ISU Statement on Russia's war against Ukraine - Participation in international competitions of Skaters and Officials from Russia and Belarus

carriecmu0503

Did you actually watch the Pairs SP yesterday? Because that was anything but pathetic. Russians? Who needs them?
There were actually several Russian pairs competing in the event under the flags of other countries. Check out the skater bios, and you will see how many of the skaters were born in Russia, live in Russia, and train in Russia with Russian coaches. There were several Eteri sightings yesterday.

caseyedwards

What will Russian figure skating even look like when they're allowed back? Down to one slot. The Russian haven't been that strong. Russian Ice Dance has been hit and miss. The other countries have caught up in Pairs, and I don't see Russians being able to keep up its factory with the new age limit.

Of course he didn't. He's not interested in facts just Russian propaganda
What a lie. This is nonsense. Acting like Russians aren’t the best at doing elements and style is absurd. Twists sbs jumps and spins and lifts are all Lowe level quality and sloppy! Of course sloppy mess Duhamel thinks it’s best ever.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
There were actually several Russian pairs competing in the event under the flags of other countries. Check out the skater bios, and you will see how many of the skaters were born in Russia, live in Russia, and train in Russia with Russian coaches. There were several Eteri sightings yesterday.
As has always been the case. This is nothing new. Just like there are plenty of Americans and Canadians representing other countries.

There was only one Eteri sighting yesterday, FYI - with the "Georgian" pairs team.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Did you actually watch the Pairs SP yesterday? Because that was anything but pathetic. Russians? Who needs them?
Did you see how many 3S and 3T there were? Just last season we were joking about how all the teams were doing 2S!

I was very happy and very impressed with the Pairs SP. Now, we know that in the FS there will be more errors and more teams falling apart, especially at the lower levels. But we should still see a good level of difficulty and nice programs.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
I can’t imagine the Russians aren’t still the best, which doesn’t mean the rest are chopped liver (especially given yesterday). Bottom line it’s a loss but a necessary one, and hopefully the overall field will keep progressing from here.

RoseRed

Two is several? Because there are only two Russian pairs competing for other countries and still training in Russia. There's also Daria Danilova, who trains in Russia. But her partner is Dutch, so they can't be called a 'Russian pair'. The other skaters originally from Russia all train abroad and skate with non-Russian partners: Nikita Volodin, who trains in and reps Germany with his German partner; Ioulia Chtchetinina, who trains in Germany and reps Poland with her Polish partner (and who previously represented both Switzerland and Hungary); Anastasia Golubeva, who trains in and reps Australia with her Australian partner; and Aleksandr Korovin who trains in the US and reps the Philippines with his Filipino-American partner.

None of which is anything new or unusual, as @Karen-W said. In this same event, we have Deanna Stellato (an American now representing and training in Canada), Filippo Clerici (Italian repping Finland, while still training in Italy), and also Simioli/Zarbo, who were both from Italy and used to represent Italy when they started skating together.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Ioulia Chtchetinina hasn't lived in Russia since she was very young. She is Russian in the same way that Jean-Luc Baker is British.
A Polish article I just read today says Ioulia's parents emigrated from Russia when she was three years old (presumably to Switzerland where she first skated pairs internationally with fellow Russian-born Mikhail Akulov).

Last edited:

caseyedwards

You do realize there was a question in my post. Which you did not even attempt to answer.

So again, did you even watch the Pairs SP yesterday?
Without watching strong feelings could not exist and how Duhamel the whole thing was disgracefully. It was just so Duhamel.

carriecmu0503

Two is several? Because there are only two Russian pairs competing for other countries and still training in Russia. There's also Daria Danilova, who trains in Russia. But her partner is Dutch, so they can't be called a 'Russian pair'. The other skaters originally from Russia all train abroad and skate with non-Russian partners: Nikita Volodin, who trains in and reps Germany with his German partner; Ioulia Chtchetinina, who trains in Germany and reps Poland with her Polish partner (and who previously represented both Switzerland and Hungary); Anastasia Golubeva, who trains in and reps Australia with her Australian partner; and Aleksandr Korovin who trains in the US and reps the Philippines with his Filipino-American partner.

None of which is anything new or unusual, as @Karen-W said. In this same event, we have Deanna Stellato (an American now representing and training in Canada), Filippo Clerici (Italian repping Finland, while still training in Italy), and also Simioli/Zarbo, who were both from Italy and used to represent Italy when they started skating together.
Oh GEE, "only" TWO FULLY Russian pairs competing instead of the maximum of THREE! HOWEVER will we deal?!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
What’s his problem with her? Did he make a pass and she told him where to go as any normal girl would?
Who knows? She threw some shade at Russian women and their doping in a pre-Worlds interview with a Belgian news outlet and that made the rounds in the Russian media because they have nothing better to chatter about at the moment. Then Galliamov seized on it and has been acting like an a$$ on his Telegram toward her since.

airgelaal

What’s his problem with her? Did he make a pass and she told him where to go as any normal girl would?
She committed a mortal sin - she doubted the results of the Eteri team.
He also had complaints about Bach. And that's just what I know, since I don't follow him that much.
The best part is that he has no questions for his team. All of them, of course, are real Olympic champions.

airgelaal

Ivan Shmuratko

"[The] full-scale war has been going on for over two years. If he [ISU President Kim Jae-yeol] wanted to do something... Of course, people under the Russian flag are not allowed in, but we all see people coming who pay taxes [in Russia] , which then go to missiles, drones and other equipment that kill us Ukrainians. And this, I believe, is a direct support for the killing of people. Therefore, I want to ask that those who pay taxes for the missiles that fly at me and other Ukrainians, were not allowed to participate in competitions of this level".

airgelaal

Artem Darenskyi
"In general, the performance was not bad. Not the best, but we did our best. We can say that we had a good season, although the training conditions were difficult due to the daily rocket attacks by the russians. Bombs are falling nearby (athletes are training in the Dnipro) and we have been skating in such conditions for the past two years. In the next season, we plan to change the program, music and costumes," said Artem Darenskyi after the performance. The figure skater also shared a common dream with Sofia: that Ukraine would win and the war unleashed by Russia would end.

Sylvia

TBD
Post moved to the Valieva thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-december-25-2021.111518/page-60#post-6573577

ETA a more detailed thread recapping the ISU's annual Worlds presser: https://x.com/anythinggoe/status/1771194654161043797
Relevant to this thread:

"On Russia's ban: Kim refers back to ISU Communication 2469 and that their policy is in line with other federations. ISU Director General Colin Smith adds that they met with Ukranian representatives this week who have expressed their gratitude to the ISU."

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Who knows? She threw some shade at Russian women and their doping in a pre-Worlds interview with a Belgian news outlet and that made the rounds in the Russian media because they have nothing better to chatter about at the moment. Then Galliamov seized on it and has been acting like an a$$ on his Telegram toward her since.
I guess galliamov is the winner

airgelaal

Unfortunately, this is not news to me...

About less attention to the war in Ukraine

• Belobrov: "No one is interested in this now. Some even think that the war is over. This is an unpopular topic."
  • Golubtsova: "People are tired of this news. They want something positive. We are all tired of it and there is little we can do about it. We have many friends who are still in Ukraine. It is difficult."

sjs5572

Yep. Eteri's entrants in pairs, dance and men all had disappointing results. She has no magic wand; just the ability to convert through starvation and doping, an unlimited supply of prepubescent girls into jumping machines.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information