ISU Statement on Russia's war against Ukraine - Participation in international competitions of Skaters and Officials from Russia and Belarus

coppertop1

If the Russians were allowed back for Milano, they would have to qualify at Nebelhorn. Considering they would be "neutral athletes", how would that even work? And would that effect Belarus if they're also allowed back? It sounds like a mess. Just keep Russia out

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
If the Russians were allowed back for Milano, they would have to qualify at Nebelhorn. Considering they would be "neutral athletes", how would that even work? And would that effect Belarus if they're also allowed back? It sounds like a mess. Just keep Russia out
Well, we don't know how/when they would have to qualify yet. There is an ISU Working Group looking at different ways of handling the Olympic qualifying for FS. We should know once the ISU Congress proposals come out what changes they've come up with (if anything).

R

Regjohn1

Does the ISU really care? The Russians aren't missed, and skating seems to be doing well without them. 🤷‍♀️
I don't understand why people are arguing that the loss of Yuzuru Hanyu and the Russian girls are not having a serious impact when both JSF and the ISU actually wrote of the losses due to both of these in their last year's budgets. Read the audit reports.

Things may or may not recover but probably not just yet.

coppertop1

Skating has gotten so much more enjoyable without the abused starved and mighty high Russians.
I think it will get more fans this way around the world and that should offset the financial losses in a couple of years
Exactly this. The Eteri monopoly wasn't interests or exciting. It was boring and predictable, and even worse, abusive and it all came to a head in Beijing. No thanks. I much prefer what we have now. And knowing Russia had 12/13 year olds doing insane quad combos just shows they're not going to change

As for Yuzuru. He retired. It happens

skatingguy

decently
I don't understand why people are arguing that the loss of Yuzuru Hanyu and the Russian girls are not having a serious impact when both JSF and the ISU actually wrote of the losses due to both of these in their last year's budgets. Read the audit reports.

Things may or may not recover but probably not just yet.
It certainly is having a financial impact on the ISU, but the ISU has the funds to weather that loss in the short term. Whether the sport recovers that in the long term will depend on organizing good events like Europeans this season in Kaunas.

skatingguy

decently
I don't think it's been said explicitly, but based on the current rules Russia cannot earn 3 entries for the Olympics in any of the disciplines because they are not competing years World Championships. That won't necessarily stop the ISU from finding a work around because we all know how tied they are to their own rules.

Karen-W

I don't think it's been said explicitly, but based on the current rules Russia cannot earn 3 entries for the Olympics in any of the disciplines because they are not competing years World Championships. That won't necessarily stop the ISU from finding a work around because we all know how tied they are to their own rules.
Well, we aren't really sure, TBH. We didn't encounter a situation coming out of the 2021 Worlds where a country earned the right to compete for TWO spots by having its sole entry finish 1st or 2nd. The rules were written in such a way that said if a country qualified for multiple entries they only had the # of competitors who competed in the 2021 Worlds FS confirmed until the Olympic Qualifying Competition and they could compete to confirm their additional entries. Theoretically, Russia could finish 1st or 2nd in Pairs or Women at Boston Worlds which would confirm 1 Olympic spot and then send 2 skaters to the OQC to confirm the 2 extra spots.

Andrea82

Well, we don't know how/when they would have to qualify yet. There is an ISU Working Group looking at different ways of handling the Olympic qualifying for FS. We should know once the ISU Congress proposals come out what changes they've come up with (if anything).
The proposals of that Working Group won't affect 2026 OG. They are set to be implemented in 2030 ("Subject to finding a consensus for change, work out a proposal for the 2024 Congress for implementation at the 2030 OWG")

Andrea82

Well, we aren't really sure, TBH. We didn't encounter a situation coming out of the 2021 Worlds where a country earned the right to compete for TWO spots by having its sole entry finish 1st or 2nd. The rules were written in such a way that said if a country qualified for multiple entries they only had the # of competitors who competed in the 2021 Worlds FS confirmed until the Olympic Qualifying Competition and they could compete to confirm their additional entries. Theoretically, Russia could finish 1st or 2nd in Pairs or Women at Boston Worlds which would confirm 1 Olympic spot and then send 2 skaters to the OQC to confirm the 2 extra spots.
As the rules are written (whether it is what ISU meant when they wrote it is another matter...), you can't get two entries at the final Olympic Qualification event:
"ISU Members which have earned the necessary points for two or three entries but did not have two respectively three Skaters qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance at the World Senior Championships immediately preceding the OWG. Such ISU Members are entitled to enter one Skater in the qualifying event who, however, cannot be a Skater that had qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance at the World Senior Championships immediately preceding the OWG."

Last edited:

Karen-W

As the rules are written (whatever it is what ISU meant when they wrote it is another matter...), you can't get two entries at the final Olympic Qualification event:
"ISU Members which have earned the necessary points for two or three entries but did not have two respectively three Skaters qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance at the World Senior Championships immediately preceding the OWG. Such ISU Members are entitled to enter one Skater in the qualifying event who, however, cannot be a Skater that had qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance at the World Senior Championships immediately preceding the OWG."
Oh, okay. So, yeah, the most entries Russia could have in 2026 would be 2 in each discipline and that's only if they're allowed to compete at Worlds next year.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think the question is: how successful is Russia going to be with its alternate Olympics? What countries are friends with Russia and so would even be open to such a thing?

North Korea and China, for sure.

Belarus? They are banned now but the sporting world has distanced itself from Russia's invasion of Ukraine and have tried to position its athletes as not only neutral but also victims of the invasion. Joining in with these "Friendship" games would kill any chances they have to get back into their sports at the world level.

Iran? India? Syria? They are actively supporting Russia in the war, as actively as NATO countries are supporting Ukraine. They also aren't a force in many Olympic sports, especially winter sports.

A handful of tiny countries like Myanmar? They have supported Russia's invasion with words but will they turn their back on the Olympic movement to please Russia?

Theoretically, there is The Collective Security Treaty Organization that includes Armenia, Kazakhstan, Russia, Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan. But not all of them have supported Russia's invasion of Ukraine and some have already made public statements distancing themselves from Russia.

Even if every single one of these countries were to sign on, it doesn't seem to me to be enough to have a real competition that would rival the Olympics. And I am doubtful that all of them will sign on. Outside of these countries, no NATO country is going to sign on. I guess there are countries that right now are neutral (not in NATO, not in the CSTO, not publicly an ally of Russia) that might sign on but what would their incentive be?

I am actually all for a better alternative to the IOC who I believe have corrupted the games too much. But this ain't it. It's more like rival mafias fighting for territory.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I just went to that other thread and read the AP article. It's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read this:
AP article by Graham Dunbar (March 19):

At the United Nations in New York four months ago, Russian diplomat Maria Zabolotskaya used a debate on an Olympic truce for Paris to invite the world to the Friendship Games, citing her country’s support for “honest and fair competitions.”

Karen-W

I think the question is: how successful is Russia going to be with its alternate Olympics? What countries are friends with Russia and so would even be open to such a thing?

North Korea and China, for sure.

Belarus? They are banned now but the sporting world has distanced itself from Russia's invasion of Ukraine and have tried to position its athletes as not only neutral but also victims of the invasion. Joining in with these "Friendship" games would kill any chances they have to get back into their sports at the world level.

Iran? India? Syria? They are actively supporting Russia in the war, as actively as NATO countries are supporting Ukraine. They also aren't a force in many Olympic sports, especially winter sports.

A handful of tiny countries like Myanmar? They have supported Russia's invasion with words but will they turn their back on the Olympic movement to please Russia?

Theoretically, there is The Collective Security Treaty Organization that includes Armenia, Kazakhstan, Russia, Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan. But not all of them have supported Russia's invasion of Ukraine and some have already made public statements distancing themselves from Russia.

Even if every single one of these countries were to sign on, it doesn't seem to me to be enough to have a real competition that would rival the Olympics. And I am doubtful that all of them will sign on. Outside of these countries, no NATO country is going to sign on. I guess there are countries that right now are neutral (not in NATO, not in the CSTO, not publicly an ally of Russia) that might sign on but what would their incentive be?

I am actually all for a better alternative to the IOC who I believe have corrupted the games too much. But this ain't it. It's more like rival mafias fighting for territory.
I think they'll be more successful with the Summer version than the Winter version. There aren't nearly as many countries within their sphere of influence (African, Asian and Latin American developing nations, etc) that have a strong winter sports tradition.

And I can't see athletes from countries like China, India or Kazakhstan risking their Olympic status by competing at a non-sanctioned event that does not fall under even WADA regulations/supervision. At best, those countries might send their lower-level athletes to compete, knowing that even if those athletes are sanctioned they'll still be able to send their best competitors to sanctioned international competitions and championships.

But this Winter event tentatively scheduled for Sochi in 2026? I can't see any of the best skaters going there rather than Milano-Cortina. Certainly not Shaidorov, Jin or Peng/Wang.

Willin

Skating has gotten so much more enjoyable without the abused starved and mighty high Russians.
I think it will get more fans this way around the world and that should offset the financial losses in a couple of years
Winning = popularity for a lot of sports like skating (every 4 years for most people).

Korea's ladies are finally breaking through to podiums - helping them to sustain/grow their figure skating program. Japan seems to be sustaining skating's popularity. France and Italy are having a renaissance. We're seeing a lot more small fed success that could lead to more interest in those countries: Team GB's ice dancers are getting a lot of attention now with their podium finishes, Leona and Nina are doing well for Belgium, Switzerland is getting stronger in singles, Hungary (because of Russia's shutdown) is aggressively growing their federation.

And, as sad as it is, the whole scandal has gotten figure skating a lot of interest and newsmedia screen time the world over.

So I think in the long run this may be good - especially if feds can find funding to help skaters. But short term I see how it can hurt.

caseyedwards

What a joke! Everyone can see pairs is dying. That it’s pathetic. A whole discipline is probably going to be eliminated because it’s so pathetic

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Would China really switch, though? Isn't it more impressive to beat the world vs. Russia's state doping, which has consistently beaten their own state-sponsored alterations?

Jayar

What a joke! Everyone can see pairs is dying. That it’s pathetic. A whole discipline is probably going to be eliminated because it’s so pathetic
Is it, though? Countries without a tradition of pairs skating are building programs that are surpassing what used to be 'bottom of the pack'. We are seeing the development of the discipline in ways that we have not seen before-- look at how many teams are at Worlds, just to begin. The discipline is building depth.

caseyedwards

Is it, though? Countries without a tradition of pairs skating are building programs that are surpassing what used to be 'bottom of the pack'. We are seeing the development of the discipline in ways that we have not seen before-- look at how many teams are at Worlds, just to begin. The discipline is building depth.
You may like seeing skaters afraid of twists and throws but it’s horrible!

Vagabond

As I have mentioned before, the Russians' absence from Pairs competitions helps spread prize money around to skaters from various federations so that skaters can use it for training. The same is, of course, true of the Women's events, but the effect has been much more visible in Pairs.

coppertop1

What will Russian figure skating even look like when they're allowed back? Down to one slot. The Russian haven't been that strong. Russian Ice Dance has been hit and miss. The other countries have caught up in Pairs, and I don't see Russians being able to keep up its factory with the new age limit.
Did you actually watch the Pairs SP yesterday? Because that was anything but pathetic. Russians? Who needs them?
Of course he didn't. He's not interested in facts just Russian propaganda

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

Why in the world did you even bite for that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information