related entertainment. Any info on leaving Russia and hoping to skate in shows in Japan and coach In America

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
But if skaters switch countries to compete internationally their post skating careers can they coach in Russia or do shows in Russia? They would have to move to america possibly if they switching to new countries created backlash. Russia seemingly has lots of skating related entertainment. Any info on leaving Russia and hoping to skate in shows in Japan and coach In America
Just how much money do you think the skaters who don't have any international hardware are likely to make in shows in Russia? The Russian economy is sputtering and skating shows aren't going to be subsidized by the oligarchs to the extent you seem to believe, at least not for skaters with Russian Nats 10th place or Russian Nats 7th place behind their names.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
No way in heck that Russians compete internationally until (a) the war ends and (b) a post-war reparations trial is held and concluded. Many years/seasons. Maybe the 2030 Olympics as a small representative body?

Bigbird

And those will likely be short lived. It is only a matter of time until they tire of endlessly competing only against each other. Once the faux competitions the Ruskies are running this season are done, I wonder how many will look forward to a repeat of that scenario next season.
Even with all that money?

Bigbird

Just how much money do you think the skaters who don't have any international hardware are likely to make in shows in Russia? The Russian economy is sputtering and skating shows aren't going to be subsidized by the oligarchs to the extent you seem to believe, at least not for skaters with Russian Nats 10th place or Russian Nats 7th place behind their names.
They pay Valieva, Tuktik, Sinkats and Medvedeva quite handsomely though.

caseyedwards

If the skaters leave Russia to win medals but they win them for other countries would they be invited to the shows in Russia? I was just wondering how the people would respond to trusova skating for France or something. If France or any country would allow Russians to transfer or Russia would release them. If no one is winning medals the shows still have to star people. But again you have a point all the oligarchs may stop funding them if they don’t have world medalists

alj5

I honestly think they could have been Olympic champs someday if everything had gone right.

BTW, you were the first one I thought of when I read the posts on Twitter.

I'm so sad. They had the potential to challenge at this last Olympics. They were my favorite pair team of this last Olympic cycle.

(ETA - referring to Panfilova & Rylov)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information