U.S. Figure Skating announces 2023-24 National Qualifying Series (NQS) competitions + Series Finals dates/locations

Ena Grins

It appears to be benefiting lower ranked skaters and teams that only had 1 GP - athletes already in the top 24 SB/WR, and athletes with 2 GP's have less need to be sent to a non-challenger Sr. B, and USFS is less likely to spend the $$ to send them there. The prior season points aren't offsetting that nearly enough (especially with current season events basically counting 2x with average & highest). The top 5 from US Nationals are put into the selection pool as well, so it's not like anyone is being left out, but seeing the numbers makes me think USFS is not going to rely too much on the ranking - otherwise Seo & Shin could be given higher consideration than skaters that beat them on the GP.

It seems like a reasonable way to put a pool of athletes together, but not a good solution for final selection (IMO).
Interestingly, it doesn't read as though the ranking will in and of itself decide who's on the team. The discretionary criteria section is (IMO) vaguer:
The performance data provided to the International Committee to enhance their discussion for the selection of the athletes/teams will include competition results and other reports/data relating to detailed results sheets of the competitions listed in section 1.2. The data derived from the detailed results sheets from these events will provide a body of work within a twelve-month period that will demonstrate the athlete’s/team’s consistency and ability to achieve medal potential scores at the 2024 World Championships. The data derived from protocols from the list of events, looking at consistency, competitiveness, and trending scores, will be a primary focus on discussing the ranking of the athletes/teams and determining who will be the best athletes that will have the most performance impact at the2024 World Championships.
This reads to me as the committee using the scores and detailed protocols from the events included in the ranking and reviewing for "consistency, competitiveness, and trend."

Basically, we'll know almost exactly who is in consideration for the World Team, but the actual team may be more up for interpretation.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Interestingly, it doesn't read as though the ranking will in and of itself decide who's on the team. The discretionary criteria section is (IMO) vaguer:

This reads to me as the committee using the scores and detailed protocols from the events included in the ranking and reviewing for "consistency, competitiveness, and trend."

Basically, we'll know almost exactly who is in consideration for the World Team, but the actual team may be more up for interpretation.
Yes, that's my interpretation as well. As @ice coverage said, the current season ranking data is only one way in which a skater/team can qualify for the selection pool. So, basically, it could save someone's skin from being ruled out of consideration if they have a decent fall season internationally but either bomb at Nats or have to WD for whatever reason.

I do wonder when the USFS will announce the 4CCs team since they're making the decision the 2nd week of December.

ice coverage

So if I have everything straight in my head re Four Continents consideration, "Calculation of Overall Athlete Performance Data" is what will enable Kapeikis, Seo, Martins/Bedard, Mokhova/Mokhov, and McNamara/Spiridonov to be included in the pool for consideration. (All fine by me.)

They don't fit other criteria, and per the numbers seen in Karen's tables for Four Continents, they realistically will not be displaced from the top five positions in Calculation of Overall Data, regardless of Golden Spin results or GPF results.

As @ice coverage said, the current season ranking data is only one way in which a skater/team can qualify for the selection pool. ...

If you're talking about "Calculation of Overall Athlete Performance Data," I think someone else deserves the credit for highlighting this point. :)

... So, basically, it could save someone's skin from being ruled out of consideration if they have a decent fall season internationally but either bomb at Nats or have to WD for whatever reason. ...

Not wishing either of these scenarios on anyone, but I will be curious to see who in top five of "Calculation of Overall Athlete Performance Data" for Worlds consideration did not meet any other criteria -- with 2024 Nats score getting the highest weighting factor (x 4) instead of score from sectionals or most recent international.

Last edited:

Karen-W

So if I have everything straight in my head re Four Continents consideration, "Calculation of Overall Athlete Performance Data" is what will enable Kapeikis, Seo, Martins/Bedard, Mokhova/Mokhov, and McNamara/Spiridonov to be included in the pool for consideration. (All fine by me.)
And Liu/Nagy also. :)

Not wishing either of these scenarios on anyone, but I will be curious to see who in top five of "Calculation of Overall Athlete Performance Data" for Worlds consideration did not meet any other criteria -- with 2024 Nats score getting the highest weighting factor (x 4) instead of score from sectionals or most recent international.

Seo, the Mokhovs and McNamara/Spiridonov seem to be the likely candidates. The Mokhovs and McNamara/Spiridonov have pretty low scores in that Sectional/Most recent int'l category, so their Nationals score can only go up one would hope. McNamara/Spiridonov aren't getting within spitting distance of Top 5 at Nats. The Mokhovs might, if they're clean, finish Top 5, but I'd be surprised, especially with Chan/Howe, McBeath/Parkman and Efimova/Mitrofanov in the mix. Same goes for Seo, though we know she is capable of scoring well, but there are those international juniors who are skating senior at Nats who can easily outscore her and the likes of Levito, Glenn and Thorngren whose scores this season are consistently much higher than Clare's.

ice coverage

And Liu/Nagy also. :)

But Liu/Nagy meet the criterion of Top 24 in ISU Season's World Ranking too -- currently #12.
That's why I did not list them.

My previous post was about skaters for whom Calculation of Overall Data is "the only thing" (in hindsight, should have used that wording) that will enable them to be included in the pool for Four Continents consideration.

ETA:​

... Seo, the Mokhovs and McNamara/Spiridonov seem to be the likely candidates. The Mokhovs and McNamara/Spiridonov have pretty low scores in that Sectional/Most recent int'l category, so their Nationals score can only go up one would hope. McNamara/Spiridonov aren't getting within spitting distance of Top 5 at Nats. The Mokhovs might, if they're clean, finish Top 5, but I'd be surprised, especially with Chan/Howe, McBeath/Parkman and Efimova/Mitrofanov in the mix. Same goes for Seo, though we know she is capable of scoring well, but there are those international juniors who are skating senior at Nats who can easily outscore her and the likes of Levito, Glenn and Thorngren whose scores this season are consistently much higher than Clare's.

For Worlds consideration, I am definitely worried about McNamara/Spiridonov falling out of the top five of Calculation of Overall Data. In your table for Four Continents, they are in fifth position and not even two points ahead of Carreira/Ponomarenko.

Just roughly eyeballing your Four Continents table for Women, I am concerned whether Seo's small-ish "cushion" will be sufficient to keep her in top five of Calculation of Overall Data for Worlds consideration. I think it will depend on scores from Golden Spin and from Nats.

Agree that Mokhova/Mokhov will not fall out of top five of Calculation of Overall Data for Worlds consideration, and it could turn out to be the (only) reason that they do receive Worlds consideration.​

Just noticed that a skater has competed in three disciplines of NQS this season.

Matthew Soifer of Skokie Valley Skating Club and his Intermediate Pairs partner just won U.S. Pairs Final.

With his Novice Dance partner, Matthew is eligible to compete at U.S. Ice Dance Final.

Matthew also is eligible to compete in Junior Men at Midwestern Sectionals.

Triple threat Matthew Soifer did go on to compete at U.S. Ice Dance Final too.

Thanks to @azcalder for interviewing him (and other ice dancers) at the event.​

... Note: USFS has yet to announce their 2024 Youth Olympic Games team (selection criterion is highest NQS score of the YOG age-eligible skaters in each discipline) and it is expected to be Jacob Sanchez (presumably this is why he did not compete at Easterns), Sherry Zhang, Olivia Ilin/Dylan Cain and Cayla Smith/Jared McPike (only YOG age-eligible pair).
Zhang (won the Pacific Coast Junior Women's event) and Ilin/Cain (Dance Final 4th place pewter medalists) would miss 2024 Nationals if they are confirmed to be going to YOG in South Korea.
Once named, their alternates to Nationals would be: Teryn Kim (Pacific Coast 5th in Junior Women) and Zoe Cialella/David Goldshteyn (11th in Junior at the Ice Dance Final). ...

Follow-up to Sylvia's post from Nov 21:​

No surprises in YOG entries now added to USFS assignments page, as of Nov 27:
Zhang; Sanchez; Smith/McPike; Ilin/Cain.

And USFS has updated Nationals lists on Nov 27.
They now show withdrawals of Sherry Zhang and Ilin/Cain; and additions of Teryn Kim and Cialella/Goldshteyn.

Last edited:

ice coverage

And, the Men - red indicates one competition remaining
SkaterSectional
GPF
GP Highest
GP Average
CS Highest
CS Average
Sr B Highest
Sr B Average
Prev Season
Total
Hiwatashi
996.44​
0​
0​
0​
149.37​
149.37​
0​
1630.87​

Sorry, am I forgetting something? 🤔 Did Tomoki compete at a Senior B this season?

Karen-W

Sorry, am I forgetting something? 🤔 Did Tomoki compete at a Senior B this season?

Whoops! I copied and pasted the formulas from the Women's spreadsheet and forgot to delete the score from that, lol.

He's still in the same spot on the table and whatever points he gets from Golden Spin won't change his position on it.

Hiwatashi
996.44​
0​
0​
0​
223.79​
111.895​
0​
0​
0​
1332.13​

ETA - I don't know what happened, but it looks like I screwed up Martynov's line as well - which is going to prompt me to review my whole Men's table...

Martynov
789.44​
0​
0​
0​
197.36​
197.36​
0​
0​
0​
1184.16​

ETA2 - Kapeikis also had one minor error -
Kapeikis
787.76​
0​
275.1875​
260.68125​
181.03​
181.03​
145.0425​
145.0425​
0​
1975.77​

Last edited:

ice coverage

Me again. ;)

Do not think it ultimately will make a difference in terms of assignments, but ... taking a closer look at the fine print for the selection procedures, I am sorry to say that for Senior Men, I do not think Kings Cup International will count as a Senior B for Calculation of Overall Data.
"* Note: Events must meet the criteria for Eligible Events as defined by the ISU in Communication #1629, page 4, paragraphs C.1.4 and C.2.3 to be used as part of the selection process."

C.1.4 from ISU Communication No. 1629:
"International Senior Competitions, provided there are minimum 8 single skaters, respectively 6 Ice Dance couples out of four ISU Members present respectively 5 Pairs out of three ISU Members."

Per Kings Cup results page: Out of seven Senior Men entries, six completed the event.
Which seems to be why Goku Endo did not earn any ISU World Standings points for Kings Cup, as I noticed today for the first time. :(
(Presumably also true for other Senior Men from Kings Cup, although I have not checked.
And same problem for Junior Men from Kings Cup.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information