Royalty Thread #13: Zooming in on our favorite royals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
You think? Aside from the slightly lose-looking top, I thought her gown was pretty and looked really great on her. And I've got a thing for the way the skirt was cut. I'm not sure I'd ever wear it as I imagine that it's rather difficult to walk in but somehow, I really like it.
The fit of the bodice of Meghan's dress was problematic, I agree. I wondered if she lost weight between fittings because of how poorly fitted it was. But, it was a very interesting dress and I liked it, apart from the fit issue.
I thought Meghan's bright white dress really made her "glow" in a good way. The way a bride wants to be on her wedding day with all eyes on her. I really loved the dress she wore to the dinner as well.
I don't recall thinking the bright white was bad or unflattering on her and I'm sure I would recall as I do quite a bit of custom formal dress making as a side hobby, so if I hadn't liked the color, I would have kvetched to friends & family, lol. The evening dress was stunning.
It is interesting that none of these dresses are bare shoulders and arms even though that has been the most commercially available style. Although not royal, I loved Pippa Middleton's dress. It was lovely on her.
Kate and Meghan's wedding dresses and Pippa's bridesmaid all have replica sewing patterns available by Butterick. Of course they wouldn't have been exactly the same but close enough that when I saw them I immediately recognized the dresses. I did also love Pippa's wedding dress and CP Victoria's is high on my list of faves.

Kate's dress, Meghan's dress, Pippa's bridesmaid dress.

Last edited:

canbelto

My favorite thing about Meghan's wedding get-up was her tiara. I thought the tiara matched her hair and framed her face so nicely.

As for the fit, many brides end up not fitting into their dresses. My cousin's wife bought two sizes too small as "motivation" to lose weight and that was not a good idea for all the reasons you can imagine ...

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Dress makers love strapless dresses because they are easier to fit. Sleeves are much more complicated and time consuming to tailor to a figure! I think that’s why the style is always pushed even though it’s not always the most flattering look.
Never heard that. I don't have a body line for strapless.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I don't favor most of the top 20 because I don't like their necklines. I loved Princess Eugenie's for that reason & she doesn't even get an honorable mention.

Parsley Sage

Dug out my copy of the book "A Dress for Diana"

Diana tried on many sample dresses in the Emanuel's collection to figure out what looked best on her. Her dress was based on the one she liked the best which had a "frill at the shoulder, tiny waist and a big skirt" the dress also has a bow v-neck with a bow.

The Emanuels incorporated some of their signature ideas into the dress with the boned bodice and the use of antique lace. The silk taffeta for the dress was custom dyed and custom woven. They went with ivory to match the antique lace. Some of of the lace they already had in their collection but the piece on the bodice came from the collection of the Royal School of Needlework and had been given to them by Queen Mary. Additional lace was custom made to match for the trim on the train and the bridesmaid dresses.

This is a beautiful book and very detailed. It's full of personal photos and letters. Every detail of Diana's bridal look is covered. Dress, veil, shoes, bouquet, parasol, dress for Madame Tussaud's, bridesmaid dresses, emergency overskirt, and even a "back up" design that was partially finished incase the design of the dress was leaked. The book also covers how much thought and research they Emanuel's put into the dress. They didn't just study the history of royal wedding dresses, they considered the size of St Paul's, and the steps into the cathedral. They also made a great effort to make the dress as British as they could.

quartz

scratching at the light
I almost want to get married again so I can have a wedding dress. :D I didn’t have the courage back then to have a fancy gown, and really, I don’t have the look to pull it off, but its such a fun discussion. When my daughter was engaged I had a whole pinterest board of mother-of-the-bride dresses, most of which were very boho, some very dramatic and goth. Sadly she broke off the relationship and I deleted my board.

MsZem

I see the sea
I loved Eugenie's dress and the body-positive message.

I almost want to get married again so I can have a wedding dress. :D I didn’t have the courage back then to have a fancy gown, and really, I don’t have the look to pull it off, but its such a fun discussion. When my daughter was engaged I had a whole pinterest board of mother-of-the-bride dresses, most of which were very boho, some very dramatic and goth. Sadly she broke off the relationship and I deleted my board.
Does this royal-adjacent wedding look work for you? It's the most boho one I can think of:

quartz

scratching at the light
I loved Eugenie's dress and the body-positive message.

Does this royal-adjacent wedding look work for you? It's the most boho one I can think of:
Not really. The neckline and sleeves are all wrong. I would want full flowy trumpet or poet type sleeves and a scooped neckline that shows cleavage. That’s the one thing I gots in spades. :shuffle: The long wavy hair and flower headband are perfect tho.

Japanfan

I didn't want, and didn't have, a fancy gown. We got married outdoors, in the mountains, so a fancy gown wasn't appropriate. I did wear a white dress, very pretty and strapless, and a cute white shawl (looked like lace, not sure if it was).

I also got married barefoot. My mother-in-law objected to the point that she wasn't going to attend the wedding - in support of my parents, who didn't care about footwear. They were just I was marrying a 'nice guy' - I think they doubted that was ever going to happen. But I did get my toenails and fingernails professionally polished!

For my first wedding, I wore jeans. It was an elopement, and the wedding took place at City Hall.

Vagabond

Parsley Sage

The Queen has received a newly bred rose, The Duke of Edinburgh Rose in honour of what would have been Prince Philip's 100th birthday. It was presented by the president of the Royal Horticultural Society, Keith Weed.

ballettmaus

The Queen has received a newly bred rose, The Duke of Edinburgh Rose in honour of what would have been Prince Philip's 100th birthday. It was presented by the president of the Royal Horticultural Society, Keith Weed.

Interesting to see her so casually dressed. With that dress and cardigan, she could have been my grandmother.

MsZem

I see the sea
Princess Estelle and Queen Maxima had fun appearances this week (not together ;)):
Estelle's outfit is much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information