Royalty Thread #13: Zooming in on our favorite royals

Barbara Manatee

There's a huge list of things they can't eat.
Those articles, though, describe that "forbidden" foods are either things that the Queen's chefs don't cook because she dislikes them, or that are discouraged on tour because they might cause illness. In their own homes or on their own time the royals can double-fist garlic pizza and shrimp curry and wash it all down with ditch water if they want.

MLIS

Actually there is. There's a huge list of things they can't eat. They can't eat garlic and onions, shell fish, pasta, bread, rice, potatoes, tomato sauce, spicy foods, foreign foods, foie gras. They also are not allowed to eat anything with their hands.

Sorry, those articles are nonsense. They avoid certain foods that can cause trouble — indigestion, food poisoning, gas, odours, mess — especially when travelling or they will be meeting a lot of people. Seems sensible to me. The articles use words like “forbidden” and “banned” but that’s just to sound more sensational. If Meghan Markle really had to give up cooking with garlic in her own home the minute she became a royal, I’ll eat my hat.

Last edited:

Lynn226

If this article is correct, then the Cambridge kids know how to cook cheesy pasta. I think the list of "forbidden" foods could possibly be for engagements only and/or the preferences of HMQ. I know there are a few things I don't care to eat in public.

cygnus

Actually there is. There's a huge list of things they can't eat. They can't eat garlic and onions, shell fish, pasta, bread, rice, potatoes, tomato sauce, spicy foods, foreign foods, foie gras. They also are not allowed to eat anything with their hands.

These lists are pretty much made up. They can eat whatever they want, and the Queen has no say in it. There may be certain things that are not generally approved for state and formal dinners- things which are messy and such. But a general google of state dinner menus will show that rice and potatoes are served all the time, and that's just the start of your list.

MLIS

A quick Google image search for “royals eating” will also turn up all kinds of photos of them eating with their hands on public engagements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information