Russia banned from hosting/competing at major international events for 4 years

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
With the Holidays and Drag Race UK (sorry, Love it) Im soooo busy... can someone just reply.... is it like last time that the Russian Flag and skating under the name "Russia" is banned .... or are they going full throttle... and no Russian athletes at major international events including Olympics.......

Vagabond

With the Holidays and Drag Race UK (sorry, Love it) Im soooo busy... can someone just replyT.... is it like last time that the Russian Flag and skating under the name "Russia" is banned .... or are they going full throttle... and no Russian athletes at major international events including Olympics.......
You can find the answer in the first post in this thread. :)

caseyedwards

With the Holidays and Drag Race UK (sorry, Love it) Im soooo busy... can someone just reply.... is it like last time that the Russian Flag and skating under the name "Russia" is banned .... or are they going full throttle... and no Russian athletes at major international events including Olympics.......
inviting so many to Pyeongchang didn’t fix russia so probably one person or team from each sport will be invited
one female gymnast
One male gymnast
One high jumper
One lady figure skater
One man figure skater
One pair team
One luge team
One bobsled team
Etc etc

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

inviting so many to Pyeongchang didn’t fix russia so probably one person or team from each sport will be invited
one female gymnast
One male gymnast
One high jumper
One lady figure skater
One man figure skater
One pair team
One luge team
One bobsled team
Etc etc

WOW, Really? I wonder if they will appeal (and win)....???

@Vagabond I dont read. I'm read to. (tee-hee, - Karen Walker)

MacMadame

Doing all the things
WOW, Really? I wonder if they will appeal (and win)....???
No, not really. It's just his opinion and he's the one who said no Russians would be at the last Olympics and clearly that didn't happen.

ETA I understand not wanting to go back and read 6 pages of posts, but if you don't at least read the article in the first ost, then you really shouldn't be responding to other people's posts.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Ugggg...sorry.. I thought they were saying the correct thing... I then did go and read 2 links and it didnt say anything about that.. It seems like its just going to be like how it was last time.... prove you are not using and then you can compete under a neutral umbrella of some sort.

But between skiing last week, OC Housewives, Jersey Housewives, Atlanta Housewives, Below Deck, Rudolph, Frosty, Charlie Brown... I cant find a moment to read all these threads :( especially the Cipres one...

sigh.....

Im still trying to watch the GPF competitions... (GO Madi The Snake!!!!)

caseyedwards

No, not really. It's just his opinion and he's the one who said no Russians would be at the last Olympics and clearly that didn't happen.

ETA I understand not wanting to go back and read 6 pages of posts, but if you don't at least read the article in the first ost, then you really shouldn't be responding to other people's posts.
Yes I remember when I posted russia would be banned and was called fake news troll and then Russia was banned!!! lol lol lol

mjb52

I guess I'm not sure what this is meant to accomplish. Russia has already been punished at Rio and at Pyongchang. When is it enough? That punishment was in and of itself unprecedented (and given Bukin's situation, I don't have confidence it was applied fairly in all cases) and now there is supposed to be another 4 years, impacting a generation of athletes that is increasingly distant from Sochi. Does anyone think the US would accept a blanket ban of its own athletes in track or cycling, despite the fact that we know doping has been absolutely rampant among them? Of course not.

I'm not going to pretend to be objective at all - I'm not. I love Russian athletes and it would break my heart to see another Bukin situation. But it also feels to me like the magic words "state-sponsored" are being used to justify a double standard and a sort of Kafka-like imposition of eternal punishment for increasingly distant misdeeds.

Vagabond

I guess I'm not sure what this is meant to accomplish. Russia has already been punished at Rio and at Pyongchang. When is it enough?
As explained in the articles in the early posts in this thread, this ban is meant to punish the Russian Olympic Committee for continued state-sponsorship of doping violations since the previous ban. "Enough" is when the state sponsorship ceases. If the current ban is upheld and the state sponsorship doesn't cease, then the next ban will be even more severe.

Last edited:

mjb52

Ah yes, abracadabra, the magic words. I've read the articles and as far as i could tell it wasn't continued "state-sponsored" doping violations. It was just more re-litigation of Sochi under different terms.

Vagabond

Ah yes, abracadabra, the magic words. I've read the articles and as far as i could tell it wasn't continued "state-sponsored" doping violations. It was just more re-litigation of Sochi under different terms.
From the article linked in Post #1:
It comes after Russia's Anti Doping Agency (Rusada) was declared non-compliant for manipulating laboratory data handed over to investigators in January 2019.

It had to hand over data to Wada as a condition of its controversial reinstatement in 2018 after a three-year suspension for its vast state-sponsored doping scandal.

mjb52

It's not an unreasonable question and it's hard for me to express why this bothers me so much. I guess I just don't trust this process or the people involved in it. My recollection is that Russia was re-instated and some people freaked out, creating huge public pressure to reverse that decision, and this was just the pretense used to justify doing so. It doesn't really seem to me to be about fighting doping at this point. It feels like there are some people who simply want to keep Russia out of the Olympics because of whatever resentments they are carrying with them and they are coming up with new excuses for why they are justified in doing so that aren't really about what they claim to be. Like when you are arguing with a friend and they bring up some thing that happened 10 years ago to win the argument. That's a very subjective opinion on my part but it's sincere. I just don't trust the fairness of any of this, to be frank. I don't expect anyone to share my feelings about that, but that is what they are.

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
And yet again the big question is, will the relevant authorities have the balls to ban all Russian athletes and not just allow a few to be “invited”? Because some of the invitees last time got caught doping (not skaters), it does show that the invitation system didn’t really work either.

Of course I feel sorry for any skaters who may not get to compete but what are the alternatives? It’s not feasible for the coaches to relocate all their teams to other countries under the supervision of WADA. The change has to come from within and the way for that to happen is through internal pressure.

skatingguy

decently
It's not an unreasonable question and it's hard for me to express why this bothers me so much. I guess I just don't trust this process or the people involved in it. My recollection is that Russia was re-instated and some people freaked out, creating huge public pressure to reverse that decision, and this was just the pretense used to justify doing so. It doesn't really seem to me to be about fighting doping at this point. It feels like there are some people who simply want to keep Russia out of the Olympics because of whatever resentments they are carrying with them and they are coming up with new excuses for why they are justified in doing so that aren't really about what they claim to be. Like when you are arguing with a friend and they bring up some thing that happened 10 years ago to win the argument. That's a very subjective opinion on my part but it's sincere. I just don't trust the fairness of any of this, to be frank. I don't expect anyone to share my feelings about that, but that is what they are.
As part of the agreement with the IOC that kept the Russian Olympic Committee from being banned in 2016 the Russians were to turn over the documents that showed which of their athletes were involved in the doping program. The Russians turned over a altered copy of the documents which resulted in the the Russian Olympic Committee being banned in 2018, and all the confusion as to why certain athletes were allowed to compete in Pyeongchang under the banner OAR, and other were not. The Russian sporting officials have still refused to turn over the documents in question three years later, hence the new ban. The reason that this is happening is because there is a 10 year statute of limitations on the reallocation of medals & results, and so the Russians are stalling to get to 2025 when the whole thing becomes moot.

Vagabond

Can we not bump up year old threads if the title is misleading? When I saw this pop up this morning I assumed it meant a new, total ban for four years rather than the more mundane news that a hearing has been scheduled regarding the existing "ban."
Russia is still banned, and the appeal is still being considered. I see no cause for a new thread. If you disagree, then open one.

starrynight

Can we not bump up year old threads if the title is misleading? When I saw this pop up this morning I assumed it meant a new, total ban for four years rather than the more mundane news that a hearing has been scheduled regarding the existing "ban."

Yes I was thinking the same thing too.

It sounds more dramatic than it looks. There doesn't seem to be any impact on skating, with Russia hosting GPs and their ladies being a central focus of the sport.

Of course, I'd feel differently about this if I was a fan of cross country skiing or something... but doping isn't the central bogey man of skating. I'd much rather skating focused on sorting out abusive coaching etc etc than this.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Russian athletes at Tokio 2020 (2021) and Beijing 2022 will participate under name ROC (Russian Olympic Comitee)

No russian flag, no russian anthem, they will have to submit a song (as an athem) that must be approved by the IOC

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information