U.S. Figure Skating announces 2023-24 National Qualifying Series (NQS) competitions + Series Finals dates/locations

Sylvia

TBD
Thorngren doesn't get a bye? So she has to compete at Easterns?
Her NHK Trophy assignment is Nov. 24-26 and Easterns ends on Nov. 5 so I assume she won’t get a bye (in the past, internationals held in Asia would give skaters a bye if their Sectional took place 2 weeks before or after, IIRC). ETA: Although Easterns is next week, so maybe she will get a bye due to competing at Skate Canada this week? We’ll find out soon enough.
So according to the numbers above, 10 Senior Women qualify for Nats from the singles finals....6 automatic and then top 4 scorers across the board?
Yes, same with the men.

Sylvia

TBD
For anyone who lives in the area of one of the 3 Sectionals, here's the current ticket info:

Eastern Sectional Singles Finals
Singles | Wed.-Sun. Nov. 1-5 | Florida Panthers IceDen in Coral Springs, Florida
Ticket info: https://apps.daysmartrecreation.com/dash/x/#/online/panthers/programs/level/3423?facility_ids=1&
ALL EVENT PASS (Nov. 1-5) PRE-PURCHASE $50 Per Person; ON SITE $80 Per Person (Nov. 1-5)
PRE-PURCHASE $15 Per Day Per Person; ON SITE $20 Per Day Per Person

Pacific Coast Sectional Singles & U.S. Pairs Final
Singles; Pairs | Tue.-Sun. Nov. 7-12 | Tacoma Twin Rinks in Tacoma, Washington
Ticket info: http://www.pacificnwinterclub.com/pacific-coast-sectionals.html
Pre-Sale price ends on Nov 3rd:
All Events Pass - Adults (18-63) $40.00 / $60.00 regular price
All Events Pass - Child (4-17) & Senior (64 & older) $20.00 / $30.00 regular price
Day Pass for Adult (18-63) $10.00 / $20.00 regular price
Day pass for Child (4-18) & Senior (64 & up) $5.00 / $10.00 regular price

Midwestern Sectional Singles & U.S. Ice Dance Final
Singles; Ice Dance | Nov. 14-19 | Bloomington Ice Garden in Bloomington, Minnesota
Ticket info: not yet available online

Senior/Junior events will be livestreamed on Peacock; Novice, Intermediate & Juvenile events will be livestreamed on USFS" Fan Zone platform.

ice coverage

... Novice, Intermediate & Juvenile events will be livestreamed on USFS' Fan Zone platform.

For Novice, Intermediate, Juvenile ... maybe USFS YouTube channel too?

So far, "Upcoming" links to streams for Eastern Sectionals events on Thu Nov 2 are shown at:

(Sorry if I am late to the party re YouTube links.
USFS event page for Easterns still refers only to FanZone for Novice, Intermediate, Juvenile. :unsure: )

Sylvia

TBD
(Sorry if I am late to the party re YouTube links.
USFS event page for Easterns still refers only to FanZone for Novice, Intermediate, Juvenile. :unsure: )
Thank you! USFS' YT channel livestreamed all 4(?) days of the ISU Adult International competition in Nashville last week but you could only watch while live. Maybe the Fan Zone platform will archive the replay streams for a period of time, like last season?

I plan to create one competition thread for all 3 U.S. Sectional qualifying competitions (even though they will be held across 3 consecutive weeks this year, yay) in the Kiss & Cry section as soon as the Easterns starting orders are published.

ice coverage

For Novice, Intermediate, Juvenile ... maybe USFS YouTube channel too?

So far, "Upcoming" links to streams for Eastern Sectionals events on Thu Nov 2 are shown at:

...​

Correcting myself: YouTube streaming for Eastern Sectionals starts tomorrow Wed Nov 1 with Juvenile Girls (at 3:30 pm ET).
Apologies for my error above of lumping Juv Girls with the following day's streaming.

YouTube streaming on Thu Nov 2 will be for Intermediate Women SP, Intermediate Men SP, Novice Men SP. Also for Juvenile Boys.

(Not on YouTube, but also on Thu Nov 2 will be Junior Men.)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I've created one competition thread for the 3 U.S. Sectionals in the Kiss & Cry section now that the Eastern Sectional Singles Final starting orders are posted: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...l-springs-fl-tacoma-wa-bloomington-mn.111174/
For those without access, I've tweeted the relevant links on X: https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1719474415987986649

Re-posting here from the Kiss & Cry thread:
The "Advancement to the 2024 U.S. Figure Skating Championships & High Performance National Development Camp" 6-page document confirms all the byes to Nationals: https://www.usfigureskating.org/sites/default/files/media-files/Columbus_PreAnnouncement_FINAL.pdf

Senior Women (9): Levito, Tennell, Glenn, Andrews, Josephine Lee (registered to skate at Pacifics and will advance regardless of placement & will not displace a qualifer), Shin, Ziegler, Thorngren, Lin-Gracey

Senior Men (8): Malinin, Brown, Torgashev, Naumov, Ma, Broussard, Pulkinen, Martynov

Senior Ice Dance teams (9): Chock/Bates, Green/Parsons, Carreira/Ponomarenko, Zingas/Kolesnik, Bratti/Somerville, Hawayek/Baker, Pate/Bye, Brown/Brown, McNamara/Spiridonov

Senior Pairs (5): Chan/Howe, Kam/O’Shea, Plazas/Fernandez, Mokhova/Mokhov, Liu/Nagy

Junior Ice Dance (2): Neset/Markelov, Pedersen/Chen (registered to skate in the Ice Dance Final and will advance regardless of placement & will not displace a qualifer)

Junior Pairs (1): Flores/Wang

ice coverage

The USFS document now is showing that Liam Kapeikis has a bye to Nats. 🤔
(I know that it originally did not include Liam as a bye.)

Liam is the ninth bye for Senior Men for Nats.
Meaning that top two from each section will advance to Nats, along with the three with "Next Best National Scores."

Liam also is listed in starting order for Pacific Coast Sectionals.
If he really does compete there, his placement presumably will not affect anyone's advancement to Nats (including his own).

[Sorry if Liam already has been discussed in @Sylvia's Kiss and Cry thread(s).]

Last edited:

Stephanie

The USFS document now is showing that Liam Kapeikis has a bye to Nats. 🤔
(I know that it originally did not include Liam as a bye.)

Liam is the ninth bye for Senior Men for Nats.
Meaning that top two from each section will advance to Nats, along with the three with "Next Best National Scores."

Liam also is listed in starting order for Pacific Coast Sectionals.
If he really does compete there, his placement presumably will not affect anyone's advancement to Nats (including his own).

(Sorry if Liam already has been discussed in Kiss and Cry thread.)
Interesting. I wonder if this means he got the open spot at the Espoo GP. That's the only logical reason I can think of that would allow for a bye.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Just noticed that a skater has competed in three disciplines of NQS this season.

Matthew Soifer of Skokie Valley Skating Club and his Intermediate Pairs partner just won U.S. Pairs Final.

With his Novice Dance partner, Matthew is eligible to compete at U.S. Ice Dance Final.

Matthew also is eligible to compete in Junior Men at Midwestern Sectionals.

Debbie S

Cross-posted from the K&C thread, my thoughts on the current qualifying setup...

I think capping the Nats fields to 3 warmup groups makes sense for pairs and dance, b/c there are just not that many teams. Even when we had the top 4 rule, not all sections even filled their quota. But with singles, I think they should go back to the top 4 from each section, plus however many byes. There are so many skaters that really do deserve to be at Nats outside of the top 2 (and a few, variable, at-large spots).

Yes, 3 extra skaters this year (21 instead of 18) would mean another warmup group and 30 minutes added on to each event, but if USFS truly cares about development, they need to give more up and coming skaters the opportunity to compete on the big stage. (And I think they should also go back to having a regular Novice event at Nats.)

skatingguy

decently
Cross-posted from the K&C thread, my thoughts on the current qualifying setup...

I think capping the Nats fields to 3 warmup groups makes sense for pairs and dance, b/c there are just not that many teams. Even when we had the top 4 rule, not all sections even filled their quota. But with singles, I think they should go back to the top 4 from each section, plus however many byes. There are so many skaters that really do deserve to be at Nats outside of the top 2 (and a few, variable, at-large spots).

Yes, 3 extra skaters this year (21 instead of 18) would mean another warmup group and 30 minutes added on to each event, but if USFS truly cares about development, they need to give more up and coming skaters the opportunity to compete on the big stage. (And I think they should also go back to having a regular Novice event at Nats.)
If you're adding 3 skaters, you might as well add 6 & make 4 full warm up groups. Adding 3 skaters means adding more practice sessions so might as well make it a full session.

Sylvia

TBD
USFS' press release today (Nov. 21, 2023):

"The following athletes have qualified for the 2024 U.S. Championships (and how they qualified)" with Sectional placements added below by me:

* = qualified by having one of the "next best national scores" at Sectionals (3 men & 4 women with Tennell's injury WD that she announced last week on her Instagram)

Senior Women (18)
Starr Andrews (bye)
Alex Evans (senior sectionals) E-2
Sarah Everhardt (senior sectionals) E-1
Amber Glenn (bye)
Sonja Hilmer (senior sectionals) M-3*
Mia Kalin (senior sectionals) P-3
Josephine Lee (bye) P-1 (elected to compete & won so 2nd & 3rd moved into the automatic qualifying spots)
Michelle Lee (senior sectionals) M-4*
Soho Lee (senior sectionals) P-4*
Isabeau Levito (bye)
Elyce Lin-Gracey (bye)
Clare Seo (senior sectionals) M-2
Katie Shen (senior sectionals) P-2
Audrey Shin (bye)
Lindsay Thorngren (bye)
Lindsay Wang (senior sectionals) P-5*
Wren Warne-Jacobsen (senior sectionals) M-1
Ava Ziegler (bye)

Senior Men (18)
Will Annis (senior sectionals) E-1
Lucas Broussard (bye)
Jason Brown (bye)
Goku Endo (senior sectionals) P-1
Tomoki Hiwatashi (senior sectionals) M-1
Liam Kapeikis (bye)
Joseph Klein (senior sectionals) M-2
Kai Kovar (senior sectionals) P-3*
Jimmy Ma (bye)
Ilia Malinin (bye)
Daniel Martynov (bye)
Samuel Mindra (senior sectionals) P-5*
Maxim Naumov (bye)
Yaroslav Paniot (senior sectionals) P-2
Camden Pulkinen (bye)
Daniel Samohin (senior sectionals) E-2
Andrew Torgashev (bye)
Michael Xie (senior sectionals) P-4*

Senior Pairs (12)
Emily Chan and Spencer Howe (bye)
Nica Digerness and Mark Sadusky (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-5
Alisa Efimova and Misha Mitrofanov (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-2
Linzy Fitzpatrick and Keyton Bearinger (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-6
Ellie Kam and Danny O’Shea (bye)
Ellie Korytek and Timothy Chapman (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-4
Chelsea Liu and Balazs Nagy (bye)
Isabelle Martins and Ryan Bedard (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-3
Katie McBeath and Daniil Parkman (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-1
Maria Mokhova and Ivan Mokhov (bye)
Valentina Plazas and Maximiliano Fernandez (bye)
Megan Wessenberg and Edoardo Caputo (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-7

Senior Ice Dance (15)
Emily Bratti and Ian Somerville (bye)
Oona Brown and Gage Brown (bye)
Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko (bye)
Madison Chock and Evan Bates (bye)
Isabella Flores and Ivan Desyatov (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-2
Caroline Green and Michael Parsons (bye)
Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker (bye)
Raffaella Koncius and Alexey Shchepetov (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-4
Klara Kowar and Thomas Schwappach (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-5
Angela Ling and Caleb Wein (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-3
Lorraine McNamara and Anton Spiridonov (bye)
Cara Murphy and Joshua Levitt (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-6
Eva Pate and Logan Bye (bye)
Katarina Wolfkostin and Dimitry Tsarevski (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-1
Emilea Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik (bye)

Junior Women (18)
Sofia Bezkorovainaya (junior sectionals) E-1
Alina Bonillo (junior sectionals) M-3
Annika Chao (junior sectionals) P-2
Jasmine Clarke (novice sectionals) E-N2
Ela Cui (junior sectionals) E-4
Logan Higase-Chen (junior sectionals) M-1
Keira Hilbelink (junior sectionals) P-4
Jiaying Ellyse Johnson (junior sectionals) M-4
Jessica Jurka (junior sectionals) M-2
Hannah Kim (novice sectionals) P-N2
Emilia Nemirovsky (novice sectionals) M-N1
Cleo Park (junior sectionals) P-3
Maria Platonova (junior sectionals) E-2
Angela Shao (novice sectionals) M-N2
Sophie Joline von Felten (junior sectionals) E-3
Elena Wilson (novice sectionals) P-N1
Sherry Zhang (junior sectionals) P-1
Zhiqi "Coco" Zhang (novice sectionals) E-N1

Junior Men (20)
Ryan William Azadpour (novice sectionals) P-N2
Nicholas Brooks (junior sectionals) P-1
Lorenzo Elano (junior sectionals) M-4
Sergei Evseev (junior sectionals) P-2
Caleb Farrington (novice sectionals) E-N1
Aleksandr Fegan (junior sectionals) E-3
Kirk Haugeto (junior sectionals) E-2
Lucius Kazanecki (junior sectionals) E-1
Alvin Luu (novice sectionals) M-N3
Jon Maravilla (junior sectionals) P-4 (competed out of section due to pairs so P-5 included)
Antonio Monaco (junior sectionals) M-3
August Perthus (novice sectionals) P-N1
Marlo Rosen (novice sectionals) M-N1
Ryedin Rudedenman (novice sectionals) M-N2 (competed out of section due to dance so M-N3 included)
Jared Sedlis (junior sectionals) E-4
Taira Shinohara (junior sectionals) M-1
Beck Strommer (junior sectionals) M-2
Alek Tankovic (novice sectionals) E-N2
Vaclav Vasquez (junior sectionals) P-3
Luke Wang (junior sectionals) P-5

Junior Pairs (9)
Saya Carpenter and Jon Maravilla (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-4
Sydney Cooke and Matthew Kennedy (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-1
Melania Delis and Jaden Schwab (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-7
Ashley Fletcher and Aaron Felberbaum (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-6
Olivia Flores and Luke Wang (bye)
Reagan Moss and Jakub Galbavy (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-5
Audrey Park and Carter Griffin (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-2
Naomi Williams and Lachlan Lewer (bye)
Adele Zheng and Andy Deng (U.S. Pairs Final) PF-3

Junior Ice Dance (12)
Kristina Bland and Matthew Sperry (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-7
Amy Cui and Kenny Eckert (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-6
Julia Epps and Blake Gilman (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-9
Jenna Hauer and Benjamin Starr (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-1
Olivia Ilin and Dylan Cain (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-4
Sylvia Li and Rowan Le Coq (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-10
Caroline Mullen and Brendan Mullen (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-3
Leah Neset and Artem Markelov (bye)
Eliana Peal and Ethan Peal (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-2
Yahli Pedersen and Jeffrey Chen (bye)
Emily Renzi and William Lissauer (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-8
Grace Yi and Danila Savelev (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-5

Novice Pairs (4)
Jolena Grohne and Reede Lunt (U.S. Pairs Final) N2
Sofia Jarmoc and Luke Witkowski (U.S. Pairs Final) N3
Milada Kovar and Nickolai Apter (U.S. Pairs Final) N4
Baylen Taich and Michael Chapa (U.S. Pairs Final) N1

Novice Ice Dance (5)
Jasmine Robertson and Cooper Cornwell (U.S. Ice Dance Final) N1
Anaelle Kouevi and Yann Homawoo (U.S. Ice Dance Final) N2
Michelle Deych and Ryan Hu (U.S. Ice Dance Final) N3
Ja Yi Kirwan and Drake Tong (U.S. Ice Dance Final) N4
Clara Fugate and Warren Fugate (U.S. Ice Dance Final) N5

Note: USFS has yet to announce their 2024 Youth Olympic Games team (selection criterion is highest NQS score of the YOG age-eligible skaters in each discipline) and it is expected to be Jacob Sanchez (presumably this is why he did not compete at Easterns), Sherry Zhang, Olivia Ilin/Dylan Cain and Cayla Smith/Jared McPike (only YOG age-eligible pair).
Zhang (won the Pacific Coast Junior Women's event) and Ilin/Cain (Dance Final 4th place pewter medalists) would miss 2024 Nationals if they are confirmed to be going to YOG in South Korea.
Once named, their alternates to Nationals would be: Teryn Kim (Pacific Coast 5th in Junior Women) and Zoe Cialella/David Goldshteyn (11th in Junior at the Ice Dance Final).

ETA that I will cross-post to the 4 U.S. threads by discipline.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
USFS selection procedures for 2024 Worlds, 2024 Four Continents, and 2024 Junior Worlds have been published on USFS site.
For "Calculation of Overall Athlete Performance Data," weighting factors for different events now are specified -- all of which looks very interesting.
I have not gone through everything closely yet (especially the parts about how previous season is taken into account), but ...

Of relevance to this thread, Four Continents selection procedures include "Current Sectional Final," with a high weighting factor.
(And Four Continents selection does not include the current U.S. Nats. 🤔)

1. Current Sectional Final (factor 4.0)
a. If not at Sectional Final due to bye, most recent international score will be used at the same factor.​
2. Most recent ISU Grand Prix Final (factor 3.0)
3. Grand Prix Score: Highest & Average (factor 1.25)
4. Challenger Score: Highest & Average (factor 1.0)
5. Senior B Score: Highest & Average (factor 0.75)
6. Previous Season’s Total Score (see appendix) (factor 15)

World Team Selection Procedures:

World Junior Selection Procedures:

Can someone explain to me how the weighting factor works?
Still wondering if someone can explain the weighting factor and how it works. I'm trying to understand why it is that LAST season's total score is given a factor of 15, which is more than the CURRENT season's maximum combined factor (10) by 50%. It seems bizarre that the USFS would weigh last season's score so much more than this season. It .awesome me wonder if it is a typo and last season's factor should be 1.5 not 15.

ETA - I just looked at the Appendix and it makes more sense now, and the factor of 15 also makes sense too. They're giving points for placements for certain events.

Appendix: Calculation of Overall Athlete Performance Data Point 6: Total 2022-2023 Competition Score (factor 15)

2022 Olympics/2023 Worlds
Champion receives 12 points, 2-3 receives 10 points, 4-8 receives 5 points
(better placement of the two)

2023 Four Continents
Top 3 receives 6 points, 4-5 receives 3 points

2023 World Juniors
Top 3 receives 8 points

2023 U.S. Championships
Champion receives 4 points, 2-3 receives 2 points

Previous Partner-Pairs/Ice Dance
Most recent partner within the current quad, only the listed competitions above with previous partner receive .25 points of their awarded points

Based on the table above -

Men -
Malinin - (10+4)×15 = 210
Brown - (5+2)×15 = 105
Torgashev - 2×15 = 30

Women -
Levito - (5+4)×15 = 135
Glenn - 2×15 = 30

Pairs -
Chan/Howe - (5+6+2)×15 = 195
Plazas/Fernandez - 3×15 = 45
Kam/O'Shea - 2×15 = 30

Dance -
Chock/Bates - (12+6+4)×15 = 330
Green/Parsons - (5+3+2)×15 = 150
Carreira/Ponomarenko - (3+2)×15 = 75

I'll have to set up an Excel spreadsheet to calculate this season's scores and factoring, but that's a project for when I'm not so sleepy, lol.

Last edited:

ice coverage

... LAST season's total score is given a factor of 15 ...

ETA - I just looked at the Appendix and it makes more sense now, and the factor of 15 also makes sense too. They're giving points for placements for certain events.

Based on the table above -

Pairs -
Chan/Howe - (5+6+2)×15 = 195
Plazas/Fernandez - 3×15 = 45 ...

For Four Continents selection points given for last season's placements, I think Kam/O'Shea's third place at Nats means they also receive some: 2 x 15 = 30

Last edited:

Karen-W

For Four Continents selection points given for last season's placements, I think Kam/O'Shea's third place at Nats means they also receive some: 2 x 15 = 30
Oh, you're right. I forgot they finished 3rd at Nats. I'll edit.

Karen-W

Okay, so I've started working on the calculations and I started with Ice Dance - red indicates one competition left.

SkaterSectional
GPF
GP Highest
GP Average
CS Highest
CS Average
Sr B Highest
Sr B Average
Prev Season
Total
Pate/Bye
738.32​
0​
230.725​
228.775​
191.2​
191.2​
133.4625​
133.4625​
0​
1847.15​
Brown/Brown
750.48​
0​
234.525​
228.01875​
177.66​
177.66​
135.495​
135.495​
0​
1839.33​
Green/Parsons
757.32​
0​
236.6625​
234​
168.56​
168.56​
0​
0​
150​
1715.10​
Chock/Bates
837.84​
266.2​
264.0125​
0​
0​
0​
0​
330​
1698.05​
McNamara/Spiridonov
671.36​
0​
209.8​
207.55625​
167.77​
167.77​
126.8625​
126.8625​
0​
1677.98​
Carreira/Ponomarenko
755.04​
0​
235.95​
234.6625​
191.14​
184.525​
0​
0​
75​
1676.32​
Zingas/Kolesnik
0​
231.2​
230.4625​
0​
0​
0​
1477.70​
Bratti/Somerville
733.72​
0​
229.2875​
226.7625​
177.66​
177.66​
0​
0​
0​
1545.09​
Wolfkostin/Tsarevski
742.16​
0​
0​
0​
172.88​
168.11​
0​
0​
0​
1083.15​
Ling/Wein
665.52​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
115.3875​
115.3875​
0​
896.30​
Flores/Desyatov
713.44​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
713.44​
Koncius/Shchepetov
623.92​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
623.92​
Kowar/Schwappach
530.36​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
530.36​
Murphy/Levitt
482.68​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
482.68​
Hawayek/Baker
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0.00​

Last edited:

Karen-W

Next up is Pairs - red indicates one competition left.

SkaterSectional
GPF
GP Highest
GP Average
CS Highest
CS Average
Sr B Highest
Sr B Average
Prev Season
Total
Liu/Nagy
690.4​
0​
222.075​
218.9125​
165.2​
165.2​
133.4625​
133.4625​
0​
1728.71​
Kam/O'Shea
608.64​
0​
190.2​
190.2​
182.07​
182.07​
133.4625​
133.4625​
30​
1650.11​
Plazas/Fernandez
0​
210.25​
203.3​
121.1325​
121.1325​
45​
1627.67​
Martins/Bedard
662.92​
0​
193.325​
193.325​
152.64​
152.64​
101.3775​
101.3775​
0​
1557.61​
Mokhova/Mokhov
539.24​
0​
168.5125​
168.5125​
127.05​
127.05​
109.3125​
109.3125​
0​
1348.99​
Ouellette/Newby-Estrella
573.28​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
102.975​
100.75125​
0​
777.01​
Hanns/Neudecker
550.12​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
103.1475​
103.1475​
0​
756.42​
Digerness/Sadusky
611.8​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
611.80​
Fitzpatrick/Bearinger
587.8​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
587.80​
Wessenberg/Caputo
578.72​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
578.72​
Chan/Howe
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
195​
195.00​

ice coverage

Okay, so I've started working on the calculations and I started with Ice Dance - red indicates one competition left.

SkaterSectional
GPF
GP Highest
GP Average
CS Highest
CS Average
Sr B Highest
Sr B Average
Prev Season
Total
Zingas/Kolesnik
0​
231.2​
230.4625​
0​
0​
0​
1477.70​

You are an indefatigable number-cruncher. 🔢

I guess your spreadsheet is temporarily giving Z/K a future score of 0 for Golden Spin, which will be their second CS?
Causing their CS Average to look deceptively low.
(And making their "Total" look a little off too -- but interestingly, the sorting in the "Total" column seems to give them credit for a CS Average equal to their one known CS score from Nepela?)

General comment that per the USFS procedures, competing in a Senior B has what I would call a sort of magnified effect for the few dancers who did, because the score counts two times both as Senior B Highest and as Senior B Average.

Last edited:

Karen-W

You are an indefatigable number-cruncher. 🔢

I guess your spreadsheet is temporarily giving Z/K a future score of 0 for Golden Spin, which will be their second CS?
Causing their CS Average to look deceptively low.
(And making their "Total" look a little off too -- but interestingly, the sorting in the "Total" column seems to give them credit for a CS Average equal to their one known CS score from Nepela?)

General comment that per the USFS procedures, competing in a Senior B has what I would call a sort of magnified effect for the few dancers who did, because the score counts both as Senior B Highest and Senior B Average.
Yes - the formula I have for the CS Average is ((X+Y)/2)*1.0, so right now both ZingKol and PlaFern are going to gain points after Golden Spin. Same for the singles skaters assigned there.

I agree - doing a Senior B certainly benefitted some teams unexpectedly. But it also seems fairer because those teams/skaters were able to be healthy all season and there's something to be said for that.

ice coverage

Schwappach finally makes it to Nats! Please cheer loudly for him as he’s been trying for so long.

(y) Kowar/Schwappach's advancement was the #1 headline from Dance Final for me. Very excited for them.

Yes - the formula I have for the CS Average is ((X+Y)/2)*1.0, so right now both ZingKol and PlaFern are going to gain points after Golden Spin. Same for the singles skaters assigned there. ....

So happens that I have favorites competing at Golden Spin in every discipline. :)

Karen-W

Okay - here are the Women - red indicates one competition remaining.
SkaterSectional
GPF
GP Highest
GP Average
CS Highest
CS Average
Sr B Highest
Sr B Average
Prev Season
Total
Ziegler
802​
0​
250.625​
250.625​
173.6​
165.495​
137.8425​
137.8425​
0​
1918.03​
Levito
812.88​
260.1875​
257.10625​
198.79​
198.79​
0​
0​
135​
1862.75​
Seo
681.64​
0​
204.7125​
204.7125​
171.94​
171.94​
111.3525​
111.3525​
0​
1657.65​
Shin
627.36​
0​
221.425​
208.7375​
169.04​
169.04​
128.5875​
128.5875​
0​
1652.78​
Thorngren
794.92​
0​
248.4125​
242.65625​
0​
0​
149.37​
149.37​
0​
1584.73​
Lin-Gracey
710​
0​
0​
0​
177.5​
177.5​
121.935​
121.935​
0​
1308.87​
Andrews
0​
218.525​
205.775​
125.2125​
125.2125​
0​
1292.41​
Glenn
0​
237.0375​
234.3875​
0​
0​
30​
1242.99​
Hilmer
653.24​
0​
0​
0​
160.13​
160.13​
121.05​
121.05​
0​
1215.60​
Everhardt
648.2​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
120.8325​
120.8325​
0​
889.87​
Warne-Jacobsen
683.72​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
96.6525​
96.6525​
0​
877.03​
Herrera
583.64​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
117.645​
117.645​
0​
818.93​
Pierce
575.4​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
93.9525​
93.9525​
0​
763.31​
Shen
740.84​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
740.84​
Evans
638.8​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
638.80​
M Lee
637.8​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
637.80​
L Wang
636.6​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
636.60​

beckab81

I agree - doing a Senior B certainly benefitted some teams unexpectedly. But it also seems fairer because those teams/skaters were able to be healthy all season and there's something to be said for that.
It appears to be benefiting lower ranked skaters and teams that only had 1 GP - athletes already in the top 24 SB/WR, and athletes with 2 GP's have less need to be sent to a non-challenger Sr. B, and USFS is less likely to spend the $$ to send them there. The prior season points aren't offsetting that nearly enough (especially with current season events basically counting 2x with average & highest). The top 5 from US Nationals are put into the selection pool as well, so it's not like anyone is being left out, but seeing the numbers makes me think USFS is not going to rely too much on the ranking - otherwise Seo & Shin could be given higher consideration than skaters that beat them on the GP.

It seems like a reasonable way to put a pool of athletes together, but not a good solution for final selection (IMO).

Karen-W

And, the Men - red indicates one competition remaining
SkaterSectional
GPF
GP Highest
GP Average
CS Highest
CS Average
Sr B Highest
Sr B Average
Prev Season
Total
Malinin
1218.72​
388.0875​
384.46875​
281.68​
281.68​
0​
0​
210​
2764.64​
Ma
765.04​
0​
260.1875​
247.7625​
191.08​
191.08​
166.8675​
166.8675​
0​
1988.89​
Kapeikis
787.76​
0​
275.1875​
260.68125​
177.5​
177.5​
145.0425​
145.0425​
0​
1968.71​
Torgashev
878.68​
0​
274.5875​
274.5875​
233.26​
233.26​
0​
0​
30​
1924.38​
Pulkinen
917.28​
0​
288.55​
287.6​
210.46​
210.46​
0​
0​
0​
1914.35​
Broussard
724.6​
0​
226.4375​
226.4375​
216.1​
216.1​
130.7325​
130.7325​
0​
1871.14​
Naumov
842.12​
0​
263.1625​
263.1625​
201.71​
201.71​
0​
0​
0​
1771.87​
Hiwatashi
996.44​
0​
0​
0​
149.37​
149.37​
0​
1630.87​
Brown
681.64​
0​
0​
0​
236.75​
236.75​
0​
0​
105​
1260.14​
Endo
907.52​
0​
0​
0​
173.5575​
173.5575​
0​
1254.64​
Paniot
873.8​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
166.935​
166.935​
0​
1207.67​
Kovar
832.36​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
139.4625​
139.4625​
0​
1111.29​
Mindra
791.04​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
152.235​
146.27625​
0​
1089.55​
Annis
801.24​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
140.2125​
140.2125​
0​
1081.67​
Klein
792.96​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
133.35​
133.35​
0​
1059.66​
Murzin
773.8​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
141.3​
141.3​
0​
1056.40​
Zharkov
748.04​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
140.2575​
140.2575​
0​
1028.56​
Samohin
780.56​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
780.56​
Martynov
789.44​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
96.6525​
96.6525​
0​
982.75​
Xie
795.36​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
795.36​

Karen-W

It appears to be benefiting lower ranked skaters and teams that only had 1 GP - athletes already in the top 24 SB/WR, and athletes with 2 GP's have less need to be sent to a non-challenger Sr. B, and USFS is less likely to spend the $$ to send them there. The prior season points aren't offsetting that nearly enough (especially with current season events basically counting 2x with average & highest). The top 5 from US Nationals are put into the selection pool as well, so it's not like anyone is being left out, but seeing the numbers makes me think USFS is not going to rely too much on the ranking - otherwise Seo & Shin could be given higher consideration than skaters that beat them on the GP.

It seems like a reasonable way to put a pool of athletes together, but not a good solution for final selection (IMO).
Yes, the selection pool includes the following:

1) Top 5 from the "Calculation of Overall Athlete Performance Data" (for 4CCs the athlete/team must have submitted an Intent to Compete form prior to the Int'l Committee's meeting on Dec 11-12)
2) Top 5 from US Nationals (2023 for 4CCs, 2024 for Worlds)
3) Top 10 from 2023 Worlds
4) All 2022 Olympic Team Members
5) Any athlete/team in the Top 24 of the CURRENT season's World Rankings
6) Any other athlete/team if unanimously approved by the Int'l Committee

So, the Selection Pool for each discipline should be:

Men - 7 - Malinin, Ma, Kapeikis, Torgashev, Pulkinen, Brown, Naumov
Women - 7 or 8 - Levito, Ziegler, Glenn, Andrews, Seo, Thorngren, Lin-Gracey, Shin (currently SWR #21)
Pairs - 6 - Liu/Nagy, Kam/O'Shea, Plazas/Fernandez, Martins/Bedard, Mokhova/Mokhov, Chan/Howe
Ice Dance - 9 - Chock/Bates, Pate/Bye, Brown/Brown, Green/Parsons, McNamara/Spiridonov, Carreira/Ponomarenko, Zingas/Kolesnik, Bratti/Somerville, Hawayek/Baker

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information