ISU Statement on Russia's war against Ukraine - Participation in international competitions of Skaters and Officials from Russia and Belarus

caseyedwards

Yep. Eteri's entrants in pairs, dance and men all had disappointing results. She has no magic wand; just the ability to convert through starvation and doping, an unlimited supply of prepubescent girls into jumping machines.
These aren’t even her best students. All her best are banned for life

Sylvia

TBD
Rosie DiManno's column for the Toronto Star after the ISU's annual press conference at Worlds (March 22):
Excerpts relevant to this thread:
In the last day, dozens of Russian cruise missiles have struck the Ukraine capital of Kyiv. The International Skating Union expressly banned Russians from participating in any of their sanctioned events, over Russia’s unprovoked invasion of Ukraine two years ago. Yet there are upwards of 20 Russian-born, Russian-coached and Russians who train in Russia competing at this event.
In the matter of athletes from Ukraine who’ve experienced extreme difficulty training at home as their country has been bombarded — even travelling to Montreal was an arduous process — the ISU has actually been harsher on Russian athletes than the International Olympic Committee, which has ruled Russians can compete at the Paris Games this summer as “individual neutral athletes’’ with no flag, no anthem, no national insignias. On Tuesday, the IOC also announced that athletes from Russia (and war ally Belarus) will be barred from participating in the opening ceremonies.
“The war in Ukraine is very tragic,’’ said [ISU president Jae Youl] Kim. “Since the outbreak of the war, the ISU has been very clear on our stance, but at the same time providing all the support we can to the skaters in the Ukraine.’’
ISU director general Colin Smith added that the governing body met with Ukrainian skating representatives on Thursday and “there is support going on that not everyone is aware of.’’
On Russian skaters and coaches sliding by on the legitimacy of dual citizenship: “That’s a whole different topic,’’ demurred Kim. “We’re here this week to celebrate our beautiful, incredible skaters.’’

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Rosie DiManno's column for the Toronto Star after the ISU's annual press conference at Worlds (March 22):
Excerpts relevant to this thread:
That gives me a fair bit of hope/faith that the ISU does not have any plans on lifting the ban anytime soon. I suspect whatever appetite some int'l sports feds may have had will have cooled due to the IOC's announcement/press release last week.

caseyedwards

They banned and permanently expelled a nationality and a nation! are they supposed to ban an ethnicity? Thats what people are declaring here!

divan

russians just hit Odesa with ballistic missiles a few hours ago and damaged the main practice ice rink in Odesa ("Palace of Sports"). Luckily, kids who were at the practice went to the bomb shelter on time and were safe. Here are a video and a photo from the inside:

Lately they started targeting power infrastructure again, trying to cut electricity of the whole cities. Kharkiv is the most damaged one as of today.

Here is a full track of ongoing russian missile attacks on Odesa: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odesa_strikes_(2022–present)

Last edited:

2sk8

russians just hit Odesa with ballistic missiles a few hours ago and damaged the main practice ice rink in Odesa ("Palace of Sports"). Luckily, kids who were at the practice went to the bomb shelter on time and were safe. Here are a video and a photo from the inside:

Lately they started targeting power infrastructure again, trying to cut electricity to the whole cities. Kharkiv is the most damaged one as of today.

Here is a full track of ongoing russian missile attacks on Odesa: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odesa_strikes_(2022–present)
Thank you for sharing this update. Was on a call with people in Odessa today that ended abruptly as they too rushed to a bomb shelter. I sincerely hope the ban is not lifted, as little of a difference as it may make to those living through these senseless attacks.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
That gives me a fair bit of hope/faith that the ISU does not have any plans on lifting the ban anytime soon. I suspect whatever appetite some int'l sports feds may have had will have cooled due to the IOC's announcement/press release last week.
Me, too. But Russians skating for non-Russian countries are in a different category. Despite asshats bragging on the internet, a Russian skating for Georgia or the Netherlands or Italy isn't going to be standing next to Putin as an amplifier for Russian propaganda. I don't fault Volodin for wanting a good partner, he had some bad luck in Russia that had nothing to do with politics. Kurakova left Russia long ago, Davis has legitimate US citizenship, Ponamarenko, Malinin et al are of Russian ancestry but have spent their whole lives in the US, as far as I know Memola is a genuine Italian, some of the Baltic skaters have Russian names but if they're good enough for those rabidly anti-Russian countries, they're good enough for me. So lumping them all together isn't fair.

And Rosie is something of a jerk in general.

divan

But Russians skating for non-Russian countries are in a different category.
Yes and no. Our skaters complain sometimes that some of those migrated russian skaters a making pro-war statements (not publicly of course). It pisses them off and makes participation in ISU events really uncomfortable. But some, especially those who migrated long time ago, are the opposite and openly supporting Ukraine.

Legally, it's extremely hard to ban people based on their origin. ISU operates under the Switzerland legal code, so shall comply with the laws. I don't think they enjoy the thought of a multi-year legal battle in CAS over this.

But, I think, it would be enough to add the rule that prohibits transfers from russia. To my knowledge, the EU doesn't have a legal framework for terrorist state lists, but they did declare russia as a state sponsor of terrorists in November 2022. Maybe this could work. It should be noted that western and russian sports systems are drastically different – while sports enjoy autonomy in developed countries and is built on top of grassroots non-profit clubs, in russia sports is fully government-sponsored and there is no autonomy whatsoever. Like, russians won't understand what 'non-profit sports club' even means. Every russian athlete belongs to and represents this government, regardless of whether they aware of it or not.

At the latest ISU Congress in Phuket, the legal reason for banning russians wasn't a war per se. It was a duty of ISU to protect athletes at the events and the risk of a fight between Ukrainian athletes and russian gnomes for earning medals for putin. And this risk is still in place with all those newly migrated mentally-russian athletes who changed flags. It may very well happen at any of ISU events, and it'll be ugly.

Last edited:

airgelaal

Figure skaters who live and train in russia finance the russian economy in one way or another. So I don’t understand how they can be “outside politics.”
But what I don’t understand even more are foreign athletes (not ex-russians) who continue to train in russia.
I understand that it is difficult to ban all this legally. But these situations are not even actively talked about, it is kept silent.

caseyedwards

Saying to people who train in Russia -because of the ice rinks there- that they have to move to a whole new country if they want to stay in the sport goes beyond the total expulsion and permanent banning of Russia and Russian nationals they are doing.

caseyedwards

Does the ISU pay for Ukrainian skaters?
Yes

The International Skating Union (ISU) has supported the Skating Federations of Ukraine since the start of the war, implementing ISU Communication 2469, and also granting financial support to assist Ukrainian Skaters. The ISU reiterates its sympathy for and solidarity to all affected by the War in Ukraine.Jun

airgelaal

From the last interview with Golubtsova and Belobrov

About additional work

• Golubtsova: "We work as coaches. But we still lack [funds] for accommodation."
  • Belobrov: "Last summer we received Skate Canada licenses. We are trying to find more opportunities to train. I used to work in food delivery."
But in fact, this is a common story for skaters from many countries. And only ex-russians do not want to lose their maximum comfort and choose to live and train in a terrorist country.

airgelaal

Yes

The International Skating Union (ISU) has supported the Skating Federations of Ukraine since the start of the war, implementing ISU Communication 2469, and also granting financial support to assist Ukrainian Skaters. The ISU reiterates its sympathy for and solidarity to all affected by the War in Ukraine.Jun
No, they don't pay for them. It's just "financial support to assist"

airgelaal

Fun discussion. "Georgians" D/S are training in the USA. They trained in the USA even when they were russians. Paying for their training doesn't seem to bother anyone. Now you will tell me that parents pay for them. Who are parents? A coach who earns money in russia.
Or should ISU pay for them too?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Fun discussion. "Georgians" D/S are training in the USA. They trained in the USA even when they were russians. Paying for their training doesn't seem to bother anyone. Now you will tell me that parents pay for them. Who are parents? A coach who earns money in russia.
Or should ISU pay for them too?
Well, one of the parents is a coach who earns money in Russia. The other has a parent who is an actor...

Lil Sarah

Saying to people who train in Russia -because of the ice rinks there- that they have to move to a whole new country if they want to stay in the sport goes beyond the total expulsion and permanent banning of Russia and Russian nationals they are doing.

I mean... we could hit their ice rinks with missiles so they can't train there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information